Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Nov 13, 2009 6:33 PM

Apr 2009
wakka9ca said:
thalandor46 said:
I dont think I've ever seen someone look so adorable as they were violently thrown to the ground XD

I had the same reaction XD

i know! only Sawako can pull off such!

aww! I falling for Shouta more and more XDDD
Nov 13, 2009 7:33 PM

Aug 2008
enixela said:
wakka9ca said:
thalandor46 said:
I dont think I've ever seen someone look so adorable as they were violently thrown to the ground XD

I had the same reaction XD

i know! only Sawako can pull off such!

Watched it over and over! AHHHHHHHH adorable falling!

Friends at last, all is good in the world.

Nov 13, 2009 9:52 PM

Dec 2007
Great episode. Sawako's beautiful smile and group hug are so wonderful. I admit to say that blonde girl is cute to me. Since I read up to volume two (VIZ), I don't know what happens in next epiosde. However, it would be more interesting for me. I guess I will read scanlation if I can't wait longer for volume three.
gameoffreak8Nov 13, 2009 10:02 PM
Nov 13, 2009 10:15 PM

Apr 2009
I actually almost teared up during this episode. It was just so... ;_; Their friendship is great.

Kazehaya is a cute blusher. :3 He has a cute pouting face. XD He was acting adorably in this episode. Oh my gosh, nothing made me laugh harder though when Pin came storming down the hall and tackled his way through the crowd to see if a fight was going on. XD That guy is amazing. he never ceases to make me laugh.

Despite how much I dislike Kurumi, she actually kind of cute in the anime. -.-; Of course, no one beats Sawako and her chibi form, though. ;D
Nov 14, 2009 12:49 AM
Jul 2009
Was kinda hoping for Sawako to slap or punch that girl after she asked her to eat her words. But that was hoping for too much since she's too nice.

Who's the mystery the girl at the end...
Nov 14, 2009 1:09 AM

Feb 2009
Geez, this episode was soooooooooo damn touching, I wanted to shed manly tears for more than half of the episode's length. Every episode moves me, I love it.

Sawako is love.
Nov 14, 2009 2:50 AM

Jun 2009
This episode was good, very good. Just like the rest of the show so far, I guess.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 14, 2009 3:46 AM

Oct 2008
noteDhero said:
Yeah, I don't think Sawako is morose. There isn't anything in her character that makes me think so.

noteDhero said:
And that's my problem. There just isn't a dark side to her character (that we know of yet). That's all a false perception, and that it gets used for redundant comedy is a shame, because I feel like it's a total distraction to the story proper.

I guess we are just gonna have to agree to disagree this time. I do think you make some really good points about "false perception" and that the dark aspects that people perceive are not actually Sawako's conscious personality, however it doesn't change that she's still acting like a manic depressive. Maybe it's a little to early to say that she has a Dissociative Disorder but her inability to communicate with others, and her status as an outsider plus her appearance to others as being morose cannot just be dismissed as nonexistent because that's not what we are being told by her narrative which could represent her conscious thinking mind. If we went deeper into her subconscious mind, that's where we would find the deep scars of rejection that are manifesting themselves as her dark and gloomy outward personality, but hey this is way to deep.
Nov 14, 2009 4:09 AM
Jul 2008
I've been crying for three episodes now T^T
Nov 14, 2009 4:57 AM

Apr 2009
Oh my God, it's so mushy. I need to watch Gintama NAO. I guess I'm a sucker for shounen after all xD
Still, Ido enjoy this series. Ryuu (and his voice, too) may be a very important factor, ehehe.

I love the OP song.
Penguin-chan said:
But I thought for sure the blonde girl at the end was the one that started the rumors..huge suprise to find it wasn't her at all. D:

Yeah, me too O:

Poor Kazehaya, he's so in love XD Ahaha.
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Nov 14, 2009 5:27 AM

Aug 2009
This episode was kinda overdone with tear jerking but I guess it was okay.
Nov 14, 2009 7:29 AM

Aug 2008
Orion1 said:

If I remember correctly, wasn't that Sawako trying to give a reassuring smile? This is the thing about perception that I'm talking about. Because the show does these "dark" moments from the perspective of ignorant and simple-minded students, it comes off as though that is reality. I think the fact that Kazehaya just doesn't see her that way at all is proof.

I guess we are just gonna have to agree to disagree this time. I do think you make some really good points about "false perception" and that the dark aspects that people perceive are not actually Sawako's conscious personality, however it doesn't change that she's still acting like a manic depressive. Maybe it's a little to early to say that she has a Dissociative Disorder but her inability to communicate with others, and her status as an outsider plus her appearance to others as being morose cannot just be dismissed as nonexistent because that's not what we are being told by her narrative which could represent her conscious thinking mind. If we went deeper into her subconscious mind, that's where we would find the deep scars of rejection that are manifesting themselves as her dark and gloomy outward personality, but hey this is way to deep.

I personally don't mind talking about a good character in anime when it happens, because they're just so few and far between. As of now, I don't even think she has a subconscious dark side because we just haven't seen it manifest. What we've seen as people misinterpret her because of the way she looks, because she lacks basic socialization, and because she tries too hard in weird ways. That's all exacerbated by the fact that people spread ridiculous rumors about her and she doesn't do anything about it besides try to be some version of that rumor to be friends. I also don't think she's a manic depressive. Sawako is a pretty happy and carefree girl, who once obtaining friends and a crush for the first time, is being overwhelmed by feelings she always wanted. She's not crying at the drop of a hat for no reason. There is a logical build from one emotion to the next. You also gave the definition of morose, and it lists the antonym as cheerful. Cheerful sounds much more like Sawako to me. If you look at Sawako's interactions with people she actually has conversations with (not random girl or guy gossiping about her, then being startled by her presence), you'll see that she is not gloomy, ill-humored, moody, sour, sulky, or surly. It's the same with the idea of her having a dissociative disorder. She is quite cognizant of why she is viewed the way she is, and has admitted that she has played her part in reassuring those thoughts. I don't think there's an instance of her escaping reality in an unhealthy way at all. Now...if we find out some information which has specifically stunted her in that fashion, comparable to Kyoko from Skip Beat or Nodame from Nodame Cantabile, then I'll totally agree with you. As of right now though, she doesn't exhibit anything that would lead me to believe something like that.

Kazehaya on the other hand...
Nov 14, 2009 7:50 AM

Nov 2007
Glad they cleared up the whole rumor mishap.

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
Nov 14, 2009 1:07 PM

Apr 2009
Kazehaya blush more! more!
Im glad it got cleared up, but i want more of Sawako x Kazehaya..
Nov 14, 2009 5:04 PM

Oct 2008
noteDhero said:
What we've seen as people misinterpret her because of the way she looks, because she lacks basic socialization, and because she tries too hard in weird ways.

I agree with this statement and point out that the way she looks is in no way a deformity. She looks morose and depressed because "she lacks basic socialization" skills and then acts out by "trying too hard in weird ways". These weird ways you speak of are "gloomy, ill-humored, moody, sour, sulky, or surly." I like her weird ways. Denying that they are an aspect of her character isn't going to change the fact that she's got some serious antisocial behavioral issues that she's attempting to work through in this show, which manifest themselves as an "outward" morose personality. There have been a few cases already in which Sawako has flashed back to events in her childhood where she was ostracized, one event in particular where it all began. That was a defining moment and the beginning of her suffering which has in turn manifested into the lack of self esteem and her manic depressive personality. The girl's got problems and I'm sure in the next episodes we are all in for plenty more self doubt and her regression towards her depressed personality that lacks confidence.
Nov 14, 2009 5:24 PM

Aug 2008
Hmm. I don't know how to be clearer in my point of view. To me, gloomy, ill-humored, moody, sour, sulky, and surly are how people who haven't spoken a word to her would describe her. People who do talk to her on a daily basis like her parents, Yoshida, Yano, and Kazehaya wouldn't see that, and thus, I don't think it should really be taken into account if we're talking about her character. The weird ways she tries to make friends is by trying to take ownership of her perception and use it as an ice-breaker. She doesn't know much of anything about ghost stories, yet she goes out of her way to learn them "to be of some use." That's weird. It's not antisocial at all because she is constantly making attempts at being social. The thing is that she continuously allows these rumors to persist because they've always been there.

