Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 12, 2014 9:46 AM
Oct 2014
Hi, I'm a relatively new user and I haven't seen a lot of anime yet.
I'm looking for something that suits the following prerequisites:
-actual romance (no confession ending, I like when there's an actual relationship)
-Not too dark/serious but not humour-only either
-I don't mind ecchi/harem but I don't like incest
-2008 or later
-I like fantasy elements.

Good examples I have watched: Zero no tsukaima and the first part of SAO.

Thanks in advance guys, loving the activity on this forum!! :D
Nov 12, 2014 9:52 AM

Oct 2013
Toradora
Kokoro Connect
Nisekoi
Clannad
Golden Time
The World God Only Knows
Kanon (2006)
Ano Natsu de Matteru
Nagi no Asukara
White Album 2
Nov 12, 2014 9:57 AM

Oct 2014
+1 Toradora
+1 Kokoro Connect
+1 Golden Time
+1 Ano Natsu de Matteru
+1 Nagi no Asukara

Gosick
Chuunibyou demo koi ga shitai
Nov 12, 2014 10:06 AM

Jun 2014
kimi no todoke

NOT chuunibyou demo koi ga shitai!!!
It doesnt have any romance in it AT ALL
not even a confession at the ending
they dont even like each other
Nov 12, 2014 10:19 AM

Jul 2013
Here you go. All of the following have confirmed couples WITH happy endings:

Sorry for the ones you've already seen.
Eminem meets Clannad
Just when you thought Clannad's OST was as sad as it could get ;_;

If you seen School Days, rewatch the ending while listening to A Little of Piece of Heaven by A7X. I guarantee laughs.
Nov 12, 2014 10:34 AM

Jun 2010
Since we're dumping...

Also, this fellow speaks the truth:
yogashi said:

If you want a reason to watch Chuu2, it's the fantasy setting or the easygoing school SoL, or maybe Nibutani, but NOT the romance. It's a really secondary plot element and there's zero to none development.
Nov 12, 2014 10:59 AM

Oct 2014
yogashi said:
kimi no todoke

I'm not sure if you watched the anime at all.

xbobx said:

If you want a reason to watch Chuu2, it's the fantasy setting or the easygoing school SoL, or maybe Nibutani, but NOT the romance. It's a really secondary plot element and there's zero to none development.

In your list you rec angel beats, and angel beats has basically 0 romance. I don't know about the manga, but that is the case in the anime. I'm not sure how you are defining "development".
Nov 12, 2014 11:08 AM

Jun 2010
MintPanda said:
xbobx said:

In your list you rec angel beats, and angel beats has basically 0 romance. I don't know about the manga, but that is the case in the anime. I'm not sure how you are defining "development".

Surely, you jest.
Development is a simple word to interpret. Roughly, it means going from one point to another in a relationship. Throughout the series, characters must show growing affection and/or strong feelings, culminating in something passive of being labeled romance (i.e: kiss, confession ,etc).
In Angel Beats! it's clearly stamped on the final 3 episodes the pairing that's forming there, while in Chuu2 they insert the romance during the half of the first season and leave it there, untouched.
There's no deeper development, and considering the final message, it's inferred that Rikka's chuunibyou is stronger than her intentions to "be a couple".
It's still a romance, but a very weak one, and not the type OP is looking for.
Nov 12, 2014 11:27 AM

Oct 2014
xbobx said:
MintPanda said:

Surely, you jest.
Development is a simple word to interpret. Roughly, it means going from one point to another in a relationship. Throughout the series, characters must show growing affection and/or strong feelings, culminating in something passive of being labeled romance (i.e: kiss, confession ,etc).
In Angel Beats! it's clearly stamped on the final 3 episodes the pairing that's forming there, while in Chuu2 they insert the romance during the half of the first season and leave it there, untouched.
There's no deeper development, and considering the final message, it's inferred that Rikka's chuunibyou is stronger than her intentions to "be a couple".
It's still a romance, but a very weak one, and not the type OP is looking for.

