Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 30, 2014 11:48 AM

Aug 2013
Delete please. Thread is finished.
REKTNov 18, 2016 5:54 PM

Feel free to chat anything Anime related or non Anime related conversations! :)
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 30, 2014 11:48 AM

Jan 2013
Nope. It's just a ripoff of fairy tail.
Oct 30, 2014 11:55 AM

Jul 2014
Try it yourself. We can't tell you what's good.
Oct 30, 2014 11:57 AM

Sep 2012
In my opinion it's one of the best shounens out there. So yea, worth giving a try

Oct 2014
ummm yeah but theres lots of arcs which have drag out periods, where theres no progression, it has good character development and flashbacks, but too much episodes, im watching the dub, so halfway of jap, up to 335,

Jun 2014
Naruto and HxH have more serious of a plot while One Piece is more comedy. If you expect One Piece to be one of those more serious shonen then you will be dissatisfied, but if you are just looking for a fun comedy series with action then this is the show for you. However don't go into this show with extremely high expectations, or you will be disappointed.
Oct 30, 2014 11:59 AM

Dec 2013
Try it yourself
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Oct 30, 2014 12:00 PM

Apr 2013
Qans said:
Naruto and HxH have more serious of a plot while One Piece is more comedy. If you expect One Piece to be one of those more serious shonen then you will be disappointed, but if you are just looking for a fun comedy series then this is the show for you. However don't go into this show with extremely high expectations, or you will be disappointed.
Disagree completely. One piece just knows when and where to turn off the comedy and transition into seriousness.

To answer the OP, it's one of my favorites, but it's hard as fuck to get into and definitely not for everyone. I'd watch until Arlong park, and if you don't like the way the arcs go, then digs probably not for u
Oct 30, 2014 12:00 PM

Jan 2013
PriestSlayer said:
Try it yourself

id normally agree but it takes like 50 episodes to get a feel for long runners
Oct 30, 2014 12:03 PM

Jul 2014
SolvitePriest said:
PriestSlayer said:
Try it yourself

Then he should go talk to IntroverTurtle.
Oct 30, 2014 12:04 PM

Jan 2013
xDarkrai said:
SolvitePriest said:

He would say yes.
Oct 30, 2014 12:04 PM

Jul 2014
SolvitePriest said:
xDarkrai said:

He would say yes.

But he'd give good details and convince OP to watch OP.
Oct 30, 2014 12:06 PM

Jan 2013
Either way, its still just a Fairy Tail ripoff.

OP may have come first, but FT did it better and OP changed to follow it.
Oct 30, 2014 12:13 PM

Apr 2013
FT did it a lot fucking worse, and I haven't noticed any changes in OP that mirror FT
Oct 30, 2014 1:56 PM
Oct 2014
One Piece is the best imo. I love the story line and how their each one had a story behind their power/skill. One Piece and FairyTail are both great. I don't see how people can say One Piece is a ripoff still.
Oct 30, 2014 2:09 PM

Apr 2014
Try it, if you don't like it then don't watch it.
Oct 30, 2014 2:14 PM

Jun 2014
SolvitePriest said:
Either way, its still just a Fairy Tail ripoff.

OP may have come first, but FT did it better and OP changed to follow it.

It's the opposite though nigga. Fairy Tail is a complete OP rip off, except Luffy is a lot more lovable than Natsu
Oct 30, 2014 2:17 PM

Dec 2013
Cupquake said:
Qans said:
Naruto and HxH have more serious of a plot while One Piece is more comedy. If you expect One Piece to be one of those more serious shonen then you will be disappointed, but if you are just looking for a fun comedy series then this is the show for you. However don't go into this show with extremely high expectations, or you will be disappointed.
Disagree completely. One piece just knows when and where to turn off the comedy and transition into seriousness.

To answer the OP, it's one of my favorites, but it's hard as fuck to get into and definitely not for everyone. I'd watch until Arlong park, and if you don't like the way the arcs go, then digs probably not for u

You cannot disagree completely if the tones of OP and Naruto or HxH are really different. Naruto and HxH are darker, more serious, both Naruto and HxH at some points become a thriller with even some horror elements.

One Piece is much more comedic, lighthearted, and yes it knows when to tone down the comedy, the drama in Arlong Park is one of the best I have seen. But it still isn't a dark show that Naruto and HxH become.

Though I haven't seen enough OP to judge it. But I don't believe One Piece becomes something like Naruto was in Chunnin Exam arc or HxH in Yorknew Arc. And if it does well then I am watching OP right now.
Oct 30, 2014 2:18 PM

Mar 2012
I'm neutral about OP, had its good moments. But FT is complete garbage compared to OP.
Oct 30, 2014 2:19 PM

Feb 2010
No, it's shite.
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 30, 2014 2:21 PM

Jun 2014
Cupquake said:
Qans said:

Cupquake said:
Qans said:

I'm not saying One Piece never has a serious moment. They happen once every 40-50 episodes, am I wrong? But compared to a shonen like Naruto or HxH, one piece doesnt have a serious plot. Expect people getting shot in the chest with 8 barrels and not dying. In 700 episodes only one or two characters of relevance died. Its not a horrible show but dont get your hopes up man
Oct 30, 2014 2:35 PM

Nov 2010
Qans said:
I'm not saying One Piece never has a serious moment. They happen once every 40-50 episodes, am I wrong? But compared to a shonen like Naruto or HxH, one piece doesnt have a serious plot. Expect people getting shot in the chest with 8 barrels and not dying. In 700 episodes only one or two characters of relevance died. Its not a horrible show but dont get your hopes up man
I don't think you know what "serious plot" means. Plot =/= atmosphere or tone.

OT: Don't watch it, it sucks.
Oct 30, 2014 2:36 PM

Jan 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
Qans said:

This guy gets it.
Oct 30, 2014 2:38 PM

Apr 2013
Qans said:

Having deaths does not make something serious. Most of the arcs become serious after they set up the premise and introduce the conflicts. Sure, there are a few jokes even in the fights, but the arcs themselves are still serious.
robis798 said:

Though I haven't seen enough OP to judge it. But I don't believe One Piece becomes something like Naruto was in Chunnin Exam arc or HxH in Yorknew Arc. And if it does well then I am watching OP right now.
I've only read like the first volume of HxH. There are plenty of arcs in One Piece that are just as 'dark' as the Chunin exam. Heck, the current arc in the manga is probably darker.
Oct 30, 2014 2:45 PM

Dec 2013
Cupquake said:

robis798 said:

I've only read like the first volume of HxH. There are plenty of arcs in One Piece that are just as 'dark' as the Chunin exam. Heck, the current arc in the manga is probably darker.

Well it's good then, but it's hard to believe there are arcs as creepy and thriller-like, like Chunin Exam arc in the forest or just beasicly everything with Orochimaru. Though I am stupid to expect such things from a show about pirates adventures. Not that it is a bad thing.
Oct 30, 2014 3:22 PM

Jun 2012
Don't bother watching it. Have you seen that episode count? It will take a while before you get to the "good" part, and if you won't like it by then you'll have wasted a lot of time. It's very slow paced too... better to spend your time watching shorter anime.
Oct 30, 2014 3:28 PM
Sep 2014
I prefer Naruto and Bleach, but OP isn't bad though
Oct 30, 2014 3:29 PM

Jan 2012
what is one piece?

Oct 30, 2014 4:00 PM

Jun 2014
SolvitePriest said:
IntroverTurtle said:

This guy gets it.

You think I'm wrong lol?
Oct 30, 2014 4:01 PM

Jun 2014
IntroverTurtle said:
Qans said:

You are confusing me man. I love shounen series, One Piece isnt a bad series at all, but I would never go out of my way to recommend it to someone aha
Oct 30, 2014 4:01 PM

Jan 2013
Qans said:
SolvitePriest said:

This guy gets it.

You think I'm wrong lol?

He has a point.

Thinks dont have to be Urobuchi level serious to be considered serious.
Oct 30, 2014 4:05 PM

Jun 2014
SolvitePriest said:
Qans said:

You think I'm wrong lol?

He has a point.

I don't expect it to be Urobuchi edgy serious. But if someone gets blown apart with a 5km diameter bomb, I expect them to die. Is that unreasonable?
Oct 30, 2014 4:05 PM

Dec 2012
Not really. It's quite mediocre in a lot of aspects, and with the pacing of the anime, it's just terrible.
Oct 30, 2014 4:07 PM

Jan 2013
Qans said:
SolvitePriest said:

He has a point.

I don't expect it to be Urobuchi edgy serious. But if someone gets blown apart with a 5km diameter bomb, I expect them to die. Is that unreasonable?

Welcome to battle shounen.

Goku throws lasers that destroy planets and people survive them.
Oct 30, 2014 4:25 PM

Oct 2014
I´d say watch it, if you dislike the first couple of episodes stop watching, if you enjoy it keep watching it? If you get bored of it stop watching it?

In the end your request is to vague, since something good is completely determined on how YOU define good.
Lol, I found out how to write a signature... BOYA! muthafuckaaaa
Oct 30, 2014 7:01 PM

Nov 2013
amazing.
Oct 30, 2014 7:03 PM

Jan 2012
Good but some fillers are boring

Oct 30, 2014 7:09 PM

Jul 2014
yes
Oct 30, 2014 7:19 PM

Oct 2013
SolvitePriest said:
Nope. It's just a ripoff of fairy tail.

...dude one piece the manga started in 1997!

fairy tail manga came in 2006!

How the hell can one piece rip off suttin that came 9 years later?

REKT said:
I have seen HxH and Naruto does that mean I will enjoy One Piece? Is it worth watching all?

its god damn insane!!!!! watch it!!!! Its just as good as Hunter x Hunter but it rips Naruto to frkn shreds man!

Lots of comedy but a great story! its not always light hearted but not as dark as Hunter x Hunter. its over the top fun man. keep watching and once you've reached the Alabasta arc THEN you will c the true One Piece! one of THE best arcs!
TheNoseOfDeathOct 30, 2014 7:23 PM
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Oct 31, 2014 12:13 AM

Jan 2014
The real question is: why haven't you watched it yet?

It is without a doubt the best shounen. Unless you prefer grimdark and edge, then no. Go watch Akame ga Kill instead.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Oct 31, 2014 1:16 AM

Dec 2013
RedRoseFring said:

It is without a doubt the best shounen. Unless you prefer grimdark and edge, then no. Go watch Akame ga Kill instead.

A shonen can be edgy and grimdark and not be shitty.
Oct 31, 2014 2:18 AM

Nov 2010
please...

...don't compare OP with FT....

...ever...
Oct 31, 2014 6:22 AM

Jun 2014
It's very good. It's one of the rare battle anime I've seen that makes frienship well rather than over the top cheesy. It has excellent comedy, perhaps even funnier than early Dragonball. The world building is also amazing in every possible way imaginable. I think it's also one of the rare shows that can elicit a vast number of emotions from the viewer.

Characters are okay. The plot is engaging but may become repetitive at times and arcs might have fillerish content every now and then. It's rather lighthearted so if you like darker shows it may not be for you. It does have some awesome drama at times though. I am not too mad for the fights tbh. Some fights almost completely lack strategy especially the early ones and can be ruined by random jokes but they do get better later. Seems like Oda and Toei prioritize creativity to choregraphy and strategy in battles so if you like that then go for it. It doesn't have much character development but that's partly because unlike other battle anime, the characters were adults from the start and already and hence more static (but not flat). Some arcs are rather formulaic.

Art is somehow goofy and takes time to adapt to. Animation and pacing both became horrible after about 500 episodes but they are fine in the early arcs. Voice acting and OSTs are top notch.

Best thing though is:
PriestSlayer said:
Try it yourself
Oct 31, 2014 8:04 AM

Apr 2014
It's Shit, mediocre and pathetic, Naruto is far better than One Piece.
Even Fairy Tail is better than One Piece and One Piece is a Rip-off of Fairy Tail!
Oct 31, 2014 8:17 AM

Mar 2012
All in all, it's kind of average.

It may suffer from weak world building, lack of original/creative ideas, and having no plot most of the arcs, for example, a lot of races introduced are shallow templaces of already existing folklore elements.

but it still can be enjoyable with specific scenes and good music.
It's more of a typical shonen, so if you enjoy Naruto, you most likely will like it.

HxH is in a whole other category so you can't tell if you'd enjoy one based on the other.
End Zionazism
Oct 31, 2014 8:26 AM

Jun 2011
It's a one-of-a-kind experience, so I'd say, watch it.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Oct 31, 2014 1:10 PM

Jan 2014
robis798 said:
RedRoseFring said:

Examples?
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Oct 31, 2014 1:13 PM

Jan 2014
Agafin said:
It's very good. It's one of the rare battle anime I've seen that makes frienship well rather than over the top cheesy. It has excellent comedy, perhaps even funnier than early Dragonball. The world building is also amazing in every possible way imaginable. I think it's also one of the rare shows that can elicit a vast number of emotions from the viewer.

Characters are okay. The plot is engaging but may become repetitive at times and arcs might have fillerish content every now and then. It's rather lighthearted so if you like darker shows it may not be for you. It does have some awesome drama at times though. I am not too mad for the fights tbh. Some fights almost completely lack strategy especially the early ones and can be ruined by random jokes but they do get better later. Seems like Oda and Toei prioritize creativity to choregraphy and strategy in battles so if you like that then go for it. It doesn't have much character development but that's partly because unlike other battle anime, the characters were adults from the start and already and hence more static (but not flat). Some arcs are rather formulaic.

Art is somehow goofy and takes time to adapt to. Animation and pacing both became horrible after about 500 episodes but they are fine in the early arcs. Voice acting and OSTs are top notch.

Best thing though is:
PriestSlayer said:
Try it yourself

I may as well ask since I have the time: You said 'formulaic', so care to give said formula? (And please don't repeat the things that are obviously givens because it does get tiring to respond to those).
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Oct 31, 2014 1:13 PM

Dec 2013
RedRoseFring said:
robis798 said:

Examples?

HxH, for example. Naruto even.
Oct 31, 2014 1:19 PM

Jan 2013
I love it but sometimes it gets cliche and boring, repetitive and underwhelming moments. Heavy dialogues are a big factor for why I think One Piece remains an average shounen series, 70% of talkings in a chapters are for comedy relief, thus pointless. It just didn't look interesting to me at all, even though I'd read 10 chapters everyday I still think there are countless of anime who are superior to it.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 392 Discussion ( 1 2 )

dbaranyi - Mar 8, 2009

92 by gannoncannon55 »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 391 Discussion

Kitschi - Mar 11, 2009

40 by gannoncannon55 »»
5 hours ago

» I miss the old fights.

NeutralSide - Sep 14, 2023

25 by NeutralSide »»
Today, 6:42 AM

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1062 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AhriTheS3xyFox - May 20, 2023

328 by mihirmishra »»
Today, 5:46 AM

Poll: » One Piece Episode 229 Discussion

VARIAchan - Jan 5, 2010

42 by kejora »»
Today, 2:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.