Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Which audio did/do you prefer?

Nov 11, 2014 12:33 AM

Theres quite a few discussions on this but no poll.
So I'm wondering which audio people preferred with THIS series.
Pretty simple question really. Just what you like best when it comes to DBZ (only the DBZ series). No need to start arguments about it - just vote and see what happens.
It would be best if the voters are only people who have watched at least a dozen or so episodes in BOTH jap and eng audio (or whatever other languages there is for this series).
I know of alot of people who only ever watch english dubbed anime because they simply refuse to have to 'read' a tv show. This is not a poll for those people.
Cheers
Modified by Grunkalunka, Nov 11, 2014 12:40 AM

Nov 11, 2014 12:35 AM

Goku's japanese voice actor (actress to be precise) just makes my ears bleed whenever I hear her.

Grown male adult characters with a female voices is just beyond stupid.

Nov 11, 2014 12:38 AM

Whichever one you saw when you were 9 on TV

/thread

Nov 11, 2014 12:42 AM

amateur said:
Goku's japanese voice actor (actress to be precise) just makes my ears bleed whenever I hear her.

Grown male adult characters with a female voices is just beyond stupid.

I agree!

Dubbed all the way for DB / Z + GT
I cant take the Japanese voice actors serious in this anime.

Nov 11, 2014 12:43 AM

Dubbed all the way because that's what I watched as a kid.
when ur about to have a refreshing sip of earl grey tea and someone says "traps are gay"

Nov 11, 2014 12:49 AM

dubbed and always dubbed, its just the best for this godlike anime story.

Nov 11, 2014 12:55 AM

The only anime series you should ever watch dubbed is this.

Nov 11, 2014 12:56 AM

English because gohan sounds like a freaking girl in sub haha.

Nov 11, 2014 1:04 AM

Dub all the way. Goku and most of the other characters sound better.

Nov 11, 2014 1:08 AM

Spanish (Latin American version). The English Funimation dub , the English Ocean dub and the Japanese version all have problems. If I had to choose between English dub and Japanese I would choose English dub simply because Goku is voiced by men in both English dubs while he is voiced by a female (Masako Nozawa) in the Japanese version. Masako Nozawa is a good voice actress but her voice becomes way too high pitched and screeches when Goku is charging up. The Japanese version is somewhat overhated though, Goku's , Krillin's and Piccolo's voices are the only ones I'm not fond of but most of the other voices sound good especially Frieza's ,Cell's and Vegeta's voices. Funimation's English Kai dub to me is the best dub to experience because the voices really fit the characters and it gets rid of all the corny lines that originated in the original Funimation English dub thus sticking closer to the Japanese script.

Nov 11, 2014 1:20 AM

Even subbed elitists should be able to agree that this HAS to be watched in dubbed.

Nov 11, 2014 1:31 AM

PrOxAnto said:

Even Ryo Horikawa (Vegeta's Japanese voice actor) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpfOkFYGyLo and Ryūsei Nakao (Frieza's voice actor) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaRxWSYogIg ?

Nov 11, 2014 2:55 AM

I gotta say I'm surprised by the early results (and peoples comments) already. I thought it would be alot more even, or that the Japanese would be preferred.
I agree the Japanese voice for Goku is pretty bloody terrible (and a few others) but for the most part I thought the Japanese voices (especially the villains) sounded more genuine/serious and more natural than the English voiced characters - which I found to be very cringe worthy. Most of them seem so forced and awkward with some really strange/out of place/lame dialogue at times.

Nov 11, 2014 6:46 AM

Subbed

Red_Keys said:

/thread
That's how it is for most people here. It's always those ones that have to be watched dubbed.

Nov 11, 2014 7:01 AM

If only Nozawa Masako did a low-pitch version of adult Goku.. He would have sounded so much cooler. Also characters like Gohan should have had had a different Seiyuu.

The Funimation dub was not bad, however after watching the sub I found that the Funi dub was lacking in emotion compared to the original.

Nov 11, 2014 7:57 AM

There's a lot of different versions to choose from, but my personal favorite is the Funimation Remastered version. This is the go-to choice if you choose to watch it in English. The Japanese voice cast does have a couple stand-out performances, but overall it's not as well-rounded or as memorable as the English cast. Most all the Saiyans (save for Vegeta) sound terrible in Japanese.

Nov 11, 2014 9:41 AM

DrGeroCreation said:
PrOxAnto said:

Even Ryo Horikawa (Vegeta's Japanese voice actor) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpfOkFYGyLo and Ryūsei Nakao (Frieza's voice actor) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaRxWSYogIg ?

Ok I gotta admit, these 2 VA are alright.
But still, if I cant stand the main char. VA at all (Goku) , I'm sure to get annoyed watching it.
Also nostalgia reasons as I watched it on TV at a young age (like many) English dubbed.

But yeah, a high pitched voice for Goku alone already is enough for me not to watch the Japanese dub.

Nov 11, 2014 12:04 PM

IntroverTurtle said:
Subbed

Red_Keys said:

/thread
That's how it is for most people here. It's always those ones that have to be watched dubbed.

