Forum Settings
Forums

Standardized exams - your thoughts about them ?

New
Oct 31, 2014 6:32 AM

Apr 2008
Has anyone living in USA took any of these exams GRE, MCAT, DAT, or LSAT ? What do you think about them, do you think they prepare you for grad school, it forces you to study for them almost non stop for 3 - 4 month if you want to get into a good grad school.

Standardized exams , the higher score you will get the better chance you will get a better scholarship. Scholarship are merit base.

Any nightmare study stories ? Do you know the most notorious organization administrating a standardized exam out of these 4 (GRE, MCAT, DAT, or LSAT) ?
Miyu_Oct 31, 2014 6:36 AM
Feel free to add me to your friend list!

Oct 31, 2014 6:45 AM

Aug 2014
Standardized exam in our country is very important it may tell us whether we get a good job. If we dont study we are done.
Oct 31, 2014 6:53 AM
Community Admin
sunny moment

May 2010
Grad school, I dunno what they're like but for entry to undergrads, it's just one part of the equation. If you screw it, there's always another way in. Either way, as long as you show you're willing to do the work to get there, you'll make it one way or another which is the whole point I guess.
Oct 31, 2014 7:02 AM

Aug 2014
About to take the LSAT for the third and final time in December haha. I've done about every previously administered LSAT for practice, and averaged 173 (out of a scaled score of 180). Yet, on the real thing, I've choked under pressure and got a 166 two times in a row. The third time's a charm. At the end of the day though, I'd say the LSAT is a solid indicator of how a student will do in law school.
Oct 31, 2014 7:15 AM

Dec 2013
Done the SAT and ACT, i guess it's a good indicator of your general knowledge, but it doesn't go indepth on any one particular topic so you may pass into a medicine scholarship while having aced the math part.

The funniest(or not..) thing i can remember is a girl that was doing the test with me threw up ontop of her finished exam because she was too nervous to turn it in, with only like a half hour left. Not sure if they let her re-do the test or what.
Oct 31, 2014 7:36 AM
Sep 2014
I didn't study at all for my SAT, SAT Subject Tests, and ACT. I actually felt like kind of a jackass because I didn't know you could leave questions blank for no point reduction.

The one memorable thing about them was somebody who got an 800/2400 on the SAT.
Oct 31, 2014 7:36 AM
Jul 2018
They are fun.
Oct 31, 2014 7:49 AM

Apr 2008
ImaginaryFire said:
About to take the LSAT for the third and final time in December haha. I've done about every previously administered LSAT for practice, and averaged 173 (out of a scaled score of 180). Yet, on the real thing, I've choked under pressure and got a 166 two times in a row. The third time's a charm. At the end of the day though, I'd say the LSAT is a solid indicator of how a student will do in law school.

How long have you studies for your LSAT ? Did you had to take one of these LSAT classes with Kaplan, Princeton, or Blue Print ? or you just bought books from amazon and did so many exams ?

Miyu_Oct 31, 2014 8:14 AM

Oct 31, 2014 8:51 AM

Apr 2008
The definition of Standardized exams, are official exams, well they are placement exams, they decide based on your score, which university you will attend or who might accept you. For instance Harvard and University of Berkley are on different level in term of their rank for undergrad, grad whether it is med school, law school etc.

Oct 31, 2014 8:55 AM

Mar 2014
They are necessary.

Some schools are easier than others and vice versa.

To ensure that everyone is given a fair shot, standardized exams were formed.

I'm glad I didn't have to take them though.
Oct 31, 2014 9:16 AM

Aug 2014
Miyu_ said:
ImaginaryFire said:

How long have you studies for your LSAT ? Did you had to take one of these LSAT classes with Kaplan, Princeton, or Blue Print ? or you just bought books from amazon and did so many exams ?

I've been studying since February, taking 2 separate month long breaks in between tests. I took a class with Blueprint, but I'm not sure how much it helped me, since the class was more geared to beginners who were trying to break 160. Other than that, I've been mainly studying on my own, using the 7sage videos for logic games and doing a lot of practice tests. Do you have any experience with the LSAT?
Oct 31, 2014 9:43 AM

Apr 2008
ImaginaryFire said:
Miyu_ said:

I've been studying since February, taking 2 separate month long breaks in between tests. I took a class with Blueprint, but I'm not sure how much it helped me, since the class was more geared to beginners who were trying to break 160. Other than that, I've been mainly studying on my own, using the 7sage videos for logic games and doing a lot of practice tests. Do you have any experience with the LSAT?

So it takes that long just to prep for LSAT properly and the materials aren't really helpful toward law schools other than making you think logically and critically. It is different from MCAT & GRE for sure. No prior experience.

Good luck on your December exam :) Which university you want to attend ?

Oct 31, 2014 9:53 AM

Aug 2014
Miyu_ said:

Thanks, it's my last shot, so I have to make it count. Ideally, I'd like to go to UC Berkeley, Michigan, or Penn. Anywhere in the top 14 would be fine, but these schools are at the top of my list.
Oct 31, 2014 10:01 AM

Apr 2008
ImaginaryFire said:
Miyu_ said:

Thanks, it's my last shot, so I have to make it count. Ideally, I'd like to go to UC Berkeley, Michigan, or Penn. Anywhere in the top 14 would be fine, but these schools are at the top of my list.

With a 166, which you have and a good GPA, personal statement + resume, they will sure take you at UC Berkeley (start applying now), i though you were looking to get into University of Colombia, Yale, University of Chicago, Northwestern, or Harvard if you're looking at 170+. You're honestly good. Law schools last year admissions dropped 30% , no one wants to take 200k+ in loans to get a JD with a very dry market.

Did you know the ABA are now discussion several provisions to pass, which will allow law schools to accept 10% of its applications without taking the LSAT, only based on the GPA, personal statement, resume, etc.

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2014/06/aba-allows-law-schools-.html

Oct 31, 2014 10:10 AM

Aug 2014
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Obviously I'd like to go to Harvard or Stanford, but to be realistic I listed those schools :D I figured a 170+ would give me a very good chance at most of the top 14, instead of the ~30% shot I would have with the 166. I'm fortunate enough to not have to take on so much debt, but any scholarship would obviously be nice.

More topics from this board

Poll: » the future of AI girlfriend technology

deg - 7 hours ago

17 by Theo1899 »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - 3 hours ago

9 by luckyrune »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » In the future there will be battles for love between species from other planets(theory)

Absurdo_N - 10 hours ago

10 by Dracowyn »»
30 minutes ago

» I'm a coomer, but the important question is...

LenRea - 2 hours ago

2 by LenRea »»
58 minutes ago

Poll: » If we eat the mermaid's tail, is it cannibalism or is it fish meat?

Absurdo_N - 11 hours ago

25 by Dracowyn »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.