Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 9, 2008 4:46 PM
Jul 2018
Is this available in English? It sounds interesting, and I might check it out. Of course, I can't read Japanese, so that could be a problem... :P
Feb 9, 2008 5:08 PM

Mar 2007
It's licensed by TokyoPop and the first volume have been translated, I'm not sure about the second but it should be released rather soon. Unless it've already been released of course.
SobzobFeb 9, 2008 5:13 PM
Mar 12, 2008 9:09 AM

Feb 2008
Radical. This is one I wanted to check out but thought wasn't licensed. guess I should have investigated.
Mar 12, 2008 9:27 AM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
The books have gone into licensing hell.

Here is a quote from the ANN forums from the translator:
It isn't coming out any time soon. Any and all release dates you see are lies.
If they ever are allowed to continue publishing the series, I'm sure they'll relaunch it and you'll see a new story on the topic on the front page of ANN. Until that happens, assume all release dates are wrong.

Source
Mar 12, 2008 9:31 AM

Feb 2008
What the ball suck. I wish more English speaking people over the age of 15 bought manga so we could see more of these good series translated.
Mar 12, 2008 9:51 AM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
I don't think it was due to sales, it more has to do with the company over in Japan.

Though I've been dying to read the books (I did buy the first one which is out in English), but at least now I know not to get my hopes up every time there is a new release date.
Mar 12, 2008 9:53 AM

Feb 2008
Oh. Well then bummer, but yeah I'm glad I won't be fooled by dates as well! Thanks for being in the know. :)
Mar 16, 2008 4:10 AM

Nov 2007
just a question, since the 1st vol is released, do u know where i can download it or read it online ?
Apr 12, 2008 3:00 AM

Jun 2007
I hope they release the second novel (soon az possible)T_T I remember... when they released the .hack//Another Birth novels... One year and they released 4 novel...

By the way, The first novel was great and the quality of the book and the translate was very good.
Apr 12, 2008 8:51 AM

Apr 2007
Azurien said:
I hope they release the second novel (soon az possible)T_T I remember... when they released the .hack//Another Birth novels... One year and they released 4 novel...

By the way, The first novel was great and the quality of the book and the translate was very good.

They already released the 2nd book didn't they? *goes to confirm, meanwhile is looking at this awesome kino bookmark that's totally expensive but totally awesome which i totally want.

So the person who told me the 2nd volume was released was lying, and I found out others are saying its actually been discontinued... omfg
SiingApr 12, 2008 9:24 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 23, 2008 2:23 PM

Jun 2007
I've read it on Tokyopop.de they release the books as "Kinos Reise". They are so lucky T_T

http://www.tokyopop.de/buecher/romane/kinos_reise/index.php

That's "discontinued" tale... Aww it's very annoying... I think I'll write a letter for Tokyopop. (My english are terrible but I'll try it^^)
Sep 1, 2008 10:54 AM
Aug 2008
The Germans are so lucky to have at least the first four volumes published... I caved and bought the first 11 volumes and the 2 Gakuen Kino (parody-style story by the same author about Kino in a Japanese High Schooler lifestyle- Hermes is a cell-phone strap...) novels in Japanese. I'm currently studying 300-level (university third year) Japanese, and Kino's Journey has become my massive "I don't want to study but I need to" excuse of a project. I might release the translations to the public baka-tsuki style (for corrections and critique), but that's if I actually finish the first couple of chapters. So far, I've gotten to page 22 of 238, and picking up speed. If I do put it online, I will definitely post the link.
Sep 3, 2008 12:55 PM
Dec 2007
;o; Discontinued? Dammit right when I started reading it I find out there's not going to be any more for a while... *cries in corner*
Sep 3, 2008 3:37 PM
Aug 2008
For those wondering, Baka-Tsuki (a wiki-based translation site) has started working on vols. 2-11. I think most of volume 11 is complete and available to read, but I don't think anyone has started on the others...
Sep 5, 2008 9:50 PM

Jun 2008
RaitoTheReaper said:
;o; Discontinued? Dammit right when I started reading it I find out there's not going to be any more for a while... *cries in corner*

Yeah, I'd give away Boogiepop and Gosick just to have this series back. Or are all LNs from Tokyopop discontiuned? =/
Sep 28, 2008 6:39 PM

Sep 2008
Tarnan said:
RaitoTheReaper said:

Yeah, I'd give away Boogiepop and Gosick just to have this series back. Or are all LNs from Tokyopop discontiuned? =/