That's not true. I watched a good 100-150 episodes of Naruto dubbed like 5-6 years ago when i was just getting into anime and then switched to sub because it was superior. DBZ's jap voices are just terrible though I tried watching the movies in sub but couldn't do it too high pitched for big muscular men just felt off

Nov 11, 2014 12:14 PM

Qans said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Subbed

That's not true. I watched a good 100-150 episodes of Naruto dubbed like 5-6 years ago when i was just getting into anime and then switched to sub because it was superior. DBZ's jap voices are just terrible though I tried watching the movies in sub but couldn't do it too high pitched for big muscular men just felt off
You were 9, five or six years ago? We're talking about kids who watched a show dubbed on tv when they were young. You don't sound like you fit what we were talking about.

And are you aware that one example does not disprove a general statement?

And I bet just watching the movies was the best move.

Nov 11, 2014 12:22 PM

Not 9 but still kinda youngish and just getting into the anime medium with Naruto and Bleach. And I don't really see what the difference in voice acting would be with the movies and show..

Nov 11, 2014 12:22 PM

DrGeroCreation said:
Spanish (Latin American version).

Ah, this was the one I used for marathoning the whole series from start to finish back in 2009. Good times.

"Legal translators and subbers for anime/manga are like the Shichibukai, basically pirates hired by companies to keep other pirates in check."-SuperRed

Nov 11, 2014 12:30 PM

You're still not getting my point. Just fuhgeddaboudit.

Nov 11, 2014 12:33 PM

Amusing shit

Nov 14, 2014 9:26 PM

PrOxAnto said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Ok I gotta admit, these 2 VA are alright.
But still, if I cant stand the main char. VA at all (Goku) , I'm sure to get annoyed watching it.
Also nostalgia reasons as I watched it on TV at a young age (like many) English dubbed.

But yeah, a high pitched voice for Goku alone already is enough for me not to watch the Japanese dub.
Okay I see your point, it is possible to dislike a dub only because of one or a few voices you don't like. I myself at first hated and couldn't stand Goku's Japanese voice but after a while I got used to it and it only bothers me now when he is charging up. The Funimation English dub of Z though has a similar problem to the Japanese version considering Frieza's voice is really annoying and a pretty bad fit for him as a character. Though you only have to contend with his voice for 2 sagas (Namek saga and Frieza saga) while with the Japanese version of DBZ you have to hear Goku's Japanese voice (Masako Nozawa) from beginning to end.

BahamutPriest said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Spanish (Latin American version).

Ah, this was the one I used for marathoning the whole series from start to finish back in 2009. Good times.
Good times indeed. It was my first dub of DBZ and I loved how it kept the Kikuchi soundtrack and just translated the Japanese openings and endings instead of completely removing them like what Funimation's Z dub did.
Modified by DrGeroCreation, Nov 14, 2014 9:29 PM

Nov 14, 2014 9:29 PM

English since a grown man Goku doesn't have the voice of a prepubescent girl in that one.

Nov 14, 2014 9:38 PM

I've always loved the Spanish dub of the series. I grew up listening Goku talking in Spanish, so I'm so used to it that the original Japanese voices just doesn't work.

Nov 14, 2014 9:40 PM

ReaperCreeper said:
English since a grown man Goku doesn't have the voice of a prepubescent girl in that one.

^

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

anime recs: nodame cantabile | shinsekai yori | chihayafuru | space brothers

Dec 31, 2014 2:00 AM

I watched DBZ dubbed as a kid. And I'm gonna be the black sheep and say Japanese because I honestly don't see the problem.

The first time I heard Goku's Japanese voice, I was turned off too. But, after watching Dragon Ball and then Z in Japanese you really DO get used to it. Watching DB and seeing Goku grow also helps because you can actually hear how deeper his voice gets.

Most of the hate seems to be "I heard it this way first, so I hate the fact it doesn't sound similar (aka manly)!". Understandable, at first, but pretty silly with the over-exaggerations. I can admit that it takes more than a clip or a fight scene to get used to, but that can be said the same with most dub vs sub arguments.

Plus, I totally think Masako Nozawa does a better job overall capturing Goku's character. The goofiness comes off better when she does it compared to the English dub where it tends to come off as stupid or not as funny more often than not. It's during every non-serious scene where you can hear the issues with Goku's English voice for his character.

Masako Nozawa also has some range and it's not hard to appreciate when you hear how high-pitched, screechy Goten's (or worse Gotenks) voice is in comparison. For almost every character, their voices in the Japanese fit quite fine.

And besides, the Japanese dub has Wakamoto in it. Everyone else's argument against is immediately invalid.
Modified by Sakarii, Dec 31, 2014 2:40 AM

Jan 10, 2015 7:03 PM
I ALWAYS watch anime with english subs but DBZ just has to be watched in dub (german dub in my case)

the japanese voice of goku makes my ears hurt and is complete garbage

Jan 10, 2015 7:05 PM
otaking
Muisc ally the song are better in the Japanese version cuas thye were n fact writeen for the show and yes there is englsih veerions of them for other asain nation eng dibs fo the show soung by Mr DBZ him self
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong

Mar 13, 2016 1:48 AM