Forum Settings
Forums
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (64) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

Poll: Which do you prefer?

Feb 25, 2008 12:58 PM

It depends for me,
if I started out watching it subbed, I usually hate the dub.
If I started out watching the dub, I'll most likely be happy/satisfied with the dub.
I usually get used to the dubbed version, though.

I like watching anime on my bed in my room from bought Dvds so I mostly like dubbed.

Feb 25, 2008 1:14 PM

I watch mine subbed, but some of them dubbed. Especially if I know the English voice actor and I like their voice. But Japanese seiyuu's ftw ^^

Feb 25, 2008 2:02 PM
Subs of corse :D

Feb 25, 2008 3:06 PM

Anything versus Dubbed? Dubbing sucks. They always ruin it

Feb 25, 2008 3:08 PM

gengduck said:

No they ALWAYS don't.

Feb 25, 2008 4:01 PM

gengduck said:

That's either incredibly biased or misinformed. I'm not sure which. Either way, it's not true.

Feb 25, 2008 4:27 PM

I like both, but with the exception of One Piece, and sometimes Naruto I prefer the Dubs.

Feb 25, 2008 4:32 PM

Where's the both option? Seriously.

Feb 25, 2008 4:38 PM

Pixeleen said:
Where's the both option? Seriously.

So tempted to say something.>__>;;

Nvm.<_<

Feb 25, 2008 5:36 PM

I don't particularly dislike subs, but I prefer to hear it in my own language, and I have trouble with the subtitles because they draw my attention away from the action. Also, certain characters, namely Naruto, talk way too damn fast for me to follow, and I don't want to pause to read the subtitles.

But, if I've already seen the episode in English, I can follow along with only having to occasionally glance at the subtitles, in which case I might watch the sub just for the hell of it.

Of course, there's an exception if the dub is horribly done, which nine times out of ten means it's done by 4Kids, which I will not get into because I could go on all day about my hatred for that company.

Edit: <_< Ah, crap. I'm in that anti-versus thread club, but I just posted in a versus thread. Hm.
D&D Club

Because my sig making skills are non-existant.

Feb 25, 2008 6:11 PM

Subs, so it can aid me in the process of learning Japanese >.>

Feb 25, 2008 6:15 PM

I prefer subbed since it does sound cooler and i can learn some japanese if there ARE english subs unless I want to say stuff i don't even understand. =D

Feb 25, 2008 6:17 PM
I prefer subs no matter what. I hate when I'm watching a subbed series and then have to watch the last few episodes dubbed because I can't find the subbed anywhere. Grr. The only thing I hate about subbed is when I watch them when I'm really, really tired... 'cause all the reading ends up putting to me sleep. Like last night. And the night before.

Feb 25, 2008 6:31 PM

Both but I watch a lot more subbed anime series.

Feb 25, 2008 6:42 PM

Honestly it really depends on the anime, if there's alot of action, I prefer dub so
I don't have to bother reading. Though most of the time I just love sub, because you don't have to worry about english voice actors butchering the show.

"Anime brings people together, no matter your age, race, gender, religion, or philosophy as long as you like anime you've got something in common with People all over the world"

Feb 25, 2008 6:46 PM
Only dub I liked better than the sub was chobits and hellsing. Sera's voice is amazing on the dub and chii sounds retarded in the OG version.

Feb 27, 2008 4:21 PM

Well personally, I like subs, but I also like some dubs. I like to keep an open mind about both.

Like many of you, I like to watch a lot of unlicensed anime and therefore I am SO use to the Japanese voices of that characters that it just feels weird to hear one of my beloved characters voiced by a different person entirely.

In the case of dubs, I guess it's more my curiosity that gets the better of me and I just want to see how "it would've been" in English.

Feb 27, 2008 4:24 PM

I prefer subs most of the time, but I like dubs too. I don't mind watching RAWs for certain series, either.

Feb 27, 2008 6:23 PM

Personally I prefer Subbed. But it depends on the series.

Feb 27, 2008 6:34 PM

Dubs.
I am American, my first language is English, I watch my anime in English. Why? For one, if I want to read, I will pick up one of my manga. I like to watch my anime and pay attention to detail. Another reason is because I don't want to sit there listening to something which I have to translate mentally every word into my own language. Anime isn't a job, it is a luxury and I don't want work while watching my anime.

And hey, even though I am a dub lover there are a few things I simply don't watch in English. Those such series are when I break out the subtitles ( as much as I dislike them ). Series like Cardcaptor Sakura, Tokyo Mew Mew, and Gravitation. Otherwise, ENGLISH FOR ME KTHNX. <33

Feb 27, 2008 6:46 PM

In my opinion subbed is almost always better in terms of voice acting since it is the original actors and it is closer to what the creators intended. I would much rather read subs than listen to bad voice acting and even if they did a good job it still isn't the original. I only watch dubbed if I'm watching it with someone else who doesn't like to read subtitles or makes fun of Japanese. (like most of my family, unfortunately) Ultimately, raws are the best since it is the original, unedited, version. But even if I understood Japanese I think I would still like the karaoke parts in subs. The best would be raws with karaoke. (optional on DVD and mkv of course)

EDIT: Some series (like Pani Poni Dash) lose some of their meaning when dubbed. With Pani Poni Dash, even when subbed, you have to pause sometimes to read all the Japanese references. I have a feeling if this series was released (by a company) with subs they would leave out the references thus still losing some of its meaning. Therefore, I usually stick with fansubs.
Modified by BRS_CHIYO, Feb 27, 2008 6:51 PM

Feb 27, 2008 7:00 PM
Depends on the anime. If it is stuff like Black Cat, Evangelion, and Bleach, they sound horrid in english. I mostly watch subbed anime. I prefer dubbed anime is when it comes to Fruits Basket, Tenchi Muyo, Oh! My Goddess, and Detective Conan, so It really depends on the anime. Sometimes you can enjoy anime more if you don't always have to read subtitles. You need to have a 'depends' vote up there and not be so closed minded.

Mar 1, 2008 2:53 AM

Subs cause sometime they change stuff when they dub it...

Mar 1, 2008 2:58 AM

Just making the rounds to call you people ignorant again. I might've already done so in this topic, but there are so many that I lose track.

Though on an anti-dub I did just start watching Sailor Moon, after having only seen it dubbed eons ago, and it's definitely better. The characters have japanese names, and her friend doesn't have a Brooklyn accent or anything! However, Sailor Moon was a mid-90's kids dub, and we've come a long way since then even if 90% of this site refuses to acknowledge that.

Also known as Monster in a box, but I hate that handle...and it doesn't fit here.

Mar 1, 2008 3:02 AM

Devdan said:
Sailor Moon was a mid-90's kids dub, and we've come a long way since then even if 90% of this site refuses to acknowledge that.

Yeah. I admit there have been some decent dubs in recent years. Having only recently got pay TV, I've watched a bit on Cartoon Network, also one of our national channels (ABC2) aired Ergo Proxy and Noein dubs last year. While I still prefer original audio, some dubs aren't as tragic as they were back in the 90s with complete butcherings that happened.

I don't see why the point should even be argued. Fansubs are original audio. TV will be dubs. DVDs will have both options. So there's not anything to cry about. People are free to choose.

Mar 1, 2008 3:06 AM

Yes, they are. And if you prefer subs that's just fine. But don't try to justify it. Since that's the popular opinion here, everyone feels the need to insult dubs while praising subs. 'I like subs better' is an acceptable response, but you see so many 'I like subs better because they are the originals, and dubs are different and bad. I don't speak Japanese, but I will go on faith that subs are 100% accurate, and if I see something different in a dub from the fan-sub I was watching, that means it is wrong and that dubs are bad.' I think my frustration is very much warranted.

Also known as Monster in a box, but I hate that handle...and it doesn't fit here.

Mar 1, 2008 3:11 AM

subbed rocks!!! its better!!

Mar 1, 2008 3:17 AM

I prefer subbed. Some dubs are actually superior, but the Japanese voices sound better for the most part.

Mar 1, 2008 3:34 AM

Subs are always the best, with RAWs following, never watch dubs!
The only good dubbed anime that I can vagely remember is Full Metal Panic

Mar 1, 2008 3:43 AM

This is so obvious ... haha.

Subbed.

Mar 1, 2008 6:56 AM
Usually I watch Dubbed if available :)

Mar 1, 2008 12:52 PM

chrissy12 said:
Subs are always the best, with RAWs following, never watch dubs!
The only good dubbed anime that I can vagely remember is Full Metal Panic

You see, when you pick such an arbitrary show as the 'only good dub' you're just proving your ignorance. Don't pretend to know what you're talking about / not be biased.

Mar 1, 2008 1:53 PM

I tend to prefer subs, though I'm also alright with watching dubs. I think it depends for some series on which one I watched first, since I get used to the voices over time.

...However, the one thing in English dubs that really annoys me are the little girls with high-pitched voices. I hate them, especially if they weren't meant to be annoying in the original.
ohai

Mar 1, 2008 2:05 PM

Jade_Curtiss said:

...However, the one thing in English dubs that really annoys me are the little girls with high-pitched voices. I hate them, especially if they weren't meant to be annoying in the original.

In dubs? Seriously? I hear those all the time in subs, but only every so often in dubs.

oh, these little earthquakes

Mar 1, 2008 2:19 PM

AnomalousOne said:
Jade_Curtiss said:

In dubs? Seriously? I hear those all the time in subs, but only every so often in dubs.

Yes, but it mainly only bugs me if it's one of those cases where there's too much change to the original voice. ...But, you are right. And the ones you can frequently find in subs can also be extremely annoying.
ohai

Mar 1, 2008 5:43 PM

Sigh, I didn’t think I would have to write this, but people’s complete bashing of subs (not naming any names) and believing on false pretences that subs have nothing going for them and the only reasons people like them is because they sound cool is starting to piss me off. Earlier post by dubs supporters say that say that we can't tell who's a better VA because we can't speak Japanese. Is that right? VA's use SCRIPTS, they DON'T make up what they are saying on the spot. therefore, it is only their voice that determines how good they are I understand basic Japanese and when I watch many dubs I can tell that the people writing the scripts make translating differences as they try to make what they are saying into English, which often gives it a completely different meaning, which is primarily the cause of cultural differences (You can often see this when someone quotes a Japanese saying or plays a Japanese game). Dubs also leave out honorifics which are extremely important in understanding characters relationships. These are just a few examples.

The point I am trying to get across in this argument, is that the VOICE ACTOR and SCRIPTWRITER and two different entities which make up a whole. And when the dubbing process occurs many important subtleties are lost in the process. The reasons I don’t like most English VA’s and scriptwriters are found somewhere in this (sorry this is kind of a rant).

Let me talk about scriptwriters...by personal experience I have found that the large majority of subbers/fansubbers ARE more accurate, in what the scriptwriter is trying to portray. Naturally since the anime is made in Japan, in Japanese, by the company that animated it, if you speak Japanese the scriptwriter is 100% accurate, however, if you sub it, and don’t understand Japanese, the accuracy level drops lower (around 85%?), and if you dub it, the accuracy level falls even lower (75%ish?). As said above, this is primarily the case of cultural differences and perhaps translators that don’t understand the anime (just an opinion). Please not these percentages are not to scale and are just an example.
I’ll tell you some of the things the Scriptwriter is responsible for; Culture, honorifics, overall feel of the anime (very important), pausing in sentences and emotion (shared with VA). This is only a few, can’t think of anything else atm >.< The scriptwriter is responsible for most aspects of the VA’s role.

Now let’s talk about what makes a good VA... Tone, pitch (voice) and emotion. You don’t need to understand Japanese to clearly see this! The selection of these things depends on the scriptwriter as well as something very important everyone seems to be forgetting. TARGET AUDIENCE In Japan, anime is geared towards a slightly older age bracket than in western culture. This influences the quality of the VA, and often leads to them “over-acting” and not having a proper feel of what the character is trying to represent or portray, and often gives the anime a “cheesy feel”. On TV, in western cultures, anime is shown in the mornings, before school, so little kids can watch it, as is different in Japan.  that sentence is entirely speculation.

Wow, this is the biggest rant in history, I can’t believe I typed all this. I’ve left out so many arguments etc, but this is how I feel. I honestly can’t see any pro’s of dubs apart from being too lazy to read, not having a proper grasp of what anime is actually about or being a kid and watching anime before school. EDIT - Some people enjoy it in their native language, I don't really understand why, but hey XD

However, I don’t think dubs completely ruin it, and I do think it depends on what you like, so if you prefer dubs, that’s cool man, I don’t care, there are some alright dubs out there, I’m just stating reasons why I and the large majority of people prefer subs which dub supporters don’t seem to be able to understand.

Devdan said:
I'll say the same thing I always do. I prefer dubs because anything is more enjoyable in one's native language.

That’s cool man, what ever works for you, but it is just your opinion.

Devdan said:
Most of you don't even speak japanese and are just assuming that the japanese voice actors are better because it's a lot harder to tell when people are messing up in another language.

Um.... dude, the way the anime is made (RAW) is EXACTLY how it’s meant to be, so anime produced by the same company working together with VA’s, scriptwriters, animators, producers etc (as is what happens normally..) will ALWAYS have a 100% accuracy rate.

Devdan said:
English dubs these days are good more often that they're bad, and anyone who says there are no good english dubs are just being close-minded elitists are don't deserve to have opinions.

Ok then, please disregard my post as I’m a close minded elitist that doesn’t deserve to have an opinion...as I’ve said previously, it’s all up to personal opinion.

Devdan said:
And if that wasn't insulting enough, I could alternatively just say you're all really stupid. kalo and a4e especially. Those posts of yours were nothing but ignorant flamebait.

I’m looking forward to your rebuttal. lol, Devdan sorry I’m not picking on your anything, I just want an opinion of someone who supports subs. I mean, you obviously have very good reasons why you like subs if you can so callously dismiss people’s opinions. This is an open invitation for anyone who wishes to rebut and argue for dubs as I really do wish to know why you like them better.

Modified by Neko-Lazor, Mar 1, 2008 9:08 PM

Mar 1, 2008 7:36 PM

@Neko-Lazor: You bring up many valid points. I like subs and dubs, but I do think that dubs get much more hate than they deserve. I really do think that part of this is due to ignorance of dubs. IMO, some of the responses in this topic scream ignorance. The days of HORRIBLE dubs are, for the most part, behind us. Some seem to think that we are still stuck in this era. I have a couple of things with that I want to respond to as well.
Neko-Lazor said:
Earlier post by dubs supporters say that say that we can't tell who's a better VA because we can't speak Japanese. Is that right? VA's use SCRIPTS, they DON'T make up what they are saying on the spot. therefore, it is only their voice that determines how good they are

No, it is not only the voice by which acting is judged. Acting is judged not only by voice, but by emphasis on certain words and the emotion that is imbued into them. If you do not speak the language, you will not be able to judge the acting as a whole. Voice does play a very important part. However, it is not the ONLY part.

Neko-Lazor said:
I understand basic Japanese and when I watch many dubs I can tell that the people writing the scripts make translating differences as they try to make what they are saying into English, which often gives it a completely different meaning, which is primarily the cause of cultural differences (You can often see this when someone quotes a Japanese saying or plays a Japanese game). Dubs also leave out honorifics which are extremely important in understanding characters relationships. These are just a few examples.

Fair enough. However, I disagree that the scriptwriters frequently completely change the meaning of the script. Most of the time, the meaning is kept the same, but the wording is changed. With puns and things along those lines, yes, they typically completely change the meaning. Lastly, I agree with you on the subject of honorifics.

Neko-Lazor said:
The point I am trying to get across in this argument, is that the VOICE ACTOR and SCRIPTWRITER and two different entities which make up a whole. And when the dubbing process occurs many important subtleties are lost in the process. The reasons I don’t like most English VA’s and scriptwriters are found somewhere in this (sorry this is kind of a rant).

I fail to see the relevance of the VA and scriptwriter thing. Care to explain further?

Neko-Lazor said:
Let me talk about scriptwriters...by personal experience I have found that the large majority of subbers/fansubbers ARE more accurate, in what the scriptwriter is trying to portray. Naturally since the anime is made in Japan, in Japanese, by the company that animated it, if you speak Japanese the scriptwriter is 100% accurate, however, if you sub it, and don’t understand Japanese, the accuracy level drops lower (around 85%?), and if you dub it, the accuracy level falls even lower (75%ish?). As said above, this is primarily the case of cultural differences and perhaps translators that don’t understand the anime (just an opinion). Please not these percentages are not to scale and are just an example.

Yes, subs are more accurate if translated correctly. However, if we go by the your logic, shouldn't we learn Japanese? After all, that is the only way you get the authentic experience. It is indeed the only way to get the 100% correct translation since Japanese does not translate very well into English.

Neko-Lazor said:
I’ll tell you some of the things the Scriptwriter is responsible for; Culture, honorifics, overall feel of the anime (very important), pausing in sentences and emotion (shared with VA). This is only a few, can’t think of anything else atm >.< The scriptwriter is responsible for most aspects of the VA’s role.

You vastly underrate the value of acting. Good acting is just as essential as the actual dialog if you want to communicate emotion to the viewer. An actors job is just as difficult as the scriptwriters IMO.

Neko-Lazor said:
Now let’s talk about what makes a good VA... Tone, pitch (voice) and emotion. You don’t need to understand Japanese to clearly see this! The selection of these things depends on the scriptwriter as well as something very important everyone seems to be forgetting. TARGET AUDIENCE In Japan, anime is geared towards a slightly older age bracket than in western culture. This influences the quality of the VA, and often leads to them “over-acting” and not having a proper feel of what the character is trying to represent or portray, and often gives the anime a “cheesy feel”. On TV, in western cultures, anime is shown in the mornings, before school, so little kids can watch it, as is different in Japan.  that sentence is entirely speculation.

How much anime is shown on TV in America? A small, minute amount. That pretty much invalidates the whole paragraph. Most anime is aimed at the same target audience in this country as in Japan. The only companies that seem to fit into your description are 4Kids and sometimes Viz.

Neko-Lazor said:
Wow, this is the biggest rant in history, I can’t believe I typed all this. I’ve left out so many arguments etc, but this is how I feel. I honestly can’t see any pro’s of dubs apart from being too lazy to read, not having a proper grasp of what anime is actually about or being a kid and watching anime before school.

And here I thought we were having a mature conversation until the "people who like dubs are lazy, don't have a proper grasp of what anime is about, or are little kids" comment. I think a large part of why dub fans like dubs is that anime is more enjoyable to them in their native language. I do not think that it has much to do with laziness or such. I enjoy subs and dubs. I would say that my reason for liking dubs is exactly what I stated. I find anime enjoyable when it is spoken in my own language. Also, most dubs do not differ that much from the subs. I watch subs for a more accurate translation and to see what the anime sounds like in Japanese. However, dubs hold just as much of a special place in my heart as subs.

Neko-Lazor said:
However, I don’t think dubs completely ruin it, and I do think it depends on what you like, so if you prefer dubs, that’s cool man, I don’t care, there are some alright dubs out there, I’m just stating reasons why I and the large majority of people prefer subs which dub supporters don’t seem to be able to understand.
I still stand by my statement that many bash dubs due to ignorance. I know that many do not. However, as I have said, quite a few of the posts in this topic come across as having little or no knowledge of dubs. You have posted an intelligent, well thought out post, and I thank you for that.
Modified by SuiDream88, Mar 1, 2008 9:56 PM

Mar 1, 2008 8:13 PM

subbed
i couldnt have it any other way...

Mar 1, 2008 8:18 PM

i agree, subs ftw... i can't watch anything with dubs...

Mar 1, 2008 8:26 PM

To be perfectly honest, I tend to like the language I first hear an anime in more. For instance, I watched FMA in English, and absolutely cannot stand it subbed. Yes, most acknowledge that FMA was a good dub, but the point remains. For the reverse, I can't stand The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya dubbed, even though many say it isn't half bad. There are always exceptions, of course, such as Sailor Moon and Ergo Proxy (for me, anyway).

Yes, some dubs are absolutely horrendous. But there are many that are damn good as well.

Mar 1, 2008 9:13 PM

To be perfectly honest, sometimes I'm incapable of reading long rants for one reason or another, and now is one of those times. However, from what I skimmed of it, your rant seemed pretty meaningless and unnecessary. I fully intend to get back to it, but as it stands, I was pretty much the only one standing up for dubs here. I wasn't saying anything bad about subs. Subs are fine. Never said they weren't.

I'll get back to this when I feel up to reading lots and lots of text.

Mar 1, 2008 9:18 PM

Haha thanks XD, I don’t really intent it to be a serious argument I was just kind of spilling out what was inside my head. I didn’t read over it and can probably pick more flaws out of it than anyone, but I’ll clarify what I feel if you like.

Neko-Lazor said:
Earlier post by dubs supporters say that say that we can't tell who's a better VA because we can't speak Japanese. Is that right? VA's use SCRIPTS, they DON'T make up what they are saying on the spot. therefore, it is only their voice that determines how good they are

Strawberry-kun said:
No, it is not only the voice by which acting is judged. Acting is judged not only by voice, but by emphasis on certain words and the emotion that is imbued into them. If you do not speak the language, you will not be able to judge the acting as a whole. Voice does play a very important part. However, it is not the ONLY part.

OK, when I say “voice” I’m including emotion and emphasis, not just what they sound like, I probably should have clarified that.

Neko-Lazor said:
I understand basic Japanese and when I watch many dubs I can tell that the people writing the scripts make translating differences as they try to make what they are saying into English, which often gives it a completely different meaning, which is primarily the cause of cultural differences (You can often see this when someone quotes a Japanese saying or plays a Japanese game). Dubs also leave out honorifics which are extremely important in understanding characters relationships. These are just a few examples.

Strawberry-kun said:
Fair enough. However, I disagree that the scriptwriters frequently completely change the meaning of the script. Most of the time, the meaning is kept the same, but the wording is changed. With puns and things along those lines, yes, they typically completely change the meaning. Lastly, I agree with you on the subject of honorifics.

Agreed, it’s mostly cultural or translation differences.

Neko-Lazor said:

Strawberry-kun said:
I fail to see the relevance of the VA and scriptwriter thing. Care to explain further?

Certainly, my explanations kinda suck :D There are 2 reasons why people don’t like dubs. These are: The voice (VA) and what the voice is saying (Translators/Scriptwriters). You have to distinguish between the two if you are criticising dubs. Many people (including myself) don’t like the “English voice” (VA) as it is often over-acted “cheesy” and you don’t get the correct feel the character is trying to portray.

The scriptwriting is everything else, what the characters are saying and why they are saying them.

Neko-Lazor said:

Strawberry-kun said:
Yes, subs are more accurate if translated correctly. However, if we go by the your logic, shouldn't we learn Japanese? After all, that is the only way you get the authentic experience. It is indeed the only way to get the 100% correct translation since Japanese does not translate very well into English.

Correct.

Neko-Lazor said:

Strawberry-kun said:
You vastly underrate the value of acting. Good acting is just as essential as the actual dialog if you want to communicate emotion to the viewer.

The voice actor is usually told by the scriptwriter what emotion to use, what words to put emphasis on etc, so I’m kindof having a biff with scriptwriters here : D

Neko-Lazor said:
Now let’s talk about what makes a good VA... Tone, pitch (voice) and emotion. You don’t need to understand Japanese to clearly see this! The selection of these things depends on the scriptwriter as well as something very important everyone seems to be forgetting. TARGET AUDIENCE In Japan, anime is geared towards a slightly older age bracket than in western culture. This influences the quality of the VA, and often leads to them “over-acting” and not having a proper feel of what the character is trying to represent or portray, and often gives the anime a “cheesy feel”. On TV, in western cultures, anime is shown in the mornings, before school, so little kids can watch it, as is different that sentence is entirely speculation.in Japan.

Strawberry-kun said:
How much anime is shown on TV in America? A small, minute amount. That pretty much invalidates the whole paragraph. Most anime is aimed at the same target audience in this country as in Japan. The only companies that seem to fit into your description are 4Kids and sometimes Viz.

Oh shit, just realised, I wrote this is word and there was an error when posting it, what it was meant to say was " On TV, in western cultures, anime is shown in the mornings, before school, so little kids can watch it, as is different in japan. <--that sentence is entirely speculation." So please ignore it, although I don't think it completely invalidates the paragraph Dx.

Neko-Lazor said:
Wow, this is the biggest rant in history, I can’t believe I typed all this. I’ve left out so many arguments etc, but this is how I feel. I honestly can’t see any pro’s of dubs apart from being too lazy to read, not having a proper grasp of what anime is actually about or being a kid and watching anime before school.

Strawberry-kun said:
And here I thought we were having a mature conversation until the "people who like dubs are lazy, don't have a proper grasp of what anime is about, or are little kids" comment. I think a large part of why dub fans like dubs is that anime is more enjoyable to them in their native language. I do not think that it has much to do with laziness or such. I enjoy subs and dubs. I would say that my reason for liking dubs is exactly what I stated. I find anime enjoyable when it is spoken in my own language. Also, most dubs do not differ that much from the subs. I watch subs for a more accurate translation and to see what the anime sounds like in Japanese. However, dubs hold just as much of a special place in my heart as subs.

Haha sorry about that, what I really was thinking is that I personally don’t see reasons why people watch them, using the word “lazy” was a mistake so my bad on that some people do enjoy it in their native language, I don’t know why >.> but yeah, it seems a bit harsh, I’ll edit my earlier post XD

Neko-Lazor said:

Strawberry-kun said:
I still stand by my statement that many bash dubs due to ignorance. I have read quite a few posts in this very topic that scream ignorance. You have posted an intelligent, mature post, and I thank you for that.

I agree entirely with you, and thank you for post : ) I think my VA and scriptwriting thing is kindof hard for me to explain and probably not using the right words XD And sorry about the fan bashing lol, bad choice of words I guess ^^.
Modified by Neko-Lazor, Mar 1, 2008 9:22 PM

Mar 1, 2008 9:22 PM

Once again, can't read all that, but one point. Dub haters are always saying English voices are 'cheesy', but what makes you so sure the Japanese voices aren't? You may understand some 'basic' japanese, but that's not quite the same thing as being fluent, and your average dub hater doesn't even understand that much. They're just going on faith that Japanese VAs can do no wrong.

Although there are times when I can tell that even a Japanese VA is acting poorly. Like...oh, I dunno...Himawari. Haven't seen it? Not missing much.

Mar 1, 2008 9:23 PM

I am a sub fan, i find most of the english dubs are really bad, i have nothing against the voice actors who play the roles in english but i find that some dont suit the character. One of the only animes that seemed to have perfect character matches for everyone was hellsing and a few others.

Cowboy bebop was also a good one but i still prefer the subs.

Another good thing about the subs the ops and eds are translated and are usually put in a beautiful font which suits the anime, but is also legible and for the most part accurate.

So far only Death Note in english has subbed the intro, and they did a very good job about it too.

Mar 1, 2008 9:31 PM

Someone doesn't own many anime DVDs. They pretty much all do that. And some of them even have karoke, though no company has caught on to that cool color changing thing yet. You know the thing I mean.

Mar 1, 2008 9:32 PM

@Devdan Yep I absolutely agree sometimes Japanese VA's do suck. They do not always seem to me to fit the circumstance or situation. Although, I don't really hate the 'voice' so much, I would just prefer a more accurate and original representation of what the anime is trying to portray. Also, I don't really "hate" dubs, I just personally dislike them, for reasons I wrote.

It's just you make a very good point in saying that no one in this post has had an attempt to make any meaningfully argument. So I thought I'd give it a try.

What I wrote was why I personally don't watch dubs, I don't HATE dubs, I think they are necessary to spread across cultures. Personal taste man, personal taste : )

Mar 1, 2008 9:35 PM

I own quite a few english titles (though i lost count) i forgot to add that with dubbing there are also cases (which art turining up a lot recently) the voices of a majority of the cast are really good, with the exception of 1 or 2. They are improving. I wonder how the new voice actors for onpiece will sound like.

As well there are a few japanese series that sound really horrible.
Modified by kiraclyne, Mar 1, 2008 9:40 PM

Mar 1, 2008 9:52 PM

@Neko-Lazor: I understand what you mean now. I just have a couple of things that I want to correct/clarify.

Neko-Lazor said:
Certainly, my explanations kinda suck :D There are 2 reasons why people don’t like dubs. These are: The voice (VA) and what the voice is saying (Translators/Scriptwriters). You have to distinguish between the two if you are criticising dubs. Many people (including myself) don’t like the “English voice” (VA) as it is often over-acted “cheesy” and you don’t get the correct feel the character is trying to portray.

The scriptwriting is everything else, what the characters are saying and why they are saying them.

I'm going to have to echo what Devdan just said. People who don't understand Japanese are assuming that the Japanese VAs can do no wrong. Even if you understand basic Japanese, I don't think you would be able to tell which has the better acting. At one point, I was able to speak basic Spanish, and I know that I wouldn't be able to tell if an actor was good or not in Spanish.

Neko-Lazor said:
The voice actor is usually told by the scriptwriter what emotion to use, what words to put emphasis on etc, so I’m kindof having a biff with scriptwriters here : D

Well, that is true, but I think the voice actor should be given just as much credit for a good or bad performance. IMO, they put in just as much work as the scriptwriters do. They have to deal with many takes which puts great strain on their voice. In addition, while the scriptwriters may be in charge of that sort of thing, I would think that in some cases, the voice actor would exceed the expectations put on them by the scriptwriter.

Neko-Lazor said:
Oh shit, just realised, I wrote this is word and there was an error when posting it, what it was meant to say was " On TV, in western cultures, anime is shown in the mornings, before school, so little kids can watch it, as is different in japan. <--that sentence is entirely speculation." So please ignore it, although I don't think it completely invalidates the paragraph Dx.

I misread it then. Sorry. Basically, what I meant to say is that only shows that air on TV in the USA are for younger audiences. Even then, this isn't always the case. The anime market outside of 4Kids and sometimes Viz do not aim for younger audiences for their releases. That's much more what I wanted to say.

Neko-Lazor said:
Haha sorry about that, what I really was thinking is that I personally don’t see reasons why people watch them, using the word “lazy” was a mistake so my bad on that some people do enjoy it in their native language, I don’t know why >.> but yeah, it seems a bit harsh, I’ll edit my earlier post XD

It's okay :)

Neko-Lazor said:
I agree entirely with you, and thank you for post : ) I think my VA and scriptwriting thing is kindof hard for me to explain and probably not using the right words XD And sorry about the fan bashing lol, bad choice of words I guess ^^.

Your welcome! :) Like I said above, don't worry about the bashing. I've accidentally done things like that before. Anyways, we had a good conversation. I doubt that I'll have anything else to say in this topic.
Modified by SuiDream88, Mar 1, 2008 9:59 PM

Mar 1, 2008 10:34 PM

Dubbed sucks cause the acting is usually bad. I tried to watch Full metal Panic dubbed but when I got to the parts that were funny to me , it ended up being a big disappointment.

Mar 1, 2008 10:41 PM

I prefer subs than dub because most of the times the voices of the dubbed characters doesn't suit them at all.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (64) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »