Forum Settings
Forums

Non fighting Magical Girls, had you watched or read any of these kind of series?

New
Nov 11, 2014 9:18 AM

Oct 2008
I know that now it's common to most people to think that the magical girls should follow the formulas and tropes popularized by Sailor Moon, but those who have watched enough series know that isn't true.
Not all magical girls are about fighting and not all of them need to transform so my question is:

Have you watched any non fighting or non transforming magical girl series?
Which ones and which ones did you like?

I've watched most of them but my favorites are Fancy Lala, Lalabel and Minky Momo.

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Nov 13, 2014 4:11 PM

Sep 2007
At the moment, I've only watched one non fighting mahou shoujo, Hime-chan no Ribbon. It still had transformations and the like, but there were no villains and the magic wasn't used to attack anyone (basically all she can use it is to transform her appearance). It played out like a slice-of-life anime with a magical girl as the main character. I loved it a lot. Not because it was non-fighting, but because I really liked Hime-chan and I thought the romance was pretty cute.

I've also read (and watched) Ultra Maniac but not sure if that counts? It had neither fighting nor transformations, and I also rather liked it. I thought the magic complemented the drama quite nicely and the two main girls were perfect foils.
Aug 23, 2022 2:08 PM
May 2008
SourcererZ said:

I've watched most of them but my favorites are Fancy Lala, Lalabel and Minky Momo.

A few years late after you asked this question, but I wanted to have more series completed before I answered you to give a better answer. When you first asked this question I believe only Lala and Creamy Mami were the only non fighting magical girl series I had seen at the time, and I didn't grow up with neither of those. It was Creamy's 30th anniversary.

Since then I've watched Ultra Maniac (yes soaring_wings it is magical girl no doubt) and I enjoyed it more then I thought I would, also watched bits of Mint. And as for manga if ION counts as a magical girl(still feel unsure on that one) Pixie Pop, Gaba Kawa(also unsure on Gaba Kawa). It's a shame Himechan Ribbon was never liscensed in English.

I plan to watch at some point Akko-chan and LunLun. Looking forward to Akkochan since I've wanted to watch that for years....but the spanish dub for it is hard to find.

RICEA42991Aug 23, 2022 2:11 PM
Nov 27, 2022 6:37 PM

Sep 2016
RICEA42991 said:
SourcererZ said:

A few years late after you asked this question, but I wanted to have more series completed before I answered you to give a better answer. When you first asked this question I believe only Lala and Creamy Mami were the only non fighting magical girl series I had seen at the time, and I didn't grow up with neither of those. It was Creamy's 30th anniversary.

Since then I've watched Ultra Maniac (yes soaring_wings it is magical girl no doubt) and I enjoyed it more then I thought I would, also watched bits of Mint. And as for manga if ION counts as a magical girl(still feel unsure on that one) Pixie Pop, Gaba Kawa(also unsure on Gaba Kawa). It's a shame Himechan Ribbon was never liscensed in English.

I plan to watch at some point Akko-chan and LunLun. Looking forward to Akkochan since I've wanted to watch that for years....but the spanish dub for it is hard to find.

About Akko-chan I can say that it is really good actually pretty much all of the 1966-1980 Toei Majokko series shows are really good though I would say my favorite of them is Sally and after that Akko. Also about Akko I'd say that the origial series is the best one, the 1988 reboot is about as good as the original but has bit different feel, the 1998 version isnt as good I'd say. The 2014 live action Akko movie is kind of a different beast as its more of a regular office drama that is disguised as Akko so I was bit dissappointed.
Nov 28, 2022 2:16 AM
May 2008
ooReiko said:

About Akko-chan I can say that it is really good actually pretty much all of the 1966-1980 Toei Majokko series shows are really good though I would say my favorite of them is Sally and after that Akko. Also about Akko I'd say that the origial series is the best one, the 1988 reboot is about as good as the original but has bit different feel, the 1998 version isnt as good I'd say. The 2014 live action Akko movie is kind of a different beast as its more of a regular office drama that is disguised as Akko so I was bit dissappointed.

I've got to agree with you on the live action. I remember being excited when it was first announced back in 2012 (Im kind of suprise it was at that year since it seemed like it happened a bit later in my head...maybe the translation caused this feeling) but when I finally watched it I was also disappointed...it felt little like Akko-chan from the bits I've seen so far of the anime....the live action was all about some little girl wanting to be a woman and crushing on some grown man.......while the original series never gave off that strange feel from the plot descriptions alone.

Thanks for the tips as well. I guess it's cool to watch all 3 versions then for different experiences. No doubt I'll start with the first when I do. If the Spanish dub were easier to find for this one, I'd start watching this one starting this very weekend but it's not found anywhere so far so for now I guess I'll finish up Saint Tail...or watch past the episode 3 of Buurin (attempted to watch that one during this club's early days and never finished)

Nov 28, 2022 4:35 AM

Sep 2016
RICEA42991 said:

I've got to agree with you on the live action. I remember being excited when it was first announced back in 2012 (Im kind of suprise it was at that year since it seemed like it happened a bit later in my head...maybe the translation caused this feeling) but when I finally watched it I was also disappointed...it felt little like Akko-chan from the bits I've seen so far of the anime....the live action was all about some little girl wanting to be a woman and crushing on some grown man.......while the original series never gave off that strange feel from the plot descriptions alone.

Actually the movie came out in 2012 I mixed up the year I think it was that year also Akko chan original manga 50th anniversary.

Also yeah the akko series wasn't anything like the movie which I think was kinda weird it's like they didn't even want to make movie about Akko and wanted to make regular office drama and then just made it about Akko at the last second.

RICEA42991Nov 29, 2022 12:12 AM
Nov 29, 2022 12:17 AM
May 2008
ooReiko said:
RICEA42991 said:

Actually the movie came out in 2012 I mixed up the year I think it was that year also Akko chan original manga 50th anniversary.

Also yeah the akko series wasn't anything like the movie which I think was kinda weird it's like they didn't even want to make movie about Akko and wanted to make regular office drama and then just made it about Akko at the last second.

I forgot about it being released on the 50th anniversary...kind of makes it even more disappointing since for such a big event they should've done a better job at it. Because of this to this day I still haven't watched Kiki's live action...and I think I've made a good choice by not doing so.

And yes I agree with you, it was focused more on women being taken more seriously in office jobs as leaders and the Akko bit was changed into making Akko a girl who just wanted to be a woman and date a grown man???? Odd and definitely not like sweet Akko at all.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» What is your favourite Magical Girl Anime?

soaring_wings - Oct 7, 2008

32 by Dreamingone »»
Mar 29, 10:15 PM

» I admit, I actually find Sailor Moon to be "girlier" than Tokyo Mew Mew and that's not a bad thing

removed-user - Feb 5

7 by ooReiko »»
Mar 1, 2:19 PM

» What mahou-shoujo anime are you watching

pinkrupee - Mar 22, 2013

25 by ooReiko »»
Feb 9, 2023 2:31 PM

Sticky: » Club Announcements/Updates/News

RICEA42991 - Sep 20, 2022

0 by RICEA42991 »»
Sep 20, 2022 12:33 PM

» Which Magical girl series doesn't fit in the genre ( 1 2 )

RICEA42991 - Mar 19, 2011

54 by RICEA42991 »»
Aug 15, 2022 9:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.