I'd like to see the kind of first-impression she gives off to someone ignorant to her rumors. We've seen that Kazehaya basically fell in love with her, but I think a girl's impression would speak more.
Nov 14, 2009 8:29 PM

Oct 2008
noteDhero said:
Hmm. I don't know how to be clearer in my point of view. To me, gloomy, ill-humored, moody, sour, sulky, and surly are how people who haven't spoken a word to her would describe her.

I agree. But would point out that you just admitted that people do see her as being morose. Even if she isn't that way consciously, there is still a part of her that is giving off a dark image that people view.

I'd like to see the kind of first-impression she gives off to someone ignorant to her rumors. We've seen that Kazehaya basically fell in love with her, but I think a girl's impression would speak more.

Kazehaya has some serious skeletons himself, and it could be that he feels dark and depressed inside or it's something that he dealt with in his past and managed to defeat himself. I think Kazehaya see's a reflection of himself in Sawaka and that is why he was instantly attracted to her. The new blond girl that was introduced seems to understand a few things about suffering herself, it might be interesting to see how they work her into the script. This show is still one of the better series this fall excluding episode six. I hope the next episode will be able to deliver more of the edginess that the prior episodes where able to do.

Production wise, I have no complaints at all, I'm taken back by masterful combination of watercolor artwork and elaborate 3d backgrounds which have been blended together very coherently. Sawako's voice is starting to get a little annoying though especially when she is just so depressed. I hope this series doesn't fall victim to being overly self hating like La Corda d'Oro PP did in the middle. That was just hard to continue watching, I had to fast forward through five or six episodes to keep from killing myself. I'm trying to figure out how this formula is still evoking an emotion response from so many people. It worked on me up until this episode. I hope episode seven is a lot better.
Orion1Nov 14, 2009 8:32 PM
Nov 15, 2009 1:15 AM

Jan 2009
Again, another great episode.
I'm glad now all of the rumors were cleared (Even there were new rumors of Sawako being Zashiki Warashi lol).

It seems that every time Sawako smiles, an angel comes down from heaven
Nov 15, 2009 3:01 AM

Jan 2009
I'm so freaking happy that the rumors arc was finally resolved with nobody getting hurt. ^_^ I cried a little bit after the bathroom scene too.

And is it just me or does Sawako's smile just keep on getting more and more beautiful?
Nov 15, 2009 8:35 AM

Aug 2008
Orion1 said:

I agree. But would point out that you just admitted that people do see her as being morose. Even if she isn't that way consciously, there is still a part of her that is giving off a dark image that people view.

Yes people who are blinded by rumors see her as morose. Those people don't count because the second Kazehaya tells them to think another way, those thoughts dissipate. Those people aren't useful in looking at the way Sawako actually comes off. I think to anyone that is ignorant of those stories, she'd look like a bit of a lonely girl that tries too hard to get people to like her. That isn't antisocial, and it's not morose.

Kazehaya has some serious skeletons himself, and it could be that he feels dark and depressed inside or it's something that he dealt with in his past and managed to defeat himself. I think Kazehaya see's a reflection of himself in Sawaka and that is why he was instantly attracted to her. The new blond girl that was introduced seems to understand a few things about suffering herself, it might be interesting to see how they work her into the script. This show is still one of the better series this fall excluding episode six. I hope the next episode will be able to deliver more of the edginess that the prior episodes where able to do.

He has mentioned under his breath about how he isn't at all like how Sawako sees him, but since we have no way of knowing Kazehaya outside of the persona he projects at school, it's hard to say. I'm going to guess that he had a friend move away or something because they were being teased and he felt like he didn't do enough...and now isn't fond of most of groups in social settings like school.
Nov 15, 2009 12:25 PM

Aug 2007
Nice moving episode. I teared up during their whole reunion bit. I think the pacing and spanning of this arc was pretty good. It didn't drag on, in my opinion. Sawako's inner thoughts in the last episode sort of did though, but this time it was more of her talking and getting her feelings across. I'm very impressed with her characterization so far.

The only thing that bugs me is that everyone else in their class still sees her as this freaky girl when there's been enough evidence shown that they could start reforming their opinion of her. If they'd give Sawako a chance, I think she could be quite popular, and not in an obnoxious way.
Nov 15, 2009 1:46 PM

Apr 2009
"Innocent" looking blond girl. Hmm.
Nov 15, 2009 2:02 PM

Jan 2009
GO SAWAKO <333 try ur best

Nov 15, 2009 4:10 PM

Jun 2008
MMM THAT BLONDE GIRL, IS BACK FOR VENGEANCE

Anyway that such a heart warming episode. I really like the music and animation, again. Things are still enjoyable and I love that Sawako is happy. <3
Nov 15, 2009 4:20 PM

Feb 2009
When I saw Sawaka putting her hand on her I thought she was going to throw her lol. She's way to nice to be violent, she really takes everything at heart isn't she.
Nov 16, 2009 2:20 AM

May 2008
I'm glad Sadako was able to voice her feelings and stand up for herself as well as her friends. Group hug, group hug! I loved when Pin was so enthusiastic about a fight and wanted the 3 of them to beat each other up. Kazehaya's expressions are great too.
Nov 16, 2009 8:21 AM

Feb 2008
noteDhero said:
... I still just don't get why her having long black hair and bangs makes her so abnormal...even with the half-assed explanation at the beginning of the episode. Sawako is just a normal girl who is slightly eccentric, and wants so badly to live a normal life that she would even conform to other's notions about her. She's not morose at all....

Sawako's hair, pallor and stance reminds students of Sadako Yamamura from the J-horror "classics" "Ringu (Ring) 1,2 & 0" and Rasen (Spiral) movies you can see her image here:
http://japanana.com/images/2009/horror-sadako2.jpg
or, better yet, you can see her in action here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQm3BV6s0r8

But more important, the "black haired ghost girl" has always been a popular character in many Asian cultures now to the point where it's been done to death not only in Ringu and Rasen but perhaps even more famously in Ju-On (The Grudge). Since these movies came out when Sawako was starting school, and she looked "different", sorta like a now infamous black haired ghost girl, she was probably cursed early and the rumors just kept growing exponentially.
Nov 16, 2009 8:27 AM

Aug 2008
I get that....I know that it is specifically because of those reasons (as I said in a previous episode discussion)....maybe it's my total ignorance on Japanese school kids, but my thing is that she can't possibly be the only one with that hair cut. As for stance and pallor, I still think it's a gross exaggeration since outside of the scenes specifically going for that angle, I don't see it in her at all.
Nov 16, 2009 9:05 AM

Jun 2009
Aw, that's just epic!
Completely in love with Kazehaya and Kuronuma <3
And Kurumizawa is great too. She reminds me of Tsubasa from KareKano. And that girl, who nearly kicked Kuronuma... Like Maho
I think everyone noticed that Kimi ni Todoki and KareKano are quite similar.
Nov 16, 2009 9:16 AM

Jul 2009
chinaboat said:

But more important, the "black haired ghost girl" has always been a popular character in many Asian cultures now to the point where it's been done to death not only in Ringu and Rasen but perhaps even more famously in Ju-On (The Grudge). Since these movies came out when Sawako was starting school, and she looked "different", sorta like a now infamous black haired ghost girl, she was probably cursed early and the rumors just kept growing exponentially.
Yeah..black long hair female ghost is very very famous in Asia..almost every country has an urban legend about it, and i don't know if i met a girl like Sawako in both appearance and attitude before she met Kazehaya, i probably will be a little on guard before knowing her better..why? i've been polluted by that kind of story since i was a toddler
Nov 16, 2009 9:23 AM

Jun 2008
Aw... What can I say.... After watching this episode, I feel so warm inside :) Good job, Sawako ;)

And Kazehaya was sooo cute :D I love his reaction at Sawako's smile <3

~♥It’s the heart that really matters in the end♥~

Nov 16, 2009 4:07 PM

Oct 2007
kazehaya's jealous reaction was.... awesome...
soooooo cute

i actually feel bad for ryuu that he didnt get to console yoshida. totally didnt remember that from the manga. but it makes the scene where (manga people only)
Nov 16, 2009 4:38 PM

Sep 2009
I´m totally in love with this anime....
Nov 17, 2009 5:30 AM

Sep 2008
nice ep =)

everything's well ends well n misunderstanding were cleared up!

Chizu, Yano n Sawako hugged n declared their friendship (or confessed their love -__- hehe)

lol @ Pin running to the girls' toilet hoping to c some fighting then telling the 3 of them to fight hehe ^ ^

Yuuka got what she deserved!

Kazehaya being jealous was wonderful 2 c ^ ^ (n how he was satisfied just with that final smile for the time being)

Chizu n Yano asked Sawako how she felt about them again(after hearing how she felt in the girls' toilet) then they suddenly called her by her name "Sawako!" instead of "Sadako"!!

5/5 ep!

Zashiki-Warashi! Zashiki-Warashi!!

Looking forward to next ep~

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Nov 17, 2009 9:49 AM

Nov 2008
It was a cute episode again, I love the story how Sawako became Sadako bit by bit due to funny rumors XD
And that was a cute moment with the group hug. And Pin was funny in a stupid way again, he's awesome :D
Nov 18, 2009 8:59 AM

Mar 2009
Sawako was really brave in this episode glad everything got cleared up in the end.

Nov 19, 2009 3:41 PM

Aug 2008
This was a great episode. I should've known better than to expect any violence. I guess we finally find out who the head b*tch is afterall.

DKJ
Nov 19, 2009 4:09 PM

Aug 2008
Can't wait for next episode!

Nov 19, 2009 6:41 PM

Sep 2009
Fumiko said:
Can't wait for next episode!

Same. This chapter gave such a nice feeling of friendship ^^
Nov 19, 2009 9:04 PM

Oct 2009
Sadoko Warashi? Sadoko Warashi!
Nov 20, 2009 8:40 PM

Dec 2008
glad things r happy again lolz XDD
this series is so sweet~ i luv it X3
poor Kazehaya at the end tho~ *hugs him* lolz
Nov 22, 2009 4:36 PM

Jan 2008
Ryu's a cool character, I need more of him!
Nov 23, 2009 7:02 PM

Oct 2008
I hope they keep their happy times like this but she makes a relation with Kazehaya then he has to transfer to another school or country... I love when that happens lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_49H_N43jQ

#MakeAnimeGreatAgain

SAY NO MORE LOLI! BRING MORE GENRES EVERY SEASON THAN JUST LOLI
Nov 23, 2009 9:53 PM

May 2007
Crisis averted, that was close, tons of small funny moments, and Kazehaya realizing his lack of Sawako in the future was hilarious.
My anime list
Nov 27, 2009 3:11 PM

Aug 2009
Oman oman oman oman, I fucking love this show. Even though sometimes it's really girly and such, like when they were inside the bathroom, I still enjoyed it, LOL.

So, the rumors are now solved. Sawako and others are back together. NIIICEEEEEEE, but Kazehaya isn't getting any spotlight at all. I hope they focus on him and Sawako on the next episodes.

Also, HARUHI on the last scene! I wonder what's her role going to be. I hope she's not an enemy.
Nov 28, 2009 10:10 AM
May 2008
Yay!!! Happy endings all around, and another contender steps up for the position of Kazehaya's love interest...

Also, how can anyone dislike Yoshida? So much win in one character!!!
Dead Account
Please Delete
Nov 29, 2009 11:06 AM

Aug 2008
yayyyy~~ < 333
i''m so glad! *------*
i love this episode, i have no words to describe it < 3

{i cried}
Dec 13, 2009 11:05 AM

Aug 2009
Loveeeed it n__n
Imo this episode was the best so far..
my love for this anime got even bigger 8D
Dec 24, 2009 10:55 PM

Jan 2009
Fantastic ep...though I really wanted Sadako to kick that one girls ass...but this is shoujo...and I expected too much.

Dec 25, 2009 4:39 PM
Feb 2009
Chibi Kazehaya is the CUTEST!!
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimi ni Todoke Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Jan 12, 2010

190 by Vyse_Sohma »»
Apr 19, 8:26 PM

Poll: » Kimi ni Todoke Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

francismeunier - Mar 30, 2010

369 by havish4real »»
Mar 23, 7:13 AM

Poll: » Kimi ni Todoke Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Mar 23, 2010

161 by havish4real »»
Mar 23, 7:13 AM

Poll: » Kimi ni Todoke Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

francismeunier - Mar 2, 2010

161 by BurningSapphires »»
Mar 6, 5:54 PM

Poll: » Kimi ni Todoke Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Jakeki - Mar 9, 2010

169 by LuxuriousHeart »»
Mar 1, 6:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.