Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Oct 30, 2014 1:52 PM

I was thinking recently about the amount of money it takes to put together your average anime compared to how much money ufotable put into both Fate/Zero and the new Unlimited Blade Works (possibly Kara no Kyoukai?). I've heard some conflicting things but nothing concrete.

I was under the impressions that the new show had a crazy budget that most anime don't have, yet I heard some say the budget wasn't anything special? Considering the production values of both the new show and Fate/Zero easily could be passed off as movie quality, I was wondering how this could possibly be. Is ufotable swimming in the dough right now or are they just extremely talented (well either way they still are) and know how to manage their budget extremely well?

Oct 30, 2014 1:53 PM

Probably not as big as you think.

They use a lot of CGI, and i bet the quality comes more from Talent than Budget.

Edit and before anyone rages at me, i think the CGI looks great but its there.

People just pretend it isnt.

Oct 30, 2014 2:01 PM

Yeah there is some CGI, but the only time it looked really prominent was during the Saber summoning and I didn't have a problem with how it looked personally.

Oct 30, 2014 2:13 PM

Big.
And I mean that in the most sexually painful way possible.

Oct 30, 2014 2:40 PM

No idea. Is there any other anime out there with action scenes even close to this quality?

Oct 30, 2014 2:44 PM

FlameseeK said:
No idea. Is there any other anime out there with action scenes even close to this quality?

The only shows that I've seen recently that even come close are Pstcho-Pass 2 and Parasyte and those 2 definitely dont look as good by comparison. This is clearly the best looking show of the season by far.

Oct 30, 2014 2:44 PM

Nothing wrong with CGI as long as it's done well. Ufotable's CGI has only contributed to the anime's quality on an otherwise limited budget.

Bad CGI on the other hand can make it look like a cheap PS2 game. e.g. some of the scenes from the tank's perspective in Girls und Panzer.

Oct 30, 2014 2:45 PM

Shintai said:
Yeah there is some CGI, but the only time it looked really prominent was during the Saber summoning and I didn't have a problem with how it looked personally.

Any time you see weapons in Fate its CGI.

Rinth said:
Nothing wrong with CGI as long as it's done well. Ufotable's CGI has only contributed to the anime's quality on an otherwise limited budget.

Bad CGI on the other hand can make it look like a cheap PS2 game. e.g. some of the scenes from the tank's perspective in Girls und Panzer.

Cant argue with this logic.

I'm fine with CGI in UFOtable shows because to be quite honest it looks amazing.

Regardless though, using CGI saves money. I think their 3D artists are just talented, and most other studios are hiring retards to do it.

Oct 30, 2014 2:47 PM
average anime episode cost around 100,000 dollars to 300,000 dollars so my guesstimate is ufotable has 300,000+ budget per episode

anime production budget depends on this thing called production committee anyway where its a collaboration of different companies to complete the budget - http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2012-03-05

Oct 30, 2014 2:51 PM

Wouldnt be surprised if UFOtable gets big budgets.

I mean, when Studio Deen sold what was it, 50k per volume, with their shit adaptation, is it even a risk to spend money on this?

I mean, you had to know going into fate/zero that if it was even MILDLY good it would make a fuck ton of money.

Oct 30, 2014 3:12 PM

JabonHR said:
Big.

Couldn't resist.

I don't think the budget is as high as it seems. For one thing, the animation isn't super fluid like most people think, it actually has less frames to deliver more fast paced action and give the hits/clashes more impact. Though they do make up for that with the great art and ton of visual effects on screen.

Oct 30, 2014 3:19 PM
has nothing to do with ufotable

the company selling the dvd/bd's funds the budget, in this case aniplex

Oct 30, 2014 4:00 PM

So basically, the budget isn't as crazy high as it seems, it's simply that ufo has learned lots of tricks in order to make things look great without breaking the bank.

Oct 30, 2014 4:22 PM

The one thing Ufotable really shines on is the background scenery, I could hang that stuff off a wall.

The rest is as Batato says.

Oct 30, 2014 4:23 PM

Shintai said:
FlameseeK said:

The only shows that I've seen recently that even come close are Pstcho-Pass 2 and Parasyte and those 2 definitely dont look as good by comparison. This is clearly the best looking show of the season by far.

yeah no.

Parasytes action scenes ESPECIALLY in episode 4 look like complete shit.

BotatoPriest said:
JabonHR said:
Big.

Couldn't resist.

I don't think the budget is as high as it seems. For one thing, the animation isn't super fluid like most people think, it actually has less frames to deliver more fast paced action and give the hits/clashes more impact. Though they do make up for that with the great art and ton of visual effects on screen.

The effects are CGI. Hence how they can get away with them.

Oct 30, 2014 4:51 PM

Shintai said:

I've just startedl watching the first season of Psycho-Pass and I have to agree. It's the only show that actually comes to my mind. The quality of their animation is pretty top notch, but not as good as F/SN. Needless to say, F/SN has much more movement and it's definitely flashier, so it's only natural that it's going to stand out even more.
BotatoPriest said:
JabonHR said:
Big.

Couldn't resist.

Yeah, I've noticed the action in F/SN and F/Z doesn't have as many frames as it could. I think it would look gorgeous with more frames, but maybe it wouldn't be as impactful... so I dunno. Or maybe that's a budget issue, but I can definitely see that as a stylistic choice as well.

Oct 30, 2014 4:54 PM

Bakemonogtari has a low frame count and looks amazing.

Less frames means each frame can be more detailed.

I'd take Fate's low frame count over Hunter x Hunter having near flawless animation at the expense of shit designs anyday.

FlameseeK said:
Shintai said:

I've just startedl watching the first season of Psycho-Pass and I have to agree. It's the only show that actually comes to my mind. The quality of their animation is pretty top notch, but not as good as F/SN. Needless to say, F/SN has much more movement and it's definitely flashier, so it's only natural that it's going to stand out even more.

I bet the second season doesnt look as good.

Theres a reason why production IG is famous. Because their animation is amazing.

Oct 30, 2014 5:01 PM

FlameseeK said:
Yeah, I've noticed the action in F/SN and F/Z doesn't have as many frames as it could. I think it would look gorgeous with more frames, but maybe it wouldn't be as impactful... so I dunno. Or maybe that's a budget issue, but I can definitely see that as a stylistic choice as well.
It's a stylistic thing. They can do fluid animation but the way Fate/ fights are described in the novels don't work with a ton of frames.

Like outside of fights, the animation is pretty fluid. Also keep in mind that more fluid does not mean better.

Oct 30, 2014 5:02 PM

Actually season 2 of Psycho Pass looks on par with season 1.

Oct 30, 2014 5:02 PM

BotatoPriest said:
FlameseeK said:
It's a stylistic thing. They can do fluid animation but the way Fate/ fights are described in the novels don't work with a ton of frames.

Like outside of fights, the animation is pretty fluid. Also keep in mind that more fluid does not mean better.

Yeah based on the fights i read in the novel it was always a slow sort of WOOSH WOOSH SHINK WOOSH (dialogue) WOOSH WOOSH SHINK.

I think UFOtable does a good job making it look that way.

Oct 30, 2014 5:15 PM

SolvitePriest said:

I'd take Fate's low frame count over Hunter x Hunter having near flawless animation at the expense of shit designs anyday.
This. Though HxH looks good from what I've seen.

A better example would be DEEN's UBW, there's this really famous frame with Lancer's spear being literally one thin black line. They tried to go for fluid animation I think, sad part is the art was just really bad it ruined it.

If you want both fluidity and details in art then go watch some movies.

Oct 30, 2014 5:22 PM

BotatoPriest said:
SolvitePriest said:

This. Though HxH looks good from what I've seen.

A better example would be DEEN's UBW, there's this really famous frame with Lancer's spear being literally one thin black line. They tried to go for fluid animation I think, sad part is the art was just really bad it ruined it.

If you want both fluidity and details in art then go watch some movies.

Hunter x Hunter looks functionally similar to the manga, which just so happened to already have shitty designs.

When you go for fluid animation you get shit like in the new episode of Parasyte where the frames themselves are blurry or low detail.

Oct 30, 2014 5:25 PM

High frame count vs low frame count:

Oct 30, 2014 5:26 PM

I just realized I criticized DEEN's movie and then recommended movies... ._.
I seriously need to sleep.

Anyway, what I meant to say is that movies generally have more fluid animation with detailed art than TV series.

Oct 30, 2014 5:27 PM

BotatoPriest said:
I just realized I criticized DEEN's movie and then recommended movies... ._.
I seriously need to sleep.

Anyway, what I meant to say is that movies generally have more fluid animation with detailed art than TV series.

yeah getting ticket sales and disc sales instead of just disc sales does that for you.

Oct 31, 2014 5:04 PM
Pretty sure their budget is higher than most but not by much. They just have alot of still scenes which is rather obvious once you start paying attention. Also the fact that they split the season in two most likely means that their animators aren't rushed like most studios where their work catchs up on them.

Oct 31, 2014 9:56 PM
IT'S OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!!!

Oct 31, 2014 9:59 PM

If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

Oct 9, 10:02 AM
Just Remember
People die when they are killed

Oct 26, 6:45 AM
FlamepriesT said:

One punch man season 1 and Attack on titan have better action scenes in my opinion

Oct 26, 7:00 AM

This is the opposite tho. CGI is cheaper to produce than standard animation. If anything their budget should be on the lower average.

Oct 26, 1:34 PM

Lel0uchZer0 said:
FlamepriesT said:

One punch man season 1 and Attack on titan have better action scenes in my opinion

Holy necro, batman. lol