Forum Settings
Forums
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (64) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

Poll: Which do you prefer?

Oct 22, 2007 7:34 PM

I watch subs and raw but I chose raw 'cause I watch raw anime more than subbed anime. But because my Japanese is still at a pretty low level, I only watch the subs if the anime uses pretty big words e.g. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni/Kai (sorta) or Zombie-Loan. :/

But I think subs are way better than dubs because Japanese seiyuus sound way better than American voice actors/actresses. (: But in certain situations, dubs are pretty good too.

Subs still ftw. And so does raw.

Oct 22, 2007 9:33 PM

Ayria said:
KonaKona4 said:
Kakkun said:
And Studio Ghibli is a great example of nice dubbing n_n.

=D
Give me a GUN! We cannot allow dub to win in any form!! >=D

Or what? Admitting that there are good dubs will "tarnish" your "anime elitist" ideals?

Baka

If I remember correctly, Shinichiro Watanabe said that he thought the Cowboy Bebop dub surpassed the Japanese language version...

Talent is not limited by nationality.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!

Oct 23, 2007 2:41 AM

Ayria said:

Or what? Admitting that there are good dubs will "tarnish" your "anime elitist" ideals?

Baka
Sonotori da~ =D

IMO, even if the dub is "good", it still can't beat the original Japanese version since it's original. Voices are picked to suit the character dakara~

It's like getting a chuck of meat, then slicing parts out of it and adding fake processed meat to it.

If I had the choice: I'd pick the real meat....meat..meat =3 yum!

Oh missed this one =_=, "Talent is not limited by nationality." Maybe, but who has more voice actors to choose from? Japan does.

Oct 23, 2007 2:52 AM

I agree with the above posters that talent is not limited by nationality, and that there isn't anything that necessitates that the sub be of higher quality than the dub. Obviously if you prefer to view things in their original form subs (or raws, obviously) are the preferred method. This doesn't actually have anything to do with quality, though (necessarily).

However, Japanese companies have a much wider range of people to cast when considering roles for anime, which causes subs in general to be of a higher quality than dubs. This downside is exacerbated by general difficulties of adapting a narrative from one language to another, particularly when timing is a critical issue.

Generally, I think the original VAs do a better job, although there have been several instances where this was not the case, or where the difference was mind-numbingly minuscule . However, because I prefer to view something in a form as close to its original form as I can manage to understand, I prefer to watch subs.
"A geek is a person, male or female, with an abiding, obsessive, self-effacing, even self-destroying love for something besides status."
--D.B. Weiss, Lucky Wander Boy
My anime review blog.

Many thanks to Alwerien for the claim banner.

Oct 23, 2007 6:02 AM

KonaKona4 said:

Oh missed this one =_=, "Talent is not limited by nationality." Maybe, but who has more voice actors to choose from? Japan does.

More =/= quality

I don't mean that Japanese VAs have no talent, they obviously do, but just because there aren't as many English VAs doesn't mean they're not up to par.

Oct 23, 2007 3:02 PM

MUST BE SUBBED!

Original is always the best!

Dub are quite bad T_T and it very very rare to find any anime series that is dub and good!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Oct 23, 2007 5:34 PM

KonaKona4 said:
Ayria said:

Baka
Sonotori da~ =D

IMO, even if the dub is "good", it still can't beat the original Japanese version since it's original. Voices are picked to suit the character dakara~

heres a big question on that. the "Shin Cutie Honey" dub had all voices picked out by the original manga-ka. The Japanese version did not. which one is the true voices now?

Oct 23, 2007 6:31 PM

Subs, oooooooor depending on how the dub is I will watch both if possible!!

Oct 23, 2007 7:26 PM
Subs of course, the only exception would be when its a comedy... then in some cases the dub just adds to the humor. I've been watching subs for so long, i can understand half of what there saying without bothering to read.

Oct 24, 2007 2:29 PM

I have to say subbed all the way. Although you can't deny one or two good dubs. I'm sure there is only one or two ^^

Oct 24, 2007 2:43 PM

Subs almost always... I loved the Dragon Ball series dubbed (portuguese) tough.

Oct 24, 2007 4:51 PM

subbed, no question at all.
If i knew japanese i would probably watch raw's :P

Oct 25, 2007 4:31 AM

magentaanbu said:
subbed, no question at all.
If i knew japanese i would probably watch raw's :P

:) me 2

Oct 25, 2007 5:15 AM

Subbed! I only watch subbed anime cause english dub is no good and the original is usually better!

Oct 25, 2007 5:35 AM
i like dubbed alot better but when i have to subbed isn't that much different

Oct 26, 2007 8:14 AM

subs FTW!! dubs just suck, the voices are terrible (not always) and the kanji isn't translated which sometimes just f*cks up everything, i just get the feeling they didn't even try.

Oct 26, 2007 8:34 AM

Subs FTW. The majority of dubs blow. Especially Dutch dubs *shivers*.
Those are just scary.

Oct 26, 2007 8:41 AM

Subs!!!! for the win :D
I've tried some dubs, but after all I would go back to watch subs :P
raws.. I wish I knew Japanese Dx

Oct 27, 2007 6:53 AM

Subs, original Japanese voice actors pwn English voice actors.

Oct 27, 2007 7:20 AM

Mellie said:
Subs, original Japanese voice actors pwn English voice actors.

Even in hebrew they dub better then english...
but japanese voice actors r the best!

Oct 27, 2007 8:29 AM

Definitely subs.
Dubs makes wanna drop the series and throw out the TV/PC.
Sorry but that's how it is, English voices and anime just don't fit together.

Oct 27, 2007 12:41 PM

@ ryuu tenshi. no, the english languge just doesnt fit with anime. But for some reason , i tihnk spanish does. I've watched a few anime in spanish (because i was in spain) and it really didnt sound so bad.

Oct 27, 2007 10:28 PM

RAWS > Subs > Dubs

Classic yet still common argument

Subs > Dubs?

YES

Subs >>>>>>>> Dubs

Dubs and everything to do with it must die

Oct 27, 2007 10:45 PM

Oh come on. Just because you don't like dubs doesn't make them evil. I don't like dubs at all, but to a large degree that's because of the terrible quality of most of them. The basic idea is not bad, and for some people it genuinely is the only way they can watch anime. If all dubs were of a generally much better standard they'd be far more acceptable. I'd still watch subs because I like to hear the characters as they are intended to be heard, but it'd make it less of a horrible experience watching a dub. If they managed to find some voice actors who could act with their voices, and who fitted their characters more, it might even (whisper it) be an enjoyable experience.

Oct 29, 2007 12:59 AM

*sigh* This topic again...

Only subs. I'm not a "Japanese fanboy", I watch everything subbed, no matter what the language because I don't think a dub can replace the original voice acting. In my country everything I've watched on TV was subbed (they started dubbing all cartoons in recent years though) so I'm used to reading subs.

Oct 29, 2007 1:12 AM

Subs. The voices are just... better, okay. I think the seiyuu take their jobs more seriously than their Western voice-acting counterparts.

I've heard good dubs (The Suzumiya Haruhi dub's a fine example, as is the Fullmetal Alchemist dub), but for pretty much everything I've watched, original voices > dub voices.

(Also, examples of bad dubbing? Shaman King, One Piece. 4kids aldkjfkd die 4kids die.)

That's not just in English dubs, the original Japanese voices sound better than the Filipino dubs too.

Oct 29, 2007 9:01 AM

i'll have to say subs for the most part. i got into anime when it first started airing on the US tv networks, and when i think of how the begining series were, (shudder) well you get the point. any more dubs aren't horrible, but they can sometimes butcher a character and or cast that i liked such as azumanga diaoh. they did an ok job, but calling chiyo chan with honorific is just strange when its comeing from a completely english cast. but others like ghost in the shell stand allone complex and cowboy bebop were done remarkable well. i like those dubs over subs, and yes i've seen both

Feb 13, 2008 4:34 PM

I will say sub for now because I can't fully understand raw yet.

Feb 13, 2008 4:36 PM

Subbed all the way....I cannot stand the voice overs for some dubbed animes. They sound so dull and don't put as much enthusiasm in their voices.

Feb 14, 2008 2:56 PM

I prefer subs, but there are a few series where I've enjoyed the dub version (such as FLCL)

Feb 14, 2008 2:58 PM

you know wut? they should make the english dubbers try to speak in japanese.

thatd b interesting.

(front of the list) sub > raw > ... > dub (end of the list)

Feb 14, 2008 3:24 PM

I prefer subs because dubs will make an anime awful!!
I have two sides. Choose wisely.

Feb 14, 2008 3:34 PM

a4e said:
I prefer subs because dubs will make an anime awful!!

is correct.
and i cant see his signature very well

Feb 14, 2008 4:21 PM

i prefer subbed but watch dubbed more anyway... : /

Feb 15, 2008 1:30 PM

SUBBED FTW!!!

Feb 15, 2008 1:34 PM

I prefer subbed anime by far.
Dubs usually kill anime for me, mostly because the actors don't put as much emotion and effort as the JPN ones.

Feb 18, 2008 10:36 PM

subs > dubs imo...

Feb 18, 2008 11:03 PM

voted subbed

Feb 18, 2008 11:07 PM

Clearly subbed.

Feb 18, 2008 11:08 PM

WHY WOULD YOU REVIVE THIS

I'll say the same thing I always do. I prefer dubs because anything is more enjoyable in one's native language. Most of you don't even speak japanese and are just assuming that the japanese voice actors are better because it's a lot harder to tell when people are messing up in another language. English dubs these days are good more often that they're bad, and anyone who says there are no good english dubs are just being close-minded elitists are don't deserve to have opinions.

And if that wasn't insulting enough, I could alternatively just say you're all really stupid. kalo and a4e especially. Those posts of yours were nothing but ignorant flamebait.

Also known as Monster in a box, but I hate that handle...and it doesn't fit here.

Feb 18, 2008 11:35 PM

So people that don't agree with you are
Devdan said:
close-minded elitists that don't deserve to have opinions.
?

irony much?

Feb 18, 2008 11:46 PM

Subbed. Maybe a few episodes of dubbed just for the sake of seeing how well it's done, but I probably won't complete a series that's dubbed. Or at least I don't think I ever have yet.

Feb 18, 2008 11:47 PM

Neko-Lazor said:
So people that don't agree with you are
Devdan said:
close-minded elitists that don't deserve to have opinions.
?

irony much?

Neko-Lazor wins the internet...again...

Feb 24, 2008 4:47 PM

I've tried look at anime dubbed but I couldn't stand it for more than 2 minutes.

Feb 24, 2008 11:40 PM

I usually watch both. I find it pretty stupid when people claim the Japanese VAs are obviously superior when they don't even understand the language. If you don't know the language, then you are not going to know which has the good actors and which doesn't.

Feb 24, 2008 11:55 PM

strawberry-kun said:
I usually watch both. I find it pretty stupid when people claim the Japanese VAs are obviously superior when they don't even understand the language. If you don't know the language, then you are not going to know which has the good actors and which doesn't.

You don't need to know the language to enjoy it >.< VA's use scripts, they don't make up what they're saying, it's their voice that determines the quality of a voice actor.. strangely enough.

Feb 25, 2008 12:00 AM

subs :D

[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/_Haru&sclick=1]

Feb 25, 2008 6:18 AM

Subs because nothing beats the original...
Sink... into Darkness!

Feb 25, 2008 9:04 AM

ChaoticHoshi said:
Subs because nothing beats the original...

I'm agree!
RAW it's fine too, but sometimes I don't understand.
But when I uderstand all the episode, I'm really happy.
(It happened yesterday)

Feb 25, 2008 12:46 PM

Neko-Lazor said:
strawberry-kun said:

You don't need to know the language to enjoy it >.< VA's use scripts, they don't make up what they're saying, it's their voice that determines the quality of a voice actor.. strangely enough.

I never said you need to know the language to enjoy it. After all, I watch both subbed and dubbed. I just don't understand how people who don't understand both languages can say which version has better acting.
Modified by SuiDream88, Feb 25, 2008 1:55 PM

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (64) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »