Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Nov 26, 2014 8:23 PM
Nov 2014
It's been bothering me a bit that Haruhi's always referred to with "she/her" pronouns, because they specifically say that they don't really care about genders and stuff. It's really awesome to find a canonically non-binary character in a mainstream anime, but it sucks to not see it recognised as a thing. (by the way, androgyne is a term to define someone who either shows both masculine and feminine qualities or doesn't really show or identify with either gender) Sorry I guess it's not that important but like...
Apr 29, 2016 2:01 AM

Sep 2010
She's a girl who doesn't think gender is important due to her father's influence as a bisexual cross-dresser. You might think you're being progressive but you're really just reinforcing gender roles.
Jun 3, 2016 11:42 PM

Sep 2011
Sorry to bump an old topic, but it is also noteworthy that she does, in fact, consider herself female. This is especially apparent if you continue reading the source material. Just because you don't care about gender doesn't mean you don't identify as a gender.

It would be cool if you wouldn't try and be so "politically correct" about a show that aired in 2006. The only people who still actually care about gender roles are a dying generation and the trans people who are not comfortable with themselves.
Jun 3, 2016 11:46 PM
Jan 2013
nanasomo said:
It's really awesome to find a canonically non-binary character
huheuheuheueheuheuheuehuehue
What even
gone bai bai
Jun 18, 2016 1:58 AM

Mar 2016
Well, as Haruhi's the "audience surrogate," I think her lack of much in the way specific gender role (at least initially) makes her (she's a she, when all is said and done) more accessible to the audience, which in turn makes the whole story more accessible to the audience.

Subtly done by the authors, wonderfully executed by the English-dub voice cast.
I am the one you warned me of.
Nov 5, 2017 5:19 PM
Aug 2017
I am very late to this whole thing, but I just watched a few episodes. I do agree with some of the points made. I do agree that there need to be more characters out there who don't define themselves as a single gender if that makes them more comfortable with who they are. Crona from Soul Eater is a good example of this. I do want to point out that although this anime is over ten years old, these problems have existed for longer than that. Haruhi doesn't mind being addressed as either, so I don't think it's as much of a problem here since she is comfortable with anything, but I think we need to start looking at the whole LGBTQ+ issue in society as a whole. Speaking of which, some parts of the episodes that did poke fun at things like that made me cringe a lot.
Dec 30, 2017 9:19 PM

Jul 2016
OHSHC isn't really that progressive in terms of LGBT issues. Sexism? Yes. Haruhi is a progressive female protagonist for a Japanese piece of media. But the show itself is riddled with homophobic and transphobic material like the man hating predatory lesbians and father who's the butt of a few trans jokes despite being a drag queen.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ouran High School Host Club Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

theeggman85 - Nov 15, 2008

62 by starrydrop »»
Apr 13, 8:00 PM

Poll: » Ouran High School Host Club Episode 17 Discussion

shinigami034 - Nov 16, 2008

43 by turbo_sloppy »»
Apr 9, 11:47 PM

Poll: » Ouran High School Host Club Episode 3 Discussion

notestinet - Jun 1, 2008

46 by ExploitedUsagi »»
Apr 7, 4:01 PM

Poll: » Ouran High School Host Club Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kenkei - Sep 9, 2008

66 by crazykralardabab »»
Mar 3, 9:47 AM

Poll: » Ouran High School Host Club Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Sintaku - Mar 17, 2008

109 by exsantiagod »»
Jan 30, 5:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.