Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Nov 17, 2014 3:46 AM
Oct 2013
Don´t get me wrong here I don´t wanna start a hatewar or anything it´s just an opinion I want to point out, which is something I realized after rewatching the marineford arc.

Whitebeard barely did anything there, considering his mentioned power, most of it was just people calling out on him. how strong and badass he is.

He was titled "strongest" in the world, yet Luffy had to use his Haki to stop Aces execution. Jozu fought vs Aokiji and blocked Mihawks attack.
Marco was the one attacking Kizaru. He always talks about how he wants to go all out, tries to intimidate Luffy but continues yelling orders. Besides sending some marines flying he didn´t beat anyone significant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1Kljm4EZpk

Probably the most badass scene in OP but it´s still just 2 minutes.

People may claim now that he oneshotted a giant, Fuck even giants can be fodder in OP, Luffy could injure Woogey in the Alabasta arc. After the timeskip Luffy oneshots a giant in Dressrosa.

People claim, he was old, he was injured, yet this makes his character even more pathetic. I mean the being old aspect doesnt count, he still could take hits like a boss and I didn´t see him sitting in a fucking wheelchair, so he could move. As for the injury "he let himself getting injured". If he didn´t do that and his "potential" was higher he should have been able to fucking save his beloved son and "kill" Akainu in a 1vs1 scenario, I mean Jozu was beaten and Marco was taken out by seastone. Oda could have let the Admirals team up against him that would have ben the perfect solution imo.

And to be honest I think Oda tolled the poor guy, he fucking deserved that kill on Akainu more than anyone else.
Yes I know Akainu had to stay alive for story development, but he got his son killed! Anyway this is a personal matter i just think considering he survived THIS:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC8Re4yYClo Oda pulled another Pell on us.

On top of that whitebeard had only three maybe 4 badass momments if you consider the Blackbeard fight.

First one was his appearence the second him sending the marines flying and the third his fight vs Akainu

What i wanna say here was the pacing wasn´t good and Oda should have sacrificed some of Luffys spotlight to Whitebeard.

His speech was good, yet it kinda made his death insignificant for me, because yes whitebeard had some sort of development, but actually I felt more pity for Oz, fuck the guy actually put up a fight where whitebeard was still yelling orders.

IsterioNov 17, 2014 3:49 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 17, 2014 3:30 PM

Mar 2012
I think Oda didn't know what to do with the character so he jus off'd him.

Think about it, the "war" was hardly a war. Main players conveniently disappearing during certain moments, and everyone just spectating as random people individually show off their powers.

There was hardly enough written for anyone, not just WB.
End Zionazism
Nov 17, 2014 4:12 PM
Oct 2013
That´s my point, but we can´t really expect to give all those fodder bigshots a storyline, they are his underlings that´s it, it was even more annoying with the Dressrosa arc where we got all that fodder introduced and what their individual abilitys are because they got oneshottted one after another.

Well anyway the only big thing Aces death, Odas first time showing people actually die on screen.

As for whitebeard, he din´t impress me I mean if I get told that he´s a big deal well I guess he is but we got that not shown. It´s the same with destiny, game got hyped now it´s considered garbage because it could not live up to expectations still people out there call it the best game ever because they were told so.

And that speech was kinda touching for many people yet it´s a ripoff of Gol. D Rogers speech. Well whitebeard Sengoku was right no2 for live.
Nov 17, 2014 5:58 PM

Jan 2014
You seem to forget that Whitebeard took down Aokiji right from the start after forming a tsunami, performed the widest ranged attack, Beat Akainu and also kept Kizaru occupied while Luffy was going for the scaffold. He also took the brunt of all the marines' attacks to make way for Luffy and the others to go for the scaffold.

He's the only one that did any sort of lasting damage against an admiral, and that by itself is impressive enough. Don't forget that his crew is an essential part of the hype behind his title.

Remember, One Piece isn't the kind of story where 1 person can just go around stomping everyone else. The balance of power is always stressed, and in that case it would be wrong to expect any one person to dominate a field where all the best players are present.
If you were expecting Whitebeard to just take on all of the marines' best single-handedly, I'd say the problem was with your expectation.

Also, there were lots of people who died on screen before Ace.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Nov 17, 2014 8:03 PM

Jul 2013
^^This^^

Whitebeard was a boss, and he wasn't even in his prime.
Nov 17, 2014 9:51 PM
Oct 2013
RedRoseFring said:
You seem to forget that Whitebeard took down Aokiji right from the start after forming a tsunami, performed the widest ranged attack, Beat Akainu and also kept Kizaru occupied while Luffy was going for the scaffold. He also took the brunt of all the marines' attacks to make way for Luffy and the others to go for the scaffold.

He's the only one that did any sort of lasting damage against an admiral, and that by itself is impressive enough. Don't forget that his crew is an essential part of the hype behind his title.

Remember, One Piece isn't the kind of story where 1 person can just go around stomping everyone else. The balance of power is always stressed, and in that case it would be wrong to expect any one person to dominate a field where all the best players are present.
If you were expecting Whitebeard to just take on all of the marines' best single-handedly, I'd say the problem was with your expectation.

Go watch it again, go watch the fucking Marine Ford Arc again I thought the same after my bias through the hype, wow this guy is awesome.

But in it´s core, there are things that have been said about him.

And things he actually achieved on scree Imo the Akainu part was pure bullshit before he showed up from the earth I was sure he was dead. He was fucking dead obliterated to smitherins, that was my first impression.

Like mentioned above, Pell surviving a nuke, bullshit and even hardcore fans agree on this. And Oda obviiously pulled a Pell there, in essense does Oda wanna imply that Akainu is more durable then the earth itself? (I know it wasn´t implied that he can oneshot the earth, but his ability has the "potential" yet Akainu takes a clean him from what we were shown at whitebeards appereance, he appears and does his whole badass move, yet the same move isn´t "able " to kill Akainu a Logia user but still a human being, when before the same fucking move created an enourmous Tsunami and shit.

Second He, fucking doesn´t have to use his crew to destroy the world.

When someone says "HE" , or this man is able o destroy the world it´s singular not plural.
Marco isn´t able to create Tsunamis, Yozu is able to takea giant Iceberg and throw it, but the earthquake creatign the fucking Tsunami which has potential to destroy the world if used in multiple succesion" IS FUCKING WHITEBEARDS STRENGTH".

Like I mentioned above, let the Admirals team up against him let Kizaru make them avoid the other 2 with his light abilitys the strongest attacks. Yes that shit´s believeable. Make Akainu really trick him by implying to be hit but then hiting him from behind. Like i said after all this hype, yes he was a great character but his execution was more than badly done.

And ofc a guy who can "destroy" the FUCKING WORLD should be able to stomp everyone else, by himself, it can be executed belieable. But the series would end here partially and it would be Whitebeard cleansed the world from the evil world government only enemie left blackbeard? Oh no he can beat him too since he was on the spot.

And yes it was done before, Goku can pull that shit people are in his way when he fights his enemies are nearly as strong as him but yet both guys are stronger than any other individual combined.

AND fucking this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1viUExmqj4w

This would have been a proper introduction to whitebeard, him actually "doing" stuff, besides yelling orders. On top of that he doesn´t stop here. It´s his introduction he continues pulling one trick after another the next one being more OP than the last. And no Madara has not a single asspull within his arsenal of weapons, yes some things seemed random , but it was all explained in a believable way. If you combibe his DNA with his cousins he simply becomes the closest thing go a god.

We get a trascdending curve of power from the guy that´s "supposted" to be Op.

Than he actually gains a power up and becomes the closest thing to god within his own universe. This part was arguably unnecessary, since he was massively Op beforehand.

Anyway you can argue which series has better writting. Naruto has talk no jutsu and infinite Chakra no jutsu and one Piece has pells, Ussops, Vipers and Whibeards.
I don´t wanna compare them just saying.

In terms of written characters Madara>whitebeard Period.
Fucking Goku>whitebeard.
And even Vegeta. Fuck I´d say even Kruilin.
IsterioNov 17, 2014 10:05 PM
Nov 17, 2014 10:00 PM

Jun 2014

Ok, so Whitebeard gets backstabbed, beaten up and teamed up on, smack a few navy admirals, and then dies still standing.

I thought Akainu would one-shot Whitebeard and then Ace and almost get Luffy, so I was close but not perfect.

I think the execution was good enough, because Whitebeard just wasn't the main character and he was old. (REALLY OLD)
A great protagonist once said, "It's only overpowered if you can't return the favor!"

Nov 17, 2014 10:17 PM
Oct 2013
[quote=7starkiller99][spoiler]
[quote=Isterio]
RedRoseFring said:
I think the execution was good enough, because Whitebeard just wasn't the main character and he was old. (REALLY OLD)

More than wrong, if you read the volumes they always include Q and As.

I don´t remember which volume it was but Oda himself stated people in the OP verse have an average lifespan of 120 years. The fan asked how is it impressive than that Dr Kureha is 120 years old. His reply was that no 120 year old woman would behave like she does, in essence she´s way too fit, considering she´s an equivalent of a 75-80 year old woman in our world.

Whitebeard would therefore be the equivalent of a 45-50 year old man in our world. SO NO he wasn´t (REALLY OLD.

http://m.memegen.com/bozib3.jpg
IsterioNov 17, 2014 10:20 PM
Nov 17, 2014 10:18 PM

Mar 2013
Cut the old man some slack.
Nov 17, 2014 10:23 PM
Oct 2013
html said:
Cut the old man some slack.

