New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Nov 2, 2014 5:45 PM

Nov 2013
If it doesn't have fanservice
Nov 2, 2014 5:47 PM

Jun 2013
JumpinJackSplash said:
Pacing - If you find an anime boring because of slow pace, then you probably lack patience. The plot is always progressing in anime (if it's not a filler episode, or if it's not an episodic anime).
You haven't watched One Piece lately..
Nov 2, 2014 5:54 PM

Apr 2012
-Klad- said:
Bland characters and terrible OSTs
and horrible pacing, and uninteresting way of animation
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Nov 2, 2014 5:57 PM
Nov 2013
It depends entertainment can be subjective, there are people who are fine with slow paced anime, but some who instantly quit because it's not fast paced, I'm fine with both, but I'd say area 88 was the most boring series I've ever seen, it set its plot, repeated its plot with small variants, and hardly ever had a big change, I suppose I need some development for it not to be boring, ofc it has to acquire to my tastes as well.
Nov 2, 2014 6:03 PM

Aug 2014
What bores me the most is fillers done wrong, a episode doesn't have to drive the story forward if it's still entertaining. Sadly enough most fillers follow this concept: boring people meet protagonist, boring people are in truble, three episodes later protagonist finally saves boring people.

A filler done right, in my opinion, is the one in One Piece where the crew lands in the middle of a marine base after Sky Island. The bizzare situation that they were in, interesting characters and top notch humor is what made that filler golden.
Nov 2, 2014 6:06 PM

Aug 2014
JumpinJackSplash said:

Pacing - If you find an anime boring because of slow pace, then you probably lack patience. The plot is always progressing in anime (if it's not a filler episode, or if it's not an episodic anime).

You can't blame a lack of patience when an anime is progressing slower than a snail who's asleep, right?
Nov 2, 2014 6:09 PM
Sep 2014
Unnecessary fanservice. Slow pacing, too. Basically, nothing else...
Nov 2, 2014 6:12 PM

Oct 2014
QuattroVaginas said:
Older animation, lack of fanservice, exposition, mundane hair colors, philosophy, no mecha, mundane iris colors, deficiency of tropes, Lain, any sort of babble, more than 26 episodes, and no comedy. I think that's all.

There's a great irony brewing here; doubt anyone will get it though.
SightScreenNov 2, 2014 9:22 PM
Nov 2, 2014 6:18 PM
Dec 2013
AnimeSweden said:
JumpinJackSplash said:
You haven't watched One Piece lately..

I have; just haven't caught up to the latest episode yet.
Nov 2, 2014 6:18 PM

Jan 2012
Above all I'd say if I can't find any characters I really like. If I don't care about any of them it can't help but be boring, at least over a prolonged time.
Nov 2, 2014 7:22 PM

Jul 2013
My answer is the same as every others (story, ost, pacing, characters, etc.)
If it's well executed, I could still enjoy even if it's 90% talking (Death Note for example).
But if it's bad, bad characters, bad pacing, bad plot, etc. Give me 80% action and I'd still find it boring. *cough couch SAO*
Nov 2, 2014 7:24 PM

Jul 2012
Being a school SoL with drama and not being mecha
הלב שלי כבר מת
Nov 2, 2014 7:37 PM
Jul 2018
For me, the main hook is usually feeling a connection with the characters. A good plot can keep me watching, but if I don't develop an emotional investment over time then I will lose interest.
Nov 2, 2014 8:40 PM

Mar 2012
The only show I've found to be completely unbearably mind numbingly boring is Mahouka.

Cliched story with no creativity, cliched cast with no personality, dull and lifeless animation, embarrassingly brief action scenes, uninspired setting and a pointlessly convoluted magic system that adds nothing to the development of either of the latter only serving give the show a false air of sophistication and intelligence when the characters ramble on about it for 3 quarters of the episode

It's dumb and generic like the sort of forgettable garbage you can find in just about any anime season. But even stuff like Index and Strike the Blood have a certain charm to them. What makes Mahouka so boring is that it constantly pretends that it's above stuff like without actually doing or saying anything to the contrary.
Nov 2, 2014 9:17 PM

Jun 2012
If the ost in the show is garbage.
Nov 2, 2014 9:32 PM

Nov 2011
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Lack of interestingness

Spoken like a true scholar. :p

OT: Lack of plot development and/or flat characters are the primary offenders for me. An overabundance of clichés without any differentiation will likely bore me as well, even if the execution is good. Slow pacing in itself doesn't bother me unless it keeps much from happening in single episodes. A great deal of dialogue doesn't bother me either so long as it's relevant, meaningful, or witty. I don't rely on action alone for enjoyment. Comedy often fails to entertain me, so it's a hit or miss situation there.

I think that covers most of the bases.
TripleSRankNov 2, 2014 9:46 PM
Nov 2, 2014 9:43 PM

Jul 2014
No plot and the characters all suck.

Which is why I barely watch any SoL.
Nov 2, 2014 9:45 PM

Oct 2013
SeibaaPriest said:
The only show I've found to be completely unbearably mind numbingly boring is Mahouka.

Cliched story with no creativity, cliched cast with no personality, dull and lifeless animation, embarrassingly brief action scenes, uninspired setting and a pointlessly convoluted magic system that adds nothing to the development of either of the latter only serving give the show a false air of sophistication and intelligence when the characters ramble on about it for 3 quarters of the episode

It's dumb and generic like the sort of forgettable garbage you can find in just about any anime season. But even stuff like Index and Strike the Blood have a certain charm to them. What makes Mahouka so boring is that it constantly pretends that it's above stuff like without actually doing or saying anything to the contrary.

From hype to flop. I remember this series getting a lot of hype saying it will be the next "big thing." Then we have LN fans telling us it does get better. That sadly didn't happen. :(
Nov 2, 2014 10:04 PM

Aug 2013
keragamming said:
SeibaaPriest said:

From hype to flop. I remember this series getting a lot of hype saying it will be the next "big thing." Then we have LN fans telling us it does get better. That sadly didn't happen. :(
You dropped it before even reaching the Yokohama Disturbance arc where all the action is.
Nov 2, 2014 10:04 PM

Dec 2013
Well for me I get bored of an anime when there is no drama or story development happening. I also get bored if the characters are just typical cut-outs and have overused character tropes.
Nov 2, 2014 10:23 PM

Oct 2013
DrGeroCreation said:
keragamming said:

You dropped it before even reaching the Yokohama Disturbance arc where all the action is.

Took too long to impress, not watching. Have better things to watch.
Nov 2, 2014 10:33 PM

Aug 2013
keragamming said:

Suit yourself then but keep in mind that every anime can't have action every single episode .

OT. The anime movie Sky Crawlers http://myanimelist.net/anime/3089/The_Sky_Crawlers imo is what clearly defines boring to me (it is the only anime movie I have ever felt like dropping while watching). Snail pace plot, completely uninteresting characters, mundane slice of life scenes that don't contribute to the plot whatsoever, no focus on the enemy at all.
DrGeroCreationNov 3, 2014 12:11 AM
Nov 2, 2014 10:49 PM

Oct 2013
DrGeroCreation said:
keragamming said:

Suit yourself then but keep in mind that every anime can't have action every single episode .

OT. The anime movie Sky Crawlers http://myanimelist.net/anime/3089/The_Sky_Crawlers imo is what clearly defines boring to me (it is the only anime movie I have ever felt like dropping while watching). Snail pace plot, completely uninteresting characters, mundance slice of life scenes that don't contribute to the plot whatsoever, no focus on the enemy at all.

It's ironic that the the top 2 reviews gave it a 9.
Nov 2, 2014 10:54 PM

Oct 2008
Info dumping,constantly switching tones from serious to light-hearted,complete lack of creativity....
Nov 2, 2014 10:56 PM

Dec 2012
I actually find action boring most of the time, since I find it repetitive. That of course depends on each series, but mindless action (Guns firing around, swords clashing over and over again, lack of choreography, explosions) is one of the most boring things in any story telling medium.

I'm always baffled when a lot of people think action can never be boring, and that everything else is boring. An recent example of this, is Fate/SN UBW and F/Z.

Other things that bores me:
Slow pacing
Slow plot progression
Episodic narrative
Magic
Demons
tsudecimoNov 2, 2014 11:00 PM
Nov 2, 2014 11:00 PM

Jan 2013
cringeworthy animation (i.e. fairy tail 2014)
cringeworthy cliches (can't name a specific one off the top of my head...)
cringeworthy characters (lolis, tsunderes)
cringeworthy art (dragon ball)
Nov 2, 2014 11:09 PM

Aug 2013
keragamming said:
DrGeroCreation said:

OT. The anime movie Sky Crawlers http://myanimelist.net/anime/3089/The_Sky_Crawlers imo is what clearly defines boring to me (it is the only anime movie I have ever felt like dropping while watching). Snail pace plot, completely uninteresting characters, mundance slice of life scenes that don't contribute to the plot whatsoever, no focus on the enemy at all.

It's ironic that the the top 2 reviews gave it a 9.
I guess they really liked it (for reasons that I cannot fathom) but I however found it extremely boring.
DrGeroCreationNov 2, 2014 11:14 PM
Nov 2, 2014 11:24 PM

Mar 2012
Lack of forethought put into the plot or characters. It seems like most of the anime that "bore" me revolve around a lack of development within the plot or characters. Situations where there were opportunities to go far deeper into the character motivations or the story...but it doesn't progress for unknown reasons.

Here's an example of an anime I'm watching lately. Shirobako is supposedly about a group of former high school girls who graduate, move on from high school and work in the anime industry doing random things. For the most part, the first three episodes show the hectic everyday life of primarily one girl from this group of friends. The problem with this series? It doesn't properly develop the character motivations Aoi Miyamori (who I had to look up because the character names are incredibly forgettable) or any of her friends motivations for that matter. We learn very little about her backstory and her motivations for wanting to work in anime. Hell, even episode 4 just recently called into question her own motivations and didn't properly answer them.

This is a case where the anime is getting too far ahead of itself. While showing how the anime industry one great big hectic circus, it doesn't give us a well-rounded character to "rally around." To me, building character is THE most important part of storytelling. If you don't give us deep, well-developed character(s) to learn about, then it gives me no motivation as a viewer to want to watch this.
Nov 3, 2014 12:35 AM

Dec 2013
Shoujo
Nov 3, 2014 12:44 AM

Apr 2013
The two things which annoy me the most are bad pacing and stupid characters. I genereally enjoy comedy and fanservice, but there are also series I like which do not have these things.
Nov 3, 2014 12:48 AM

Mar 2012
Slow Pacing (unless it`s slice of life)
Less Variety
No cute girls

^
Boring
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Nov 3, 2014 1:16 AM

Dec 2012
Toucanbird said:
Lack of forethought put into the plot or characters. It seems like most of the anime that "bore" me revolve around a lack of development within the plot or characters. Situations where there were opportunities to go far deeper into the character motivations or the story...but it doesn't progress for unknown reasons.

Here's an example of an anime I'm watching lately. Shirobako is supposedly about a group of former high school girls who graduate, move on from high school and work in the anime industry doing random things. For the most part, the first three episodes show the hectic everyday life of primarily one girl from this group of friends. The problem with this series? It doesn't properly develop the character motivations Aoi Miyamori (who I had to look up because the character names are incredibly forgettable) or any of her friends motivations for that matter. We learn very little about her backstory and her motivations for wanting to work in anime. Hell, even episode 4 just recently called into question her own motivations and didn't properly answer them.

This is a case where the anime is getting too far ahead of itself. While showing how the anime industry one great big hectic circus, it doesn't give us a well-rounded character to "rally around." To me, building character is THE most important part of storytelling. If you don't give us deep, well-developed character(s) to learn about, then it gives me no motivation as a viewer to want to watch this.

This is the case where actually the character development is shoved in one's face and yet they fail to see it. For example, in four episodes we saw Aoi finding her dream in high-school, making it to work where her dream matters, getting buried in fast learning (to become a professional), getting numb from overworking (but yet, being able to contribute to the studio's current project, drawing inspiration and optimism from her genuine life experience and dream), and at the end of the day, when things aren't going smoothly again, she is at the brink of losing her dream in favor of current work.

It's a lot for 4 episodes and we are going to see more of it.

And I think it's way different from characters at their episode 156 that either still the same, or their character update revolves around shouting their attacks, changing their clothes and hair, and striking flashy poses, or falling in someone's breasts to get in tune with the audience. Seriously, some anime series can do the same in 18 episodes or less.

Many people complain the industry should change for better. I am beginning to doubt that even if it does change for better, would there be anyone left to notice the difference.

Therefore, what bores me to death is not anything generic or fanservicable in particular - it's the repetitiveness and laziness (= refusal to input something more than change in hair, eyes, clothes, weapons, etc.).
zellamiNov 3, 2014 1:52 AM
Nov 3, 2014 1:38 AM

Aug 2008
Mahouka is boring to me. Too much infodump.

Oh,and Glasslip too is boring. Nothing happen in every episode.

SeibaaPriest said:

keragamming said:

It doesn't get any better. Last 3 episodes are above average Mahouka episodes but still boring action scenes compare to other anime and it definitely not that outstanding or special.Yokohama arc 2nd half is just about the usual stuff where Tatsuya beat a bunch of weak villains/cannon fodder easily except this time,they drag it to 3 episodes. No tension at all.

sullynathan said:
Akame ga kill is boring because from the surface the art style isn't exciting to look at or distinct. The animating isn't good enough to make the action seem interesting.

If animation and art style affect your enjoyment on anime,then I'm guessing shows like Shingeki no Bahamut is your favorite anime since animation is the main selling point of Bahamut so far.
ZapredonNov 3, 2014 5:38 AM
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Nov 3, 2014 5:26 AM
May 2009
To much talking, and no fighting in a fight scene.
That plus long ass recaps in the beginning.
Nov 3, 2014 6:11 AM

Dec 2013
Zapredon said:

sullynathan said:
Akame ga kill is boring because from the surface the art style isn't exciting to look at or distinct. The animating isn't good enough to make the action seem interesting.

If animation and art style affect your enjoyment on anime,then I'm guessing shows like Shingeki no Bahamut is your favorite anime since animation is the main selling point of Bahamut so far.

Absolutely not. Animation is far from from being the main selling point. And the animation is godlike so that says something.
Nov 3, 2014 6:34 AM

Apr 2014
robis798 said:
Zapredon said:

Absolutely not. Animation is far from from being the main selling point. And the animation is godlike so that says something.
Akame ga kill main selling point is the gore, action and dark tone which is almost the same selling point in Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis.
Nov 3, 2014 6:36 AM

Dec 2013
Milk_is_Special said:
robis798 said:

Akame ga kill main selling point is the gore, action and dark tone which is almost the same selling point in Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis.

Oh God, please read what you write or recheck the name of the series because you are absolutely wrong.
Nov 3, 2014 6:48 AM

Mar 2012
keragamming said:
I had a change of heart when I re-watched SAO so I was thinking that all the people labelling it as a piece of dogshit were just jumping on the bandwagon. Oh boy how I wish I wasn't wrong. I didn't even know the meaning of 'generic' until I watched that show. On the plus side, it helped me to see just how creative and exciting the majority of anime are in comparison.
Nov 3, 2014 7:30 AM

Feb 2012
If the story is boring, I will not keep on watching.

Nov 3, 2014 8:37 AM

Aug 2013
SeibaaPriest said:
keragamming said:
I had a change of heart when I re-watched SAO so I was thinking that all the people labelling it as a piece of dogshit were just jumping on the bandwagon. Oh boy how I wish I wasn't wrong. I didn't even know the meaning of 'generic' until I watched that show. On the plus side, it helped me to see just how creative and exciting the majority of anime are in comparison.
It's so generic that no other magic anime has a magic system like it, it's so generic that in the Reminiscence arc it is shown that Tatsuya and Miyuki don't have a typical brocon, siscon relationship but a
Nov 3, 2014 1:07 PM

Feb 2014
KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-....to be continued
Ashente!

Nov 3, 2014 1:10 PM

Feb 2008
When I start playing with things around the room
Nov 3, 2014 1:11 PM

Apr 2014
unick01 said:
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Nov 3, 2014 1:12 PM

Nov 2013
Anime never bores me.. i could just watch anime characters sitting around in a room doing nothing and still enjoy it.. ^_^
Get lost in the art that is anime/manga... :3
Nov 3, 2014 1:15 PM

Jul 2014
Milk_is_Special said:
unick01 said:

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!
Nov 3, 2014 1:29 PM
Jul 2018
Okashi_sama said:
Just because the anime has action doesn't mean it's not boring. it all depends on how well it's executed.

what makes an anime boring to me is the lack of either story progress or character development. it could be all talking without anything action-like happening and still be entertaining to watch.

I'll agree to that one.
Nov 3, 2014 1:30 PM
Jul 2018
By my side, an anime is fun when there are fun moments like Allen and Kanda in D.Gray-Man.
Nov 3, 2014 1:31 PM

Nov 2014
Bad characters.
Nov 3, 2014 1:49 PM

Jul 2014
Action. For example shingeki no bahamout, code geass, etc
And not original story.
Nov 3, 2014 1:55 PM

Oct 2014
Pathetic Characters

example: Tokyo Ghoul, while i found the story interesting, most of the characters were just meh, espicially Kaneki, who was Yuki 2 until the last 5 min of the last episode.

Also Friendship Magic.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

103 by APolygons2 »»
51 seconds ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

40 by KitsuFrost »»
3 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

55 by Akuya »»
5 minutes ago

» Is "Magnetic Rose" considered a masterpiece?

Alpha_1_Zero - 4 hours ago

2 by Dizzy-san »»
14 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Yesterday

12 by Zarutaku »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.