Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Is this anime an epic failure?
Nov 25, 2014 8:13 PM

Apr 2014
I picked this up because I thought it would be like Akatsuki no Yona in a sense. I thought that Ange would you know, try and get the kingdom back, regardless if she's Norma or not.

I tune in for 4 more weeks... That hasn't happened.

In the 7 weeks I've watched this, I've seen: Bladder Failure, Erect Nipples, Bath Scenes up the ass, Ass Shots, Censorship, Censorship that should be in Terra Formars, Cunnilingus shots (4 TIMES!!!!), Implied Rape, Attempted Rape, A distraught mother being beaten over her child being taken away, Implied Pedophilia/Incest, An Orgasm(?)(seriously, what was that?) and Yuri Scenes that are SO out of place.

But, for all its problems, the first 3 episodes are actually meaningful, and have a plot. Everything else... Is what I would like to call a broken version of Attack On Titan, but that'd be a HUGE insult to AOT.

Thoughts?
CM said:
Right now, me, right now, in Cleveland, Ohio, take fucking care of me right fucking now. Don't worry about where I'm supposed to be tomorrow. Don't worry about what segment I'm supposed to be. Fucking fix me. My fucking ribs are broken, my knee is fucking torn up, I'm fucking sick. Fucking help me.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 25, 2014 8:50 PM

May 2014
You sure you watched all episodes so far? The last three have definitely advanced the plot, and the details weren't subtle either. As of the last one, Ange has escaped Arzenal, landed near Misurugi and she's in Rambo mode now.

Meh, AOT/SNK is overrated anyways - it's still decent, but hardly the standard that anime should be held to. I disagree with Ange's censorship being as bad as Terra Formars or Tokyo Ghoul (that ONE scene in ep3 with the inverted colors). I don't recall seeing huge black dots or bars everywhere.

As for offensive/sexual content - yeah that's understandable, there's no moderation. But to be honest, other animes/mangas are equally or far more extreme, like Shigurui, Hellsing, or Berserk, and that hasn't made them significantly less enjoyable. I don't think the fanservice in Cross Ange has made it unwatchable, any more than than fanservice in Kill la Kill or Gurren Lagann.

But it's all relative, opinions are opinions.
DeicideVNov 25, 2014 8:55 PM
Typing on an ipad is like driving carpentry nails with a sledgehammer.
Nov 25, 2014 9:09 PM

Apr 2014
Honestly, I stopped last week. But if it does get better, tell me. But if it doesn't, and it cranks up the yuri and the fanservice, they'll deal with me.
CM said:
Right now, me, right now, in Cleveland, Ohio, take fucking care of me right fucking now. Don't worry about where I'm supposed to be tomorrow. Don't worry about what segment I'm supposed to be. Fucking fix me. My fucking ribs are broken, my knee is fucking torn up, I'm fucking sick. Fucking help me.
Nov 25, 2014 10:04 PM

Nov 2012
drop it son
IF YOU LIKE DEATH PARADE, GO WATCH BARTENDER!!!
my animesongs chord thread : here bro
Nov 26, 2014 1:49 AM

Oct 2010
After all my anime watching, I can tell this is gonna be epic.
Nov 26, 2014 7:45 AM
Sep 2011
L3XJam3s said:

In the 7 weeks I've watched this, I've seen: Bladder Failure, Erect Nipples, Bath Scenes up the ass, Ass Shots, Censorship, Censorship that should be in Terra Formars, Cunnilingus shots (4 TIMES!!!!), Implied Rape, Attempted Rape, A distraught mother being beaten over her child being taken away, Implied Pedophilia/Incest, An Orgasm(?)(seriously, what was that?) and Yuri Scenes that are SO out of place.

Let's not forget bullying, and some of the stupidest accidental pervert humor ever.

At this point I don't care if this show ends on the most amazing, thought provoking note an anime has ever ended on. It's done far too many heinous things, and the characters have been some of the most unlikable I've ever seen.