I can´t because i feel Oda pulled a Pell on me there. OP is a great series but that arc was flawed all the way.
It wasn´t boring as Skypea but in terms of execution as bad in terms of quality.

Fuck even this guy tries to explain how he wasn´t the strongest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_iwgtDJgSY

Yet Sengoku sits there and quotes "he´s the strongest man in the world" implying he´s stronger then him and everyone else.
Nov 17, 2014 10:37 PM

Jul 2013
But he wasn't just old, he was also very sick.
The guy had to live on oxygen tubes.
Nov 18, 2014 1:10 AM

Apr 2014
lulz. wut?
Nov 18, 2014 9:08 PM

Jan 2014
Isterio said:

Ok. Thank you for that. That just revealed to me exactly what type of 'fan' you are. I won't waste my time any further.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Nov 19, 2014 3:29 AM

Oct 2013
Nope, I don't think so. While it's true that he could have shown more of his great powers, we should also consider his own words.
Edward said, no one can be the strongest everytime. Even he had to suffer from an illness and old age. Nevertheless, he did a great job. His resistance was amazing and powers of the Gura Gura no Mi too. I think, even at Marineford Edward lived up to the legend called Whitebeard.
Nov 19, 2014 3:41 AM
Oct 2013
[quote=RedRoseFring][quote=Isterio]
RedRoseFring said:

Ok. Thank you for that. That just revealed to me exactly what type of 'fan' you are. I won't waste my time any further.

Bullshit quote if you look at my profile you can see that I rate both series on a 9 because there is no perfect series and people claiming their series to be a 10/10 are retarded imo, there simple is no perfect series.

Yet, if I like Zorro or Luffy and think they are awesome characters it doesnt mean I have to like whitebeard.

And I mean it whitebeard is one of the most promising yet most underdeveloped characters Oda ever offered to us. Whitebeard as a "father" was believeable and that sequence where he sees his son die and let´s out a tear was really awesome.

But he ddin´t live up to his hype that´s my bone with him.
Nov 19, 2014 1:54 PM

Jan 2014
Isterio said:

Bullshit quote if you look at my profile you can see that I rate both series on a 9 because there is no perfect series and people claiming their series to be a 10/10 are retarded imo, there simple is no perfect series.

Yet, if I like Zorro or Luffy and think they are awesome characters it doesnt mean I have to like whitebeard.

And I mean it whitebeard is one of the most promising yet most underdeveloped characters Oda ever offered to us. Whitebeard as a "father" was believeable and that sequence where he sees his son die and let´s out a tear was really awesome.

But he ddin´t live up to his hype that´s my bone with him.

Ok. Sorry he didn't destroy the planet and kill admirals with a single punch.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Nov 21, 2014 5:23 AM

Apr 2014
Rayleigh is Roger Vice Captain and holding Kizaru alone is his limit.
Whitebeard is holding all the Navy and 3 Admiral and you ask for more? he split Marineford in 2 and you said his title is bullshit? He died standing and you said he is a letdown?
Did you expect him to blow Marineford to smithereens and make everyone on that island lost they're footing including his men just to convince you he's the strongest? Well he did planned to do it after Ace is freed but things don't go smoothly as he think.
tr1ckst3rNov 21, 2014 5:29 AM
Nov 21, 2014 7:31 AM

Jan 2014
tr1ckst3r said:
Whitebeard is holding all the Navy and 3 Admiral and you ask for more? he split Marineford in 2 and you said his title is bullshit? He died standing and you said he is a letdown?
Did you expect him to blow Marineford to smithereens and make everyone on that island lost they're footing including his men just to convince you he's the strongest? Well he did planned to do it after Ace is freed but things don't go smoothly as he think.

We've already covered that and apologized that Whitebeard didn't destroy the planet or explode people's hearts Kill Bill style.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Nov 21, 2014 10:08 PM
Oct 2013
tr1ckst3r said:

You fucking serious? Here rewatch it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htxynVbl50A

Rayleigh didn´t give two shits about Kizaru, he blocks him and doesn´t even sweat. That´s where we´re shown the gap between the boys and the "real monsters". He´s considered to be "on par" with whitebeard and it was mentioned that him or Dragon appearing on the battlefied could change the flow of the battle by themselves.

And Yes if Whitebeard was weaker than Roger, yet both seemed to be on good terms with each other since they had different goals, Rayleigh is probably as strong as the "second" strongest Captain from that era.

However you put it Zorro was never mentioned to be considerably weaker than Luffy, Oda constant reminds us of this. They probably are equals just Luffys right as a captain makes him fight enemie leaders. Since Odas loves to recycle that concept it´s highly likeable that the same goes for Rogers crew.

When One piece will reach it´s conclusion Luffy will be the one facing Akainu. Who will Zorro face? The second strongest guy. Fujitora according tot he Anime spoilers.

So no, watch it again Rayleigh wasn´t impressed, that´s how badass that guy is.

But whitebeard fucking sucks.
Nov 22, 2014 3:53 AM

Jul 2013
he didn't do much but One piece characters aren't allowed to impact the plot for the sake of its longevity

i did like the fact that he didn't have to do anything because of the bonds that he had made protected him that was pretty badass
Nov 22, 2014 4:47 AM

Nov 2010
His purpose was to die so the world could start to change. As he himself said, he is just a remnant of the past with no ship to carry him on into the new age.

His days were over even before war saga, there was no place for him in the story. It's the same as with most of the shonen powerful grandpas.
- all of them were just hanging around, then got into a fight, showed their amazing power, and died.
Nov 22, 2014 11:38 AM

Jan 2014
Isterio said:
tr1ckst3r said:

You fucking serious? Here rewatch it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htxynVbl50A

Rayleigh didn´t give two shits about Kizaru, he blocks him and doesn´t even sweat. That´s where we´re shown the gap between the boys and the "real monsters". He´s considered to be "on par" with whitebeard and it was mentioned that him or Dragon appearing on the battlefied could change the flow of the battle by themselves.

And Yes if Whitebeard was weaker than Roger, yet both seemed to be on good terms with each other since they had different goals, Rayleigh is probably as strong as the "second" strongest Captain from that era.

However you put it Zorro was never mentioned to be considerably weaker than Luffy, Oda constant reminds us of this. They probably are equals just Luffys right as a captain makes him fight enemie leaders. Since Odas loves to recycle that concept it´s highly likeable that the same goes for Rogers crew.

When One piece will reach it´s conclusion Luffy will be the one facing Akainu. Who will Zorro face? The second strongest guy. Fujitora according tot he Anime spoilers.

So no, watch it again Rayleigh wasn´t impressed, that´s how badass that guy is.

But whitebeard fucking sucks.

By the end of that encounter, Rayleigh is sweating bullets, and Kizaru is speaking nonchalantly. It is obvious that Rayleigh would have been subdued if the fight was prolonged. Kizaru has too many advantages.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Nov 22, 2014 9:51 PM
Oct 2013
Let me guess you are a member of the crew?

I wonder wonder why you didn´t threaten to attack my house yet, together with Luffy and Zorro Senpai for daring to critisize god Oda for being flawed like every human.

Why haven´t you called your Nakama fairy buddy from the guild to beat me up for insulting your precious ship?
IsterioNov 22, 2014 9:55 PM
Nov 23, 2014 12:57 AM

Apr 2009
hm, reading the beginning of the thread it kind'of makes sense, that luffy had more spotlights that whitebeard etc.
Still he had some of the badasses moments of the show in general.

In the end who cares. It was just a warm-up for the next things to come - Dragon, Shanks, Big Mum, Kaidou, BlackBeard etc.
:)
Nov 23, 2014 3:38 AM

May 2012
There's different kind of general, Whitebeard is one of those who stay at the HQ and give command.

Nov 23, 2014 11:06 AM
Oct 2013
smokes said:
hm, reading the beginning of the thread it kind'of makes sense, that luffy had more spotlights that whitebeard etc.

In the end who cares. It was just a warm-up for the next things to come - Dragon, Shanks, Big Mum, Kaidou, BlackBeard etc.

My main beef here is basicly, we all know Oda can do better than this. but in this certain situation he pulled a Hiro on us. He overhyped a character telling us how badass he is just in order to finish him off in a really pathetic way. Yes he died standing but it doesn´t change the fact that the damage he got inflicted was inflicted in a retarded preventable way.

It´s like you´re being told that you´ll go to some really awesome restaurant, you got invited in by sheer luck., they will serve some luxurious shit that according to "gourmets" tastes awesome Just to find out the food wasn´t even good, it was ok at best. And because everyone else spouts about how great it is you must say y it´s awesome. 10/10.

There is an example from my own life. I went for the first time in my life to KFC, at the time I knew only Mcdonalds and Burger king big fast food franchises.
KFC was my first encounter with Chilli "Cheese Fries".

It was an awesome experience trying something so good. I wasn´t told it was tasting good I tasted it and that´s how I perceived it.

That´s how whitebeard could have been but instead he was that rubiish 2k dollar meal that tastes like rotten fish.
Nov 23, 2014 11:38 AM

Jan 2014
Isterio said:
smokes said:

My main beef here is basicly, we all know Oda can do better than this. but in this certain situation he pulled a Hiro on us. He overhyped a character telling us how badass he is just in order to finish him off in a really pathetic way. Yes he died standing but it doesn´t change the fact that the damage he got inflicted was inflicted in a retarded preventable way.

It´s like you´re being told that you´ll go to some really awesome restaurant, you got invited in by sheer luck., they will serve some luxurious shit that according to "gourmets" tastes awesome Just to find out the food wasn´t even good, it was ok at best. And because everyone else spouts about how great it is you must say y it´s awesome. 10/10.

There is an example from my own life. I went for the first time in my life to KFC, at the time I knew only Mcdonalds and Burger king big fast food franchises.

It was an awesome experience trying something so good. I wasn´t told it was tasting good I tasted it and that´s how I perceived it.

That´s how whitebeard could have been but instead he was that rubiish 2k dollar meal that tastes like rotten fish.

I thought we already apologized that Whitebeard didn't blow up the planet or swat admirals like flies.
Oda should have had the good sense to make him kill people with just a stare.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Nov 23, 2014 12:15 PM

Apr 2014
RedRoseFring said:
Isterio said:

I thought we already apologized that Whitebeard didn't blow up the planet or swat admirals like flies.

Maybe he should learn not to watch One Piece from Youtube.
Nov 23, 2014 1:17 PM

Mar 2012
Isterio said:
That´s my point, but we can´t really expect to give all those fodder bigshots a storyline, they are his underlings that´s it, it was even more annoying with the Dressrosa arc where we got all that fodder introduced and what their individual abilitys are because they got oneshottted one after another.

Well anyway the only big thing Aces death, Odas first time showing people actually die on screen.

As for whitebeard, he din´t impress me I mean if I get told that he´s a big deal well I guess he is but we got that not shown. It´s the same with destiny, game got hyped now it´s considered garbage because it could not live up to expectations still people out there call it the best game ever because they were told so.

And that speech was kinda touching for many people yet it´s a ripoff of Gol. D Rogers speech. Well whitebeard Sengoku was right no2 for live.

Nobody got focus, bigshot or no.

There was no story, that's the thing. It was a big show od fighting, which makes it disappointing. It had one job and did not excel at it. Whitebeard was a token old guy saying and soing generic stuff, dying in such a cliché manner to make it memorable and all.
I really thought it was a petty attempt.

Ace's death was so predictable it's not funny.
And for a show that never killed before, that's a big thing.
End Zionazism
Nov 23, 2014 2:20 PM
Nov 2014
Isterio said:

I wonder wonder why you didn´t threaten to attack my house yet, together with Luffy and Zorro Senpai for daring to critisize god Oda for being flawed like every human.

Why haven´t you called your Nakama fairy buddy from the guild to beat me up for insulting your precious ship?

Wow, your immature temper tantrum is the only impressive thing among your posts.
Nov 23, 2014 2:45 PM
Oct 2013
Hakumadro said:
Isterio said:

Wow, your immature temper tantrum is the only impressive thing among your posts.

It´s not immature to use sarcasm on arguments which are this:

Combine that with a guy who has a Kizaru signature and you can be sure you´ve found yourself a nice person who enjoys One piece for it´s hillarious situations, interesting plot, exciting surprises, innovative abilitys, evolving characters, mature theme,perfect storytelling, awesome pacing and completely lack of any plotholes or asspulls.

Cause Pell, Bon Clay, Viper and Ussop have obtained bodies of steel through sheer training which is why we all can excuse them surviving the bullshit Oda has put them through. And the Marineford arc is the pinnacle of writting Alan Moore and George R.R Martin should ask Oda how to write a proper story.

Fuck the twisted ending in Watchmen that was bullshit, every citizen in New york should have survived that attack.

Hey Eddard Stark you noob why did you die to a freaking sword? Whatever you gonna be resurrected by Edo Tensei anyway in the 6th book.

It´s the same as being alive that´s why it´s awesome.
IsterioNov 23, 2014 10:55 PM
Nov 23, 2014 2:54 PM
Oct 2013
Mikasa said:
Isterio said:

There was no story, that's the thing. It was a big show od fighting, which makes it disappointing. It had one job and did not excel at it. Whitebeard was a token old guy saying and soing generic stuff, dying in such a cliché manner to make it memorable and all.

Just one point how was Ace´s death predictable?
Judging from the fact that no one in the series had died yet on screen it seemed pretty uncalled to me. I was expecting whitebeard to die but Ace was kinda surprising. Just the assumption of his death can only be predicted by the fact of the shared dream with Luffy. Oda basicly removing that obstacle by killing him off.
Nov 24, 2014 1:26 PM

Jan 2014
Isterio said:
Hakumadro said:

Combine that with a guy who has a Kizaru signature and you can be sure you´ve found yourself a nice person who enjoys One piece for it´s hillarious situations, interesting plot, exciting surprises, innovative abilitys, evolving characters, mature theme,perfect storytelling, awesome pacing and completely lack of any plotholes or asspulls.

Cause Pell, Bon Clay, Viper and Ussop have obtained bodies of steel through sheer training which is why we all can excuse them surviving the bullshit Oda has put them through. And the Marineford arc is the pinnacle of writting Alan Moore and George R.R Martin should ask Oda how to write a proper story.

Fuck the twisted ending in Watchmen that was bullshit, every citizen in New york should have survived that attack.

Hey Eddard Stark you noob why did you die to a freaking sword? Whatever you gonna be resurrected by Edo Tensei anyway in the 6th book.

Indeed.
Damn it Oda! Why aren't you killing people left and right? Usopp should have been killed by his "I - can't -get -on-that -island -disease"! Frickin' bullshit!
Everyone knows that Alan Moore and Martin are only regarded as good writers because they slaughter their characters every second page!
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Nov 24, 2014 1:52 PM

Apr 2013
Maybe what strong mean here is that he has a major impact to the world, he has many of the island under his control, remember that after his death many places on the world started to riot, even sengoku or someone (I forgot it :p) mentioned that the world will lost it's stability cause shirohige is dead
Nov 24, 2014 8:48 PM

May 2014
Hakumadro said:
Isterio said:

Ironic that you'd call someone out for being immature, considering your post history.
Typing on an ipad is like driving carpentry nails with a sledgehammer.
Nov 25, 2014 12:43 AM
Oct 2013
RedRoseFring said:
Isterio said:

Indeed.
Damn it Oda! Why aren't you killing people left and right? Usopp should have been killed by his "I - can't -get -on-that -island -disease"! Frickin' bullshit!
Everyone knows that Alan Moore and Martin are only regarded as good writers because they slaughter their characters every second page!

Did I ever imply that they kill their characters left and right, do you even know who Alan Moore is? Yes if you google it you´d probably know but did you know it when you read my post?

You realize that Oda is horrible at building tension within his manga there is never a fear for anyone to die because he simply doesn´t do it. And no I do not mean the Strawhats we know they are gonna survive even if he tries to troll us with Zorro now and then it´s just a display of badassness through endurance.
I mean side characters who have no reason to show up in the story again or have any implication for the main character cast.
Punk Hazard being the best example where even the fodder Marines survived all the ongoing shit.

Oda is great for other things he does, but this is his one mayor flaw, another flaw was the writting of whitebeard. His backstory was fairly decent no doubts here, but what whitebeard accomplished was horrible compared to the expectations given.

Does whitebeard suck? Yes!
Is it his fault? No!

You´ve shown in your post that for you One piece is the greatest thing ever and you don´t see any flaws within it. I wont respond anymore to shit you say since you lack the maturity of accepting reality.

Do I like One piece, yes I do but it´s not a 10/10 story.
IsterioNov 25, 2014 12:55 AM
Nov 25, 2014 3:22 AM

Oct 2014
Isterio said:

Punk Hazard being the best example where even the fodder Marines survived all the ongoing shit.

[spoiler] Monet and Vergo [/b]
Nov 25, 2014 4:41 AM
Oct 2013
Phoenix_Wright said:
Isterio said:

You think they dead?
MR 5 survived a mad burning Zorro, charging at him cutting him in pieces and than setting him on fire.

Even if, it would be the second on screen death where someone doesn´t die within a flashback, since Ace.
Nov 25, 2014 10:13 AM

Oct 2014
Isterio said:
Phoenix_Wright said:

You think they dead?
MR 5 survived a mad burning Zorro, charging at him cutting him in pieces and than setting him on fire.

Even if, it would be the second on screen death where someone doesn´t die within a flashback, since Ace.
[/quote]

I personally don't think that they are dead. But it isn't stated that they survived in manga either. It actually can go either way. But I guess they are dead, until confirmed otherwise?

Well, he wasn't the only one who died in this arc, and wasn't the first. The first was Whitebeard himself.
Nov 25, 2014 5:23 PM

Jan 2014
Isterio said:

Of course I know who Alan Moore is. Anime isn't the only way I entertain myself. I was (and still do) reading comics before you came out of the crib

And surprise, surprise. Another person who thinks killing people is the only way to create tension. We had that discussion months ago.

You are yet to give any clear indication of what those "expectations" for Whitebeard were except for destroying the world and killing admirals with single blows.

Maybe...you are the one who had faulty expectations? (Inconceivable, I know!) That always seems to be the last thought to cross people's minds, eh?

"You´ve shown in your post that for you One piece is the greatest thing ever and you don´t see any flaws within it."
Lol. Now you are making up stuff about me reading my mind.
Yes, I think One Piece is the best thing EVAR!!! I pray to Goda everyday and sleep with at least 10 manga volumes everynight.
I also "Nina table action" to a picture of Luffy as "Luffy is love, Luffy is life" plays on a freakin' vintage record player.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Nov 26, 2014 12:14 AM
Oct 2013
Phoenix_Wright said:
Isterio said:

You think they dead?

I personally don't think that they are dead. But it isn't stated that they survived in manga either. It actually can go either way. But I guess they are dead, until confirmed otherwise?

Well, he wasn't the only one who died in this arc, and wasn't the first. The first was Whitebeard himself.[/quote]

Ok first did you read that arc? Cause your post is kinda confusing

As I get it, you don´t wanna believe Vergo and Monet are dead but you assume they are since they haven´t shown back up again yet.

And you say hat Whitebeard died first in the Marineford arc?
Besides the random guys and the Marine soldier that was melted by Akainu Ace was the first mayor casuality whitebeard died "after "going on a rampage trying to kill Akainu when he saw his son dying in Luffys arms and the vivre card being disintigrated to assure us, yes he really he died I don´t pull a pell on you guys here.
Nov 26, 2014 12:42 AM

Mar 2012
Isterio said:
Mikasa said:

Just one point how was Ace´s death predictable?
Judging from the fact that no one in the series had died yet on screen it seemed pretty uncalled to me. I was expecting whitebeard to die but Ace was kinda surprising. Just the assumption of his death can only be predicted by the fact of the shared dream with Luffy. Oda basicly removing that obstacle by killing him off.

How was that unpredictable?
It was from the place in the story the part where they lose, this was the equivalent of Sasuke vs Naruto or Aizen betraying everyone, and you could see him dying from a mile away because of the build up, and because Luffy did once save him "too early"
End Zionazism
Nov 26, 2014 4:29 AM

Oct 2014
Isterio said:
Phoenix_Wright said:

Well, he wasn't the only one who died in this arc, and wasn't the first. The first was Whitebeard himself.

Ok first did you read that arc? Cause your post is kinda confusing

As I get it, you don´t wanna believe Vergo and Monet are dead but you assume they are since they haven´t shown back up again yet.

And you say hat Whitebeard died first in the Marineford arc?
Besides the random guys and the Marine soldier that was melted by Akainu Ace was the first mayor casuality whitebeard died "after "going on a rampage trying to kill Akainu when he saw his son dying in Luffys arms and the vivre card being disintigrated to assure us, yes he really he died I don´t pull a pell on you guys here.[/quote]

Damn, I originally meant that he died in the same arc as Ace as well =D Sorry, a typo.

Yeah, I meant, that I don't want for two of them to die, but all evidence points to them being dead. That's all what I meant.
Nov 27, 2014 12:45 AM

Jun 2014
Mikasa said:
It was from the place in the story the part where they lose, this was the equivalent of Sasuke vs Naruto or Aizen betraying everyone, and you could see him dying from a mile away because of the build up, and because Luffy did once save him "too early"

I'm surpised you actually found that predictable. That was the first important death in the series that didn't occur in a flashback. Knowing One Piece, I was so sure that he would be saved somehow so for him to be actually killed was quite shocking to me and had a far greater impact than it would've had if it was from a series like say AKG.

OT: WB lived up to his hype for me. I don't care about powerlevels in One Piece since I find them to be inconsistent here so what I was expecting of him didn't dissapoint.
AgafinNov 27, 2014 12:49 AM
Nov 27, 2014 1:00 AM

Nov 2014
RedRoseFring said:

My main issue with the war ark was that it made whitebeard's crew look really weak towards the end. It was just akainu vs all the division commanders and akainu was winning against all of them. It would have made more sense if it was 13 division commanders vs 3 admirals.

After showing marco's awesomeness, jozu's strength and vista's sword skills they gave me the impression that they were all very powerful but akainu was treating them like fodder this power inconsistency is my main gripe with the ark.

Also i would like to add that it seemed kind of lame that luffy was able to free ace with sengoku right there. I can understand how he was able to get past garp being his grandson and all but sengoku?
omeg4Nov 27, 2014 1:04 AM
Nov 27, 2014 1:44 AM
Oct 2013
Agafin said:
Mikasa said:

I'm surpised you actually found that predictable. That was the first important death in the series that didn't occur in a flashback. Knowing One Piece, I was so sure that he would be saved somehow so for him to be actually killed was quite shocking to me and had a far greater impact than it would've had if it was from a series like say AKG.

OT: WB lived up to his hype for me. I don't care about powerlevels in One Piece since I find them to be inconsistent here so what I was expecting of him didn't dissapoint.

Same for me Aces death was the saving grace of the Arc, considering with all the Bullshit Oda pulled in the past, I was actually shocked when seeing him die.

And I only was sure that he was dead when I saw the grave, there I was sure ok they buried him he´s actually dead. The vivre card was no indication of death to me knowing Oda.
Nov 27, 2014 7:05 AM

Oct 2014
omeg4 said:
RedRoseFring said:

My main issue with the war ark was that it made whitebeard's crew look really weak towards the end. It was just akainu vs all the division commanders and akainu was winning against all of them. It would have made more sense if it was 13 division commanders vs 3 admirals.

After showing marco's awesomeness, jozu's strength and vista's sword skills they gave me the impression that they were all very powerful but akainu was treating them like fodder this power inconsistency is my main gripe with the ark.

Also i would like to add that it seemed kind of lame that luffy was able to free ace with sengoku right there. I can understand how he was able to get past garp being his grandson and all but sengoku?

Because Akainu is not the simple Admiral, he is the top Admiral, who was able to hold himself against Whitebeard. Hence why he is a Fleet Admiral now. It is not that all Admirals are equal, some are stronger, some are weaker, and of course they become stronger as time goes.

Isterio said:

And I only was sure that he was dead when I saw the grave, there I was sure ok they buried him he´s actually dead. The vivre card was no indication of death to me knowing Oda.

I was sure that he was dead, only when I saw his devil fruit reappearing =D We saw Pell's grave once, so for me graves are not the indication of death. And I dunno if Sabo has a grave or not... But you get what I am talking about.
Nov 27, 2014 8:23 AM
Oct 2013
Isterio said:

I was sure that he was dead, only when I saw his devil fruit reappearing =D We saw Pell's grave once, so for me graves are not the indication of death. And I dunno if Sabo has a grave or not... But you get what I am talking about.[/quote]

There is a huge difference between Aces grave and Pells.
Pell wasn´t buried since supposedly the corpse was disintigrated.
As for Ace the Grave was a clear indicator of death since I could not imagine them pulling a CIA witness protection program on us.
Nov 27, 2014 8:53 AM

Oct 2014
Isterio said:

As for Ace the Grave was a clear indicator of death since I could not imagine them pulling a CIA witness protection program on us.

Oda could make insane thing, such as Shanks stealing his body and delivering it to Vegapunk, who could use his insane knowledge and somehow ressurect or modify Ace if he was still alive. I am glad that Oda didn't do it though, because it sounds crazy, but with One Piece you are never sure. People claimed for years that Sabo was dead, heck with him being a little kid without any haki and devil fruit power, and being shot, caught into the explosion ,and the very ship he was into, being burned down, yet he somehow survived. We indeed saw Ace's grave, but we never saw him being burried, but now, gladly, with his devil fruit reappearing, we can say for 100% that he isn't alive. Now devil fruits may be some kind of confirmation if character indeed died or not. We all thought that Bellamy died, but he didn't. I dunno, if Oda will use this plot point only once (Mera Mera reappearing) or he will use it later again for indication of devil fruit users dying. I dunno, if Sara Sara no Mi reappears in the plot, or not.
Nov 27, 2014 1:13 PM
Oct 2013
Phoenix_Wright said:
Isterio said:

Oda could make insane thing, such as Shanks stealing his body and delivering it to Vegapunk, who could use his insane knowledge and somehow ressurect or modify Ace if he was still alive. I am glad that Oda didn't do it though, because it sounds crazy, but with One Piece you are never sure. People claimed for years that Sabo was dead, heck with him being a little kid without any haki and devil fruit power, and being shot, caught into the explosion ,and the very ship he was into, being burned down, yet he somehow survived. We indeed saw Ace's grave, but we never saw him being burried, but now, gladly, with his devil fruit reappearing, we can say for 100% that he isn't alive. Now devil fruits may be some kind of confirmation if character indeed died or not. We all thought that Bellamy died, but he didn't. I dunno, if Oda will use this plot point only once (Mera Mera reappearing) or he will use it later again for indication of devil fruit users dying. I dunno, if Sara Sara no Mi reappears in the plot, or not.

Well Bellamy surviving was ok, it was believeable. Pell was bullshit, the handling of whitebeard was bullshit, Bon clay was bullshit because same as pell, the whole impact of his sacrfice "THROWN OUT THE WINDOW".

Oda I love your series but don´t imply that those guys are dead if you need them for story progression, that´s borderline trolling.

Remember when Jiraya died in Naruto, it was sad it had an impact on the character that was good writting. Well we got Kaguya after that which was no comment on her. But that´s Odas mayor problem letting Characters pretend to sacrifice themselves and then survive bullshit.

Yet he has shown us he´s really good with killing people in flashbacks. Jaguar, Bellemere, Kuina Ussops mom, Portgas D. Rogue Gol. D Roger. Doc Bader and Scarlet.

All memorable and well executed destinys.

I could go and start a meme about One Piece.

Only exists in flashbacks yet has more relevance to the story than the main cast.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 392 Discussion ( 1 2 )

dbaranyi - Mar 8, 2009

92 by gannoncannon55 »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 391 Discussion

Kitschi - Mar 11, 2009

40 by gannoncannon55 »»
2 hours ago

» I miss the old fights.

NeutralSide - Sep 14, 2023

25 by NeutralSide »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1062 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AhriTheS3xyFox - May 20, 2023

328 by mihirmishra »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 229 Discussion

VARIAchan - Jan 5, 2010

42 by kejora »»
Today, 2:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.