Forum Settings
Forums
New
Which do you prefer?
Only subs - original audio is best.
45.9%
Mostly subbed, some dubbed.
29.7%
Only dubbed - I like it in my native language.
2.3%
Mostly dubbed, some subbed.
8.0%
Both subbed and dubbed equally.
11.5%
Raw.
2.6%
2,442 votes
Oct 19, 2007 6:55 AM

May 2007
I watch them subbed... But i watched Akira dubbed cause i found out it was a dub after i torrented it :p

[EDIT: NEW OPTION... SRY PPL WHO ALREADY VOTED...]

Mod edit: Poll entirely replaced.
AsakoNov 9, 2009 9:48 PM

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (63) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 19, 2007 7:31 AM

Sep 2007
Subs ftw since my english suck its more comfortable for me to watch it with subs
Oct 19, 2007 7:37 AM

Aug 2007
Usually I prefer subbed, because japanese just sounds so much cooler than english most of the time :)
Occasionally I have prefered the dub though, for instance in Dragonball and Beck

Thanks De-Jay for my claim picture : ).
Oct 19, 2007 7:54 AM

Oct 2007
watch dub, have tried subtitles and actually dont mind them in live action movies, but in anime they annoy the hell out of me.

anime owned collection list http://tobruk.dvdaf.com/

" You guys want to see me do a magic trick. I will make this pencil disapear."
- the Joker
Oct 19, 2007 8:19 AM

Jan 2007
Uh...both? :)
Oct 19, 2007 8:20 AM

May 2007
Subbed, always.

Oct 2007
subbed!
cuz i dont understand japanese at all...haix...
i can learn and improve my english if it's subbed^^

Aug 2007
sub for me... dubbed anime sounds horrible...
Oct 19, 2007 8:34 AM

Jul 2007
Option C - Raw
Because I don't want to wait for subs :3

For older anime I watch it subbed, or dubbed (but only if they didn't mess up on these)
Oct 19, 2007 8:35 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Hm, don't we have a topic like this already? Not sure. But anyway:
Sayuri said:
Subbed, always.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Oct 19, 2007 8:52 AM

Sep 2007
I watch both but I prefer dubs over subs. Overall I find it more enjoyable to watch a series in a language I understand. Not that I'm "too lazy to read subtitles" it's just personal preference. Plus I get excited when anime airs on American television, that across the country many thousands of people are also watching.

I think what most people overlook when it comes to this debate is that both Japanese and English dubs can be good and bad, for example we all know the 4Kids dub of One Piece was an insult to anime everywhere but the FMA dub was excellent. Also I really hate the Japanese version of Azumanga Daioh, but find the Japanese version of Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni to be so perfect no dub can match it.

No one is right or wrong in this argument as it all has to do with preference, and I really wish people would stop bashing dubs to no end. Please take this fact into consideration, I respect your preference to subs so please don't parade about like there are no good dubs or that native-English speakers can't act to save our lives, because we can.
Oct 19, 2007 8:54 AM

Jul 2007
hounddog said:
Uh...both? :)

Yeah I agree, occasionally there are some pretty decent dubs.
TrieJun 4, 2010 11:19 AM
Oct 19, 2007 9:27 AM

May 2007
cyruz said:
Hm, don't we have a topic like this already?
I believe this infamous topic will keep popping up all over the Internet. Some of them may end up in a bloodbath. (; >w<)

Anyway, the one thing I can’t stand with dubs is butchery. Some studios like 4Kids and Disney as we all know, they edit out most of the Japanese cultural element (e.g. OP-ED dubbed, OST removed, forced-in jokes). Anime aired on TV aimed at younger audience are heavily edited, and most of them aren’t released uncut on DVD.

Dub fans prefer watching it in their own language and they don’t like to read subtitle. They also support anime by buying the products of R1 distributors, the companies who help spreading anime into the American culture. They also may recognize certain voice actors and all that.

The sub fans don’t want the creators' vision to be compromised by untrained English voice talents. Though, a lot of dubs are very well done (e.g. Spirited Away, Samurai Champloo). After watching sub after sub after sub, they’re used to watching anime in the original Japanese voice, thus automatically think anime is better that way.

Either dub or sub fans won’t understand each other’s perspective. Same old song every time, but sure everyone have their own reasons. Bottom line is, we all are anime fans and we should enjoy it regardless of matter of preference.
Oct 19, 2007 9:29 AM

Sep 2007
Goodness, subs for sure. I can't stand dubs. I personally think the seiyuus have a much better understanding of what the characters are going through and can more easily affect the watchers by giving the right emotion at the right time, saying the right thing the right way. Most of the time I feel that voice actors are either monotonous in their dialogue, or they sound too old for their roles (or too young), and can't quite capture the moment as well as their Japanese counterparts can.

But of course, that's just my preference. ^_^
Oct 19, 2007 10:34 AM

May 2007
Subbed, because they do really retarded things in dubs sometimes, or completely change characters. There are some exceptions, though. Studio Ghibli and Satoshi Kon films usually have pretty good dubs. I also liked the dubbing for Trigun and Cowboy Bebop.
Oct 19, 2007 11:15 AM

Jun 2007
I like both. Neither is perfect. Though I usually pick which version to watch by which actors are in it. I'm always up for watching a dub with one of my favorite actors in it.
Oct 19, 2007 11:17 AM

Oct 2007
Need to have a "Depends" vote up there, becuase it really does depend :P
Oct 19, 2007 11:19 AM

Oct 2007
Personally, i go for subbed. I just tend to feel more connected to characters/the story when its not dubbed. But that goes for anything in any language. If its not in its original language I don't like it as much.

Personally, i only half watch the subs because I am pretty familiar with the japanese language, but i'm nowhere near fluent so i need the subs incase they say something i cant recognize... but i do that when i watch french movies as well, and i studied french for years.

subs/raw.... is defenitely the way to go. i can't stomach dubbed anime, and if i can i only watch them AFTER i've watched the series subbed. like i have no problem watching NGE or FLCL dubbed, because i've watched both those series numerous times in japanese :)
Oct 19, 2007 12:59 PM

Aug 2007
There probably has been a thread like this since I feel that I'm answering this for the 4th or so time but I prefer subs on the majority unless the dub is particulary great.

Most of the times dubs tend to have the dodgy american teen accent or ones that don't suit the character at all.

Cowboy Bebop dub was brilliant though but I'd still prefer to watch it in Japanese.

Oct 19, 2007 1:29 PM

Aug 2007
always subbed
Oct 19, 2007 1:36 PM

Aug 2007
subbed since the voice actors for dubs are almost all the time high pitched and it gets on my nerves also I like to learn from subs.
Oct 19, 2007 3:37 PM

Feb 2007
Both...

LovelongSought said:
subbed since the voice actors for dubs are almost all the time high pitched and it gets on my nerves also I like to learn from subs.

What? Isn't it the other way around?
Oct 19, 2007 4:41 PM

May 2007
Subs....for the most part are much better. There are some however that are dubbed very well: Berserk, FMA, and basically all of Miyazaki's work...

Oct 19, 2007 5:50 PM

Sep 2007
SUBBED TILL DEATH!!!!!!!!!
Oct 19, 2007 6:47 PM

Jul 2007
It depends on the show, the voice talent in both languages, how well the script was adapted, whether I'm watching it with other people, (most of my friends prefer dubs) and my mood. The only cases in which I refuse to watch dubs are those that are severely edited, and even some of those are okay.

Asrialys said:

LovelongSought said:

Yeah, I have no idea how dubs can be called high-pitched compared to subs...

ChiBuki said:
Same old song every time, but sure everyone have their own reasons. Bottom line is, we all are anime fans and we should enjoy it regardless of matter of preference.

Amen!
AnomalousOct 19, 2007 6:51 PM

oh, these little earthquakes
Oct 19, 2007 7:45 PM

Aug 2007
Sub, I would watch RAW long before Dub, dubs are evil creations that should never exist
Oct 19, 2007 8:45 PM

Sep 2007
cloudtheclow said:
Sub, I would watch RAW long before Dub, dubs are evil creations that should never exist

Why? Why are they so bad? And remember, without dubs anime wouldn't be nearly as popular in western countries as they are now. Is that really so evil? Is it that evil when dubs are the reason why many prominent US television channels are airing more and more anime series?

Oh, and if dubs (by your definition) shouldn't exist then say goodbye to the Japanese versions of Afro Samurai, Makasete Aoi, Vampire Hunter D, Big O, and The Animatrix to name a few series that were dubbed in English first.
Oct 19, 2007 10:25 PM

Oct 2006
I generally watch subs since nothing can beat the original,
although I wouldn't mind watching animes like Le Chevalier, Scrapped Princess and Cowboy Beboy dubbed in english
And the dub for Spirited Away, IMO was excellent
Oct 19, 2007 10:54 PM

May 2006
Subs of course. Though I am getting to the point where my Japanese is good enough to watch some shows in RAW. So in a year or two I would probably say RAW ^^

Oct 19, 2007 11:44 PM

Aug 2006
cyruz said:
Hm, don't we have a topic like this already? Not sure. But anyway:
Sayuri said:
Subbed, always.

Yes this topic definitely smells familiar. A shame I'm to lazy to search all that hard for it.

Subs for me.
Oct 20, 2007 11:49 AM

Aug 2007
It's generally subs for me, but there are some good dubs out there that I like (FMA and s-CRY-ed come to mind)
Oct 20, 2007 2:08 PM

Oct 2007
I prefer subtitles. Anime is an art and by dubbing it someone else is tampering with the original artists' intentions. While some dubs turn out fine I'd rather just hear the show how it was meant to be heard by its creators.
Oct 20, 2007 2:37 PM

Sep 2007
Subbed. I'll only try out the dub once I finished the show (when curious I also watch Adult Swim).
Oct 20, 2007 3:05 PM

Oct 2007
Asrialys said:
Both...

LovelongSought said:

welll i think that comparing one to the other isnt what you need to do. If you compare the highpitched to the japense language and then compare it to american language, there are a TON of japanese girls who speak with higher pitched voices purposely to be "cute". My japanese friend ranted about it and how they were dumb trying to get attention when she attended school in japan over summer.

but in the english language, no one normallly talks with a high pitched voice, so for the dubbed to try and imitate the way that the japanese speakers speak is i guess a nice attempt but we're not used to hearing people speak high pitched like that. it's just a culture/language barrier thats hard to overcome.

but that happens with ANY dubbing, whether it be english to french/spanish, japanese to english.... the dubs never portray the original feel of the show/movie as well.
Oct 20, 2007 6:51 PM

Jun 2007
DivideByZero said:
I prefer subtitles. Anime is an art and by dubbing it someone else is tampering with the original artists' intentions. While some dubs turn out fine I'd rather just hear the show how it was meant to be heard by its creators.
Anime is not going to be displayed in the Louvre... Its entertainment. Hell! Most of the creators of the original story, the manga, game or light novel, don't get to work on the anime adaptation. Its not like fansubbers are the best translators in the world and happen to know what the "artists" intention when he wrote that piece of dialogue. They do their best, I hope, but its also tampering with the original intention.

Oct 20, 2007 8:54 PM

Jul 2007
DivideByZero said:

Arguably, the creators meant the viewers to watch it in their native language. :p And what about dubs that Japanese staff members had a hand in casting?

oh, these little earthquakes
Oct 20, 2007 8:59 PM
Jul 2007
Subbed and dubbed. I don't force myself to not watch something dubbed.
Oct 20, 2007 9:12 PM

Jul 2007
I really hate this debate. Both have their merits and their flaws. One format is never necessarily better than the other in all cases. That said I give both a fair shot when I can.

*doesn't vote, won't vote*
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Oct 20, 2007 9:15 PM

Apr 2007
Subbed always. There are only a few rare occasions that i may watch a dub, such as a studio ghibli film in cinemas, but if i had a option between the two, always sub.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 22, 2007 1:08 PM

Oct 2007
Sub Ftw.

Cowboy Bebop dub was brilliant though but I'd still prefer to watch it in Japanese.

Yes! I agree. It was brilliant. Before I witnessed the wonderful archive of anime on the internet, I was stuck to watching Dubs on TV. And I enjoyed them because there was no other =[. But I enjoyed some of them so much (Especially Cowboy Bebop) that i've sync'd with that version o_o.

And Studio Ghibli is a great example of nice dubbing n_n. One piece is an example of horrible gone wrong dubbing/censoring/ruining/bashing.

=D
Oct 22, 2007 1:11 PM

Oct 2007
Kakkun said:
And Studio Ghibli is a great example of nice dubbing n_n.

=D
Give me a GUN! We cannot allow dub to win in any form!! >=D
Oct 22, 2007 1:14 PM

Jul 2006
Subs. </3 dubs.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 22, 2007 1:19 PM

Jun 2007
the few amazing dubs > Most Subs > Most Dubs > HK subs.

As bad as some dubs are, i'd still rather hear that than have to read lines like "Oh you now go male?" (Id rather have bleeding ears and be able to understand whats going on than be led with terrible subs that hinder enjoyment even more)
Oct 22, 2007 1:21 PM

Oct 2007
Megadedhed said:
the few amazing dubs > Most Subs > Most Dubs > HK subs.

As bad as some dubs are, i'd still rather hear that than have to read lines like "Oh you now go male?" (Id rather have bleeding ears and be able to understand whats going on than be led with terrible subs that hinder enjoyment even more)
Well...it's what you get for watching an anime subbed by HK xD
Oct 22, 2007 1:27 PM

Jun 2007
KonaKona4 said:
Well...it's what you get for watching an anime subbed by HK xD

True XD

I still laugh that they changed "Akira" to "Ming"
Oct 22, 2007 1:46 PM

Apr 2007
subbed
Oct 22, 2007 2:20 PM

Oct 2007
Subs. It's not that dubs suck, it's just that a huge majority do suck.
Oct 22, 2007 4:40 PM

Aug 2007
I know what I like.
What I like is not best for everyone.
What I don't like is when a *insert favourite method of anime comprehension here* is done badly and ends up sucking.
Love And Peace For All.
The end.
Oct 22, 2007 7:29 PM

Sep 2007
KonaKona4 said:
Kakkun said:
And Studio Ghibli is a great example of nice dubbing n_n.

=D
Give me a GUN! We cannot allow dub to win in any form!! >=D

Or what? Admitting that there are good dubs will "tarnish" your "anime elitist" ideals?

Baka
Oct 22, 2007 7:34 PM

Jul 2007
I watch subs and raw but I chose raw 'cause I watch raw anime more than subbed anime. But because my Japanese is still at a pretty low level, I only watch the subs if the anime uses pretty big words e.g. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni/Kai (sorta) or Zombie-Loan. :/

But I think subs are way better than dubs because Japanese seiyuus sound way better than American voice actors/actresses. (: But in certain situations, dubs are pretty good too.

Subs still ftw. And so does raw.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (63) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» You truly don't care about anime MAL score/rank? Ooh cool, but... ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 21

95 by H-A-M-M-Y »»
5 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

66 by BatoKusanagi »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Best kind of relationship in anime?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

19 by BatoKusanagi »»
9 minutes ago

» How is anime doing in the UK these days?

VeryRedBags - 48 minutes ago

1 by MeanMrMusician »»
13 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - Apr 23

31 by BatoKusanagi »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.