Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) Episode 5 Discussion

Mar 12, 2015 11:27 AM

ChickenFry said:
k0k0 said:
Sorry if it sounded judgmental, I was actually speaking for my own self. Was it not for Fate/Zero, I wouldn't have put in my time with UBW and would've instead passed it off as a stupid, teen and angst ridden show.
As long as you enjoy it, watching order doesn't really matter. :)

Partly true. If you watch or read something purely for entertainment purposes, sure. Otherwise it does matter a lot.
Stev said:
ayy lmao

Mar 12, 2015 11:28 AM

CookingPriest said:
Insertanamehere said:

He's seen FZ.

Shirou learning more about Kiritsugu is relatively minor in UBW and not focused upon. He finds out a bit in Fate and more in HF.

^ Yep.
Fate is more about the "past".
UBW is more about Shirou himself and where he wants to go from where he is now. It has almost nothing to do with 4th war.
HF is all about living in the present.

HF probably has the most about Kiritsugu / the past in general, as far as I'm concerned.

@k0k0 Just have the attitude that I do and watch UBW in anticipation for well animated action sequences.
"When they're alive, you can enjoy watching them struggle. When they're dead, you can enjoy tearing out their guts. Tales are things you get to enjoy twice."

Mar 12, 2015 11:28 AM

k0k0 said:

Ps. I'm starting to feel I did well to watch /Zero first. Watching /SN seems more enjoyable. I'm trying to imagine if I'd watched this first--I'd have no feels everytime Kiritsugu, Kirei or Golden Bitch gained screen time.

Which would be correct.

You are not supposed to feel anything towards them, especially Kerry since (F/Z stuff)
. His role is literally "that person who saved Shirou from fire and then died"

Goldie at this point is supposed to be nothing more than a mystery(the viewer is not even sure if he's is a master, a simple redherring or something more, etc) and Kirei's role in this is

HungryPriest said:
ChickenFry said:

Partly true. If you watch or read something purely for entertainment purposes, sure. Otherwise it does matter a lot.

^This.
Context of a lot of things can get very wrong interpretations in different watching order, not to mention placing expectations in the characters the show does not even expect you to expect anything out of.

Mar 12, 2015 11:29 AM

ChickenFry said:

Much true! :) But I feel that Fate/ induces auras which surpass the sole desire of entertainment. It's a genius universe, to say the least.

Mar 12, 2015 11:30 AM

CookingPriest said:
k0k0 said:

Ps. I'm starting to feel I did well to watch /Zero first. Watching /SN seems more enjoyable. I'm trying to imagine if I'd watched this first--I'd have no feels everytime Kiritsugu, Kirei or Golden Bitch gained screen time.

Which would be correct.

You are not supposed to feel anything towards them, especially Kerry since (F/Z stuff)
. His role is literally "that person who saved Shirou from fire and then died"

Goldie at this point is supposed to be nothing more than a mystery(the viewer is not even sure if he's is a master, a simple redherring or something more, etc) and Kirei's role in this is

Modified by ijuka, Mar 12, 2015 11:33 AM
"When they're alive, you can enjoy watching them struggle. When they're dead, you can enjoy tearing out their guts. Tales are things you get to enjoy twice."

Mar 12, 2015 11:31 AM
something here

ijuka said:

FZ spoilers
Same story for like 500 other things.

....This is the episode discussion thread. >_> Spoiler that shit.

Mar 12, 2015 11:32 AM

Insertanamehere said:
ijuka said:

This is a spoilered thread, those F/Z spoilers are spoiled in FSN so I don't know if it's necessary.
Same story for like 500 other things.

....This is the episode discussion thread. >_> Spoiler that shit.

Yeah I realized it :P

Mar 12, 2015 11:33 AM

HungryPriest said:
ChickenFry said:

So what is the purpose of anime in general? Education?

Mar 12, 2015 11:35 AM

k0k0 said:
Sorry if it sounded judgmental, I was actually speaking for my own self. Was it not for Fate/Zero, I wouldn't have put in my time with UBW and would've instead passed it off as a stupid, teen and angst ridden show.
like i said personal taste. you can watch it however you want, fans are just helping newcomers try to enjoy it as best as they can and bring clarity to confusion.

Mar 12, 2015 11:38 AM

ijuka said:
@k0k0 Just have the attitude that I do and watch UBW in anticipation for well animated action sequences.

And that, lol. Every time I think of expressing a sentiment, I think again if it might contain anything that might provoke the Priests to shoot me with an RPG.
As far as it goes for me, I've been watching all this for purely entertainment purposes.

CookingPriest said:
His role is literally "that person who saved Shirou from fire and then died"

But then isn't it more powerful if the viewer knows that wasn't the whole story? I mean, from my perspective, I'm actually learning a lot more about what Kerry did after he settled down with Shirou, as opposed to being introduced to some minor foster father who left the protagonist unheeded.

Context of a lot of things can get very wrong interpretations in different watching order, not to mention placing expectations in the characters the show does not even expect you to expect anything out of.

And that is exactly what is happening with me. But then doesn't this make our sentiments five times stronger and, therefore, the show more enjoyable? The viewer may not be surprised by many revelations, but he would be eagerly awaiting that same reaction from the current characters. This, in itself, is one way of enjoyment in my opinion.

Mar 12, 2015 11:40 AM

k0k0 said:
ijuka said:

And that, lol. Every time I think of expressing a sentiment, I think again if it might contain anything that might provoke the Priests to shoot me with an RPG.
As far as it goes for me, I've been watching all this for pure entertainment purposes.

CookingPriest said:

But then isn't it more powerful if the viewer knows that wasn't the whole story? I mean, from my perspective, I'm actually learning a lot more about what Kerry did after he settled down with Shirou, as opposed to being introduced to some minor foster father who left the protagonist unheeded.

And that is exactly what is happening with me. But then doesn't this make our sentiments five times stronger and, therefore, the show more enjoyable? The viewer may not be surprised by many revelations, but he would be eagerly awaiting that same reaction from the current characters. This, in itself, is one way of enjoyment in my opinion.

f/z spoilers

Mar 12, 2015 11:41 AM
something here

But you learn the truth of the matter in Fate, if we're talking about Kerry here.

Mar 12, 2015 11:42 AM

nocorras said:
It's more powerful in the VN because y ou learn things in different routes and then HF throws you a shocker. It's a wtf moment.

Yes, you must be right. But then VN also had many explicit scenes that might have taken away from the enjoyment factor for me.

Mar 12, 2015 11:44 AM

Insertanamehere said:
But you learn the truth of the matter in Fate, if we're talking about Kerry here.

f/zero spoilers

Mar 12, 2015 11:45 AM

ChickenFry said:
HungryPriest said:

Some anime are pure entertainment. Some anime have deeper purpose. It's an art, after all, it's purpose is to enrich us. In what way, it depends on the anime in question.

Say that there's a picture where the artist wanted to convey a message. We can simply enjoy the picture for it beauty or we could invest more in understanding it and learn about the autor himself, his time, place, circumstances, etc. and through that figure out the message. Depends on our priorities, what is more important to us.
Stev said:
ayy lmao

Mar 12, 2015 11:47 AM

k0k0 said:
ijuka said:

As far as it goes for me, I've been watching all this for purely entertainment purposes.

CookingPriest said:

it's all your suppose to think until it's revealed. most series dont just up and hand you all it's cookies right away look at steins;gate. or even trigun the shit didnt hit the fan until like ep 10. of course if this gives you more enjoyment then by all means.

Mar 12, 2015 11:52 AM

Maloghurst said:
it's all your suppose to think until it's revealed. most series dont just up and hand you all it's cookies right away look at steins;gate. or even trigun the shit didnt hit the fan until like ep 10. of course if this gives you more enjoyment then by all means.

It does, but you're correct as well: I think entertainment can be derived in many different forms from the Fate/ series, all depending on what you watch first and what last.
My form of watching depends heavily on you all, in one sense, to constantly guide me where I see black holes in the story.

Mar 12, 2015 12:01 PM

k0k0 said:
CookingPriest said:

The thing is, whole VN is designed around it giving reader a piece by piece of the story and having reader slowly form a complete picture out of those pieces. Kiritsugu's backstory is such as well, with Shirou's and Saber's contradicting memories of Kiritsugu indicating that there's more about Kiritsugu than reader's let to know, with the final piece finally being given in HF to form a complete picture of Kiritsugu.
F/SN is quite good at leading you to think one thing and then throwing a shocker in there for the lulz.

After F/SN picture is formed, you then get F/Z to see how the whole situation came to being.
astroprogs said:
If HF ended up being a single movie, what would it need to do so it can get a high score from all of you?

Not air.