I shouldn't really have been expecting much from an anime about women (and only women) who are treated as objects and forced to wear thongs and pilot mechs.
Nov 26, 2014 11:55 AM

Jan 2008
I don't know what you are talking about, but after meeting Tusk, Ange is VERY likable.
Nov 26, 2014 12:01 PM

Jun 2014
All that stuff you're complaining about is what makes this anime GREAT.

Once upon a time, anime was made by Otakus for Otakus. This gives me that kind of vibe. The fact that it feels like a manifestation of someone's fantasy daydreams makes it pure gold.

If you're looking for a sensible, sanitized, and coherent plot, look elsewhere.
Nov 26, 2014 12:01 PM

Dec 2013
So basicly people like this more than AoT? Lol, ok.

Anyways, this show is a piece of garbage, to the point where it's not even so bad it's fun. It's so bad, that is cringy to watch.

Seriously, this would be the first series that I would rate a 1, but it is reserved for Boku no Pico.

Lol at people who actually think Ange is anything better than 2 or 3.
Nov 26, 2014 12:10 PM

Aug 2014
L3XJam3s said:
I picked this up because I thought it would be like Akatsuki no Yona in a sense. I thought that Ange would you know, try and get the kingdom back, regardless if she's Norma or not.

I tune in for 4 more weeks... That hasn't happened.

Interesting point. Because more has happened in Cross Ange than Akatsuki no Yona thus far. But it's not the same plot anyway.

And yuri out of place? In an all female prison? Same with bullying, but that was stated by another user. It just sounds like you don't like fanservice. Show was pretty upfront with the ecchi since the first episode. Dropping it is a good idea if all you have are unrealistic expectations.
Sieg Zeon!
Nov 26, 2014 1:06 PM

Apr 2014
ninjastarforcex said:
drop it son

Did it ages ago.
CM said:
Nov 26, 2014 1:27 PM
Sep 2011
[quote=ramenshojo]
Once upon a time, anime was made by Otakus for Otakus. This gives me that kind of vibe. The fact that it feels like a manifestation of someone's fantasy daydreams makes it pure gold.[quote]

Cause we all know that Otaku are so respectful toward women. I question the sanity of the person whose fantasy daydream resulted in Ange's "physical" at the end of the first episode.

QuattroVaginas said:

It just sounds like you don't like fanservice. Show was pretty upfront with the ecchi since the first episode. Dropping it is a good idea if all you have are unrealistic expectations.

There's a pretty big difference between fanservice and rape. Honestly when the scene I mentioned above happened I was surprised I wasn't watching a hentai.

"It wasn't rape!"

And the episode 2 happened and it was rape.
Nov 26, 2014 2:37 PM

Aug 2014
I don't understand your reply. There was one attempted rape scene. Necessary? No. But again, not out of place in prison. Moreover, I was talking about the fanservice of the show in general. Didn't even mention rape, much less deny it didn't exist.
Sieg Zeon!
Nov 26, 2014 11:21 PM

May 2014
robis798 said:

Anyways, this show is a piece of garbage, to the point where it's not even so bad it's fun. It's so bad, that is cringy to watch.

Seriously, this would be the first series that I would rate a 1, but it is reserved for Boku no Pico.

Perhaps you should consider that it's simply not for you.

Ratings don't mean much on this site anyways.
Nov 26, 2014 11:43 PM
Apr 2010
L3XJam3s said:
I thought that Ange would you know, try and get the kingdom back, regardless if she's Norma or not.

It's a good thing that the staff have more of an imagination than you. Ange herself has been amazing to watch ever since she accepted what she is, plus with the recent episodes, she's doing a lot more to find out what's actually going on/happened with the Mitsurugi Empire. If you can't handle a bit of pandering, stick with your Akatsuki no Yona and call it a day.
Nov 27, 2014 12:58 AM

May 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_nfKJlcEhA

Dropping this here

Have fun guys
Sword in hand, a warrior clutches stone to breast. In sword etched he his fading memories In stone, his tempered skill By sword attested, by stone revealed. Their tale can now be told
Nov 27, 2014 7:47 AM

Dec 2013
KazuhoYoshii said:
robis798 said:

That's why I dropped it after I got nauseous from that shit.
Nov 27, 2014 7:49 AM

Jun 2009
L3XJam3s said:

That sounds AWESOME, might actually give this a try now. Also yuri scenes are never out of place. Ever.
Nov 27, 2014 8:33 AM

May 2014
robis798 said:
KazuhoYoshii said:

I'm curious as to how Berserk made your manga favorites then. The manga is way more disturbing and explicit than Ange. For every instance of "attempted rape" in Cross Ange, there's at least three or four actual rapes in Berserk, involving main or nameless redshirt victims (who usually meet gory deaths not long after it happens). There's plenty of violence against women, even sexual assaults on children.

