Forum Settings
Forums
Nov 25, 2014 3:23 PM

Hope this doesn't go against the rules. Looks like I'm late to the party, this is the first time I've heard of this. Is any of it true? Also what's your opinion on these two sites? I don't use any of them personally.

Many know of a certain online manga reader named mangafox.com, which is owned by a certain New York-based company named NOEZ. It's the most popular manga reader currently, and it is estimated to rake in about 3,200 USD in ad revenue every single DAY. http://www.cubestat.com/www.mangafox.com This is a fine business model, because what they sell is FREE labor of countless scanlation groups which they use without asking for permission. Their site is run by numerous volunteer uploaders, administrators, moderators who also all work for FREE in the name of the community. Really, the only thing NOEZ has to pay for is hosting, which is only a fraction of the revenue. Nice profit margin, isn't it? But I guess Jacky Yung does need to maintain a certain lifestyle.

But overall, Mangafox is a nice site that says they respect scanlator's wishes. If a scanlator group wishes for their content to be removed from mangafox.com, they comply. Well, except when the manga is popular enough to make a significant dent in the $3200 daily revenue, in that case, too bad, you greedy scanlator. Or scanlators can request that their releases are posted on Mangafox with a delay. And Mangafox will comply... well, again, except if the manga is popular enough to have impact on the Mangafox revenue. But otherwise, it's a fine honest scanlator-friendly site.

But then, there's a bad apple among online manga readers named mangahere.com. Definitely nothing like the upstanding Mangafox. They don't respect the scanlators at all. They host any manga they feel like. They don't honor any delay periods. They take beautiful images that people have put so much work into and haphazardly slap their own watermarks on them, as if they're the ones who produced them. They take out scanlator credit pages to hide the fact that someone else worked on the manga. Then, to rub it in, they claim on their Facebook pages that they're the ones who translate the manga, rather than the scanlators they steal from. Clearly, they're a terrible site that's completely different from Mangafox, which respects scanlators (sometimes).

That's what I thought, but there were some misgivings. For example, why do ads for Mangahere appear on Mangafox, if they're supposed to be competitors? Why did these two unrelated sites share the same Google Analytics account for a while? In order to dispel these slanderous rumors, I decided to check the domain registration information. As expected, mangafox.com is registered to Noez Work, 1133 Broadway Suite 706 New York, New York 10010, and the admin is Yung, Jacky http://websites.faqs.org/mangafox.com/ But what about the dastardly mangahere.com? It's registered to Noez Work, 1133 Broadway Suite 706 New York, New York 10010 United States, and the technical contact is... Yung, Jacky jacky@noez.com http://who.godaddy.com/whois.aspx?k=ljjmszl87p1CIIgNVaEyCQ==& domain=mangahere.com&prog_id=GoDaddy Wait, what's going on here? Does this mean that NOEZ only pretends to respect scanlators on Mangafox, and then turns around and rips them off blind on Mangahere to make up for lost revenue on Mangafox? Who can we trust anymore? My world is upside down...

Source

Nov 25, 2014 8:10 PM

WOW never knew there are such conspiracies around mangahere floating around. And also that mangafox and mangahere are from the same people.

I usually do read most manga from mangafox before I try to purchase any of the licensed titles. And ofcourse I used to read from this website before I could actually gain access to buy manga.

Well we the viewers, the scanlators as well as these mangafox and mangahere people are all pirates. Just that we can categorise them as the lesser pirates and the bigger pirates XD. I agree that since the scanlators have put in so much effort in bringing the chapters for free, if they say don't upload till x days after we release I guess they could atleast respect that wish. but then again I personally also don't see the point in why the scanlators always wish for a delayed upload to the online reading websites? I mean since its all illegal anyway why have a code of conduct?

Nov 25, 2014 8:24 PM

I didn't know mangafox was respectable 'sometimes'. I thought it was all the time lmao. I've heard before how those two sites were owned by the same person/people, but I thought mangafox also pasted on their own watermarks on stuff? At least I seem to remember they did. I think I've heard that the same people own a lot of other popular manga sites too.

I try to avoid using both sites because they suck anyways (poor quality scans), but I still use other sites like mangago (which I've heard is pretty bad too). It's not that I can't sympathize with scanlators because I've done a bit of scanlating/editing manga myself in the past. I know that the "don't use mangafox/mangahere/etc!!" message is getting around though, which is good. The thing is even if these sites constantly rip off of other people's work, it can't really be stopped, unfortunately. People will still use them because it's convenient. But hey, I guess there's Batoto for a reason.

asckj1 said:
but then again I personally also don't see the point in why the scanlators always wish for a delayed upload to the online reading websites? I mean since its all illegal anyway why have a code of conduct?
It's to encourage people to read manga from the scanlation group's site instead of sites like mangafox. This does work though, since if readers are big enough fans of a series, they'll go to the group's site for faster updates.

Nov 25, 2014 8:24 PM

I use mangahere. I find it a friendlier environment than mangafox.

This is the first time I've read anything bad about mangahere. I've never seen (or noticed) them slap their watermark on scanlations; and they always credit the scanlators.

I'd like to hear from the perspective of an actual scanlator, to see if they feel any disrespect coming from websites that upload their work.

I really know nothing about the entire process, so if mangahere is as notorious as it sounds here, than I take back everything I've said. However, I've grown to like mangahere a lot, and I'm not going to believe this until I hear from an actual scanlator.

Nov 25, 2014 8:32 PM

Manga fox gave me two Trojans. Like, I got one, cleaned my computer, mistakenly thought that I couldn't have gotten the virus from manga fox, went back on manga fox, and then instantly got another one.

So fuck them, mangahere is better.

As for the quoted bit, iirc manga fox put their watermarks on manga they didn't translate as well. If they've stopped doing that, good for them, I guess. And if the same person is running both sites...lol.

Nov 25, 2014 8:34 PM
this problem with Manga Aggregator sites are nothing new, they profit from volunteer work of scanlators without even saying thanks to them

the only good Manga Aggregator site out there is Batoto since they give money/donation back to the scanlators for them to continue scanlating manga

and the revelation of MangaFox and MangaHere owned by the same company and person is not shocking to me, i wonder why that Jacky Yung is not being sued though

Nov 25, 2014 8:39 PM

I switch from Mangafox to batoto from time to time.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Nov 25, 2014 8:41 PM

lol streaming manga

Nov 25, 2014 9:24 PM

j0x said:
Batoto since they give money/donation back to the scanlators for them to continue scanlating manga
Well that I didn't know. Color me surprised. In a good way ofc

Nov 25, 2014 9:47 PM

am i the only one who can never use mangafox for some reason because it's licensed or whatever? i try to use batoto whenever i can but if not mangahere is always there for me

Nov 26, 2014 8:52 AM
hahaha you came to know about this only today ?
heck every online manga site has 2 or 3 sister manga sites there even chinese manga sites follow the same model
similarly they launch anime sites and the link you used to show the worth and amount it earns per day is just an fake estimate . just google and tons of sites exist to measure the worth of a site and each and everyone come with a different data and earning.

don't think batoto not earn profit . batoto not pay server fees from its own pockets . it's just that they share revenue with scanlation groups
2nd batoto earlier used few groups scanlation without permission and then didn't removed it even after they requested [now situation is better]

all sites online follow the same model
latest manga raws/spoilers/covers/colour pictures updates at https://www.facebook.com/Manga.Utopia

Nov 26, 2014 9:42 AM

lagcrazy said:
am i the only one who can never use mangafox for some reason because it's licensed or whatever? i try to use batoto whenever i can but if not mangahere is always there for me
No, me too. Every single manga I search for there always turns out to be licensed and I got pissed and stopped going there. I use mangago now.

rajin90 said:
hahaha you came to know about this only today ?
Yes ;_;

Nov 26, 2014 10:46 AM
I love mangahere more, I respect that website even thought it's illegal. But now fuck all the illegal websites. I stop using them and start using Kissmanga. Reading there is better plus the moderators are kind and they don't ignore people when we need help. I remember I asked something to mangafox on May 2014 and they replied to me on Oct 2014! So, now everyone know the truth.

Nov 26, 2014 10:47 AM

Mangainn FTW?

Nov 26, 2014 10:50 AM

Old_Raven said:
Mangainn FTW?

never heard of that.I have to check it now

Nov 26, 2014 10:56 AM
AllenVonStein said:
Old_Raven said:
Mangainn FTW?

never heard of that.I have to check it now

Even me, I will check it right now.

Nov 26, 2014 1:49 PM

"Read absolutely free and daily updated hundreds of high-quality manga online!"

Hope this is actually legit.

Nov 26, 2014 11:02 PM
the problem is almost everything ends up illegal on internet . you watch youtube videos and few days later those videos are taken down. [AMV]
u use s/w which aren't free . heck i have seen fanfictions/predictions objected over by publishers . this is the model we the internetgoers have created .
everyone want free things or at Cheap prices[this is why chinese products sell]

how many of the people here bought CRUNCHYROLL premium services to read manga ? I did . if they add more series then i will buy their services again

they should rather than depending on few customers should provide better medium and concentrate on Volumes[sales]
it feels bad to pay 20$ for service by 1 user when it is possible to divide these 20$ among 3 users . 6$/ user .
if price is reasonable and sufficient content is available most people will go to the official legit legal source

mangainn is sister site of some other site i think
latest manga raws/spoilers/covers/colour pictures updates at https://www.facebook.com/Manga.Utopia

Nov 27, 2014 7:39 AM
Forum Moderator
DatLookTho

MangaFox respecting scanlators wishes is the biggest bs I've read. I use the site and I use its forums. A scanlation group called A-Team starting putting insane watermarks on their scans for some time because MF wouldn't follow the simple request of "Please only upload this 48 hours after release". I know people claim all around that MF is using bots to snatch scanlations the moment they're uploaded, and quite frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.

Nov 27, 2014 9:29 AM

Mangahere is much better. Less buggy, faster, etc.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Nov 27, 2014 9:33 AM

OP, you are a slow one, aren't you?

I think I got the idea that mangahere is another site made by mangafox's creator about exactly 4 years ago, when mangafox was taking manga out because of licensing issues. This wasn't exactly a big revelation.

I actually found out about mangahere through mangafox's ads. From their similar layouts and policies, I always assumed that mangahere is just a way for mangafox to host licensed series and hardcore ecchi manga. Guess I am right.

Moreover, you do realize that most of the manga-reading sites are illegal, right? I am not too sure about fan-translated manga that has not been licensed in English, but for hundreds of manga that are licensed in English, hosting them online is illegal. Most sites do host licensed manga, and usually they didn't pay for them.

To be honest, the only non-licensing site that I detect a policy that adheres to all legal rules is baka-tsuki, as they will take down any translations if the LN is licensed in English.

And, as previous posters mentioned:
1. since when is mangafox scantlator friendly?

Also, think about where we would be without "illegal" sites like mangahere.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱

Nov 27, 2014 5:47 PM

I started reading manga 2 yrs ago, so yes I'm behind the times.
bunny1ov3r said:
Moreover, you do realize that most of the manga-reading sites are illegal, right? I am not too sure about fan-translated manga that has not been licensed in English, but for hundreds of manga that are licensed in English, hosting them online is illegal. Most sites do host licensed manga, and usually they didn't pay for them.

Also, think about where we would be without "illegal" sites like mangahere.

Oh yes I realize this :> I just wanted people to confirm if that post was true since I do not use those two sites. I only use mangago. And I despise mangafox from a personal experience, I shared some news with them on their fb page and they never responded to me or credited the news even though they shared it. So I never had any interest in visiting their site, but when I come across a manga on google search I check their site to see if it's licensed and it always is. So I just gave up on that.
Modified by Roth, Nov 27, 2014 5:51 PM

Nov 27, 2014 5:53 PM

I only use Mangafox for forums. I do frequent MangaHere though since it loads way faster than Batoto for me.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"

Nov 27, 2014 7:41 PM
➝➝

i prefer batoto anyways. if batoto doesn't have it then i go with mangahere. i stay the hell away from mangafox. i dealt with the same problem cupquake did.