Forum Settings
Forums
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (64) « First ... « 49 50 [51] 52 53 » ... Last »
 
Poll: Which do you prefer?


Oct 9, 2010 6:52 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 2216
Rezefty said:
I always watch anime subbed - I feel more emotion both from the Japanese voice actors and the Japanese language. I've never preferred the dubbed version.. they just don't fit at all in 90% of the cases and so far I've not seen a single anime I'd even consider watching with English dub. Overall I would prefer to listen to Japanese instead of English, I just think it's a better language to listen to - it's much more beautiful if you ask me, if that makes any sense.

I really should learn the language someday.

Honestly though people - just respect what others prefer - watch however you like it, who cares what language others listen to while watching anime? That's all I have to say about it. No need to be elitist about it :)

Your first and last paragraphs don't seem to agree with each other.
 
Oct 9, 2010 6:53 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 1005
sub.. specifically with top notch translate.. when it comes to dub.. somethings the translation can't completely be explained thoroughly
 
Oct 9, 2010 6:56 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 51
subs with the subs the way i like it, like not changing sensei to mr. or ms. keeping onee-chan and stuff like that, and with nice little tips at the top
 
 
Oct 9, 2010 7:46 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 400
Redfoxoffire said:
Your first and last paragraphs don't seem to agree with each other.

Seems valid to me. First part is only what he believes after all, not what other people should believe. Second part is his objective neutrality, which can coexist with his belief.

marijuanita said:
subs with the subs the way i like it, like not changing sensei to mr. or ms. keeping onee-chan and stuff like that, and with nice little tips at the top

In other words, transliterations over actual translations.
 
Oct 9, 2010 8:00 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 2216
ARXLaevatein said:
Redfoxoffire said:
Your first and last paragraphs don't seem to agree with each other.

Seems valid to me. First part is only what he believes after all, not what other people should believe. Second part is his objective neutrality, which can coexist with his belief.

Meh, maybe. It just felt like he was saying "Dubs are never good, but respect what others like," which doesn't sound very respectful to dubs to me.
 
Oct 9, 2010 8:13 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 400
Redfoxoffire said:
Meh, maybe. It just felt like he was saying "Dubs are never good, but respect what others like," which doesn't sound very respectful to dubs to me.


Could be that actually. It just rubbed me off as a "I like subs more than dubs, but everyone is entitled to their opinion, so don't let other people tell you what to like/not like!" sort of thing.
 
Oct 9, 2010 8:49 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 5970
I just feel I have to say this: Thank you fansubbers! I love you all!
 
 
Oct 9, 2010 10:34 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 318
What dubs are you people watching that make you cringe? I like them both equally. Although I watched Gungrave and the English dub was so atrocious it ruined the episode for me and forced me to watch it in Japanese

There's great dubs out there, Death Note, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon. Monica Rial is one of my favorites.
 
Oct 9, 2010 10:46 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 5970
Arcade_fire87 said:
What dubs are you people watching that make you cringe? I like them both equally. Although I watched Gungrave and the English dub was so atrocious it ruined the episode for me and forced me to watch it in Japanese

There's great dubs out there, Death Note, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon. Monica Rial is one of my favorites.

I have no problems with dubs. I just prefer subs.
 
Oct 9, 2010 11:15 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 5601
Arcade_fire87 said:
There's great dubs out there, Death Note, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon. Monica Rial is one of my favorites.


I hear this a lot. Why do so many people think Death Note is such a good dub? Light's voice was terrible, and he's the main character.

Bebop is good either way, Black Lagoon has a good dub but I still think original is better (the dub misses out on the awesome Engrish).
 
 
Oct 9, 2010 11:32 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1346
Asako said:
I hear this a lot. Why do so many people think Death Note is such a good dub? Light's voice was terrible, and he's the main character.
Sorry, but I wouldn't have anyone, anyone other than Brad Swaile voice "I'll take a potato chip - and eat it!" It's just one of those things that's so horrible, it works just fine.
 
Oct 10, 2010 12:18 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 2216
Asako said:
Arcade_fire87 said:
There's great dubs out there, Death Note, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon. Monica Rial is one of my favorites.


I hear this a lot. Why do so many people think Death Note is such a good dub? Light's voice was terrible, and he's the main character.

You must just be one of very few who think that. I actually saw the dub after watching subbed and even then thought Brad Swaile was better.
 
Oct 10, 2010 2:02 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 262
I love sub because they voice acting is superior in most casses, some of the meaning is lost in translation but i still find the voices make up for that small flaw. If i could understand japanese better i would watch raw.
 
Oct 10, 2010 2:11 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 13
I've always watched anime with subs, I prefer it that way. The only anime I have watched in English is Pokemon and I don't know if that really counts anyways.
 
Oct 10, 2010 2:36 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 569
i watch it ALL SUBBED~~ im sorry to those people who like dubs but dubs sucks ASS.. i dont know how people can stand watching something that sounds so awkward????

i tried watching Ouran High School Host Club, Soul Eater, Fruits Basket dubbed and omg i got grossed out that i decided that im NEVER gonna watch ANYTHING dubbed EVER again...-_- this also means that i'll NEVER watch it dubbed in ANY OTHER language other than japanese cuz i tried the dub versions of the languages that i know how to speak of and it just killed the anime....:P

but subbing in different languages are nice XD haha gives you more of a variety of videos to choose from (meaning if youre watching a LQ video w/ english subs, then you can watch a HQ video with french subs..just an example haha ^^)
 
Oct 10, 2010 2:37 AM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 1762
Well hell, this thread just won't die, will it? It it really that big of a deal whether you listen to a language you know, or if you read a language you know with a foreign dub? These are damned mouth-flap cartoons that have nothing change whether you have an English, Japanese, Spanish, Esperanto, etc, dub.
 
 
Oct 10, 2010 2:54 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 2216
aiwanani said:
i watch it ALL SUBBED~~ im sorry to those people who like dubs but dubs sucks ASS.. i dont know how people can stand watching something that sounds so awkward????

Congratulations, you are twelve years old.

nerb said:
Well hell, this thread just won't die, will it? It it really that big of a deal whether you listen to a language you know, or if you read a language you know with a foreign dub? These are damned mouth-flap cartoons that have nothing change whether you have an English, Japanese, Spanish, Esperanto, etc, dub.

Sub vs dub debates are serious business.

But yeah, I was kinda hoping this thread would stay dead myself. I'm all for fightin' the good fight, but it gets boring when you see the same ignorance and flawed arguments over and over and over again. And over again.
 
Oct 10, 2010 3:00 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 5601
This thread can never die, because people ask the question regularly and when they do it will be merged with this thread. Until it reaches 10,000 posts and is locked.

Then it simply gets resurrected with a v2.

Still, for the simple question, more people should use the poll instead of bumping it with pointless posts.
 
Oct 10, 2010 3:14 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 5601
lightcircus said:
only to get paid almost nothing in exchange for their "services."


Nonsense. The hobos Funimation pulls out of the alley behind their studio are paid in perfectly good rum.
 
Oct 10, 2010 4:30 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 182
Redfoxoffire said:
I think you're being a bit hard on dubs; it doesn't have to be superior to still be good. it just sounds like you're saying "If it's not phenomenal, it's shit."

Of course there are a few amazing dub jobs out there. There are also some terrible ones (namely ones involving a cast of moe-cute girls etc). In my experience it's usually this black and white. I can't think of many "ok" dubs.

But if it's not "superior" then why are you watching it in that format? =/

TokyoCandlelight said:
Whatever a person's preference, it's probably best they don't let ignorance or laziness become the reason they're watching dub only.
supersonic124 said:
The same could be said about watching sub only.

How so? Considering a person who only watches subbed anime has access to all anime in dubbed, but one who watches only dubbed are missing out masterpieces.

Redfoxoffire said:
You must just be one of very few who think that. I actually saw the dub after watching subbed and even then thought Brad Swaile was better.

I lean more towards sub than dub, Death Note is my favourite anime of all time, and even I'll admit the dub was better than perfect. Light in original audio was one of the weakest links in my opinion.

Redfoxoffire said:
Sub vs dub debates are serious business.

LMAO!!!! Ehem... May I use this quote as my forum sig? =)
Modified by Setzuen, Oct 10, 2010 4:55 AM
 
Oct 10, 2010 5:16 AM
Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 52
Redfoxoffire said:
ARXLaevatein said:
Redfoxoffire said:
Your first and last paragraphs don't seem to agree with each other.

Seems valid to me. First part is only what he believes after all, not what other people should believe. Second part is his objective neutrality, which can coexist with his belief.

Meh, maybe. It just felt like he was saying "Dubs are never good, but respect what others like," which doesn't sound very respectful to dubs to me.


Umm.. I really meant it just like ARXLaevatein said it. I'm tired of constantly writing "In my opinion.." simply because it gets annoying fast and everyone should know it's my opinion since I wrote it and because I constantly said that it's how I feel about the issue ("I feel that .. Overall I would prefer") and so on.

I think subs are better, but that doesn't mean that it's a fact that dubs are worse - it's simply my opinion about them. My personal opinion - not a fact. People should just watch and listen to whatever language they prefer - it's as simple as that. Please do not misunderstand :)
 
Oct 10, 2010 5:45 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 33198
The only one who so far convinced me that her opinion is not at least partly based on weeaboness or prejudices is someone who is actually english/japanese bilingual and therefore able to judge voice acting in both languages. If you can't speak Japanese you can't judge the voice acting, or only small parts like talking speed.
Unluckily that person clearly prefered the japanese voice actors and I didn't plan on referring to her in this thread, but out of fairness I do ^^
So dub-haters go learn japanese and then we can continue arguing :P

That said, I didn't miss this thread, shame on whoever revived this *gg*
The modding has ruined the forums and continues to do so.
Bye.
 
Oct 10, 2010 6:03 AM
Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 52
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
The only one who so far convinced me that her opinion is not at least partly based on weeaboness or prejudices is someone who is actually english/japanese bilingual and therefore able to judge voice acting in both languages. If you can't speak Japanese you can't judge the voice acting, or only small parts like talking speed.
Unluckily that person clearly prefered the japanese voice actors and I didn't plan on referring to her in this thread, but out of fairness I do ^^
So dub-haters go learn japanese and then we can continue arguing :P

That said, I didn't miss this thread, shame on whoever revived this *gg*


I understand what you're saying, and agree with you a lot. Especially the last sentence, because this thread is a never ending debate and there's no right or wrong.. there's better things to talk about.

I do want to point out though that just because you don't know the actual language itself doesn't mean you can at least partially judge the language and the voice actors. Emotions, for example, doesn't care what language you use - and in my opinion Japanese voice actors are much better in that aspect. I will admit that I've not watched and listened to a lot of dubs though, but from what I've listened to I stand by my opinion.

This will be my last post about this issue here.. I've talked enough about how I feel about dubs vs subs.
 
Oct 10, 2010 10:40 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 2216
lightcircus said:
ahahahah talking about flawed arguments and here you are defending a bunch of no-talent douchebags that practically got picked up off the street because no one else would do something as absurd as provide the voices for a dub of some shitty japanese cartoon, only to get paid almost nothing in exchange for their "services."

Congratulations, you are eleven years old.

TokyoCandlelight said:
Redfoxoffire said:
I think you're being a bit hard on dubs; it doesn't have to be superior to still be good. it just sounds like you're saying "If it's not phenomenal, it's shit."

Of course there are a few amazing dub jobs out there. There are also some terrible ones (namely ones involving a cast of moe-cute girls etc). In my experience it's usually this black and white. I can't think of many "ok" dubs.

But if it's not "superior" then why are you watching it in that format? =/

There are terrible ones of course, and maybe instead of "okay" it would be better stated as "good enough." Many of the ones I watch I wouldn't say are AMAZING, but there's nothing wrong with them either.

I watch them because I prefer it that way.

TokyoCandlelight said:
Whatever a person's preference, it's probably best they don't let ignorance or laziness become the reason they're watching dub only.
supersonic124 said:
The same could be said about watching sub only.

How so? Considering a person who only watches subbed anime has access to all anime in dubbed, but one who watches only dubbed are missing out masterpieces.

I believe he's referencing the fact that some anime are widely considered superior in their dubbed format.

Redfoxoffire said:
Sub vs dub debates are serious business.

LMAO!!!! Ehem... May I use this quote as my forum sig? =)

Go ahead.
 
 
Oct 10, 2010 1:01 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 182
Redfoxoffire said:
There are terrible ones of course, and maybe instead of "okay" it would be better stated as "good enough." Many of the ones I watch I wouldn't say are AMAZING, but there's nothing wrong with them either.

I watch them because I prefer it that way.


If you "prefer" them, then clearly they can't be "superior", regardless of what the masses think. I was merely trying to illustrate that there is no "better" or "worse", only preference. People can't go around saying "dubs suck", because chances are they're the sort of old farts that think original is ALWAYS better. That Akira and Ghost in the Shell define anime, that retro defines gaming and Star Wars defines trilogies. These ignorant wastes would never acknowledge that a superior dub could ever surpass the original. 90% of the anime I've watched I haven't even attempted in dub because I got used to sub as soon as I realised only an idiot wouldn't, due to the titles available in sub only. I'm sure if I watched them all in dubbed, I'd find at least 5 more that I prefer to the original audio. The ones I DO prefer like Death Note and School Rumble were watched in dub by sheer chance, but I'm glad I did nonetheless.

TokyoCandlelight said:
Whatever a person's preference, it's probably best they don't let ignorance or laziness become the reason they're watching dub only.
supersonic124 said:
The same could be said about watching sub only.

TokyoCandlelight said:
How so? Considering a person who only watches subbed anime has access to all anime in dubbed, but one who watches only dubbed are missing out masterpieces.

Redfoxoffire said:
I believe he's referencing the fact that some anime are widely considered superior in their dubbed format.


Widely considered superior by who? The small percentage as indicated on here that outlines those that prefer dub to sub? I'm quite sure that being a dub-only enthusiast, he'd be missing out more than me. ^.^' Not that I'm sub-only anyways. Studio Ghibli films are often dubbed amazingly, as are the 10 or so anime I pointed out a few posts ago. I'm merely pointing out that someone who refuses to accept sub - whether you fail to see it as "superior" or not - has a very narrow scope on what they can choose to watch. Even an ignorant sub-only watcher has titles such as Toradora, ef, Clannad AS (ugh) and Angel Beats etc. I'd rather be able to say I've watched these but watched Death Note in subbed, than watch Death Note in dubbed and miss out on Japanese-only titles.
Modified by Setzuen, Oct 10, 2010 1:08 PM
 
 
Oct 10, 2010 3:10 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 2216
TokyoCandlelight said:
If you "prefer" them, then clearly they can't be "superior", regardless of what the masses think. I was merely trying to illustrate that there is no "better" or "worse", only preference.

That's, like, exactly what my argument has always been. I've not been trying to say dubs > subs, just that subbed isn't always going to be the objectively better choice and that dubs as a whole aren't terrible like the ignorant masses tend to think. Sometimes my arguments sound like dub > sub, but it's merely because I need to use certain counters like that for arguments. If I don't point out the pros of dubs I won't get very far.

TokyoCandlelight said:
Widely considered superior by who? The small percentage as indicated on here that outlines those that prefer dub to sub?

I mean specific shows like Cowboy Bebop that even a lot of hardcore sub fans agree are better in English. Theoretically you could be missing out on what many agree to be a "superior" experience.

I'm merely pointing out that someone who refuses to accept sub - whether you fail to see it as "superior" or not - has a very narrow scope on what they can choose to watch. Even an ignorant sub-only watcher has titles such as Toradora, ef, Clannad AS (ugh) and Angel Beats etc. I'd rather be able to say I've watched these but watched Death Note in subbed, than watch Death Note in dubbed and miss out on Japanese-only titles.

I agree with that, too. I don't think anyone, no matter how hardcore, should restrict themselves to only dubbed anime. Some dubs are legitimately terrible or just less-than-good, and some great stuff isn't and may never be dubbed.

lightcircus said:
I bet you do the youtube fandub thing don't you

Lolno.
 
Oct 10, 2010 5:22 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 182
Redfoxoffire said:
That's, like, exactly what my argument has always been. I've not been trying to say dubs > subs, just that subbed isn't always going to be the objectively better choice and that dubs as a whole aren't terrible like the ignorant masses tend to think. Sometimes my arguments sound like dub > sub, but it's merely because I need to use certain counters like that for arguments. If I don't point out the pros of dubs I won't get very far.

Well, please do not feel you have to "counter my argument". As I've said a number of times, I watched dubbed anime long before I even gave sub a chance. I started watching sub merely because what I wanted to see in dub wasn't available. Then when I tried sub, I began to like it more and more. I wasn't pressured into it by a third party peer pressure. I don't believe that watching anime in Japanese makes you more of an anime fan than someone who watches it in English. I still check the dub every so often when selecting an anime, in the hopes that I can find another masterpiece, because I fancy a change now and then. I'm not someone you need to defend against. I'm the last person to stereotype someone for watching dub, but what I can't stand is the ignorance of someone claiming their way is the right way, and trolling anyone who actually knows better.

Redfoxoffire said:
I mean specific shows like Cowboy Bebop that even a lot of hardcore sub fans agree are better in English. Theoretically you could be missing out on what many agree to be a "superior" experience.

Someone who is dead-set on subs would disagree without even giving that dub a chance. There are those that hate the idea that their way of doing things isn't always the best way. That's how it is. That's why this topic will never have a conclusion. Although I didn't think much of Cowboy Bebop (the anime itself, not the sub or dub), I can acknowledge that I personally prefer about 10 anime on my list dubbed rather than subbed. Please bear in mind that I haven't even tried half of them in dubbed before, and there are many anime on my list that don't even have a dub.

lightcircus said:
I bet you do the youtube fandub thing don't you

lightcircus said:
But you would if you got the chance, wouldn't you? It sounds fun, doesn't it?

Not that it's any of my business, but if I'd only watched 17 days of anime, I wouldn't start a battle of wits with someone who clearly knows what they're talking about more than I do. =/
Modified by Setzuen, Oct 10, 2010 5:35 PM
 
Oct 10, 2010 5:31 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 400
TokyoCandlelight said:
Someone who is dead-set on subs would disagree, without even giving said dub a chance. There are those that hate the idea that their way of doing things isn't always the best way. That's how it is. That's why this topic will never have a conclusion. Although I disliked Cowboy Bebop (the anime itself, not the sub or dub), I can acknowledge that I personally prefer about 10 anime on my list dubbed rather than subbed. Please bear in mind that I haven't even tried half of them in dubbed before, and there are many anime on my list that don't even have a dub.


Generally, "lots and lots of praise" can be substituted for "generally agreed upon" in this case. A good way of finding these series out are asking for dub recommendations (here for instance), and filter out the "lol dubs suck" comments.
 
Oct 10, 2010 6:13 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 13
Subbed gets my vote. Dubbed animes don't really have that emotion, since these voice actors can't seem to get their tone isn't appropriate for the moment, or the character, or both.

Also, they can't sync the voices at all. It's either 10 seconds too slow, after the animation stops, or they speak too fast and the animation keeps going forever.
The accents the original Japanese seiyuus used for each character is unique to that character. We lose that in dub, and it just doesn't... feel like the legitimate anime.

Oh, a couple of more things - Dubbed episodes are YEARS behind. It's pointless to be faithful to dubbed episodes. And finally, to the people who complain about not being able to keep up with the subtitles and watch the anime at the same time... It's your problem. Go back to school and learn how to read at a faster pace.
 
Oct 10, 2010 7:13 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 496
Subs all the way. As I said in a previous thread the only time I watch dubs is when I'm busy doing something. But I have been abscent from anime for a few years but since I have begun watching anime again I realised dubs have improved!



 
Oct 10, 2010 7:31 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 265
I watch both pretty much equally. No real prefence for subs or dubs in general. But then there are certain series that are just either so much better in the dub like Baccano! or Speed grapher, or series that should never be dubbed for whatever reasons, like SZS.

And of course there's the nostalgia factor which keeps me from viewing things like Pokemon and Inuyasha in anything but the dub. Which is why I'm holding off on Final Act, the characters just wouldn't feel right to me.

There are both examples of horrible dubs and great dubs, and series that were just awful to begin with. To each their own I suppose.
 
Oct 10, 2010 7:44 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 2216
TokyoCandlelight said:
Well, please do not feel you have to "counter my argument".....

I don't think I am at this point.

Someone who is dead-set on subs would disagree without even giving that dub a chance.

This wasn't my argument in the first place, I was pointing out what I assumed it meant, which I think I've succeeded at. I'm sure that person would disagree, but that really isn't my problem right now.

lightcircus said:
But you would if you got the chance, wouldn't you? It sounds fun, doesn't it?

No and no.

TheiGeek said:
Also, they can't sync the voices at all. It's either 10 seconds too slow, after the animation stops, or they speak too fast and the animation keeps going forever.

What are you watching, badly synced Youtube videos? The only dub I've seen where I had problems with the lip syncing was the first episodes of NGE.

Oh, a couple of more things - Dubbed episodes are YEARS behind. It's pointless to be faithful to dubbed episodes.

That just means sub fans have a wider array to choose from. It doesn't make subbed anime any better.

And finally, to the people who complain about not being able to keep up with the subtitles and watch the anime at the same time... It's your problem. Go back to school and learn how to read at a faster pace.

Congratulations, you are...Hm, how old is this one? Thirteen ought to be good.

Did you know that some people are naturally slow readers, regardless of how much schooling they've had? Did you know that some people are dyslexic? It's not always the viewers fault if they can't keep up with subtitles.
 
Oct 10, 2010 7:56 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 400
You should just classify them as either too old or good enough for you-know-who. Works wonders when I do it.
 
 
Oct 10, 2010 9:14 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 996
Oh god I'm not reading through all that.

I'm sure there are like 15 people I'd call idiots anyway.

WHO REVIVED THIS SHIT?
You can find me on IRC.
 
Oct 10, 2010 9:57 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 5601
Kuyukly said:
Oh god I'm not reading through all that.

I'm sure there are like 15 people I'd call idiots anyway.

WHO REVIVED THIS SHIT?


Then why post?

As I said earlier, this thread will never go away because people will always ask the question.
 
Oct 10, 2010 10:06 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 996
Asako said:
Kuyukly said:
Oh god I'm not reading through all that.

I'm sure there are like 15 people I'd call idiots anyway.

WHO REVIVED THIS SHIT?


Then why post?

As I said earlier, this thread will never go away because people will always ask the question.


Because I have established my position in this thread as the angry dublover and I wanted to make sure no one took my role <3
You can find me on IRC.
 
Oct 10, 2010 10:35 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 477
subs..
most of the times the dubs make it horrible.. but not all the times though..
 
Oct 11, 2010 3:47 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 182
TokyoCandlelight said:
Someone who is dead-set on subs would disagree without even giving that dub a chance.
Redfoxoffire said:
This wasn't my argument in the first place, I was pointing out what I assumed it meant, which I think I've succeeded at. I'm sure that person would disagree, but that really isn't my problem right now.

o.x Simply put, this was to illustrate that I think you're fighting a losing battle. You're part of a minority by preferring dub to sub. A sub troll would know that and see you as bait. People like lightcircus can see that despite their lack of anime experience, in this thread he's on the "winning team" (not that there are really winners or losers, only opinions). Trolls don't think like that though, love. I guess I admire you for sticking with dub and not letting yourself stray becase of peer pressure and whatnot. o.o'

Kuyukly said:
Because I have established my position in this thread as the angry dublover and I wanted to make sure no one took my role <3

I'm pretty sure the 2% of people you represent are glad their leader is back to open some major whup-ass in the form of "slightly displeased words".
 
 
Oct 11, 2010 3:50 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 33198
We don't have a leader, we're all equally angry about this thread :P
The modding has ruined the forums and continues to do so.
Bye.
 
Oct 11, 2010 4:50 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 5601
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
We don't have a leader, we're all equally angry about this thread :P


Oh, no. Kuyuchi is definitely the dubfag leader. He's the emperor of American dubbing. Shame he can't use geass to force people to like them. Or like Bosch instead of Jun.
 
Oct 11, 2010 7:08 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 36
At first, I was a sub only viewer, since that's what everyone told me. But later, I was able to form my own opinion.
No matter how you look at it, anime voice actors, well, voice actors in general, are a lot more available in Japan. So it's not uncommon to see this or that production house literally hunt for this or that actor for a specific character. Anime character voices are cast in a very serious manner.
Same principle, but let's look at the States. The list of available actors that would do voice acting for animated works is, well, much smaller. And a lot of teh so called celebrities are not *used* to doing voice acting, let alone for foreign works.
I'm not trying to put all dubbing in a bad light. There are times when it actually works. I'd say my best personal example would be Princess Mononoke. I enjoyed the dub as well as the sub, very much so. Aaaand then you get things like the One Piece dub which makes one really wish they could un-watch something from their long term memory.
 
Oct 11, 2010 7:29 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 996
TokyoCandlelight said:
Kuyukly said:
Because I have established my position in this thread as the angry dublover and I wanted to make sure no one took my role <3

I'm pretty sure the 2% of people you represent are glad their leader is back to open some major whup-ass in the form of "slightly displeased words".


I said I'm the angry one, smartass. :P



^me in this thread

Edit: actually, that's just about all of us isn't it :3.
Modified by Kuyu, Oct 11, 2010 7:39 AM
You can find me on IRC.
 
Oct 11, 2010 7:38 AM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 4
Honestly, it depends. Most of the time the original voice acting is better and subs work fine for me. Rarely I watch dubs in part because they are known for being particularly good, and also in part because the story doesn't take place in Japan or a Japanese setting. For example, Cowboy Bebop and Black Lagoon.
 
 
Oct 11, 2010 11:15 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 2216
TokyoCandlelight said:
o.x Simply put, this was to illustrate that I think you're fighting a losing battle. You're part of a minority by preferring dub to sub. A sub troll would know that and see you as bait. People like lightcircus can see that despite their lack of anime experience, in this thread he's on the "winning team" (not that there are really winners or losers, only opinions). Trolls don't think like that though, love. I guess I admire you for sticking with dub and not letting yourself stray becase of peer pressure and whatnot. o.o'

Maybe, but I enjoy the thrill of the argument anyway.

I should mention that I have, in the past, had people come to me saying my arguments have changed their view on this subject. If I can make even just a few people a little less stupid, my effort is worth it.
Modified by Florete, Oct 11, 2010 11:19 AM
 
Oct 11, 2010 11:19 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 1776
it depends...if a series I wanna watch has eng dubs, I'll watch the dubs because I'm too lazy to read....if not, subs are just as fine.
 
Oct 11, 2010 11:27 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 182
Redfoxoffire said:
I should mention that I have, in the past, had people come to me saying my arguments have changed their view on this subject. If I can make even just a few people a little less stupid, my effort is worth it.


Well for what it's worth, I started watch Code Geass today. I watched an episode in dubbed before I watched one in subbed; which is something I might not have done if you didn't defend dubs so fiercely lately. I've decided to watch the rest of this series in dubbed. ;)
 
 
Oct 11, 2010 12:03 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 192
Asako said:

Oh, no. Kuyuchi is definitely the dubfag leader. He's the emperor of American dubbing. Shame he can't use geass to force people to like them. Or like Bosch instead of Jun.

Guess that makes you the subfag leader then.
 
Oct 11, 2010 12:05 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 192
Asako said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
We don't have a leader, we're all equally angry about this thread :P


Oh, no. Kuyuchi is definitely the dubfag leader. He's the emperor of American dubbing. Shame he can't use geass to force people to like them. Or like Bosch instead of Jun.

Fuck why do people always have to pretend to be japanese with their usernames? Damn weeaboos
 
Oct 11, 2010 1:22 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 996
supersonic124 said:
Asako said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
We don't have a leader, we're all equally angry about this thread :P


Oh, no. Kuyuchi is definitely the dubfag leader. He's the emperor of American dubbing. Shame he can't use geass to force people to like them. Or like Bosch instead of Jun.

Fuck why do people always have to pretend to be japanese with their usernames? Damn weeaboos


Asakochan isn't a weeaboo, and I definitely wouldn't call her the "subfag leader" either since she actually, unlike the vast majority of the bandwagoning idiots in this thread, buys anime and watches the dubs when available. Her opinion, as it is an informed one, is one such that I can respect.
You can find me on IRC.
 
Oct 11, 2010 5:21 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 2216
Kuyukly said:
I said I'm the angry one, smartass. :P

What does that make me?
 
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (64) « First ... « 49 50 [51] 52 53 » ... Last »