Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) Episode 8 Discussion

Dec 4, 2014 2:24 PM

Shrimperor said:
SwordHand said:
I would have loved it if the anime had shown that shirou had been trolling rin. Would have made that cringeworthy scene downright laughable.

now i really wanna read/see that xD

There is one option where if you sit in the class (i think) where she chucks an eraser at Shirou's head and flips him out of his seat.

Dec 4, 2014 2:26 PM

Solid episode. Shirou isn't annoying at all this episode.
Very mysterious death

Dec 4, 2014 3:18 PM

CorePriest said:
Considering how much stuff is left out, it's worth reading the other two routes too and not just Heaven's Feel. Do you know how many seem to think Shirou is an idiot for not understanding that Rin wants to talk with him in this episode? Tell you what, he knew.

Still he looked very stupid there but it's the studio's fault not the character, if Shirou was staying in the classroom Ufotable could just make the other choice

CookingPriest said:
Fate should still be read though .

better stay away from it ;)

Dec 4, 2014 3:21 PM

KeyToCourage said:
CorePriest said:
Considering how much stuff is left out, it's worth reading the other two routes too and not just Heaven's Feel. Do you know how many seem to think Shirou is an idiot for not understanding that Rin wants to talk with him in this episode? Tell you what, he knew.

Still he looked very stupid there but it's the studio's fault not the character, if Shirou was staying in the classroom Ufotable could just make the other choice

Ignoring Rin to get shot by the eraser would have made him look even stupider in my opinion. The scene they picked was the correct one. How it was executed was not.

KeyToCourage said:
CookingPriest said:
Fate should still be read though .
better stay away from it ;)
Dat bait. As if I didn't see that. ;)

Dec 4, 2014 4:09 PM

It was almost the same as the shoot-the-browser scene except there wasn't any shooting, how bad. Shirou was just there until she pointed at him making clear her intentions, and his reaction seems like he did not know what Rin wants.

Dec 4, 2014 4:14 PM

KeyToCourage said:
It was almost the same as the shoot-the-browser scene except there wasn't any shooting, how bad. Shirou was just there until she pointed at him making clear her intentions, and his reaction seems like he did not know what Rin wants.
In the novel? He knew Rin wanted to talk, if you decide to go out of the classroom, which is the far smarter choice to make Shirou look less like a slowpoke. Only ufotable made it look like he genuinely doesn't know, when it's clear in the novel that he is teasing her.
Modified by CapsuleCore, Dec 4, 2014 4:20 PM

Dec 4, 2014 4:22 PM

CorePriest said:
KeyToCourage said:
In the novel? He knew Rin wanted to talk, if you decide to go out of the classroom, which is the far smarter choice to make Shirou look less like a slowpoke. Only ufotable made it look like he genuinely doesn't know, when it's clear in the novel that he is teasing her.

I think the anime is playing that he realizes it when she points at him. THe problem is execution- they could have focused on his face to show he is trolling her, but alas - maybe its one of scenes that were cut?

Dec 4, 2014 4:26 PM

CookingPriest said:
CorePriest said:

I think the anime is playing that he realizes it when she points at him. THe problem is execution- they could have focused on his face to show he is trolling her, but alas - maybe its one of scenes that were cut?

Exactly. I agree that the execution could be better, because there are too many people who didn't see Shirou was trolling, but I honestly doubt it's a scene that was cut.

Btw, nice new signature.

Dec 4, 2014 4:33 PM

CorePriest said:
In the novel?

No, in the anime.

Dec 4, 2014 4:34 PM

The thing is - the scene does not indicate either way - he does not make clueless face nor he makes troll face.

Maybe they will ad some anime original scenes of him trolling her to make it clearer latter on and have her realize it?

Meh, they might still change that scene for BD release. Would not be the first time.

And yeah, gotta represent dem clocktower shenanigans. :3

Dec 4, 2014 4:46 PM

KeyToCourage said:
CorePriest said:
In the novel?

No, in the anime.
Well, why do you think am I nitpicking? I'm saying it's the better scene to make Shirou less dumb. Again, I'm saying ufotable could have done better. This isn't the first time Shirou is misunderstood.

Although I personally did not have a problem with the Lancer fight in episode 1, I do understand Fai's concerns. Last episode, some people were shitting on Shirou because of his and Archer's childish idiot talk and him saying that he can handle it himself, when ufotable left out the fact that Shirou saw himself as a burden. This episode, I've seen several people who think Shirou must have been blind, and I cannot truly blame them for not paying attention or something, because the scene doesn't indicate very well that Shirou is messing with Rin.

Dec 4, 2014 4:54 PM

No I was making clear that I am speaking about the anime, guess I misunderstand it

They could just make Shirou go out instead of spending some time with a major destruction in one of the rooms and make Rider look like The Exorcist's girl it was amazing
What? Is there a problem with Lancer's fight in episode 1? With the others is understable because of the lack of inner monologue

Dec 4, 2014 4:59 PM

KeyToCourage said:
What? Is there a problem with Lancer's fight in episode 1? With the others is understable because of the lack of inner monologue

Nothing major, but ufotable did omit the monologue from VN where Shirou realizes that Lancer will return for him, that he can't win against Lancer and his plan how to get to the shed, calculating every move - like performing blind defense when he jumps through the window and using Lancer's kick to get faster to the shed.
astroprogs said:
If HF ended up being a single movie, what would it need to do so it can get a high score from all of you?

Not air.

Dec 4, 2014 6:12 PM

Anime is audio-visual. The VN is text based. The only performance based medium that might make as heavy a use of monologue as a book would be a play.

If you want to commit time to monologuing, you're going to have to cut some things. It's also the artist's decision on how to execute something. Some people will like it, some people won't. It's not objectively bad as long as the majority don't mind how it looks.

Monologuing is hard to execute in an anime. It's not "hey, let's just add it in."
How would you even have the monologuing done? Facial expressions? Shirou's inner voice? If he monologues every one or two episodes, couldn't he be misunderstood as narcissistic or pretentious?

Dec 4, 2014 6:14 PM

Aurioch said:
KeyToCourage said:

Nothing major, but ufotable did omit the monologue from VN where Shirou realizes that Lancer will return for him, that he can't win against Lancer and his plan how to get to the shed, calculating every move - like performing blind defense when he jumps through the window and using Lancer's kick to get faster to the shed.

yeah and that problem persists in most of stuff in this anime so far. If it persists in second half we will have a problem.

Dec 4, 2014 7:14 PM

SwordHand said:
Anime is audio-visual. The VN is text based. The only performance based medium that might make as heavy a use of monologue as a book would be a play.

If you want to commit time to monologuing, you're going to have to cut some things. It's also the artist's decision on how to execute something. Some people will like it, some people won't. It's not objectively bad as long as the majority don't mind how it looks.

Monologuing is hard to execute in an anime. It's not "hey, let's just add it in."
How would you even have the monologuing done? Facial expressions? Shirou's inner voice? If he monologues every one or two episodes, couldn't he be misunderstood as narcissistic or pretentious?

I agree with all of this, but the parts CP is mainly focusing on are scenes in which it is impossible to interpret Shirou's stance on a scene through visual means. The two (justifiable ones) he mainly goes on about are his confrontation with Archer post-caster and I guess that scene with Rin outside the classroom. (There might be more, too tired)

It's only two scenes so it's hardly proper criticism, but I agree it is annoying because it legitimately degrades his character to some extent.

The Archer scene is the only one that really gives any reason to stop and think, but I guess they could have fixed the problems with the second scene by going Eraser route XD
Modified by WrongPriest, Dec 4, 2014 7:18 PM

Dec 4, 2014 11:46 PM

SwordHand said:

You speak my language, SwordHand. What's been done so far is pretty good in my opinion. We'll see how it continues down the road. An adaptation cannot be all things at all times to all people. Decisions have to be made, and I'd rather things be told in the most visual and least monologue way possible.

Dec 5, 2014 12:01 AM

Instead of showing that Shirou knew she was there for him(arent we being TOO sensitive to how others see him) I would prefer to see the scene where everyone "ignores the reality" after Rin screams and calls him idiot.

Dec 5, 2014 3:45 AM

SwordHand said:

Yeah. I mean this is kinda important to UBW but alas we will never see it.

There's also the internal monologue where Shirou worried about Archer trying to save him in episode 7.
He hates Archer but doesn't want him to get hurt. That sounds lewd.

