Forum Settings
Forums
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (64) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

Poll: Which do you prefer?

Mar 14, 2008 5:28 PM

*takes off hard hat* Haha, I've browsed a few pages (not the whole topic, as I could be wrong), and surprisingly, it's pretty tame. I'm not saying that it's a bad thing-it's the total opposite! Usually in the fandom it's a pretty hot topic, and while I admit it's a bit hilarious at times, it's exasperating when both sides flame each other in the face, yet both attempts are futile-people really aren't going to instantly change what they think. :/ There's a few debates here and there, but it seemed tactful...but I digress. I just thought it deserved a kudos. Show me if I'm wrong.

I usually prefer the subs. I know I might not be fully authorized to say this since I don't understand Japanese, but I feel the acting quality is generally better, and you have the original product of working with the series' original director, so the series is closer to what we were meant to see. It's also an acquired taste; I used to just watch anime on TV until I was informed that the subtitles were generally better, and I got used to it. And the subtitles in themselves is not a problem anyway, I already watch television with closed captioning; and just because I prefer the subs doesn't mean I don't purchase the DVDs legally.

However, it's not to say that I loathe dubs completely. Sometimes I feel that I have become too used to the subs, or the dub is just inferior in general. I do like seeing different interpretations on a character (such as L from Death Note, his seiyuu and his VA have different takes on him, and I do prefer his dub!voice better)-I just said that the original subs might be closer to the original vision, but I was moreso referring to that I didn't want the series altered or changed, not necessarily interpreted a different way.

Mar 14, 2008 6:06 PM

Subbed

Mar 14, 2008 6:19 PM

Subs all the way. Some dubs are very well done though, but its not the same thing watching anime in English :p.
Raws, no way, I wouldn't understand much :P.

Mar 14, 2008 6:20 PM

subbed for me too ^o^

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you..."

Mar 14, 2008 7:56 PM

Subbed for me too. I would have preferred RAW, but since my knowledge of Japanese is limited to what i have learned from Anime i would only understand a few words :(

Some Dubs is ok, but most of them either ruin everything or the voices doesn't fit the person.

So until i have learned Japanese i will stay with subs.

Mar 15, 2008 2:10 PM

ichikiba said:
Marek92 said:
ichikiba said:
Actually, the Funimation dub of One Piece is pretty good. And Naruto comes out uncut in the DVD box sets.

but one-piece is butchered anyway, doesnt have to do with the dub....
And not everyone buys naruto on dvd... most watch it on tv i guess (or online when there is no naruto on tv, like here in holland)

I'm not sure what you mean about One Piece. I'm guessing you mean the anime messed up the original story of the manga, I don't know. As for Naruto...well, yea, the tv version sucks.

One-Piece had things like guns pointed at people changed into hammers etc. (or so i heard)

Mar 15, 2008 2:31 PM

I prefer subs.

If you compare subs and dubs, sometimes dubs changes the whole line of what's really said. f.e Yu-gi-oh GX.

Mar 15, 2008 2:34 PM

Seiko said:
I prefer subs.

If you compare subs and dubs, sometimes dubs changes the whole line of what's really said. f.e Yu-gi-oh GX.

because they fit better with the mouth movement, another example of why dubs suck

Mar 15, 2008 3:19 PM

Arthur_the_51st said:
Subbed

Mar 15, 2008 4:03 PM

xyfr said:
Arthur_the_51st said:
Subbed

Mar 15, 2008 5:39 PM

Marek92 said:
ichikiba said:
Marek92 said:
ichikiba said:
Actually, the Funimation dub of One Piece is pretty good. And Naruto comes out uncut in the DVD box sets.

but one-piece is butchered anyway, doesnt have to do with the dub....
And not everyone buys naruto on dvd... most watch it on tv i guess (or online when there is no naruto on tv, like here in holland)

I'm not sure what you mean about One Piece. I'm guessing you mean the anime messed up the original story of the manga, I don't know. As for Naruto...well, yea, the tv version sucks.