There is little to no development besides what feels like an absolutely forced pairing between the protagonists of Angel beats. And if you want to apply strictly to "what the OP is looking for", he already mentions no confession endings, and that's exactly what happens in angel beats.

Nov 12, 2014 11:40 AM

Jun 2010
Holy bias Batman!
It really doesn't matter if YOU thought AB!'s pairing was "forced", it is a solid pairing and a solid example of a romance. I also never implied that's the 10/10 for his request, read my post again, it's the copypasta dump.

[CHUUNIBYOU SPOILERS]
MintPanda said:

Nov 12, 2014 11:45 AM

Oct 2013
xbobx said:
Holy bias Batman!
It really doesn't matter if YOU thought AB!'s pairing was "forced", it is a solid pairing and a solid example of a romance. I also never implied that's the 10/10 for his request, read my post again, it's the copypasta dump.

But Angel Beats isn't focused on romance as well.
Nov 12, 2014 11:49 AM

Jun 2010
-RIPriest- said:
xbobx said:
Holy bias Batman!

You better have your definitions checked.
Nov 12, 2014 11:52 AM

Oct 2013
xbobx said:
-RIPriest- said:

You better have your definitions checked.

Why would I?
Nov 12, 2014 12:05 PM

May 2014
Campione
Dragounaut the Resonance
Elemental Gelade
Jinsei
Love Hina
Nisekoi
Outbreak Company
Photokano
Rosairo Vampire
Tales of the Abyss
Utawarerumono
"I lost all of what you could call feelings of love. They weren't sealed, so they can't be released. They weren't broken, so they can't be fixed. That which is lost, cannot be recovered." Shiba Tatsuya
"There are no regrets. If one can be proud of one's life, one should not wish for another chance." Saber
"No matter what happens, no matter how crazy things get, I'll always try to restore balance." Korra
"It's madness to let others take what's yours and accept it blindly." Baatar Jr
"Instinct is a lie, told by a fearful body, hoping to be wrong." Zaheer
"Partner in crime, partner in time" Chloe Price and Max Caulfield
Nov 12, 2014 12:12 PM

Oct 2013
^Outbreak Company doesn't have an actual relationship.
Nov 12, 2014 12:15 PM

Oct 2014
xbobx said:
Holy bias Batman!

1. If by a solid romance you mean 23 episodes of something else and 3 episodes of "romance", that's pretty hard to swallow. Gosick isn't classified as a romance, yet it has strong romantic development which is separate from the plot but very apparent throughout the entire series.

2. If by "solid romance", you simply mean somebody is implied to be paired at any time at any moment in the show, then I can say Shakugan no Shana has romance (if hypothetically speaking you ignore shana and yuuji) because Oga and Eita are together, even though nothing is shown for their "development", their relationship and pairing is strongly implied.

I agree that romance is not the focus of the show, but it is a very significant part of chuunibyou.

xbobx said:

[CHUUNIBYOU SPOILERS]

Anyway, sorry for hijacking the thread into a discussion.
Nov 12, 2014 1:53 PM

Nov 2014
I have never cried about a film in my entirely LIFE just 10 min ago i finished mirai nikki , my gosh what a tears. Such a awesome twisted romanthic story 10/10

More topics from this board

» Anime that have all female guilds/clubs/groups/living places, etc

GakutoDeathGlare - 8 hours ago

1 by Zarutaku »»
2 hours ago

» 150 Chapters Manhwa/Manhua

Nizalich - Apr 21

3 by duchessliz87 »»
6 hours ago

» New(ish) Manga Reader in Need of Recommendations!

Wakarimas-en - Yesterday

4 by ToG25thBaam »»
6 hours ago

» Similar animes to Tengoku Daimakyou ( 1 2 )

Salvaged - Apr 21

69 by WatchTillTandava »»
7 hours ago

» Planning to watch Sousou no Frieren

WitchDoc - Apr 18

10 by Faisal-Abdulhadi »»
Yesterday, 9:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.