Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 29, 2014 7:39 AM

Feb 2014
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow, this was certainly interesting.
I'm not sure though, wether the hypothesis was true, or it was just a manuscript.
Is the little girl a godess?

There is also the very ending where cutting the fish also results into cutting the plane.
Maybe the god isn't the little girl?
May 20, 2015 12:29 PM

Nov 2013
Much better than the first episode (which was pretty good too.)

hentai_eucli said:

I'm not sure though, wether the hypothesis was true, or it was just a manuscript.
Is the little girl a godess?

I personally think that the little girl indeed is a God.
You all need to watch Nami.

Mar 13, 2016 5:18 PM

Jun 2015
Nice Beautiful Dreamer's retake. I liked the monologue part.
Apr 23, 2016 5:04 AM

Dec 2015
It was horribly slow, to the point I had to force my attention several times. I was never a fan of this style of drawings but it sure looks good and contribute to the atmosphere (well build).
The funny chute with the author redeemed it in my opinion but it would have been better as a short animation.

Also, I never had problems with monologues or things being directly told to me in live/animation films and series (though I often heard a lot of complaints about it) until now. Probably the worst aspect of the OAV.

Personal enjoyment: 3/5

Global objective score: 6.5/10
Rei_IIIApr 23, 2016 5:10 AM
Jun 25, 2016 11:53 PM

Feb 2010
Maybe the god isn't the little girl?

Did not thought about that, interesting. I prefered the first a bit.
Apr 18, 2018 12:02 AM

Feb 2013
So... Haruhi? Anyone?
Sep 29, 2018 5:40 PM

Jan 2013
Too much talking for my liking.
It was kinda intriguing, but not intriguing enough.
Mar 23, 2020 9:01 PM
Jul 2018
Doesn't seem like anyone on this whole forum COMPLETELY sh*t on this anime like I thought they would. A fair amount of people seemed to be intrigued by it. I myself think the concept is very intriguing. I think the beginning and ending animations featuring the daughter and the father going about their business in the apartment was fun to watch. Their bodies had nice fluid animation... as did the plane. There were some nice/immersive atmospheres (when things WEREN'T silhouetted). And again, the story the man narrated throughout the entirety of Episode 2's center is a great one on paper... both HIS paper (typewriter) and in terms of making a Twilight-esque episode.

Having said all of that, I really didn't know what he was babbling about half the time. Like someone else on the forum said, many, many times I had to force myself to pay attention. This seemed to trail on for two hairs, actually. There were some points in which watching was torture. Truthfully, I don't think they were trying to cut corners. The limited animation, I believe, was for the purpose of storytelling. But this could've easily just been a mystery audiobook/podcast save for the beginning and ending animations. There was too many still shots to the point where this was just an animated storytime video. ... And less animated then the ones on YouTube.

One last time, I'll say that I am intrigued by the plot. Or the concept the man was spouting on about. About the seemingly and mind-numbingly dense child being, in fact, a goddess, capable of spawning a neverending cycle of fathers -- their whole lives taking place in a dilapidated apartment -- for an unknown amount of time.

I still am confused on what triggers the state of the apartment complex. And how planes and carps tied into the story. And frankly, I don't care either. Because the other components of this episode, as most of us can agree, were m i n d n u m b i n g l y dull. I'd truly call this close to unwatchable. Kudos to the creative minds that conjured this short, BUT, I'd have to say that:

This should not be paired with Episode 1 of Twilight Q. Episode 2 should be viewed of as a spin-off... or an OVA made years after Episode 1... or an entirely different series. Why? By itself, Episode 2 is fine... but in contrast to the other episodes of the Twilight Q series... those episodeS just being ONE episodE... the stark contrast between the two is very apparent. Watching Episode 2 by itself may be an interesting experience but watching it directly after Episode 1 is not recommended.

Reading the MAL reviews, I learned that two different studios concocted these two different episodes, which is why they're so vastly different in animation and storytelling style. So again, they're really only associated under the umbrella of being Twilight Q episodes. But not even production-wise are either episode related.

BECAUSE of everything I just ranted about, it's extremely difficult to "rate" Twilight Q as a whole. I wish both episodes were different OVA's so I could rate Episode 1 as 6/10 and Episode 2 as 2.5/10. Nevertheless, when I DO rate Twilight Q on MyAnimeList, I'm just going to give the 1987 staff the benefit of the doubt with my 6/10 score. I want to give Episode 1 credit where it's due and I don't want my low score of the second episode to get in the way of anything.

Finally, I was recommended I watch "Twilight Q" AFTER leaving comments on the forums of "Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou"... the anime about the cyborg taking pictures in a serene ocean-esque environment. That's really the only reason why I am here. And after watching both episodes, it's apparent what they were talking about when recommending that I watch "Twilight Q". In that Episode 1 is similar to Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou. M'kay. Yeah. I get it now.

And so that was my tangent. Episode 1 was fine. Episode 2 was NOT fine... and I wanted to express my distaste (and close to disdain) for this poor excuse for an "anime" (episode) -- (because again, this is more or less just a series of stills on top of a mystery podcast) -- BUUUT I wanted to also give credit where it was due, in saying that there were certain aspects of Episode 2 that I found entertaining, interesting, and dare I say it, fulfilling.
Apr 28, 2020 11:40 PM

Sep 2014
Surprised no one commented on the twist at the ending

Doesn't it seem like the show makes it out that it's actually the fish that is the god at the end?
May 17, 2020 3:52 AM
Jul 2018
God I loved this so much.

The multiple loops that the surreal narration went into, with the ending little twist after twist and elusive nature - one of the best plots I have ever seen.. it's open to interpretation, but for now what I understood is it's basically about a man who is his own investigator - as in, the man is investigating his own soul. His room that is unkempt and inhabits a man who is a father to a little girl could be a part of his soul or inner universe, the little girl could just be the innocent little child in his heart.. He is speaking of the previous man (men) he was, addressing to the man who will come to investigate him in future and he transcends time and the outer life/inner life are diffused into each other. There could be so many interpretations.. We come to understand that, the entire narration was a narration in a possible script or story written by the 'father' character... (amazing, and this anime is in actuality a script written by someone else, animated by someone else - so meta).

Loved the animation
Loved the direction
Loved the soundtrack
Loved the mood
Loved everything

"I, as an investigator did not select this case of my own violation. Rather the case required an investigator and selected me. It's not a matter of what is fact and what is fiction, it's a matter of which better explains your existence. I humbly suggest that, in the same way as I and my predecessors did, you continue to play a father to this little girl eventually writing your own story on this word processor for the sake of your successor who will come someday to relieve you"

removed-userMay 17, 2020 3:59 AM
Dec 17, 2020 8:45 AM

May 2018
Well, that almost lovecraftian narration was really intriguing.

Nov 15, 2022 7:44 AM

Aug 2017
Actually reminded me of Kazunori Ito's Urban Square a bit with its concept.

removed-user said:
I, as an investigator did not select this case of my own violation. Rather the case required an investigator and selected me

That's a nice metaphor for how some anime creators get their jobs haha
Oct 31, 2023 9:19 AM

Apr 2015
Could the Fish actually be the God all along?
lol this was thought provoking.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Twilight Q Episode 1 Discussion

Futa-chin_Kosuki - Nov 29, 2014

7 by Biisoo »»
Oct 31, 2023 3:42 AM

» Interesting blog

removed-user - Oct 1, 2020

0 by removed-user »»
Oct 1, 2020 1:23 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.