Forum Settings
Forums
New
Which do you prefer?
Only subs - original audio is best.
45.9%
Mostly subbed, some dubbed.
29.7%
Only dubbed - I like it in my native language.
2.3%
Mostly dubbed, some subbed.
8.0%
Both subbed and dubbed equally.
11.5%
Raw.
2.6%
2,442 votes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (63) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Mar 25, 2008 6:21 PM

Feb 2008
Subbed! I like watching Japanese similarities with Polish. :D
Mar 29, 2008 12:29 AM

May 2007
Niechy said:
Subbed! I like watching Japanese similarities with Polish. :D

XD

Mar 29, 2008 4:14 AM
Mar 2008
Well as a guy who gets most of his anime from Adult Swim, I'm going to have to say dubbed.
But at the same time, a bad dubbing company will butcher the CRAP out of a good series with bad voices and edited lines.
But with the right voice-over, some shows sound great. Mugen from Samurai Champloo sounds awesome dubbed in my opinion.
But that's not to say I don't appreciate subs either.
Refuse is our inspiration, terrorism our trade, s a b a t o g e and piracy, chaos our mental state...

...Mesmerizing, festering, intended for the faint of heart, cultish and anthemic, until death us do part...
Mar 29, 2008 4:17 AM

Jan 2008
Bad voice actors with voices that do not go with the mood or anything does NOT appeal to me.
Subbed forever.

我爱你

Mar 29, 2008 8:23 AM

Mar 2008
SUB

Please just keep everything in the original form, not just anime, i would never want to watch other movies not in it's original language, whether it's american or french movies

Including games, like metal gears i like it in english since it's the original, and i'm not touching Super robot taisen if it's english dub ~_~
Mar 29, 2008 9:30 AM

May 2007
Lister said:
and i'm not touching Super robot taisen if it's english dub ~_~

YUCK! that would be hell!

Mar 29, 2008 4:07 PM

Mar 2008
Sub

Always seems like English voice actors suck.
Mar 29, 2008 4:13 PM

Mar 2008
Subbed for now and raw when I know enough japanese
Mar 29, 2008 4:16 PM

Sep 2007
Well only answered this question 100 times... usually subs since usually the Japanese voice actors are better but lately I have been finding that English dubs have been getting better and better in terms of the voice actor choices. So it may change one day but for now still subbed.
Mar 29, 2008 4:16 PM

May 2007
Whichever I watch first unless if one is better in the other language(Air Gear is better in English, Naruto in Japanese), I honestly don't care, Japanese is dubbed too, it isn't like the cartoons are speaking themselves.
My anime list
Mar 29, 2008 4:52 PM

Sep 2007
Mita, dubbing is the act of replacing the original audio track with another languages. Since japanese is the original language, you wouldn't refer to them as being dubbed.

Overall though, subs are pretty much always better than dubs due to the nature of English dubs to completely change things around. When things are left unedited and dubbed, then I don't mind it as much though I still prefer the japanese voices since they are easier on my ears, but when I watch anything that looks like it took a trip through the 4kids censorship machine, it makes me cry a little inside.
Mar 29, 2008 6:22 PM

Jul 2007
Bastille said:
Mita, dubbing is the act of replacing the original audio track with another languages. Since japanese is the original language, you wouldn't refer to them as being dubbed.

Dubbing can refer to either adding the original voices or new ones, but the latter definition is much more common and the one that is used in this sort of topic.

oh, these little earthquakes
Mar 30, 2008 1:43 AM
Mar 2008
Subbed
Mar 30, 2008 1:55 AM

Mar 2008
Subbed is my preference...
Though I have those times when i don't feel like reading and just want to crash to some anime.
Mar 30, 2008 6:11 AM

Dec 2007
Skarith said:
Usually I prefer subbed, because japanese just sounds so much cooler than english most of the time :)
Occasionally I have prefered the dub though, for instance in Dragonball and Beck

`yeahyeah
*randomly hugs*

Loading Recent Anime Updates
Mar 30, 2008 7:09 AM

Dec 2007
I'll take sub over dub any day, although I will admit that there are some dubs out there that are pretty good.
May 6, 2008 10:40 AM

Mar 2008
subbed. i occasionally watch dubs if:
a) i no their good and didnt cut anything else and the voice actors are decent
b) i can find any
c) the anime is one i dont really want to concentrate much on - instead have it in the background
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 6, 2008 11:33 AM

Apr 2008
Both, actually.

When I first got into anime, I was watching dubs on TV. Mostly on Cartoon Network, but I soon branched out to the small anime programming on Tech TV (Before it was changed to G4 Tech TV, and then just G4) and that's when I discovered Adult Swim.

My first anime shows were Speed Racer, and Sailor Moon. Both in dub form. I still absolutely LOVE the dubbed version of Sailor Moon, but I do recognize that the subtitled is much better in quality. I mostly still love the dubbed version because of my childhood memories.

Now a days, since I've spread away from only watching anime on TV, i'll watch subs and dubs. Like with Wolfs Rain. I prefer the dubbed version to the subtitled one, and the same goes for Witch Hunter Robin. But there are certain shows I just can't see in English, like Tokyo Mew Mew. It made me happy to hear that 4Kids lost rights early on to the show.

Anyhow. I've chattered enough. I like both, plain and simple. :3 It just depends on quality and what I'm watching.
May 6, 2008 11:40 AM

Apr 2008
sub: i prefer the original voices

May 6, 2008 12:25 PM

Sep 2007
Depends I prefer sub because I don't like Spanish voices actors x_x I only watch if is a Catalan dub ^^.

May 6, 2008 1:21 PM

Mar 2008
Sub. Japanese voice actors (Seiyuus) are wonderful, dub sucks. And I can understand more when I read something.
May 6, 2008 3:34 PM

May 2008
subbs.. dubbs is shait :p

-------------------
nyhusern.net
May 6, 2008 9:51 PM

Sep 2007
I prefer subbed because it's the characters' original voices and lines there. And reading while watching is a great task to challenge your eyes and mind. Just don't do it too much... or else... ^^
May 6, 2008 10:08 PM
Apr 2008
Hmmm... usually subbed because dubs take too long to come out. I'll only choose a dub because it's just easier to watch because I won't have to read all the text on the bottom, which may make me lose focus.
May 6, 2008 10:09 PM

Oct 2007
Ayria said:
I watch both but I prefer dubs over subs. Overall I find it more enjoyable to watch a series in a language I understand. Not that I'm "too lazy to read subtitles" it's just personal preference. Plus I get excited when anime airs on American television, that across the country many thousands of people are also watching.

I think what most people overlook when it comes to this debate is that both Japanese and English dubs can be good and bad, for example we all know the 4Kids dub of One Piece was an insult to anime everywhere but the FMA dub was excellent. Also I really hate the Japanese version of Azumanga Daioh, but find the Japanese version of Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni to be so perfect no dub can match it.

No one is right or wrong in this argument as it all has to do with preference, and I really wish people would stop bashing dubs to no end. Please take this fact into consideration, I respect your preference to subs so please don't parade about like there are no good dubs or that native-English speakers can't act to save our lives, because we can.

ChiBuki said:
cyruz said:
Hm, don't we have a topic like this already?
I believe this infamous topic will keep popping up all over the Internet. Some of them may end up in a bloodbath. (; >w<)

Anyway, the one thing I can’t stand with dubs is butchery. Some studios like 4Kids and Disney as we all know, they edit out most of the Japanese cultural element (e.g. OP-ED dubbed, OST removed, forced-in jokes). Anime aired on TV aimed at younger audience are heavily edited, and most of them aren’t released uncut on DVD.

Dub fans prefer watching it in their own language and they don’t like to read subtitle. They also support anime by buying the products of R1 distributors, the companies who help spreading anime into the American culture. They also may recognize certain voice actors and all that.

The sub fans don’t want the creators' vision to be compromised by untrained English voice talents. Though, a lot of dubs are very well done (e.g. Spirited Away, Samurai Champloo). After watching sub after sub after sub, they’re used to watching anime in the original Japanese voice, thus automatically think anime is better that way.

Either dub or sub fans won’t understand each other’s perspective. Same old song every time, but sure everyone have their own reasons. Bottom line is, we all are anime fans and we should enjoy it regardless of matter of preference.

Absolutely true and deserves to be put to the last page.

Bastille said:
Overall though, subs are pretty much always better than dubs due to the nature of English dubs to completely change things around.

All right, that's just completely false. Only a portion of the anime that are broadcast are "changed around", and they never edit anime they don't plan to broadcast. It is not the nature of English dubs to change things around; that's the exception, not the rule.
You can find me on IRC.
May 7, 2008 12:01 AM
Jun 2007
Subbed or raw. Dubs piss the hell out of me when they try to pronounce a Japanese name.
May 7, 2008 4:34 AM

Apr 2008
i watch subbed.
can't watch raw or i won't understand a thing.
and dubbed just sounds retarded in my ears.
May 7, 2008 7:45 AM

Mar 2008
I watch them subbed
May 7, 2008 12:13 PM

Jul 2007
I look as hard as I can to get subs.. But I'll watch a dub or two if I absolutely have to.. Dubs never capture the characters right though..