Mar 12, 2015 12:12 PM

Aurioch said:
The thing is, whole VN is designed around it giving reader a piece by piece of the story and having reader slowly form a complete picture out of those pieces. Kiritsugu's backstory is such as well, with Shirou's and Saber's contradicting memories of Kiritsugu indicating that there's more about Kiritsugu than reader's let to know, with the final piece finally being given in HF to form a complete picture of Kiritsugu.
F/SN is quite good at leading you to think one thing and then throwing a shocker in there for the lulz.

After F/SN picture is formed, you then get F/Z to see how the whole situation came to being.

Yes, I can imagine that. Watching /Zero after would've brought more reaction from me upon Kiritsugu's character. This is one of the greater revelations that I've missed out on, sadly.

Mar 12, 2015 12:26 PM

HungryPriest said:
ChickenFry said:

Some anime are pure entertainment. Some anime have deeper purpose. It's an art, after all, it's purpose is to enrich us. In what way, it depends on the anime in question.

Say that there's a picture where the artist wanted to convey a message. We can simply enjoy the picture for it beauty or we could invest more in understanding it and learn about the autor himself, his time, place, circumstances, etc. and through that figure out the message. Depends on our priorities, what is more important to us.

Well yeah, but when making an anime, what is the most important for a studio?

Answer: Making the viewers entertained and getting money.

What comes after is just the result of 2 things above.

This is not pure art. Anime is an industry.

Mar 12, 2015 12:59 PM

ChickenFry said:
HungryPriest said:

Well yeah, but when making an anime, what is the most important for a studio?

Answer: Making the viewers entertained and getting money.

What comes after is just the result of 2 things above.

This is not pure art. Anime is an industry.

What does any of that got to do with what I said? Are you saying that animes are devoid of anything deep in them? That studios don't care at all about the original work when doing adaptations? That's a very shallow point of view.

Movie industry. Music industry. Anime industry. They all contain both the mindless entertainment and the more intellectual pieces of art.

And what is this "pure art"? When does something become pure art? Good or bad, it is still art.
Stev said:
ayy lmao

Jul 6, 2015 4:18 PM
Free Shrugs

Sure Shirou, let's fight the more-powerful-than-a-human servant with a stick and with a disabled arm while losing blood rapidly.

Sure, let's go to the house of someone who was trying to kill you 30 minutes ago.

Let's be real. If Emiya didn't have plot armor, he'd be the first to die with his stupidity

Jul 7, 2015 1:22 AM

RedTie47 said:
Sure Shirou, let's fight the more-powerful-than-a-human servant with a stick and with a disabled arm while losing blood rapidly.

To take attention from Rin and allow her to actually get the injured person away instead of them all being a target? Why not.

Sure, let's go to the house of someone who was trying to kill you 30 minutes ago.

He knows she would not have gone through with it.

Let's be real. If Emiya didn't have plot armor, he'd be the first to die with his stupidity

There's zero plot armor.

Jul 7, 2015 7:16 AM

RedTie47 said:

you think rin is such a bitch that she wouldnt even show graditude to shirou after he saved her ass from getting head shotted?

you think shirou should have just sat there with rin and let the "attacker" continue to take sniping shots at them? i do understand the anime left out shirou's line about "something's not right here" but that's a whole dif cna of worms...

plot armor? not really CIS would be the better choice of words since the actions being taken are from characer motive and some character motives wont be revealed until next adaptation..you could say it's a flaw of transfering UBW from it's VN format but UFO announced Heaven's feel the same day they announced UBW so it should aleviate most of the missing content.....hopefuly.....

Jul 23, 2015 4:11 AM

S-chan has arrived~

Oct 6, 2015 5:47 AM

Awesome

Oct 8, 2015 5:15 AM

I officially declare that one of the best things in this adaptation are Rin's expressions.

Nov 30, 2015 8:04 PM

dat rider

Oh maybe, maybe it's the clothes we wear
The tasteless bracelets and the dye in our hair
Or maybe, maybe it's our nowhere towns or our nothing places
But we're trash, you and me
We're the litter on the breeze
We're the lovers on the streets
Just trash, me and you
It's in everything we do
It's in everything we do

Dec 3, 2015 11:08 AM
the fight was so cool, damn Rin and her gandr shots are so cool, and of course Rider who was the best thing in this episode

May 20, 2016 8:33 PM

DAT RIDER! I'd love to RIDEHER!

Unfortunately, I can't call her best Rider any more, but she's still best female rider.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).

Oct 9, 2016 9:54 AM

Fate/stay night : Children

Confirmed the fourth master, another school children. Presumably, it can be the master of Rider of one of the brother´s Matou, bet for the shy sakura...

Hello, my litte boy!

Oct 30, 2016 12:47 PM

Hmm I'm guessing he is talking about his step dad.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.

Mar 12, 2017 9:46 AM

Sure Tohsaka, request a truce after you failed to kill him... bitch :P
Best girl appears, damn Rider looks awesome in this <3

Apr 15, 2017 10:50 PM

Great episode. Finally Rider appears!!! I'm surprised Emiya was able to took that blow on his arm. Can't wait for the next episode!

Apr 30, 2017 10:42 AM

RIDERRRRRRRRRRRR <333333333333 I was waiting til she appeared C:
She looked so cool in the opening :D

I'm glad Rin decided to attack Shirou. He IS dumb =____= AND annoying for being so weak yet not taking precautions to having Saber around, even if she has to hide on the outside of the school

May 4, 2017 2:12 AM

Kokoro_Inuzuka said:
He IS dumb =____= AND annoying for being so weak yet not taking precautions to having Saber around, even if she has to hide on the outside of the school

What makes him dumb? Rin is the one trying to blow up half the school out of sheer bias and impulse even though Shirou knows she does not have it in her.

Just what precautions could he have taken to having Saber around? He knows how magi work. They would not attack a public location in broad daylight unless they want a death sentence passed upon them by Association.

May 6, 2017 9:35 PM

Fai said:
Kokoro_Inuzuka said:
He IS dumb =____= AND annoying for being so weak yet not taking precautions to having Saber around, even if she has to hide on the outside of the school

What makes him dumb? Rin is the one trying to blow up half the school out of sheer bias and impulse even though Shirou knows she does not have it in her.

Just what precautions could he have taken to having Saber around? He knows how magi work. They would not attack a public location in broad daylight unless they want a death sentence passed upon them by Association.

Rin wouldn't reveal herself as a mage like that unless she was fine with slaughtering the whole school for being witnesses. Obviously she isn't insane like that because it shows her personality has a caring side. She's also more experienced by miles-- starting magic at a young age. I'm sure she knows what she's doing and even if it WAS out of impulse, it's only for her to come out on top. She can't have him thinking she's his "friend" by going easy on him. Nobody was there and Shirou is way too pacifist to be taking part in this, which is exactly why everyone targets him first-- the weakest link.

Yes, Saber can't dematerialize like Archer can, but just have her patrolling outside the perimeters of school grounds yet close enough to sense any danger that happens to him.

May 6, 2017 10:06 PM

-Great episode :3

Jan 7, 2018 11:53 PM

Having Saber hang around outside of the school would have been helpful. She can probably easily hop the fence if she senses any magical energy and swoop in to save Shiro. Oh well at least Rider showed up in this episode.

Sep 14, 2018 5:52 AM

Introducing, once again, Rider. Ahh oh how I miss her ~

A little skirmish between Shirou and Rin but glad to see they made up

WTF face on point haha!

Nov 5, 2018 1:32 PM

I'm glad this version of Shirou isnt annoying as Studio DEEN's.

Rider's got thighs now?! Oh boy *continuously fans self*

Jan 2, 11:33 AM
I'm starting to think whole F/SN would be much better if it happened 20 years after the last Holy Grail War. Having fellow high school students meeting years after graduation in a deadly battle instead of yet another fantasy romance comedy.

Jan 11, 6:02 AM

Shirou needs to be more careful. Rin almost killed him.
Life has no meaning.

Mar 22, 5:35 PM
Shirou is rather laid back about the fact that there are 5-6 master + 5-6 servants out there that want to kill him.
And Rin announces that she will kill him as if it's nothing. I still can't wrap my mind around the mentality of the people in this story.

So we have families that were mages for generations and then the youngest generation risks to let the whole heritage disappear for the sake of the grail wars.

I think the whole "fight until death" thing of the story makes it ridiculous. One moment it's all super serious, then the characters act all friendly again as if nothing ever happened. They should have limited the killing to the servants.
Once the servant was defeated, you are out and that's it.

And we met the second servant that indirectly said that their masters are cowards.
Modified by tr25a3, Mar 22, 6:09 PM

Jun 15, 8:04 AM

All Shirou need to do was protect her so she doesn't kill her, lol.
If 1 = 2, then everything is good.

Sep 8, 6:29 AM

It felt a bit rushed tbh. But still good.

Sep 22, 6:27 AM

hmmm finally a truce...now that's more like it... five servants introduced two to go

Nov 1, 11:21 PM

Shiro finally did something useful

Pages (18) « First ... « 16 17 [18]