They pretty much are...
Oct 5, 2008 6:13 PM
Dec 2007
TokyoPop can't stick with anything. It appears that the only thing that they stick with is all of the hyped up popular crap.
Nov 10, 2008 1:49 PM

Sep 2007
Dammit, I really wanted to buy these (j___j)
~ Nothing makes us as lonely as our own secrets ~

Jan 11, 2009 8:49 AM
Aug 2008
Tokyopop finally got off their asses and decided to release both volume 2 and 3 this year, according to Chapters.Indigo.Ca . July 7th is their date... Hopefully they also redistribute Volume 1, which is the biggest pain to try and get new.
Jan 15, 2009 9:06 PM

Apr 2008
I have truly and thoroughly lost any and all patience with anything having to do with Tokyopop. Im half hoping that they lose the distro rights and someone else will pick it up ( I know, not likely). It's a pity really, because I used to follow a lot of Tokyopop's series, going all the way back to when they were publishing Sailor Moon and MKR in MixxZine when I was in the first year in High school.
Jan 16, 2009 7:34 AM
Aug 2008
I know what you mean. I've noticed that almost all the things that I've been willing to buy in English are either Viz or DMP. I also don't particularly like the way they translated volume 1 of Kino's Journey. Which is why I bought them all in Japanese... :p, even though it takes me probably three times longer to read.
Jun 26, 2009 6:12 AM
Jul 2008
so did tokyopop completely dropped this or are they just releasing with a massive delay?
when i checked for the kino artbook i coincidentally discovered that tokyopop is supposedly releasing v5 of the novel in august 2009 in german (according to amazon).
"buch.de"´s release date is in september. however i cant seem to find neither a official release date on tokyopop´s german website nor any releasedates for further english version at all.
Oct 9, 2009 12:18 PM

Jun 2007
They dropped (or just cancelled?) the series because it didn't sell too good. :S
Dec 31, 2009 11:28 AM

Apr 2008
It wasn't because it didn't sell well, although most people aren't too interested in it anyways, more's the pity. As I understand from trawling through the Internet, there were licensing problems, and the Japanese distributors did not like something that Tokyopop was doing. I don't remember what, as I found the information about a year ago. THE DISAPPOINTMENT ;______;
I've had a change of heart!
Oct 20, 2010 6:50 PM

Jan 2010
Sigh, I needs moar volumes of Kino. Her journeys are too epic to not be published in English! We need the later volumes so we can read all the stories that didn't make it into the anime... TT.TT
Jan 5, 2011 8:22 PM

Sep 2010
I don't think Light Novels sell well in the US like they do over in Japan. Which is a shame because Kino's journey is an excellent series. I'll be ok with just spoilers as to how it ends or where its at now.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Mar 9, 2011 9:58 AM

Jan 2010
You can find English translation in here:

http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=Kino_no_Tabi

Enjoy! ^_^
Mar 9, 2011 10:01 AM

Jan 2010
You can fine English translations of Kino no Tabi in here:

http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=Kino_no_Tabi

^_^
Sep 28, 2011 1:08 PM
Jan 2008
So did they stop translating this? or did they move someplace else, because it seems that they haven't posted anything in like 2 years
Sep 28, 2011 5:45 PM

Jan 2010
Yeah, I am still waiting for the rest as well! :(
May 25, 2014 5:10 AM

Jan 2013
Baka-Tsuki and untuned-strings have translated quite a lot of volumes so far, and it's still being updated now and then.

I think Tokyopop stopped releasing volumes because the Japanese company wasn't happy with the changes Tokyopop made to the series. At least, that's what I heard. They made the novel more linear and messed around with the chapter order, and started adding lines that didn't even exist and some of the stuff Kino says is completely out of character. After reading Tokyopop's edition of the first volume I can see why they wouldn't be happy.

It's still a shame though, it's my favourite LN series of all time, but the official English translation will probably never get continued.
Sep 1, 2014 2:15 PM

Feb 2013
Guess we gotta live with Baka-Tsuki.
Thanks for being awesome, Baka-Tsuki.
Dec 11, 2014 7:02 AM

Mar 2014
Novangel said:
They made the novel more linear and messed around with the chapter order, and started adding lines that didn't even exist and some of the stuff Kino says is completely out of character. After reading Tokyopop's edition of the first volume I can see why they wouldn't be happy.

Thanks for the details about the LN. That's exactly what I wanted to know :)

I was debating with myself about buying the English release of volume one, as I figured I could just read the chapters in the correct order, but seeing as they changed as much as they did, then I suppose I'll just watch the anime instead.

It's unfortunate, but there it is...

Thanks again!
Bittenfeld said:
To tell you my honest feelings, Admiral Müller, as the groom at a wedding ceremony, the Kaiser is simply just a handsome man, I'm afraid to say. But as the supreme fleet admiral who leads entire fleets, he's really a godly person. Don't you think so, too?
Müller said:
I think he's quite godly as a groom, too.
Aug 8, 2016 3:31 PM

Aug 2013
I have a question: Does anyone know if Yen Press has ever dropped a series they were publishing ? 'cause if someone is going to get at crack at the series again, it's them.

But apart from the fact it's really niche, the ongoing publication and the length don't help either.
"Even now, I travel on my journey,
Believing in the world,
Aiming for something far away – an endless journey.
Having a dream like someone else’s,
Or being in someone else’s dream –
Which would you prefer?"
Oct 26, 2017 10:24 PM
Jan 2011
With the new anime series and thus the renewed interest I'd guess now is as good a time as any for it to get relicensed. I'll bet Yen Press picks it up within the year.
Oct 27, 2017 4:25 AM

Aug 2013
Rhys2753 said:
With the new anime series and thus the renewed interest I'd guess now is as good a time as any for it to get relicensed. I'll bet Yen Press picks it up within the year.

It would be nice, but I am not sure about that. It's not what I would call a "mainstream" series, and the fact that there are more than twenty-one volumes might dissuade a publisher to pick it up.

Fingers crossed.
Believing in the world,
Which would you prefer?"
Oct 27, 2017 8:56 AM
Jan 2011
DerMond said:
Rhys2753 said:

It would be nice, but I am not sure about that. It's not what I would call a "mainstream" series, and the fact that there are more than twenty-one volumes might dissuade a publisher to pick it up.

Fingers crossed.

I wouldn't call Baccano! a mainstream series, yet they have it, and it has 22. They have 5 out over here now. But yeah definitely fingers crossed.
Oct 28, 2017 11:23 AM

Aug 2013
Rhys2753 said:
DerMond said:

Fingers crossed.

I wouldn't call Baccano! a mainstream series, yet they have it, and it has 22. They have 5 out over here now. But yeah definitely fingers crossed.

Baccano is still more accessible than Kino, and it's also carried by Drrr! So no, the situation is different.
Believing in the world,
Which would you prefer?"
Jan 24, 2018 4:28 AM

Aug 2013
And here we are, a month after the anime adaptation finished airing. There are no news nor signs that a publisher (I'm looking at you Yen Press) is willing to license the series.

It doesn't look good, but for once, I'm hoping I am wrong.
Believing in the world,
Which would you prefer?"
Feb 11, 2018 12:24 PM
Jan 2011
Hopefully we hear something in Con season.
Feb 23, 2018 4:47 PM

Apr 2016
God, what I wouldn't give for Yen Press to pick this up from licensing purgatory

Are the fan translations of this any good? I hear fan translations for LNs aren't great, but I might have to put up with them if I really want to read the LNs
May 1, 2018 2:20 AM
May 2018
Bluekirby2 said:
God, what I wouldn't give for Yen Press to pick this up from licensing purgatory

Are the fan translations of this any good? I hear fan translations for LNs aren't great, but I might have to put up with them if I really want to read the LNs

The fan translations are alright, I'd say. Nothing really stands out as awful. On the contrary, the official release of Volume 1 is considered awful by some, in the sense that it contains lots of made-up details that weren't in the original text.
MistahShojiMay 1, 2018 2:30 AM
Aug 3, 2022 1:29 PM
Nov 2021
Are there any translations besides Baka-Tsuki's? It seemed to stall around vol 17 some time ago.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World Chapter 2 Discussion

CQLLIST - Apr 23, 2023

0 by CQLLIST »»
Apr 23, 2023 8:51 AM

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World Volume 1 Discussion

-HippySnob- - Aug 27, 2017

2 by CQLLIST »»
Jul 23, 2022 11:00 PM

» light novel license

theek1 - Jul 12, 2022

0 by theek1 »»
Jul 12, 2022 1:03 AM

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World Volume 9 Discussion

DerMond - Jul 24, 2016

0 by DerMond »»
Jul 24, 2016 6:48 PM

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World Volume 14 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 27, 2015

1 by LoLyeah »»
Feb 4, 2016 2:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.