May 7, 2008 12:20 PM

Mar 2008
SUBBED!!!!!
May 14, 2008 6:26 PM

Jan 2008
I used to watch dubbed only, but I found out I could watch new Naruto and Bleach episodes online but in Japanese so I started watching them and realized I prefer the subbed episodes. I think that the Japanese voice actors put a lot more effort and emotion into their characters. I watched subbed episodes of One Piece and then tried watching it dubbed, I thought all my hair would fall out it was so horrible!
_Cassandra_May 15, 2008 10:48 AM
May 14, 2008 7:14 PM

May 2008
it depends sometimes but mostly subbed :/
May 15, 2008 2:17 AM

May 2008
Well-made fandubs? :U
May 15, 2008 2:42 AM

Nov 2007
chinomi said:
Well-made fandubs? :U

With the one exception (because there always is one) of Abridged YGO, that's an oxymoron.
May 15, 2008 2:50 AM

Apr 2007
I gotta take the side of sub since most dub voice overs just end up sounding generic.
May 15, 2008 3:09 AM

Apr 2008
Subbed of course.

The voice acting in dubbed anime is horrible -_-
May 15, 2008 7:18 AM

Apr 2008
Mostly subbed ^^, but there are series or movies that are good dubbed too =D
May 16, 2008 8:22 PM

Apr 2008
Subbed! I like watching stuff on their original language.
Of course I've watched some series dubbed (on TV) but the voices are way uncooler(?) than the original ones.
Here in Latin America a whole generation of otakus have heard Goku's voice actor in a million anime and TV series, it's a torture.
May 16, 2008 10:04 PM
Apr 2008
Subbed

But Inuyasha, Bleach, Trinity Blood, Blood+ ...dubbed are ok!
May 17, 2008 1:28 AM

Apr 2008
subbed ofcourse because dubbed sound really bad in my ears
May 17, 2008 3:33 AM

Apr 2008
Subbed! -_-' I dont like dubs at all
May 17, 2008 3:43 AM

Sep 2007
id rather have both, subs and dub are both good. I will always choose videos with dual audio over single dubs or subs as long as they are not too much of a hassle to download or to buy.
May 17, 2008 4:02 AM

Sep 2007
I watch subs... It's easier to get my hands on... >_>
May 17, 2008 4:19 AM

May 2008
Subs, the translations aren't as butchered as the dubs and with the poor voice actors.
You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
May 17, 2008 5:35 PM

Oct 2007
As long as it's a good dub :D

May 17, 2008 9:30 PM

May 2008
I prefer subs so I don't usually have to deal with characters suddenly developing a different voice as the series goes on, but if it's a good dub that's fine as well.
May 19, 2008 4:21 AM

Feb 2008
Hmm...I've Seen Both And Both Have Their Advantages And Disadvantages.

Watching Subbed,One Will Get the Raw,To-The-Point Translations,But Sometimes Not Clear.The Original Voices Are Funnier.

In Dubbed,Well,The Voices Are Awesome And One Gets Almost-The-Right Translations Which Also Make Sense.However,The Raw-Material,Which Includes Rebukes And Bad-Words,Might Not Be Included.

E.G. In Slam Dunk,Hanamichi's Original laugh Is Hysterical But The Dubbed Version Somehow Makes All Of Them More Mature. =P And I Like Watching My Anime In One Go Rather Than Focus More On Translations Than The Whole Scenario.

But I Prefer Both. =)
May 19, 2008 5:39 AM

Mar 2008
I've watched dubbed anime before and it simply sucked. I've tried 4-5 animes and still it sucked =_=

So... subs all the way ~

I think what makes animes good is its own Japanese language. Because Japanese is a "toned" language which means the most important thing in this language is its tones. English does not have that, at least they're not like Japanese voice actors.

I mean I cant watch "Lucky Star" with dubs.. Its impossible for me @_@;
May 19, 2008 9:53 AM

Apr 2008
I like subs. And eventually I hope to see them raw :D... sore wa watashi no negai desu.... demo........ still FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR away from that. It's always refreshing to learn something new.
May 19, 2008 6:11 PM

Apr 2008
i watch both because i watch some dubs and then i watch anime not aired in America yet through subs.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (63) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Yesterday

27 by Ratris_Decision »»
28 seconds ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

165 by JessicaKari »»
49 seconds ago

» Favorite Spring 2024 OP/ED?

Serafos - Apr 15

20 by LNW_R92CP »»
3 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - 58 minutes ago

11 by TheDarkLordOtaku »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - 3 hours ago

11 by LightWorker »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.