Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 9, 2008 5:10 AM

Dec 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So what did you think about this episode?

they show how a strange person comes to planet earth looking for someone named Kakorat (Goku). so i think this episode was pretty cool, a very good beginning :)

So tell us what you think :)
LunaDec 6, 2013 4:20 AM
Mar 30, 2008 11:48 PM
Nov 2007
Raditz is awesome! :)
Apr 1, 2008 1:54 PM

Oct 2007
Just hope that they remake this series... <.< i will buy the original dvd for that
Jul 8, 2008 9:34 AM

May 2008
Funny episode with Goku looking for Gohan but nothing compared to the other episodes

"Why do women have butts on their chests?" Son Goku
Dec 27, 2008 7:15 AM

Dec 2008
well i didnt realy like Raditz, but he is realy storng i give him that ^-^
+ he is Gokus brother, even though he is bad, he was kinda cool in some way ^-^
++ it was realy funny to watch Gohan all lost and everything ^-^ heh
Oct 14, 2011 8:29 PM

Apr 2010
Raditz....yea....not much to say about him lol

Nov 15, 2013 8:29 AM

May 2012
Quite a nice beginning I must say, love to see Goku and ChiChi had a pretty cute child :p and funny part him having the same name as his grandfather! We also directly see Piccolo and Vegeta as it seems who's searching for Goku? That short flashback sure was interesting!

Pretty nice start I must say, really nice continuation on the first series, so lets see what this series has to offer! Can't wait to see Bulma and the others again and to see that Gohan will become as strong as Goku!
Nov 28, 2013 5:38 PM
Sep 2010
Just finished Dragon Ball and now starting Dragon Ball Z. Never watched the series as a child but now I wish I did. Even though it's the first episode I'm enjoying it so far. Very curious about Goku's past.
Uploader53
Dec 6, 2013 2:23 AM

Jun 2009
I also just finished Dragon Ball. I have already seen a lot of Dragon Ball Z but I think it is time for refresher as that was quite a long time ago. At the time of watching through Dragon Ball I had never seen an episode and I loved almost every minute of it, I hope I can say the same of DBZ. This episode was pretty good, Kid Gohan is almost a complete polar opposite of Kid Goku. I think Gohan has cried more this episode than Goku ever did in the entirety of Dragon Ball. Anyway, this sure is going to be fun!
Jan 10, 2014 4:14 PM

Dec 2013
I have also just recently finished Dragoon Ball, now time for this! I was a little surprised that they introduced the first antagonist so early. I thought they would give it an episode or two before villains appeared. He sure seems powerful, and it should be interesting when he meats Goku. Goku's son was cute, but definitely much different they Goku was when he was little. Based on what I heard, this isn't as good as Dragon Ball so my expectations aren't as high, but hopefully it will glue me to my computer screen like DB did. Its going to be a really long series...
Mar 29, 2014 7:13 AM

Jun 2009
Well, it's finally time to start this. Alot of focus on Gohan, who is indeed a very different kid from how Goku was. Fairly likable, though. I remember one of the best things about the series being Gohan's growth so I'm looking forward to that.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 24, 2015 4:13 AM

Apr 2014
Nice to see Son Goku's son Son Gohan hunting for adventures but at same time being a crying kid that desires his parents. He has a tail like Son Goku in earlier days and a hat with a Dragon Ball. I think this was the Dragon Ball from Son Goku's grandfather Son Gohan.

Meanwhile a strange person, not from the earth, hunting Kakarott. But he finds Piccolo who is no match for him. In the last moment the person leaves Piccolo because he found Kakarott's position with his scouter. Btw, I don't like the idea of power levels in numbers.

And the opening Cha-La Head-Cha-La is pure classic, one of the best in history!
Jan 12, 2016 10:53 AM

Aug 2013
Time to re-watch DBZ, even thought I'm pretty sure a large chunk of this episode was filler it was still nice for establishing Gohan's character.
Feb 10, 2017 12:45 AM

Nov 2010
Ah, so Goku has a son here, interesting. i wonder if Gohan will have a huge part in the story or not.

And finally i get to know more about the word Sayan.
Apr 22, 2018 6:17 AM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
I always hated the fact that Ghan was so whiny .___.

May 26, 2019 12:47 PM
Mar 2019
As cute as young gohan is with his Chinese clothing and dragon ball hat, his dad Goku was even more cuter as a child imo.
Feb 2, 2020 5:39 AM

Nov 2013
Found a torrent of the dragon boxes with the Faulconer score attached, should be a lot of fun. quality is definitely a lot better than the prequel so far
Mar 10, 2020 5:05 PM
Jan 2020
it might just be something with the version i'm watching but this looks leagues better than the original dragon balk, much more colorful. the actual episode was a bit long and drawn out, and i have a feeling that i'm going to say that a lot in this series. i like how this show usually introduces it's villains, they have them face the previous villain and the previous villain gets slaughtered. a bit predictable but its always entertaining to me especially when they do it creatively.
May 13, 2020 8:22 PM
Jun 2019
Yiuumii said:
I like that touch to his character. It makes him more relatable later down the line.
May 13, 2020 8:23 PM
Jun 2019
Gooberb8 said:
it might just be something with the version i'm watching but this looks leagues better than the original dragon balk, much more colorful. the actual episode was a bit long and drawn out, and i have a feeling that i'm going to say that a lot in this series. i like how this show usually introduces it's villains, they have them face the previous villain and the previous villain gets slaughtered. a bit predictable but its always entertaining to me especially when they do it creatively.
Where are you watching the show?
Jun 14, 2020 12:04 AM
Jun 2020
This first episode was decent and calm. l love the part where Goku's son was lost, it really gave me a laugh or two.
Jun 14, 2020 12:05 AM
Jun 2020
This first episode was decent and calm. l love the part where Goku's son was lost, it really gave me a laugh or two.
Jul 1, 2020 6:18 PM
Jul 2018
Well, well, it seems that innocent and pure Goku is now a father. Ah, while he is pure in heart, physically, that's a different matter entirely. Just how did Chi-Chi manage to guide Goku through the birds and the bees and have a baby with him? I would certainly love to know that. Goku is too naive to know and understand such sexual fornications. Regardless, Goku and Chi-chi named their son, Gohan, after Goku's foster grandfather. I noticed that Gohan is wearing the same clothes as him, but obviously, in a much shorter size and even the 4-star dragon ball, that grandpa Gohan, gifted Goku as a keepsake, on top of his head. It is as if Gohan is carrying the love and adoration Goku has for his grandfather. That's pretty sweet. Amusingly, Gohan acts much different than Goku when he was a small boy.

This new mysterious alien incomer is interesting. From what I can gather, Goku, who apparently belongs to the Saiyan race, was sent to Earth in some sort of mission, perhaps to annihilate the human race? If so, that's quite the burden to pass to a small baby creature. Were they this confident that a seemingly tiny boy, with enough self-training, was enough to wipe off an entire planet or something? And Kakarot? I take it that's Goku's real name.

Sep 26, 2020 12:36 PM
May 2019
An interesting first episode. We are already introduced to what seems to be a very powerful enemy. Even more powerful than Piccolo, it seems. Gohan is quite sweet though - just like Goku.
Oct 9, 2020 8:49 PM

Nov 2018
I'm super stoked to start DBZ, it's gonna be a good ride.

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Oct 22, 2020 5:36 AM
Jul 2018
I originally watched Kai when I as a kid so I'm wondering how DBZ is gonna be different, we'll see if they kill Raditz off even quicker this time haha. So far it's been good, it had a lot of really cool landscape shots and the music is so on point and much more lively than most other animes I've seen. Not too over the top with the humor or anything. I can see why this is so popular, it's already pretty strong without even getting too deep into the storyline.

Also, it's so weird watching the opening and not hearing the Budokai opening over it.

But the old opening is badass too so whatever

Also strange that so little people have talked in this thread, expected a ton of people talking about nostalgia tbh
Nov 13, 2020 2:49 PM
May 2020
Great way to start the new Dragon Ball series! Absolutely loving the anime so far!
Nov 13, 2020 2:49 PM
May 2020
Wow. What a good start to the next Dragon Ball series! Also, Vegeta, great character!
Dec 31, 2020 2:48 PM

Mar 2011
Okay episode. I wouldn't call it a good start because of Gohan part (quite boring), but the Raditz part was quite interesting. I also find interesting the power level measurement/representation.
FrezlajDec 31, 2020 3:35 PM
Feb 18, 2021 6:32 PM
Jul 2018
Yiuumii said:

XD, I forgot how whiny he was.
Feb 20, 2021 11:33 AM

Oct 2020
Wow!! This episode went over my expectations. Pretty intense one. The new villain is very powerful (I just assumed him as villain). Looks like Piccolo got lucky here. Junior Piccolo was no match for him. This new guy is on another level and he can calculate it. And that Kakarot seems like Goku. If Goku it is then Piccolo was luckier than ever.

I like the old things. Even 5 years later they are same just Goku now have a son. Gohan is not courageous like his father but he is definitely strong. I like his hat though. Glad to see them again.
Sep 3, 2021 9:29 PM
Sep 2021
Esta bien me gusto
Sep 3, 2021 9:29 PM
Sep 2021
Me gustó mucho es muy buena
Jan 18, 2022 3:37 AM

Oct 2009
Goku stayed pure riding his kin-to-un after having a son :P
Jun 11, 2022 7:58 AM
Sep 2021
Just an FYI for anyone rewatching this as an adult. There are multiple versions of the show at this moment.

If you want to watch the one that's closest to the one we grew up with as kids, know that there's 2 versions of the funimation dubs.

1. One with the original japanese music/tracks.
2. The other one has the Bruce Faulconer tracks which has the electric guitar playing when the narrator finishes recapping and they put up the episode name up. It's the one that made DBZ feel so epic as a kid. If you want to watch the same version you saw as a kid in the US, this is the one you want.

I was watching the funimation dubs with the original Japanese tracks for a while now. I got to the episode when...
...and I was absolutely sure something just felt wrong about it because it just wasn't how I remembered it. And thinking about it, the whole sound track just felt wrong, even though the character voices were the same. And that's how I found out.

There's also other versions in this early stage like the Ocean Dubs(the Canadian version that has the "it's over 9000" line). The dubbing for this stops at around episode 60 if I'm not mistaken.

But Anyways, just make sure to know which version you want before jumping in.
SuperSaiyan56789Jun 11, 2022 8:11 AM
Oct 11, 2023 4:50 PM
Oct 2023
Trop cool vraiment c'est top
Nov 16, 2023 4:19 PM
Nov 2020
Goku literally could of gone in the tunnel to save Gohan, wierd writing
Mar 22, 2:26 AM

Jun 2020
It's only been 5 days since I finished Dragonball. I told myself I wouldn't watch DBZ due to the power level absurdity, disregarding of certain characters, and dumb fillers... but I love this series so much I need to watch more.

Gohan is so cute, you can tell he is the perfect mix of Goku and Chichi. That scene where he accidently scared the tiger by chasing it reminded me of something his mother would do, and speaking of that tiger it jumpscared the shit out of me LMAO.

It feels so weird to see Goku have a kid. For someone who was so focused on fighting in the original DB i never imagined his simple mind could care for a kid, but something about his innocent love for Gohan is so sweet to me. He deserves to be in a happy family after all he went through in DB.

We will finally learn the truth of the SAIYANS. Still watching in sub by the way.

Apr 1, 11:00 PM
Dec 2022
ITS DRAGON BALL TIME YEAAAAAAAA

Ok I really like the opening

Goku raaa

I think im gonna watch this and kai I forget what my friend recommened

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 224 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - Nov 24, 2013

9 by Berry-Vodka »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 223 Discussion

12 by Berry-Vodka »»
9 hours ago

» Bruce Faulconer Score

jas-samaaa - Apr 15

5 by Notshane »»
Apr 15, 5:32 PM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 214 Discussion

11 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 12, 4:05 PM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 208 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - Nov 23, 2013

13 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 10, 3:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.