Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Nov 27, 2014 10:09 AM

Jun 2014
My main problem with it is how overpowered Near was made and how it lost some of the suspense of the first episodes but otherwise I still really liked it. If I had to rank the various parts, it would be
Episodes 1-15: 10/10
Episode 16-25: 9/10
Episodes 26-37: 8/10

The weakest part for me would be the first three episodes of the Yotsubato arc when Light lost his memory since those episodes severely lacked tension and were predictable (like Soichiro threatening to kill Light) but I can see how they were necessary. So the last third didn't feel like Death Note became shit to me but I've just seen so many people say that so I felt like asking MAL.

I'm sure people don't just hate it because their favourite character died so what's the reason?

PS. Please no "People have different opinions" replies since that's obvious, I want arguments to support those differing opinions.
AgafinNov 27, 2014 10:13 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 27, 2014 10:13 AM

Jul 2012
L's one of my "I don't really care for" characters but having him die did make the story less interesting. I found the first 25-ish or so episodes done really well in the thrills/action/mystery department which is one of the show's strongest points but after L died, it was more about how Light is trying to hide from Near who was (I agree with you) overpowered and I thought he was unnecessarily strong as he was supposed to be L's successor, not someone much better than him.
Nov 27, 2014 10:16 AM

Jun 2014
mayukachan said:
L's one of my "I don't really care for" characters but having him die did make the story less interesting. I found the first 25-ish or so episodes done really well in the thrills/action/mystery department which is one of the show's strongest points but after L died, it was more about how Light is trying to hide from Near who was (I agree with you) overpowered and I thought he was unnecessarily strong as he was supposed to be L's successor, not someone much better than him.

I agree with you but is that enough for the show to become "unwatchable garbage" like some say? Or maybe you don't belong to that category in which case never mind.
AgafinNov 27, 2014 10:23 AM
Nov 27, 2014 10:17 AM

Jul 2012
Agafin said:
mayukachan said:

I agree with you but is that enough for the show to become "unwatchable garbage" like some say? Or maybe you don't belong to that category in which case I apologise.

People over-exaggerate on MAL, that's all. There are people who think the top 100 anime are garbage but reality is most of them deserve 6+/10 at least.

I'm on the "It was pretty great but lost some of it's magic near the end" side.
Nov 27, 2014 10:25 AM

Jun 2014
mayukachan said:
Agafin said:

I agree with you but is that enough for the show to become "unwatchable garbage" like some say? Or maybe you don't belong to that category in which case I apologise.

People over-exaggerate on MAL, that's all. There are people who think the top 100 anime are garbage but reality is most of them deserve 6+/10 at least.

I'm on the "It was pretty great but lost some of it's magic near the end" side.

Yeah I see, thanks
Nov 27, 2014 5:13 PM

Jul 2014
I agree, the last third of Death Note being hated is oversold on Mal. I will agree that it loses some of it's greatness, but truth be told, Death Note stayed true to itself (and it's entire point-theme of the story) until the very end; especially the final episode.
Nov 28, 2014 5:10 AM

Jun 2014
^Yeah, it was thematically consistent with the rest of the show. The last episode was really sad particularly for Light, Misa and ofc Matsuda. This second part of Death Note also has episode 36 which is arguably the most intense episode in the entire series.
Nov 28, 2014 6:31 AM

Oct 2008
Agafin said:

I agree with you but is that enough for the show to become "unwatchable garbage" like some say? Or maybe you don't belong to that category in which case never mind.

I think you're just full of crap .No one besides trolls or flamers say that Death Note is "unwatchable garbage" and if they do well you should know better that it isn't and not give attention to such allegations.

The third part is significantly inferior ,especially character and just overall writing wise.Even the author himself said that he wanted to end the series before it but the publication where the manga was publicized made him continue making due to the huge success it received, so obviously no matter how you try to defend it facts are facts.Some things work better in longer runs some things don't and just outstay their welcome ,DN was clearly the second case.
It still doesn't change the fact that its still a good series overall,and especially great as a gateway anime for non anime viewers.
Nov 28, 2014 6:37 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I don't hate it at all, it's just "not as good" as the first 2/3 of it is.

Eps 1-25 is unquestionably 10/10 in my eyes, and 26-37 is more like 8/10 or so I'd say. 8/10 is still very good so I'm not hating on it just because it's not quite as amazing as the first part is.

After L died, there's just not as much intensity to keep the story going. What makes Death Note so good is the entire Light vs L battle of wits, and when you take out the second half of that equation, it's just not the same anymore. Now I actually really liked Near as a character as well, but he still can't hope to replace L for the sake of keeping up the same level of plot twists.

The eventual ending itself is good though I think. Not exactly Code Geass levels of epic finale but still a great conclusion to the story.
Nov 30, 2014 7:35 AM

Sep 2014
at least is not shit, like code ge-ASS
Nov 30, 2014 7:49 AM

Dec 2013
The second part just didn't feel like a masterpiece anymore to me. I felt like the plot culminated at episode 25 and the rest was just... not as intense, not as important. Wasn't that bad, wasn't that good either.
Nov 30, 2014 8:00 AM

Aug 2012
tl;dr. Personally i find the first half (not third) of Death Note great, the last half bad. Bad as in the first one was much better. I would have prefered for the show to finish at that point. There were still good details in the last part of the show, but it just didn't feel the same anymore. But i tend to have an opinion similar to this regarding quite a few ~short shows.
Nov 30, 2014 8:11 AM

Jun 2013
There are 2 key moments for Death Note transition which divide it into 3 parts, and at the same time, lowering it's scoring.

First one is appearance of Misa. Simply put, she is nothing more then a plot device. She is there to kickstart plot again, when there was nothing else you could do to bring L and Kira together. Also, add to that that she was extremely annoying.

Second would be L's death, or if you want, appearance of Near. At that point, it was obvious that it was made for money milking. Movie did justice to L, and that is how anime should have ended. Me, I never watch beyond L's death. I rewatched Death Note 3 times now, and never went beyond that point. Near was, simply put, L's rip off. While L was cool, interesting and friendly guy, who actually needed help of police and used them accordingly, Near was straight up cocky little douche who casted them off, acted like a complete asshole towards everyone, and we basically never saw his character develop beyond that asshole point. I gave Death Note 10/10, simply because I deleted Near. He does not exist for me, at all.
Dimitrije1606Nov 30, 2014 8:16 AM
Ad Astra Per Aspera
Nov 30, 2014 10:46 PM
Nov 2014
I agree completely with Dimitrije1606. I've rewatched Death Note recently and stopped right after L died.
It makes sense conceptually that Light would ultimately get caught and die through his own arrogance and misguided sense of justice, and I saw the last third of the series as nothing but setup for his inevitable demise, but it was so poorly executed.
L struggled every step of the way to believe that Light was Kira often giving low percentages on how likely it was, but it was his unbreakable intuition that wouldn't relent on him. Near however just knew, and he just came across as much more vengeful than L was. L and Kira represented two sides of a coin, two separate viewpoints on righteousness, which alone is what made Death Note so popular. Near represented none of that. At least to me.

I feel like the climax should've instead revolved around Light and his dad instead of introducing Near.
Nov 30, 2014 10:57 PM

Apr 2013
After L die I lost half of my interest in death note, it's just too predictable
Dec 2, 2014 3:17 PM

Nov 2013
Because people have different opinions, I guess.

DN is perfection though.
Dec 3, 2014 12:23 AM

Sep 2013
In order to understand why people hate the last third, you have to understand why people like the first 2/3rds. Death Note was unique in that all the twists the plot took came from how L and Light maneuvered and tried to outwit each other.

There is a 10 episode stretch (27-36) where this no longer is the case. The story decides to hide the plans made by each side from the viewer and only gives us hints about what steps they're taking. Emphasis is now put on having a dramatic reveal on a series of previously unknown events, and no longer are we watching two minds duel it out.

In other words: it became like every other detective drama. That's not to say it was bad, but it lost what made Death Note special.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 3, 2014 12:52 AM

Jun 2014
For a large portion of the show it was Light vs L. We were seeing epic battles of wits and genius, wondering who was going to come out on top ... and then L dies, and the show loses that appeal. We're introduced to Near who is just - no. They overpowered him too much. There was no mystery involved any more, no battles of wits and genius - nothing that made Death Note so great to begin with. As soon as Near came in, you knew Light was going to lose.

Plus, Near was just plain unlikeable. There was absolutely nothing to like about him, whereas L had his quirks, things that made him seem less like a robotic genius and more like an actual human being.
Dec 3, 2014 12:59 AM

Jan 2009
its been a long time since i have seen Death Note but didnt Near said that he won because of the help of L and that blonde genius teenager too? i dont think Near is that overpowered he just got better information from the hints coming from L and the blonde genius teenager that i forgot his name
Dec 3, 2014 3:02 AM

Jun 2013
j0x said:
its been a long time since i have seen Death Note but didnt Near said that he won because of the help of L and that blonde genius teenager too? i dont think Near is that overpowered he just got better information from the hints coming from L and the blonde genius teenager that i forgot his name

That is not what matters. True, Light was at disadvantage the second he started his battle with Near, because Near knew about Death Note while Light didn't know about Near's full name or face. What I want to say, some new bullshit kid was smart enough to defeat Kira, opponent which even world's greatest detective, L couldn't. I do not accept that. We knew that Light would die, so it was just painful to watch. That is why I say movies did justice to L.
Ad Astra Per Aspera
Dec 3, 2014 3:19 AM

Jul 2014
Dimitrije1606 said:
j0x said:

That is not what matters. True, Light was at disadvantage the second he started his battle with Near, because Near knew about Death Note while Light didn't know about Near's full name or face. What I want to say, some new bullshit kid was smart enough to defeat Kira, opponent which even world's greatest detective, L couldn't. I do not accept that. We knew that Light would die, so it was just painful to watch. That is why I say movies did justice to L.

You know Near beat light because of luck right? same as how he beat L because of luck.
Dec 3, 2014 3:21 AM

Jan 2013
The only thing why is because people couldnt stand L removed from the show.
I enjoyed the show just as much before L was gone.

Allthough I did prefer L over N
Dec 3, 2014 3:22 AM

Nov 2014
It's been a while since i've watched death note, but from what i recall the last third/half of the series lacked just wasn't as thrilling. I think it didn't help that L died and he was a major of part of why the series was so good-plus it didn't help that Near wasn't half as good a character in comparison, plus i didn't think the ending was that great

So my opinion is that the second half wasn't that bad, but lacked what made Death Note thrilling
Dec 3, 2014 1:12 PM

Nov 2013
Dimitrije1606 said:
j0x said:

It was Near + Mello not Near alone.

You said it yourself, Light beat the greatest detective in the world. He got overconfident and underestimated both Near and Mello. It didn't help that he had 6 years where everything went exactly as he pleased and with no one going after him (no one he is aware of).
Dec 3, 2014 1:55 PM
Jul 2018
For me, one of the best aspects of the series is the relationship between Light and L. That said, I was sad when he died and did feel like the series lost a little bit of its luster, but I still enjoyed it to the end and manage to watch the entire series in two days.

So... I don't know. For me the latter part isn't quite as good as the episodes with Light and L, but it's still a damn good show.
Dec 3, 2014 2:30 PM

Sep 2014
Death Note is about the tension between L and Light, if one of them is not there well...it is just another detectivestory

Also N sucks
Dec 3, 2014 10:08 PM

Sep 2013
guywholikesanime said:
Death Note is about the tension between L and Light, if one of them is not there well...it is just another detectivestory

Also N sucks

Exactly this.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 14, 2014 6:55 AM

Jun 2014
mickdrew_99 said:
guywholikesanime said:

Also N sucks

Exactly this.

I like this explanation. But it is not entirely true though, since I enjoyed Light Vs Naomi almost as much no matter how short it was. If sha wasn't emotionally affected by her husband's death, she would've been extremely dangerous for Light (in a realistic manner, not like that plot device of N). And yes, Near sucks.
Dec 15, 2014 7:45 AM

Jan 2009
well to be honest N needed a proper debut or an interesting storyline before L's death. the poor kid got mixed into the story right after L's death and tries to fill his shoes so it is easily understandable for people to hate N (even though i like N).what's the point of spending a great deal of time making a character super interesting only to kill it and replace it with new characters to do his job without putting much time to develop the new characters.(maybe we are not suppose to like Near or something like that)

as for N being Overpowered even though he did an amazing job considering his age and lack of experience he got lucky (Light got Lucky against L too. this doesn't mean L was the smartest of all, it all depends on their conditions plus like i said N was very young so considering his age he really is amazing). when N entered the story Light already played his hands to defeat L and wasn't aware of N so he was exposed while in L's case it was Light that had the real advantage. just like L, Near used provoking as a method to lure Light but without Mello's "help" he couldn't win. old Light could probably handle N and could even probably guess that Mikami might not listen and act on his own on Takeda's Case but the new Light that defeated L got ahead of himself.

as for me i don't hate the last part at all. i actually hate the whole Yatsuba w/e arc more than other ones. while i think Death Note is epic the reason why i don't count it as a masterpiece is not because of N, it's because of all the convenient things in the story plus some really stupid supporting characters that makes me want to punch them whenever i rewatch or reread Death Note. (wish Naomi lived a little more at least she could make things more interesting)
amirhossDec 16, 2014 7:47 AM
Jan 1, 2015 5:45 AM

Feb 2014
It just wasnt as great as it had been. If it had been done better, differently, then it could be a 10. Well, theoretically.
Jan 4, 2015 5:29 AM

Aug 2012
mayukachan said:

^ This. I didn't care for L but he did had some things going for him making him interesting.

How he suddenly died, killed by Remu, which was so convenient (even though at the beginning Remu said he wouldn't fall in love with Misa) was a bit anti climatic.

Then came the ever so annoying Mello - Near duo.

Mello was completely useless except for forcing Light into killing the Director, which gave away Kira's presence in the Police (like he did when the Police suspected him to be a student in the first episodes and he swiftly changed his killing schedule after seeing the police investigation in his dad's PC).

Then Mello decided to abduct Light's sister and then his Father had to give em the original Death Note in exchange. Which later the original shinigami owner came for and gave em instructions and the fact that the 13 days fake rule was fake. Which was later on transmitted to Near by Mello.

The only other part Mello played was the abduction of Light's college girlfriend now a speaker on TV. I dunno why he made her remove her clothes, but the she was able to kill him since she had his real name (thanks to Light's father who died for it). THEN Mikami decided to kill her, while Light was already doing so. Because of that girl's abduction by Mello, Mikami made the error of writing her name in his real Death Note he had concealed in his bank chest. Which was Light's ultimate downfall in the end.

Near was equally useless, but he had the FBI and whatnot supporting him, and great financial means to do what he wanted (and his stupid toys). He was totally rellying on assumptions to support his claimes, and had an absolutely annoying voice in the anime.

Overall, the last third of the anime went downhill for those 2 characters. I didn't dislike Misa nor his college girl friend at all & loved Mikami's design and character personality. Too bad Mello & Near ruined the show.

Jan 4, 2015 5:34 AM

Oct 2013
I watched Code Geass and Deathnote at the same time years back and I was so disappointed when Light didn't complete his goal when Lelouch did.
Jan 4, 2015 5:35 AM

Feb 2014
Because N<L

Ussualy there has to be some kind of upscale for every new character for the story to proceed, and peeps didn't like this one
Jan 5, 2015 12:03 AM

Jun 2013
StrayBotato said:
Dimitrije1606 said:

It was Near + Mello not Near alone.

You said it yourself, Light beat the greatest detective in the world. He got overconfident and underestimated both Near and Mello. It didn't help that he had 6 years where everything went exactly as he pleased and with no one going after him (no one he is aware of).

But still, that means that I am supposed to accept Near and Mello as some sort of super geniuses on L level? No, I refuse that. A supposed super powerful character who appears out of nowhere just to give MC and opponent is not how you write a story, especially one of Death Note level. I think guywholikesanime wrote what I meant in a shorter sentence. Death Note was all about L and Light. When L died, it pretty much all fell apart.
Ad Astra Per Aspera
Jan 6, 2015 5:47 AM

Jul 2013
I hate it because of Near. Didn't Near say that together (Near + Mello) are equal or even better than L? When he said that, all I wanted to do is this:

Jan 20, 2015 2:23 AM

Jul 2014
Honestly simple answer to the question is: Haters have to hate on something and the last third of Death Note was just a vulnerable target because it was slightly inferior to the rest of the masterpiece (except the last episode which can be argued as the single greatest episode in all of anime). The fangirls lost their favorite character. The haters didn't understand everything that happened in the last third of the anime and decided they'd use their stupidity to hate.
Jan 23, 2015 1:35 AM

Apr 2007
Mickdrew said:
guywholikesanime said:

Also N sucks

Exactly this.
Feb 28, 2015 5:18 PM
Sep 2014
CEMPUNK said:
Mickdrew said:

Exactly this.

Yeah Near sucks
Feb 28, 2015 5:25 PM

Jan 2015
Well, I really liked the last 2 Episodes of Death Note. I really was waiting for them. When I watched Death Note I dropped it twice after the second half, and, one day, I watched the last 7 episodes. I think the second half is weak, except for the very ending.
Feb 28, 2015 7:23 PM
Sep 2014
Trazilibo said:
Well, I really liked the last 2 Episodes of Death Note. I really was waiting for them. When I watched Death Note I dropped it twice after the second half, and, one day, I watched the last 7 episodes. I think the second half is weak, except for the very ending.

When Light lost against Near and got killed i flipped off my laptop.
Mar 4, 2015 6:27 AM

Dec 2013
ccdewa said:
After L die I lost half of my interest in death note, it's just too predictable

lol
>Death Note
>predictable
Mar 4, 2015 6:32 AM

Dec 2012
I really think the biggest reason is L
Mar 4, 2015 6:53 AM
Jan 2013
I though that even the creators didnt wanted to do the last part of the series?

*Cough*DidntWatcherOrReadDeathNoteThoughIDoKnowWhatHappensCauseSpoilersWeeee,FML*Cough*

But from what I've seen from Bakuman (Same creators as Death Note)

*Spoilers of Bakuman ahead*

gone bai bai
Mar 8, 2015 9:33 AM

Nov 2013
Mkim said:
I though that even the creators didnt wanted to do the last part of the series?

*Cough*DidntWatcherOrReadDeathNoteThoughIDoKnowWhatHappensCauseSpoilersWeeee,FML*Cough*

But from what I've seen from Bakuman (Same creators as Death Note)

*Spoilers of Bakuman ahead*

Well, maybe those Bakuman spoilers give some hints of what happened in real life, or maybe not, we can't be sure of that.

Anyway, L's a very good character, and one that makes the story interesting. Having him gone would make many disappointments, and suddenly we are shoved with new characters.

The story/plot lost its intensity imo, but not really worse. It's inferior than the first 2/3 part, but not that bad to get a lot of hate.
Mar 8, 2015 9:35 AM

Jan 2013
tsudecimo said:
I really think the biggest reason is L

This.
People couldnt stand their fav. character dying.
I thought the show was fine and still entertaining even after the death of L.
Mar 8, 2015 9:39 AM

Apr 2013
Cause we all know after L die it should be obvious that Light will also die sooner or later, and the whole story become really predictable
Mar 8, 2015 9:42 AM

Jan 2013
ccdewa said:
Cause we all know after L die it should be obvious that Light will also die sooner or later, and the whole story become really predictable

If you predicted that was exactly bound to happen, good job.
I didnt think the moment L died that Light would die sooner or later, and it wasnt predictable for me.
Apr 2, 2015 2:03 AM

Dec 2014
Let me explain this... Death Note was Kira vs L. The brilliance was Kira vs L. The awesomeness was Kira vs L. Killing L.... ok fine I can accept that somewhat. But bringing two kids from an orphanage with legendary intelligent minds.... I mean, "together" they surpassed Light and L (although I don't believe this) who are undoubtedly the most brilliant people on Earth. Mere kids. And the way it was done, although great, was annoying because it meant that Light made so many mistakes. Sorry, but they should have ended it with L.
I was here? Prove it.
Apr 2, 2015 2:05 AM

Apr 2013
Because L was irreplacable so killing him off and then continuing the show was a bad choice.
Apr 3, 2015 5:11 AM

Mar 2015
Personally, I preferred the third half.
That might just be because I hate L though....
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» how many people have read or watch bl ( 1 2 )

meltrix2017 - Apr 21

68 by Absurdo_N »»
Yesterday, 12:03 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 37 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Boursk - Jun 27, 2007

916 by SnipersKgrooWife »»
Apr 16, 12:52 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

itainteazy - Apr 4, 2007

393 by decco6226 »»
Apr 13, 8:10 PM

» Psychoanalyzing Light Yagami but in gen z slangs

egosumjohn - Mar 31

27 by egosumjohn »»
Apr 10, 6:53 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

xXDaijinkazeXx - Apr 15, 2009

127 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 8, 7:58 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.