Forum Settings
Forums

Hide non-Japanese voice actors from show page (set optionally in profile?)

New
Does this idea look useful to you?
Nov 9, 2014 2:29 AM
May 2009
Hi guys. Maybe it has been asked already but I thought it might be useful to give the users possibility to hide non-Japanese voice actors from characters detail (by option in their profile). Look at this, for example:

English? Italian? German? Brazilian? Like really? Who are all those people? Why do I have to see their faces especially if I watch anime only subbed (like probably most people here)?

Plus the character short list looks twice as high if it contains non-Japanese voice actors. I would really prefer to see 8 characters with only Japanese seiyuu instead of 4 with randomly chosen Italian/French/Brazilian whatever voice actors.
Nov 9, 2014 2:38 AM

Nov 2007
I agree. Seiyuu should shown as the default, with dubbed voice actors should be hidden with some sort of toggle. Since the majority of users here watch with subs, then dubbed voice actors matter little to them.

Seems to be catering to the minority, but lately MAL seems to be doing that anyway (see changing the default start broadcast date to whichever pre-air date back in 2009, when it caters to a obvious minority, and thus contributed to a lot of confusion as to what was the actual initial TV broadcast date).

I would like to see some sort of compromise, as they did compromise in 2013 by adding the preair details in bold in Anime DB entries to reduce confusion in airing dates for the problem I mentioned above before. Adding a sort of toggle seems to be a good way to do it... shouldn't be too difficult as OP/ED details had a toggle added before if there were more than 5 listed (see Idolm@ster as an example).
EjcNov 9, 2014 2:41 AM
The News Club: Quality News/Discussion (anime, CDs, manga, novels, games, seiyuu), & sales data (daily, weekly, mid-year, yearly).
Jan 25, 2015 7:19 AM
May 2009
No one's gonna do this obviously so I made up this GreaseMonkey script. It hides all non-Japanese voice actors away from my eyes. Works fine for me.

TaosuJan 25, 2015 9:13 AM
Jan 25, 2015 8:41 AM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
Taosu said:
No one's gonna do this obviously so I made up this GreaseMonkey script. It hides all non-Japanese voice actors away from my eyes. Works fine for me.

Instead of completely removing, how about a button that says .. 'See more!' and then shows you the rest if you click on it?

Jan 25, 2015 9:04 AM
May 2009
quercifolia said:
Instead of completely removing, how about a button that says .. 'See more!' and then shows you the rest if you click on it?

Ok, I'll make it just for you. <3
Jan 25, 2015 9:18 AM

Jul 2014
Hey, other non Japanese voice actors also deserve to be recognized.

Maybe there can be separate lists? And have Japanese voice actors as the default list you see?

Removing non Japanese voice actors would not be good for a site like MAL that provides info on anime.
Jan 25, 2015 9:23 AM

Nov 2010
emxutaxmine said:
Hey, other non Japanese voice actors also deserve to be recognized.

Maybe there can be separate lists? And have Japanese voice actors as the default list you see?

Removing non Japanese voice actors would not be good for a site like MAL that provides info on anime.
He's not talking about removing them, he's talking about an option(for people who don't watch dubs to use) that hides non Japanese VAs.
Apr 18, 2015 10:35 AM

Oct 2008
Taosu said:

Ok, sorry for the stupid question but... where I have to put these codes?
I'm not familiar with html code, so I have no idea how it works >_<

Thanks so much! ^^
"AI WA QUARTETNIGHT!"
Apr 20, 2015 7:43 AM

Oct 2009
Lady_Nera said:
Ok, sorry for the stupid question but... where I have to put these codes?
I'm not familiar with html code, so I have no idea how it works >_<

Thanks so much! ^^

Here, I formed it into a userscript: MAL Hide non-Japanese voice actors (see this page if you don't know how to install userscripts: http://greasyfork.org/help/installing-user-scripts)

Taosu said:
I thought it might be useful to give the users possibility to hide non-Japanese voice actors from characters detail (by option in their profile).

quercifolia said:

Both done

Taosu said:
I would really prefer to see 8 characters with only Japanese seiyuu instead of 4 with randomly chosen Italian/French/Brazilian whatever voice actors.

Check this one for now: MyAnimeList (MAL) Only Jap VAs & Preload Characters and Staff
SerhiykoApr 20, 2015 7:47 AM
May 21, 2015 7:35 PM

Feb 2010
Nice to see this change. However now it has a bug: when charater is voiced by 2 japanese VAs it adds "..." (like if there were more).
For example here http://myanimelist.net/anime/1575/Code_Geass:_Hangyaku_no_Lelouch

More topics from this board

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - 12 hours ago

3 by traed »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Apr 20, 2:02 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM

» Reply button should show text that will be quoted.

Euthymia_Gerv - Apr 15

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 18, 10:22 AM

» @ sign spam/attack

kuroneko99 - Apr 16

3 by Jhiday »»
Apr 17, 11:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.