One-Piece had things like guns pointed at people changed into hammers etc. (or so i heard)

Yea, you said it had nothing to do with the dub. That had EVERYTHING to do with the 4Kids dub.

Marek92 said:
Seiko said:
I prefer subs.

because they fit better with the mouth movement, another example of why dubs suck

Acutally, in the way Seiko was talking about it, it had more to do with 4Kids being a crappy dubbing company. They make hundreds of arbitrary changes.
Modified by ichikiba, Mar 15, 2008 5:48 PM
D&D Club

Because my sig making skills are non-existant.

Mar 15, 2008 7:50 PM

Definitely subs. Voice actors play a huge role in the portrayal of the characters, and English speaking VA's are just not up to par with their Japanese counterparts in effectiveness.
Modified by UndZ, Mar 15, 2008 8:01 PM

Mar 16, 2008 7:17 AM

Subs, always. I like listening to Japanese. When there is no choice, I might try dub. But that happens rarely. I guess it depends on one's preferences. For e.g., I wonder whether Eiga-kun's voice in Bamboo Blade, can be dubbed that easily.

Mar 16, 2008 7:22 AM
I think my ears start to bleed when I watch dubbed anime. English voice actors don't get character emotions right most of the time. Plus, they censor it, and remove some of the cultural jokes, though I'm not too sure on the last part.

Mar 16, 2008 7:34 AM

Firemonkey5 said:
I think my ears start to bleed when I watch dubbed anime. English voice actors don't get character emotions right most of the time. Plus, they censor it, and remove some of the cultural jokes, though I'm not too sure on the last part.

I completely agree.

Mar 16, 2008 8:13 AM

Honestly I wish there was a "both" option
I don't have an "absolute" set of mind
----
My signature sucks right now :C

Mar 16, 2008 8:40 AM

Subs. Feels more genuine.

However, I don't hate dubs, and some anime (like Black Lagoon) I watched dubbed and felt as though it was funnier/better.

Mar 16, 2008 8:47 AM
Now giving this topic some thought, what I said wasn't really true for me. I mean it's my basic rule, but if it's on TV, I'll usually watch dubbed anyways. In the past, when I was younger and didn't know what fansubs were, I did watch dubbed anime with no complaints. For example, I watched all of Pokemon, most of the dragon ball series, and Yu-Gui-Oh (Spelling might be off) all dubbed. I guess it is what it is. In the end though, I prefer subbed, though if it's dubbed, it's dubbed.

Mar 16, 2008 9:07 AM

I guess it depends on what one has access to.

When I was younger, everything I watched was dubbed. Everything. Even the characters' names changed: Akane (Ranma 1/2) became Adeline. Maybe when I was younger, I did not realize how twisted it was to change the names.

But when I discovered subs, it felt refreshing and real. Now, I don't have a TV and watch everything I get online. Even though, I do get dubs, I prefer subs. They sound more genuine. Of course with subs, a lot gets lost in translation but this is inevitable with translation.

Mar 16, 2008 4:00 PM

Firemonkey5 said:

Not true. Anime is only censored when being prepared for broadcast.

The cultural jokes are also left in, especially when the anime isn't being prepared for broadcast.

It seems a lot of complaints outside of "voice actors suck" that dub-haters make only apply to broadcast anime.

English VAs are perfectly fine, generally above average. I believe the reason people think English VAs suck is that everyone is simply too used to Japanese to be able to adapt to English easily. You expect a certain type of voice, hear another, and think it's subpar. I know, I've been there after watching only subs for a while myself due to a lack of money.
You can find me on IRC.

Mar 16, 2008 4:14 PM

Kuyukly said:
Firemonkey5 said:

Not true. Anime is only censored when being prepared for broadcast.

The cultural jokes are also left in, especially when the anime isn't being prepared for broadcast.

It seems a lot of complaints outside of "voice actors suck" that dub-haters make only apply to broadcast anime.