Even if you stuck to the Golden Age arc and haven't gotten to the eclipse, you'd still have seen plenty of it.
Nov 27, 2014 8:38 AM

Dec 2013
KazuhoYoshii said:
robis798 said:

I'm curious as to how Berserk made your manga favorites then. The manga is way more disturbing and explicit than Ange. For every instance of "attempted rape" in Cross Ange, there's at least three or four actual rapes in Berserk, involving main or nameless redshirt victims (who usually meet gory deaths not long after it happens). There's plenty of violence against women, even sexual assaults on children.

Even if you stuck to the Golden Age arc and haven't gotten to the eclipse, you'd still have seen plenty of it.

Did you just compare Berserk and Ange? Do I really need to explain, how Berserk does things with these themes and how this show does it? Hint: it's for fanservice.
Nov 27, 2014 8:42 AM

Sep 2010
I have to admit after the first couple shitty episodes this series has become more interesting. The fanservice is still garbage though
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Nov 27, 2014 9:02 AM

May 2014
robis798 said:

Did you just compare Berserk and Ange? Do I really need to explain, how Berserk does things with these themes and how this show does it? Hint: it's for fanservice.

Do you seriously think Berserk doesn't have fanservice either? Or unnecessary sexual violence?

The anime adaptation did fine leaving most of those out, granted they did boondoggle some of the events towards the end.

Spoilers below/trigger warning for the light-hearted.

Nov 27, 2014 9:07 AM

Dec 2013
KazuhoYoshii said:
robis798 said:

Do you seriously think Berserk doesn't have fanservice either? Or unnecessary sexual violence?

The anime adaptation did fine leaving most of those out, granted they did boondoggle some of the events towards the end.

It's just the cruel world they live in. And I don't think any of that stuff was used for fanservice, because the term only came to light past 2000s I think in ful action.

Nudity and rape is not necesseraly fanservice.

I am not sure why am I even discussing this, since Berserk and Ange shouldn't even be in one sentence in any context.
Nov 27, 2014 10:11 AM

May 2014
robis798 said:

It's just the cruel world they live in. And I don't think any of that stuff was used for fanservice, because the term only came to light past 2000s I think in ful action.

I am not sure why am I even discussing this, since Berserk and Ange shouldn't even be in one sentence in any context.

Just because the term "fanservice" didn't come into use until recently, doesn't mind it didn't exist prior to that.

Spoilers/Trigger Warnings for the faint
Nov 27, 2014 10:16 AM

Dec 2013
KazuhoYoshii said:
robis798 said:

Just because the term "fanservice" didn't come into use until recently, doesn't mind it didn't exist prior to that.

Spoilers/Trigger Warnings for the faint

It's still not the same as in Ange. I see no problem showing nudity, even if it's a little bit too much, if it is used in a mature way ( or it is a hentai ). Cross Ange uses fanservice so much that it interferes with the plot itself and makes it cringy to watch, which is nothing but my opinion. I mean people obviously likes this if it is being created.
Nov 30, 2014 5:33 AM

Jul 2008
The ratings should be higher in MAL in my books, the current episode suggest an easy 7 to me if the remaining episodes till the finale stays like this.
Nov 30, 2014 5:52 AM

Mar 2010
I think this show is really good.
Nov 30, 2014 5:58 AM

Nov 2012
I really love this show. It might be extremely stupid, poorly directed and overload of fanservice, but it's probably one of the show I enjoy the most recently

I love Ange and how her character progresses. She starts out as an annoying useless bitch, but now she's likable and pretty badass. Her relationship with others also took a turn for the better.
Nov 30, 2014 6:06 AM

Aug 2012
ramenshojo said:

this
Nov 30, 2014 10:47 PM
Jul 2018
gino_san said:
ramenshojo said:

this

I seconded the remark. Bet most of the "whiners and complainers" are simply dishearten rabid fan-gals who wanted another lame sexually-ambiguous androgynous Bishonen for meaningless fanfiction or those kind of colonydrop.com old farts who are still wanking over the 80-90s like senile fossilized relics or maybe even those kind of psuedo-femnazi westernized prima donnas who only want another badly animated abomination of the Aku no Hana series (Manga was kickass fyi) being violated. Even more hilarious is that the director is the same dude who train-wrecked the gundam seed series, so i'm all for this stuff with the thumbs up. If the Nippon Jins of Dai Nippon love this kind of fest then it's mission accomplished.
removed-userNov 30, 2014 11:06 PM
Dec 1, 2014 4:58 AM

Oct 2013
L3XJam3s said:
In the 7 weeks I've watched this, I've seen: Bladder Failure, Erect Nipples, Bath Scenes up the ass, Ass Shots, Censorship, Censorship that should be in Terra Formars, Cunnilingus shots (4 TIMES!!!!), Implied Rape, Attempted Rape, A distraught mother being beaten over her child being taken away, Implied Pedophilia/Incest, An Orgasm(?)

There's been constant character development through all that,with the plot moving at a steady pace and as others already said,none of it is out of place.

Also,while I don't yet want to compare these two shows as a whole yet,Ange's already a better written character than any of the cast in AoT and in time,that might also apply to Salia & Hilda.

L3XJam3s said:
Honestly, I stopped last week. But if it does get better, tell me. But if it doesn't, and it cranks up the yuri and the fanservice, they'll deal with me.

Cross Ange is an unapologetic show and I don't think it'll redeem itself in the eyes of viewers who've disliked it so far,at least not enough for them to really enjoy it,IMO.

L3XJam3s said:

While that's still a possibility,I'm REALLY curious how would you go about her doing that given her situation. Yona's situation is problematic and her ambition is definitely praiseworthy(great show btw,loving it more & more each week) but she still had Hak supporting her and a place she could be safe such as the Wind Tribe. Ange had NONE of that.

Anyway,long story short OP. It's just not an anime for you but there's nothing wrong with that as long as your hatred towards it remains subjective.
Jan 9, 2015 1:29 AM

Jul 2013
robis798 said:
KazuhoYoshii said:

There is something seriously wrong with you and you need to seek medical help if you thing that rape was okay in Berserk but not here, also your hypocritical. Never at any point should you be okay with the way rape is portrayed never ever. you should feel disgust, hate, revenge, and vile towards the rapist who did that to a character and then you should feel good when the rapist gets whats coming to him which - if the author is doing their job - should the most painful and excruciating end to his miserable pathetic life. Rape is never fanservice and if you think it is, see the first line i wrote.
Jan 9, 2015 8:16 AM
Dec 2014
I'd argue that the following episodes just get even better. Episode 9 is so far my favorite, full of goddamned emotion.
Jan 10, 2015 4:41 PM
Dec 2014
For all the people out there that say that Ange getting raped in episode one wasn't for fanservice reason, I will like to point out the image of the rapist captain's harem that accompanied it and that annoying voice preview. How do you explain that?

It also seemed like it was thrown in at random. Watch the second episode. If it wasn't for Ange's struggling damaging Jill's artificial arm, it was like it never happened. No additional hatred against Normas, no days healing from the internal bleeding, no mention of implants used to pilot the mechas, no PTSD, nothing.
FloydBtJan 10, 2015 4:53 PM
Jan 14, 2015 11:23 AM

Aug 2013
My God how do you guys still think than that was a rape, wasn't, that was like to search for illegal drugs before going to prison, i am really surprised how people can see "fanservice" on that scene U.u

Also she is NOT BLEEDING, that was her mother blood on her clothes...
Jan 14, 2015 12:33 PM

Feb 2014
Well they've discussed plans for a rebellion so, in a way, they are sort of trying to get the kingdom back.