Dec 5, 2014 12:19 PM
No adaptation is perfect, but no one can deny it's pretty fucking amazing so far.
That's probably one of the few shows I'll go out of my way to buy once the blu-rays are out next year. They've done an amazing job, I'm even starting to like Shirou more and more and Rin and Saber look amazing <3

Dec 5, 2014 12:53 PM

Holy shit Rider got demolished, that headspin reminded me of a horror film lol.

Dec 5, 2014 10:36 PM

SwordHand said:

the facial expressions are already covered...for the most part..maybe a little smirk could have been thrown in for the rin scene. Not sure about the pretentious thing but i don't think it would hurt too much if he got little lines of monologue here and there like in his fight with rider he could have gotten a little line or two of inner thought like "something isnt right" as an example

Dec 5, 2014 10:42 PM

I think the way they're trying to approach the anime is to avoid the "god's point of view." Shirou's thoughts are as hidden as the other characters', but we know more about him simply because the camera's on him a lot of the time.

Little comments under the breath could probably be fit in here or there, sure.
I just don't think the whole "voice in the head" concept would work well. And it would be a bit weird if the protagonist talked to himself too much.

Dec 6, 2014 5:50 AM

The expressions of Saber, Shinji and Rin were marvelous
Tsundere mode of Rin was a real treat

Summoning Saber over was an epic entrance
Scenes looked like from a movie with really good angles
Too bad Rider bites the dust already

Dec 6, 2014 11:41 AM

Was expecting more from Rider. Too bad..

Dec 6, 2014 11:45 AM

StormViruz said:

You'll get a lot of her in the Heaven's Feel movie(s).

Dec 7, 2014 2:01 AM

Ugh after all that they let Shinji just slink away? They don't even beat his ass up a bit for all the shit he has done? Cmon he at least deserves a falcon punch to the face.

Dec 7, 2014 4:47 AM

WolfWood37 said:
Ugh after all that they let Shinji just slink away? They don't even beat his ass up a bit for all the shit he has done? Cmon he at least deserves a falcon punch to the face.
Well they need to take care of the injured students, he took advantage of it and ran away.

Dec 7, 2014 2:55 PM

Pretty good episode, Saber was great again. Poor Rider, this time she had to die so soon.
And it was nice to see Shirou caring for Sakura even if she didn't get to say anything this time.

And am I the only one who thinks that they are overdoing it little with Tohsaka dere part? She is blushing almost constantly. I dunno, as far as romance goes on, I feel it's pretty one-sided so far.

Dec 7, 2014 2:57 PM

ZeroDragon said:
StormViruz said:

You'll get a lot of her in the Heaven's Feel movie(s).

Though Rider in Ataraxia is obviously the best.

Dec 7, 2014 3:07 PM

Mich666 said:

And am I the only one who thinks that they are overdoing it little with Tohsaka dere part? She is blushing almost constantly. I dunno, as far as romance goes on, I feel it's pretty one-sided so far.

Most of shirou side of it is in his thoughts, which we don't get to see because apparently monologues are bad.

Dec 7, 2014 3:15 PM

Mich666 said:
Pretty good episode, Saber was great again. Poor Rider, this time she had to die so soon.
And it was nice to see Shirou caring for Sakura even if she didn't get to say anything this time.

Missing monologue he's talking about (I think)

Dec 7, 2014 3:35 PM

nocorras said:
Mich666 said:

Missing monologue he's talking about (I think)

One amongst many.

The very first one is in prologue itself actually where

The only case we HAVE seen that is left in was his "early today, Tohsaka?" line in prologue

Dec 7, 2014 3:40 PM

Mich666 said:

Who wouldn't fall in love with her?
Shirou doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would ever go on the offensive in terms of romantic situations.

Dec 7, 2014 3:47 PM

SwordHand said:
Mich666 said:

[spoiler]Gil....
Modified by mira-pyon, Dec 11, 2014 2:13 PM
The sun is a deadly laser

Dec 7, 2014 3:50 PM

you know full well that name's a spoiler.

Dec 7, 2014 3:53 PM
mirakura said:
SwordHand said:

G....

But he only loves himself (and his chain), is not a good example :/
Modified by GreenSnow, Dec 7, 2014 4:06 PM

Dec 7, 2014 4:00 PM

mirakura said:
SwordHand said:

G....