English VAs are perfectly fine, generally above average. I believe the reason people think English VAs suck is that everyone is simply too used to Japanese to be able to adapt to English easily. You expect a certain type of voice, hear another, and think it's subpar. I know, I've been there after watching only subs for a while myself due to a lack of money.

I agree entirely about the VAs. I saw the Bleach dub first, in which Ichigo is voiced by Johny Yong Bosch, who has a fairly light voice. Then I heard his Japanese voice, and it was a hell of a shock. So I can't really blame anyone for preferring the the subs for that reason. But I disagree entirely with the idea that the English VAs are inferior. Many of them are good, several are excellent.

I think part of it might just be that Japanese sounds more pleasant than English to some people, too.
Modified by ichikiba, Mar 16, 2008 7:09 PM
D&D Club

Mar 16, 2008 4:48 PM

I like both really.

Mar 16, 2008 4:57 PM

If I had my choice i'd watch them raw...since my Japanese is horrendous I'll watch them subbed. I have yet to come across a good dub that gets across the voice intonations and actual meaning to the scene outside of the original seiyuu for the anime.

Mar 16, 2008 7:04 PM

subbed....though i have watched some dubbed, i like the flow of japanese convos

Mar 16, 2008 10:11 PM

ichikiba said:
I think part of it might just be that Japanese sounds more pleasant than English to some people, too.

Heh...I suppose. Still.

Hat-N-Clogs, your avatar is so distracting I forgot what I wanted to post initially. >:| lmao
You can find me on IRC.

Mar 16, 2008 11:13 PM

1) Most of the Anime that gets dubbed also get´s the plot altered, and if i have seen it subs it really irritates me.

2) Most of the times the voices really don´t fit the character at all, if i saw a Anime and the voice doesn't fit the character the whole thing is ruined for me.

3) Many of the jokes made by in the original Japanese versions lose it´s meaning when translated and it just sounds stupid. And they just make it worse if they try to change it with another joke.

Those are the most important points for me to chose Subs instead of Dubs. Well, that and that i have only liked 1 Dubbed Anime in my whole life only because the Japanese voice was to girlish for the main male character.

Mar 17, 2008 12:00 AM

Anyien said:
1) Most of the Anime that gets dubbed also get´s the plot altered, and if i have seen it subs it really irritates me.

That's just completely false. Yea, there are a few dubs that do that. A ridiculously small number. I don't know where you're getting the idea that the vast majority of dubs alter the plot of the anime. But your second point is all a matter of opinion, so I can't really argue against it even though I disagree, and your third point is partly true. But, if you're not familiar with Japanese culture, or even if you are, unless you grew up in Japan, the joke will probably sound stupid to you either way.
D&D Club

Mar 17, 2008 12:09 AM

I voted RAW because this argument is pointless!

Mar 17, 2008 3:01 AM

^yea abit pointless but nonetheless i choose subs.

I don't really like dubs because sometimes when u look at the character and u hear the english voice, it doesn't seem to really match that character. Minority of the dubs are good. Just my 2c worth

Mar 17, 2008 12:31 PM

Okay, I guess I should be a bit serious. I used to be completely "sub-only," but the increase of good dubs in today's anime has kinda swayed me. If I buy a series, there's usually a 50/50 chance I'll watch the dub, but if I download a dual audio set, I'll end up watching the Japanese 90% of the time (or switch periodically if I feel like it).

Also, it really depends on the dubbing studio, whether or not it is a budget dub, etc. Pretty much anything from Amusement Park Media (ADV) and Animaze is worth watching, in my opinion.

Mar 17, 2008 12:39 PM

subs mostly, dubs if I feel like gambling.

Mar 18, 2008 7:48 PM

Zomg...Watching a DUB ep is like nails on a chalkboard. Dx

Sub FTW!!! Dub FTL!!! xD

Mar 18, 2008 7:48 PM

3 words.. SUB.PWNS.DUB =P

Mar 19, 2008 8:41 PM

bakaidiot said:
sub for me... dubbed anime sounds horrible...

Not all of them though. Ever seen, FMA, FMP, Black Lagoon, GITS, Yu Yu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin, Outlaw Star, Flame of Recca, Dragon Ball Z, and Cowboy Bebop.

Mar 19, 2008 11:21 PM

Subbed. Quite honestly, out of what I've seen so far, I've only seen one show in dub, and that was Fullmetal Alchemist.

Mar 19, 2008 11:34 PM

I voted subs, but it really does depend. I like the Bleach sub and the dub! Maybe I'm just lame?

Mar 20, 2008 3:40 AM

Subs, cause with them you are able to listen to beautiful japaneese language ^^

Mar 20, 2008 10:39 AM

Subs, but sometimes I like dubbing version

Mar 21, 2008 4:36 AM

I always detested dubs, but I since I watched GitS: SAC dubbed I have another opinion.
The voice actors were excellent!
But I still prefer subs.

Mar 21, 2008 5:24 AM

Normally I perfer dubs, I've seen some great dubs for shows compaired to the japanese versions.

If Dubs are really bad I'll watch subs, after all subs worked for Jared. okay bad joke but still you know what I mean.
I'll Never look back, I've got no regrets
'Cause time don't wait for me
I choose to go my own way

Click here to go to my review channel.

Click here to go to my music channel.

Mar 21, 2008 5:45 AM

Some anime i like sub others dub.

Mar 21, 2008 1:49 PM

I prefer subs because the voices sounds better than dub. (well in some animes). Dubs are okay too but its weird since I'm so used to watching anime with subtitles then watching it with dubs i keep looking at hte bottom for subs:P becomes my habit but sometimes dubs are good too when i could just watch and listen:) I wish i could watch raw but then I don't understand it...it would be so much easier if i could understand japanese well and watch raw:(

Mar 21, 2008 2:13 PM

subbed, japanese is great language, its not like american english where every second word is f*** :)
<font face="Times New Roman" color="#6666FF" size="3"><b><font color="#0000FF">L</font><font color="#3333FF">i</font><font color="#6666FF">v</font><font color="#9999FF">i</font><font color="#CCCCFF">n</font><font color="#EEEEFF">g</font><font color="#FFFFFF">.</font><font color="#EEEEFF">.</font><font color="#CCCCFF">.</font></b>

Mar 24, 2008 7:39 PM

I remember when there were only 3 votes for dubs, and I was one of who voted for it on a whim. Nice going newfags.

Sam is my sweet peach

Mar 24, 2008 8:00 PM

Sub cuz dub make weird voices and raw, well i don't understand everything.

Mar 24, 2008 8:01 PM
There are quite a bit of annoying instances of Japanese...

-the cliche mom voice, you know. Kagami's mom's voice (lucky star)
-too moe/loli/whatever wanna-be. Misa...
-ultimate shounen. That guy from akane maniax...gouda-kun?

Mar 24, 2008 8:29 PM

How about I DON'T CARE. I just want to watch my anime. Plain and simple.

I don't know Japanese, so RAW is out of the question entirely. :)

Mar 25, 2008 7:53 AM

Subbed..

There's something you can only understand only if you listen to Japanese..

~chan/ ~tan/ ~kun/ ~san/ ~sama

Watashi/ Atashi/ Boku/ Ore

Mar 25, 2008 9:09 AM

Usually it will depend on which I watch first, for one, it's a lot easier for me to watch anime on my iPod if I have it in English since I'm not constantly straining to read the text all the time. But if I watch it on the computer, it just depends if I like the Japanese or English voices.
Fruits Basket for instance, I hated Yuki's voice in Japanese, so I always watched it in English.
In .Hack//SIGN, I started watching it in Japanese, and when I watched an English one, I hated the voices, and so I continued watching it in English.
So normally it just depends on rather I watch it first Subbed or Dubbed.

Mar 25, 2008 9:24 AM

Subs, almost always.

Hardly ever do you find a dub that's better than the sub.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (64) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »