Forum Settings
Forums
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (64) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

Poll: Which do you prefer?

Mar 1, 2008 10:47 PM

identifying trolls is fun

Mar 1, 2008 10:52 PM

Honestly, the main thing that bugs me about dubs is the accents. I'm not American, and find many of the accents of American VAs to be very offputting for some of the characters they portray. Not always bad, but one outrageously southern hick accent on the wrong char (work fine for... hicks, but how often do you see them in anime?) can totally ruin the watching experience for me.

Also, Tenchi Muyo OVA dubs are the worst I've ever seen. Tenchi, a 15yo Japanese boy, sounds like Ray Romano. It's totally, totally wrong.

The other stuff, like script changes and toning down swearing/ero stuff etc, I can -generally- forgive, as most dubs are targeted for a younger audience than the originals, not a fan of the practice, but I understand why it's done.

But yeah, the accents are the biggest deal for me. Not many people seem to even think about that, since the majority of fans arguing online tend to be American (or Canadian, which are oblivious to the accents due to their unfortunate proximty to the US) so don't notice.

Osaka's (Azumanga) kansai-ben being turned in to a southern belle is just 100%, totally, unforgivably wrong.

Mar 1, 2008 10:54 PM

LOL @ this thread.

I've invested too much time and effort into learning moonspeak to watch anime in English. About the only exception I'll make is theatrical release anime, and those tend to have the best dubs anyways.

Mar 1, 2008 10:56 PM

I wanted to vote RAWR
=(

Mar 1, 2008 11:02 PM

szoku said:
Dubbed sucks cause the acting is usually bad. I tried to watch Full metal Panic dubbed but when I got to the parts that were funny to me , it ended up being a big disappointment.

Really? I thought that the FMP dub was pretty damn good.

Mar 1, 2008 11:06 PM

Asako said:

Also, Tenchi Muyo OVA dubs are the worst I've ever seen. Tenchi, a 15yo Japanese boy, sounds like Ray Romano. It's totally, totally wrong.

Now, I like Tenchi's dub mainly because I grew up with it (though I'll defend the Pretty Sammy OVA dub to the death), and I can easily accept complaints about it (unless they're complaints with Sasami), but Ray Romano? You think he sounds like Ray Romano? Really? I've heard people say Tenchi's voice was bad, but this is a first.

But the cast in general at least manages to make the funny lines funny. And in the case of Pretty Sammy, that's far more important than anything else. Even if Pixy Misa was kinda ruined. And the official subtitle track for said OVAs is really bland and not funny at all.

Also known as Monster in a box, but I hate that handle...and it doesn't fit here.

Mar 2, 2008 12:20 AM

well usually subbed, but if the dub is good like Full Metal Panic or Cowboy Bebop i'll watch it since I like watching it in my own language and sometimes i get tired of reading the subs
[color=#3399CC]All credit goes to Daika-san.
[/color]

Mar 2, 2008 12:29 AM

Neko-Lazor said:
Sigh, I didn’t think I would have to write this, but people’s complete bashing of subs (not naming any names) and believing on false pretences that subs have nothing going for them and the only reasons people like them is because they sound cool is starting to piss me off. Earlier post by dubs supporters say that say that we can't tell who's a better VA because we can't speak Japanese. Is that right? VA's use SCRIPTS, they DON'T make up what they are saying on the spot. therefore, it is only their voice that determines how good they are I understand basic Japanese and when I watch many dubs I can tell that the people writing the scripts make translating differences as they try to make what they are saying into English, which often gives it a completely different meaning, which is primarily the cause of cultural differences (You can often see this when someone quotes a Japanese saying or plays a Japanese game). Dubs also leave out honorifics which are extremely important in understanding characters relationships. These are just a few examples.

The point I am trying to get across in this argument, is that the VOICE ACTOR and SCRIPTWRITER and two different entities which make up a whole. And when the dubbing process occurs many important subtleties are lost in the process. The reasons I don’t like most English VA’s and scriptwriters are found somewhere in this (sorry this is kind of a rant).

Let me talk about scriptwriters...by personal experience I have found that the large majority of subbers/fansubbers ARE more accurate, in what the scriptwriter is trying to portray. Naturally since the anime is made in Japan, in Japanese, by the company that animated it, if you speak Japanese the scriptwriter is 100% accurate, however, if you sub it, and don’t understand Japanese, the accuracy level drops lower (around 85%?), and if you dub it, the accuracy level falls even lower (75%ish?). As said above, this is primarily the case of cultural differences and perhaps translators that don’t understand the anime (just an opinion). Please not these percentages are not to scale and are just an example.
I’ll tell you some of the things the Scriptwriter is responsible for; Culture, honorifics, overall feel of the anime (very important), pausing in sentences and emotion (shared with VA). This is only a few, can’t think of anything else atm >.< The scriptwriter is responsible for most aspects of the VA’s role.

Now let’s talk about what makes a good VA... Tone, pitch (voice) and emotion. You don’t need to understand Japanese to clearly see this! The selection of these things depends on the scriptwriter as well as something very important everyone seems to be forgetting. TARGET AUDIENCE In Japan, anime is geared towards a slightly older age bracket than in western culture. This influences the quality of the VA, and often leads to them “over-acting” and not having a proper feel of what the character is trying to represent or portray, and often gives the anime a “cheesy feel”. On TV, in western cultures, anime is shown in the mornings, before school, so little kids can watch it, as is different in Japan.  that sentence is entirely speculation.

Wow, this is the biggest rant in history, I can’t believe I typed all this. I’ve left out so many arguments etc, but this is how I feel. I honestly can’t see any pro’s of dubs apart from being too lazy to read, not having a proper grasp of what anime is actually about or being a kid and watching anime before school. EDIT - Some people enjoy it in their native language, I don't really understand why, but hey XD

However, I don’t think dubs completely ruin it, and I do think it depends on what you like, so if you prefer dubs, that’s cool man, I don’t care, there are some alright dubs out there, I’m just stating reasons why I and the large majority of people prefer subs which dub supporters don’t seem to be able to understand.

Devdan said:
I'll say the same thing I always do. I prefer dubs because anything is more enjoyable in one's native language.

That’s cool man, what ever works for you, but it is just your opinion.

Devdan said:
Most of you don't even speak japanese and are just assuming that the japanese voice actors are better because it's a lot harder to tell when people are messing up in another language.

Um.... dude, the way the anime is made (RAW) is EXACTLY how it’s meant to be, so anime produced by the same company working together with VA’s, scriptwriters, animators, producers etc (as is what happens normally..) will ALWAYS have a 100% accuracy rate.

Devdan said:
English dubs these days are good more often that they're bad, and anyone who says there are no good english dubs are just being close-minded elitists are don't deserve to have opinions.

Ok then, please disregard my post as I’m a close minded elitist that doesn’t deserve to have an opinion...as I’ve said previously, it’s all up to personal opinion.

Devdan said:
And if that wasn't insulting enough, I could alternatively just say you're all really stupid. kalo and a4e especially. Those posts of yours were nothing but ignorant flamebait.

I’m looking forward to your rebuttal. lol, Devdan sorry I’m not picking on your anything, I just want an opinion of someone who supports subs. I mean, you obviously have very good reasons why you like subs if you can so callously dismiss people’s opinions. This is an open invitation for anyone who wishes to rebut and argue for dubs as I really do wish to know why you like them better.

TL;DR

Mar 2, 2008 2:34 AM

Subs.

Good dub would be fine, but usually they're just awful.

Mar 2, 2008 2:36 AM

Usually just the original or subs

Some dubs are just awful
Ex: One Piece Dub DX

Mar 2, 2008 9:08 AM

I really can't understand people, that only watch dubbed Anime, but you should do what you think is best for you.

I am watching only subs, though.... it improved my english greatly and I don't want to miss it >.<
~ Close your eyes and open your imagination ... . ... Let the words and letters be your colors and let your soul be the brush, that paints a new reality ~

Mar 2, 2008 10:01 AM

Nice rant^^ now i don't have to do it:D
I prefer subs or raw (i know enough Japanese to understand if I've seen it with subs before) but i know of some good dubs:

Dirty Pair Flash:
Here the English dub has just more or less completely ignored the Japanese voices. Read the story (the little there is) and made up a new one:P surprisingly though, it makes a half bad anime in to something really funny. the downside being that you don't understand what's going on from time to time.

Rune Soldier:
Again, humor. The English voice actor sounds way more stupid than the Japanese one^^ It fits in this series and makes it fun=)

and that's all i can think of now...=)

Mar 2, 2008 10:56 AM

Asako said:
The other stuff, like script changes and toning down swearing/ero stuff etc, I can -generally- forgive, as most dubs are targeted for a younger audience than the originals, not a fan of the practice, but I understand why it's done.

The dubs are not targeted towards a younger audience unless they are done by 4Kids or sometimes Viz. I don't know where you are pulling that information from. In addition, swear words do not actually exist in Japanese the same way they do in English. Basically, there are words that may be translated as swear words, but they are not the same thing as swear words. It is up to the translator how to translate these. In some situations, swear words are appropriate. However, in many other situations, the swearing is not necessary and does not fit with the scene. This is something that I have noticed many fansubs are guilty of. Also, dubs don't tone down ecchi scenes.
Modified by SuiDream88, Mar 2, 2008 11:46 AM

Mar 2, 2008 11:45 AM

Kleo said:
Subs.

Good dub would be fine, but usually they're just awful.

I agree =)
Love Psychological? Join
Pyschological Love =D

Mar 2, 2008 11:46 AM

I didn't vote in the poll since I watch both. I prefer to watch a good dub over a good sub usually, but if I don't have access to the dub thats fine and I'll watch the sub. When I buy anime on dvds I usually watch the dub it comes with since I like many of them.^^ Subs are nice, but they take focus away from the animation and beauty of the anime since reading the subs takes some focus away from the art.

Mar 2, 2008 12:10 PM

Subs FTW >__<

Mar 2, 2008 1:24 PM

Flame_Haze said:
I didn't vote in the poll since I watch both. I prefer to watch a good dub over a good sub usually, but if I don't have access to the dub thats fine and I'll watch the sub. When I buy anime on dvds I usually watch the dub it comes with since I like many of them.^^ Subs are nice, but they take focus away from the animation and beauty of the anime since reading the subs takes some focus away from the art.

Uh-oh, be careful. You're being rational.

Also known as Monster in a box, but I hate that handle...and it doesn't fit here.

Mar 2, 2008 1:31 PM

Sub Sub Sub

Mar 2, 2008 1:31 PM

Devdan said:
Flame_Haze said:

Uh-oh, be careful. You're being rational.

Presenting a logical thought in a rational, intelligent, and polite manner? What sort of witchery is this?
D&D Club

Because my sig making skills are non-existant.

Mar 2, 2008 4:08 PM

well i can read most lines of subs in 1 and a half seconds so I have plenty of time to enjoy the art : p

Mar 2, 2008 4:15 PM

Heh, go you Flame_Haze. I agree with you 100%.
You can find me on IRC.

Mar 2, 2008 6:01 PM

Asako said:

Osaka's (Azumanga) kansai-ben being turned in to a southern belle is just 100%, totally, unforgivably wrong.

Serious question: Am I the only person on the planet who thought that the Azumanga Daioh dub was brilliant and hilarious, and that Osaka's voice actress and accent were perfect for her?

And yes, I have watched subbed episodes as well.

oh, these little earthquakes

Mar 2, 2008 6:22 PM

I don't really prefer one or the other. I think both have good qualities--in most cases: I realize old dubs do suck--but I usually watch in English first. Doesn't really make a difference to me.

What do you mean Beethoven wasn't so great?!

Mar 2, 2008 6:41 PM

Subbed! Definitly.

Mar 2, 2008 6:42 PM

AnomalousOne said:
Serious question: Am I the only person on the planet who thought that the Azumanga Daioh dub was brilliant and hilarious, and that Osaka's voice actress and accent were perfect for her?

And yes, I have watched subbed episodes as well.

I'm sure you're not he only person, but you're probably in the minority. Osaka and Chiyo's English voices were terrible. >.<

Mar 2, 2008 6:47 PM

I thought Azumanga Daioh had a great dub as well. It's actually generally accepted as a great dub by people who actually watch dubs. I wouldn't judge whether a dub is good or not going by opinions here. It seems that most people here hate dubs in general

@Asako: If you think that is a bad dub, then I dare you to find a dub clip of Love Hina. Your ears will bleed. Seriously. It's the worst dub that I have ever heard.
Modified by SuiDream88, Mar 2, 2008 7:03 PM

Mar 2, 2008 7:11 PM

I usually watch the subbed anime but I will occasionally watch a dub if it is good and not butchered.

Ex: Naruto, One Piece, Dragon Ball Z

Mar 2, 2008 9:48 PM

Asako, what accent would YOU have given her? It's not like they could have kept a Japanese accent in the transition to English. A southern accent is the closest English equivalent to Kansai-ben.

Taking the accent away entirely wouldn't have worked because she's supposed to be a foreigner. Giving her a yankee accent would make her sound more stuck-up than ditzy, which is how she's supposed to sound.

The Texan drawl is the best match for her airheaded personality.
You can find me on IRC.

Mar 2, 2008 10:17 PM

I prefer subs over dubs. However, I do take the time to watch dubbed shows on tv if the only thing on is the O.C or the news.

Banner made by suikka

Mar 2, 2008 10:18 PM
Subs although I would like to watch raws when I understand enough Japanese.

I don't mind Dubs though after I get used to it, it's all the same.

Mar 2, 2008 10:23 PM

Kuyukly said:
Asako, what accent would YOU have given her? It's not like they could have kept a Japanese accent in the transition to English. A southern accent is the closest English equivalent to Kansai-ben.

Taking the accent away entirely wouldn't have worked because she's supposed to be a foreigner. Giving her a yankee accent would make her sound more stuck-up than ditzy, which is how she's supposed to sound.

The Texan drawl is the best match for her airheaded personality.

See, that takes me back to the whole accent thing I mentioned before. I'm not American. Southern drawls don't have as much 'meaning' to me as they would an American, and I found that casting to be horrid. Kansai hardly equals Texas.

Mar 3, 2008 7:41 AM

Asako said:
See, that takes me back to the whole accent thing I mentioned before. I'm not American. Southern drawls don't have as much 'meaning' to me as they would an American, and I found that casting to be horrid. Kansai hardly equals Texas.

I guess you'd have to be American to know how good a match it was :/

Fair enough, I suppose.
You can find me on IRC.

Mar 4, 2008 11:21 AM

I prefer subs over dubs. However, I don't mind about dubs as long it's good.

Mar 4, 2008 12:48 PM
I like to watch it subbed because the characters sound better plus it helps me perfect my japanese.

Mar 4, 2008 11:45 PM

I generally prefer subbed, but there are some cases i prefer dubbed. (e.g Doraemon in cantonese :D)

Mar 5, 2008 1:34 AM

Subbed and raw.

Mar 5, 2008 1:23 PM

I usually watch subbed, but if the dub is well made, I can still enjoy it. I often have a hard time watching dubbed anime I have already watched subbed, and vice versa.

Mar 5, 2008 2:20 PM

Subs is much better then dub. and yet dub to me is evil.
@ MAL Claim an Anime Character v.2

Mar 5, 2008 2:28 PM

I like both.

Mar 5, 2008 5:03 PM

Ehhh....I personally find these threads to be really pointless. Its obvious that most people are going to be biased, and go with subs, and in many cases just start bashing dubs. As for me, I check out both versions for most anime that I watch, and judge which version I like better. And, unlike many other people, I have found plenty of decent dubs, and even quite a few great ones, which I prefer over their sub counterparts. At any rate, I like both versions, but if I can find a good dub for an anime, than I will probably watch that over the sub. That's just my opinion, anyways.

Mar 5, 2008 5:14 PM

I don't mind dubs if I like the VAs, but unfortunately that's rare. Trigun I watched dubbed once ('cause we pulled an all-nighter and it gets hard to read subs when me eyes are tired), but I *had* to switch back to subs every time Rem spoke/sung/horrified me with her atrocious voice acting. >_>

Mar 13, 2008 11:21 PM

sub ^^ already use to it :D

Mar 14, 2008 12:48 AM
I definately perfer subs.

However if the dub is good, i'm okay with that. but when i have a choice, it's sub all the way.

Mar 14, 2008 2:32 AM

OmegaJudgement said:
There probably has been a thread like this since I feel that I'm answering this for the 4th or so time

Haha, I feel the same :)

I prefer subs by far, and even if a dub did a good job, it would still be below subs, IMO.

[url][/url]

Mar 14, 2008 3:48 AM

yagami-kun said:
if it is good and not butchered.

eeh... those are butchered acctually.....

Mar 14, 2008 10:24 AM

I watche my animes subbed. I can't stand the english voices.

Mar 14, 2008 11:01 AM

Marek92 said:
yagami-kun said:
if it is good and not butchered.

eeh... those are butchered acctually.....

Actually, the Funimation dub of One Piece is pretty good. And Naruto comes out uncut in the DVD box sets.
D&D Club

Mar 14, 2008 11:03 AM

I prefer subs, becouse is much better for me hear the voice on japanise. Sometimes in dub is worst than subbed. Is the case of sailor moon or death note

Mar 14, 2008 11:13 AM

ichikiba said:
Actually, the Funimation dub of One Piece is pretty good. And Naruto comes out uncut in the DVD box sets.

but one-piece is butchered anyway, doesnt have to do with the dub....
And not everyone buys naruto on dvd... most watch it on tv i guess (or online when there is no naruto on tv, like here in holland)

Mar 14, 2008 11:36 AM

Marek92 said:
ichikiba said:

but one-piece is butchered anyway, doesnt have to do with the dub....
And not everyone buys naruto on dvd... most watch it on tv i guess (or online when there is no naruto on tv, like here in holland)

I'm not sure what you mean about One Piece. I'm guessing you mean the anime messed up the original story of the manga, I don't know. As for Naruto...well, yea, the tv version sucks.

D&D Club

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (64) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »