Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 23, 2014 2:43 PM

Jul 2012
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
wtf nobody made a chapter discussion for the entire series. i'm disappointed, MAL.

--

Wow, what the heck? This series is really underrated. I mean I gave it an 8/10 but in MAL standards, it should be like a mid 8 at least.

This was a great shoujo series that even had a sports theme to it. I really liked that it didn't follow the normal shoujo cliche where the main girl and the quiet/cold boy get together. She actually ended up with the other guy. I liked the growth of the main character. This series really reminded me of one of my favourite anime/manga "Chihayafuru" because the art, characters (love triangle too) and plot were extremely similar. I think it was even better than Chihayafuru if we're talking about the main female lead. Nobara is much more strong willed and less oblivious than Chihaya. She also had much better development overall.

Another aspect I liked was that it wasn't purely romance and love triangles but about reaching their goals and being the best they could be. I liked that Yuushin and Nobara both loved volleyball and valued it more than their own relationship enough to have patience to date later. I also liked that the supporting characters (Noda frog, Suzushiro, Tomoyo, Ryou...everyone) were quite well developed and interesting.

And...On to things I didn't love as much!

I found the backstories of the female rivals really lackluster and boring. This series is already really lengthy so adding backstories for those rivals (that I can't even remember what their names were) made it even lengthier and slowed the pacing down.

Although I liked how Yuushin and Nobara were handled, I still thought there was too much love drama between them.

The sports aspect wasn't the best (mostly because I'm comparing it to the best sports anime/manga out there) but it was good enough. I just felt like they overdid a few things. One thing that bothered me was how predictable most matches were. In another Volleyball series (Haikyuu!!), it was less predictable and more exhilarating to watch. In this one, they made it obvious who would win and lose.
Mar 29, 2015 1:12 PM

Aug 2010
I like this series quite a lot, probably because of the main character. I thought that it was a pity that besides Nobara, Osaka, Yuushin and Haibuki, the other characters weren't as developed (if any, because I barely remember their names, oh maybe except that tall girl).

I like how dedicated they are to volleyball to, though yes, the volleyball aspect isn't as emphasised as other sports series, but I guess because this is more focused on the emotional development of the characters (the 4 aforementioned characters). Though I quite like the part of Nobara with Ryou, yes, that sort of volleyball development.

And is it just me who thought the Yuushin accident was unnecessary? I dislike how cliched it is, and why must that be inserted into this series. And to think he came out of it, unaffected (I mean that he can still play volleyball)? I actually thought it would be tragic, like Yuushin is crippled, or that he can no longer play volleyball, but in the end it's like as if nothing happened. So I get the feeling that the author used this plot to 'deepen' the emotional bond between Nobara and Yuushin, but I just thought that it's such a cliched and rushed way...it's a pity.

Though I personally can't put it at a higher score than 8 because of all this (actually I wanted to put a 7.5 but MAL wont let me), there is just something that I like from this series~

Oh and I like the "3 years later" chapter, though I wish it was longer... I like the Ryou side chapter as well, good to see that he ended up in the all-japan team and with Yuushin!
Dec 4, 2015 5:08 AM
Apr 2014
mayukachan said:

wtf nobody made a chapter discussion for the entire series. i'm disappointed, MAL.

better this than those made by this starksomething guy
That's how I see like more than half of the MAL users with their "waifus", hentais, harems, weird-ass video games and all that shit
Sep 3, 2019 11:09 PM

Jun 2015
I really liked the sports aspect of this manga. The drama seemed pretty forced and out of nowhere at times though. A fun read nonetheless.
:)
Feb 22, 2020 2:07 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Since I've read this a total of 5 times now (last re-read was in 2015), I'm very biased XD I love this manga so much no matter how many times I re-read it! I love Yuushin and Nobara so much. And even Haibuki, despite him being so immature in the beginning, but he got the most character growth in the end, to supporting and being great friends with Yuushin, as well as learning to face his own illusion of Nobara being a strong and unbreakable hero. I'm really proud of Haibuki's character growth. He saw Nobara's weakness, but never pretended not to. In the end, he realized what Yuushin and Tomoyo said, that Nobara is just a regular girl who needs support even when she doesn't seem like she needs it. He apologized to Nobara for that, but I think his words saved her at the end, when he told her that even if she wasn't really a hero, her existence made him strong. I'm just so happy for everyone that they're all great friends in the end. It was worth it to see Yuushin and Haibuki get along so well, and Haibuki taking in the leadership role to inspire the team.

Could still do without the common shoujo romance tropes of truck accident or some of the drama, but all in all, Takanashi-sensei was very good at conveying the feelings of high school students (the occasional reminder that they are only 15), as well as their passion for volleyball and the importance of teamwork. Takanashi-sensei said that she wanted to portray people who were trying to become better, and she was successful in getting her message across. Seeing these kids try so hard in not only volleyball, but their relationships...making mistakes by lashing out or saying the wrong things, but always trying to remedy the situations, it's honestly quite inspiring. There are some lessons and quotes which I've always kept to heart since the first time I read this, and it makes me smile to see it again.

Oh, but upon this latest read through, I understand a bit more now why Takanashi-sensei wanted Yuushin to get hurt, as cliche as it may be. She really wanted to show that Nobara is just like any other person who can break down, and of course, for Haibuki's growth and closure regarding his feelings towards Nobara.

I also want to mention the rest of the cast, I love all of them. Tsuchiya and Ichiba have distinct personalities, and I like how much they also appreciated Nobara's presence in the dorms. While they didn't have any backstories or displayed character growth, I enjoyed seeing them whenever they had some panel time :) The girl's team had more development, and their character interactions were great, from the fights to the support they give to each other. Kanako wasn't my favorite, but she brought interesting dynamic to the team and I liked her character growth. I like Gotou's brief focus, Rena's determination to be of help to the team, Mochida's personality and the way she supports others, and Tomoyo's insight and her relationship with Haibuki. Oh, and how can I forget Suzushiro? Shout out to the Eagle's team as well! Ryou is an inspiration.

I agree with Mayuka that it's commendable that Nobara and Yuushin valued volleyball over their relationship to keep their relationship on hold. Yuushin was so cute and just fun to watch after they confessed to each other. When he stood up for the both of them, to when he was encouraged by Haibuki to not lose hope with Nobara. I liked seeing his excitement at little things such as noticing that Nobara attached the omamori he gave her to her schoolbag.

I disagree though that the opposing team's stories were boring. I really enjoyed those. Starting from Aigaku, with the cutthroat environment that led to the breakup of friendship. Yabe was interesting as well, with how the team revolved around Shouji, but she could've trusted in her team. Hayashida became a likable character in that game. Well okay, there was that one about the captain who was always overshadowed by her sister, that one I do remember never being interesting to me.

Anyways, reading this again reminds me of the time when I said I wanted to try out for volleyball when I get to high school, but never did. I still regret not trying out, I think I really missed out on that team-building and passionate type of experience in high school. Crimson Hero has rekindled my appreciation for the good shoujo romance manga out there (well "good" is subjective). I almost want to re-read it again...like immediately. Takanashi-sensei's art is so beautiful~ I think her art peaked at the end of Akuma de Sourou to until volume 8 or 9 of Crimson Hero. I kind of wish she stayed with that style ><

More topics from this board

» Anime adaptation

Ayako_Rose - Apr 25, 2022

0 by Ayako_Rose »»
Apr 25, 2022 10:15 AM

Poll: » Beniiro Hero Chapter 82 Discussion

AsianKungFu - Oct 14, 2016

1 by 50thHokage »»
Oct 14, 2016 10:29 PM

Poll: » Beniiro Hero Chapter 31 Discussion

Sorvarin - May 5, 2016

0 by Sorvarin »»
May 5, 2016 10:18 AM

Poll: » Beniiro Hero Chapter 27 Discussion

Sorvarin - May 5, 2016

0 by Sorvarin »»
May 5, 2016 6:26 AM

Poll: » Yushin or Keisuke

Shikikatotoka - Nov 20, 2009

6 by blue-y »»
Mar 29, 2015 1:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.