3It was OK
27.8%
2Disliked it
5.6%
1Hated it
5.6%
Average 3.8
18 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 15, 2009 1:08 PM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I think what was the best feature in this film, was the art style. I loved how it kept changing and getting mixed as the title went on. I'm not much of a green thumb, but I enjoyed this.
Jul 28, 2010 6:55 AM

Feb 2010
It was a really nice film. It´s like a lesson on animation history.

From 20s & 30s (Oswald, Betty boop, micky mouse) style, to the days when it was done. B/n into colour. Drawings into animation.

Awesome. Tezuka mixing Bambi with Flowers and trees (even the trees are more or less the same). Very nice (even if the message is a little too... simplistic).
Sep 12, 2012 7:17 PM

Apr 2012
did the development of art style also mirror the squirrel's growth to adulthood? For instance his fur instantly got more detailed when he kissed and "became a man". The changes were quite smooth I thought, I'll look forward to focusing more on the art next time.

despite the themes being as boldly pro-nature as expected*, what I didn't expect was how involved I'd become with the story. The arc covering the first 20 minutes especially (in contrast I'm a pretty "yay earth, boo human" person but wouldn't particularly want to watch something that said that. I'm a sucker for Ghibli environmentalism though, which this reminded me of in parts). Lovely stuff.

Why does Adolf always have to ruin everything? tch

*Actually I didn't think it was an overly simple bad man v good nature - the cute animals were mostly portrayed as bastards too throughout.
---------
Since you can't respond to reviews, and other people may be having the same thoughts as Roriconfan: "Where did the squirrel go??? Where did these mythological creatures appear from???"
BlackoutingSep 12, 2012 7:40 PM
Jan 28, 2015 1:53 PM

Nov 2010
This short was extremely well made. The character design was beautiful and the animation very natural. Osamu Tezuka, I applaud you.
Feb 13, 2015 12:04 PM

Feb 2012
It felt like a lost episode of Fantasia. Its ever switching art styles were perfectly animated with a natural flow, movement and raw emotion(the old dwarf's face. So beautiful). The visual composition is highly allegoric, befitting the enviromantal themes that are told rather directly but with a great poetic sentiment and it really fits the music. A true masterpiece of animation.
In 9/10 cases, the worst thing about an anime is its fandom.
Sep 9, 2016 11:34 PM
Jul 2018
I keep imagining hearing that roller like in the old disney cartoon.

Anyway the sound/music keep me awake from falling asleep. Almost a couple of time considering the story is pretty much sleep inducing. X)
Nov 14, 2018 12:49 PM

Jun 2013
The human being is the worst plague of this planet.
Jan 2, 2019 3:29 PM

Oct 2015
That Hitler lookalike guy sure got what he deserved. That was really impressive of that pot plant to fight back like that, I guess in the end the forest fought for itself.

Good movie with an ever changing animation, it also has a good message about the preservation of our nature. 7/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Apr 3, 2019 4:20 AM

Dec 2008
Almost like a Japanese made Fantasia...but this was not at all anime. What we have is a purely musical, orchestral tale of the ravages down upon nature, by way of human logging of forests. And this is further driven home, in a horrific, overll dramatic way, by showing things mainly from the perspective of animals in said forest. IT starts off with very basic,though well drawn cells instead of actual animation, then it seems ot cycle through the phases that cartoons would go through from the early 20th century all the way up to the late 1980s. A vengeful squirrel and foxy female foxes with teets? I may be a hound dog, but that seemed a tad outta place. MOve over Ferngully, cause this should have been an actual series...sham it wasnt. Although the part about humans being like nazis, hence the logging foreman or man in charge looking axactly like HItler...eh, yeah...no. The Earth Liberation Front (E.L.F.) must have been huge fans of this and Wizards back in the day before the government destroyed them. Anyways, it was very creative, and for that I give it a 6/10. O>o These are the most high brow lumberjacks I have ever seen, or at least their taste in music was ( I JEST!).
Apr 20, 2019 5:53 AM
May 2018
A lot of people doesn't seem to understand that besides the environmental theme, this was also a big reference to the american animation, the fairies and dwarfs representing the enchanting Disney and the nazis representing the decadent tv animation of the 60'. Tezuka did a great work adapting the different types of animations, a real masterpiece.
Oct 15, 2022 6:09 AM

Aug 2017
So beautiful! I loved the "air battle" especially. Sad that Tezuka only completed 2 movements out of 4.

I noticed some coloring mistakes (the purple squirrel looked brown from afar), and one shot of cut down trees used a drawing with technical details written in the top right lol.
Mar 4, 8:16 PM

Feb 2016
Why does Tezuka's website list this as "experimental animation?" The other movies tagged as such don't look anything like this one.
https://tezukaosamu.net/en/anime/experimental-animation
Legend of the Forest is about as experimental as Cleopatra, which is not treated as an arthouse film.
その目だれの目?
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.