I actually like this show. Yes, it definitely has flaws, but it's still enjoyable imo.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 14, 2015 5:54 PM

Sep 2008
Best show or BESTEST show?, that's the question.
Jan 14, 2015 8:51 PM

Sep 2013
Cross Ange >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Berserk
Lol only berserk gets a free ride on the rape train XD what hypocrites

Kyruga said:
My God how do you guys still think than that was a rape, wasn't, that was like to search for illegal drugs before going to prison, i am really surprised how people can see "fanservice" on that scene U.u

Truth
Jan 14, 2015 9:02 PM

May 2014
ichii_1 said:
Cross Ange >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Berserk

Kyruga said:

Truth

Eh, I don't know. Berserk is hard to beat for the Golden Age story arc, as good as Cross Ange is.

However, as a manga reader, I will say the first few chapters were nothing more than mindless violence without backstory. The plot has taken a nosedive after the Tower of Conviction arc, and frankly they need to start killing some of Guts' party members to get the story back in shape. /offtopic
Jan 14, 2015 10:11 PM

Jan 2013
robis798 said:

This man speaks the truth
Jan 15, 2015 5:59 AM

Jun 2008
Sunrise says hello kid. Welcome to fun.
Jan 15, 2015 6:14 AM

Oct 2008
Its the same circle jerk group that gave Inferno Cop numerous 10/10 and are giving away the same rating to this title ,people that cant or wont distinguish between "so bad its good" from "so bad its actually terribly bad"
Jan 15, 2015 10:41 AM
Dec 2014
amateur said:
Its the same circle jerk group that gave Inferno Cop numerous 10/10 and are giving away the same rating to this title ,people that cant or wont distinguish between "so bad its good" from "so bad its actually terribly bad"

Wait, people actually took Inferno Cop seriously? I'll admit, the humor can be pretty hit and miss, though.
Jan 15, 2015 11:52 AM

Sep 2013
amateur said:

Kaiji is trash thou, trash art, animation, lame music and a pussy MC lol, shit taste confirmed, opinion disregarded.
Jan 15, 2015 6:42 PM
Dec 2014
ichii_1 said:

Kaiji is trash thou, trash art, animation, lame music and a pussy MC lol, shit taste confirmed, opinion disregarded.

>dissing on Kaiji
Filthy Mana, pls.
Jan 16, 2015 12:41 AM

Oct 2008
ichii_1 said:
amateur said:

Oh nice basing your arguments and bashing someone purely on the persons avatar and signature,Cross Ange is clearly up your alley then....
Thanks for the chuckle and validating my post though.
amateurJan 16, 2015 12:45 AM
Jan 16, 2015 7:10 PM

Feb 2014
ichii_1 said:

Kyruga said:

Truth

So much truth!

People are so buthurted by the "rape" scene in the first episode which wasn't even a rape. I have to admit that the show started pretty bad but I don't give a shit because the story became great and complex after the weak episodes. Character development is also great in this series.
CiarsonJan 17, 2015 6:00 AM
Jan 17, 2015 8:58 AM

May 2009
Best comedy of the season.
Jan 18, 2015 7:19 AM

Mar 2013
I love how the poll results look like.
Jan 18, 2015 7:35 AM

May 2013
This gets more retarded by the episode. Loving it.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Cross Ange: Tenshi to Ryuu no Rondo Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2015

331 by jiashun02 »»
Oct 22, 2023 3:16 AM

Poll: » Cross Ange: Tenshi to Ryuu no Rondo Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 18, 2014

194 by Babieca009 »»
Aug 17, 2023 5:51 PM

Poll: » Cross Ange: Tenshi to Ryuu no Rondo Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 6, 2014

131 by FireRifle64 »»
Aug 8, 2023 1:03 AM

Poll: » Cross Ange: Tenshi to Ryuu no Rondo Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2015

285 by Nikoslovescoffee »»
Jul 17, 2023 4:24 AM

Poll: » Cross Ange: Tenshi to Ryuu no Rondo Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2015

151 by Nikoslovescoffee »»
Jul 17, 2023 3:38 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.