Well, he is the special case, we all know he only loves Kotomine :]

On the more serious note though, I don't remember her blushing so frequently in novel.. Anime feels like Ufo is literally pushing her onto Shirou whereas it was bit decent and clever thought out in VN (where Tohsaka had the position of knowledgable teacher who teaches her pupil of magic - well, but we all know that Ufo is omitting those fundamentals, planning sessions and explanations and as matter of that her role isn't as strong in anime). Because no matter how you look at it, Tohsaka always was walking magic encyclopedia (in all routes) and to have her role denied here means that they also stripped those little situations that got her and Shirou close to each other (ofc, not everything got lost in the process, but... well).
Modified by Mich666, Dec 7, 2014 4:04 PM

Dec 7, 2014 4:08 PM

Mich666 said:
mirakura said:
Gil....

Well, he is the special case, we all know he loves Kotomine :]

On the more serious note though, I don't remember her blushing so frequently in novel.. Anime feels like Ufo is literalry pushing her onto Shirou whereas it was bit decent and clever thought out in VN (where Tohsaka had the position of knowledgable teacher who teaches her pupil of magic - well, but we all know that Ufo is omitting those fundamentals, planning sessions and explanations and as matter of that her role isn't as strong in anime). Because no matter how you look at it, Tohsaka always was walking magic encyclopedia (in all routes) and to have her role denied here means that they also stripped those little situations that got her and Shirou close to each other (ofc, not everything got lost in the process, but... well).

I think I get what you're coming from? Tohsaka had explained most of the mechanics of the Grail War back in Ep. 2, and talked with Shirou about magic in her living room. Most of the magic talk had been about inheritance and what constitutes a real mage, and very little about magic mechanics, but that could change when Shirou's magic becomes a focus in the story.

On the note of blushing: you're comparing sprites with a fully animated character. She was blushing when confronted with a defiant Archer after his summoning. The novel didn't want to overuse the blushing, or it would lessen the effect of certain scenes, but that doesn't change the fact that Rin has very little experience with having a friendly relationship with a male.

Relevant:
Modified by SwordHand, Dec 7, 2014 4:41 PM

Dec 10, 2014 3:31 PM

Saber entrance was so badass. Fangirling

Ugh, I seriously can't stand Shinji and his laugh -.-
The higher I get , The lower I'll sink.

Dec 11, 2014 2:15 PM

GreenSnow said:
mirakura said:
G....

But he only loves himself (and his chain), is not a good example :/

[spoiler]And his Seiba. And his Haku~non
The sun is a deadly laser

Dec 11, 2014 6:42 PM

Did Rider's neck do a 720 rotation? Wow!!

Sent with Mal Updater

Dec 11, 2014 6:44 PM

Hannah_Ana said:

Sent with Mal Updater

If only this show was animated by SHAFT.

But for reals... could you guys imagine if Shinbou was directing this shit?

Dec 11, 2014 6:50 PM

Is that a joint where the neck is supposed to be?

... Good lord.

Dec 11, 2014 6:58 PM
Hannah_Ana said:

Sent with Mal Updater

To be honest, even I was weirded out by that. It's like the bone was missing for it to rotate that much.

It wasn't really that necessary, they could have just showed her with a broken neck.

Dec 11, 2014 7:00 PM

Alviam099 said:
Hannah_Ana said:

Sent with Mal Updater

To be honest, even I was weirded out by that. It's like the bone was missing for it to rotate that much.

It wasn't really that necessary, they could have just showed her with a broken neck.

But it wouldn't have been as

Dec 11, 2014 7:12 PM

SwordHand said:
Alviam099 said:

But it wouldn't have been as
or mature

Dec 11, 2014 7:15 PM
True, but it was way over the top. How MANY rotations Rider's head have gone through for Shirou and Rin to be able to see it? Crap.

Dec 11, 2014 7:18 PM

Alviam099 said:
True, but it was way over the top. How MANY rotations Rider's head have gone through for Shirou and Rin to be able to see it? Crap.

Haha, Oh god that mental image. Just doing 360's for half an hour.

Actually I think something dislodged at just the second they came though, and her head just fell with nothing to hold it but skin and some smashed bone.

Dec 11, 2014 7:27 PM

WrongPriest said:
Alviam099 said:

Haha, Oh god that mental image. Just doing 360's for half an hour.

Actually I think something dislodged at just the second they came though, and her head just fell with nothing to hold it but skin and some smashed bone.

Like her body was barely hanging on in the first place and Rin's footsteps did the trick.

Pages (16) « First ... « 11 12 [13] 14 15 » ... Last »