Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Your Lie in April
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 30, 2014 2:25 PM
Aug 2014
Hmm too bad I am not familiar with classical music. Nice cliffhanger, it probably is something serious. *gasp* what if it's a disease similar to Parkinsons where she slowly loses the ability to play? JK, surely they won't troll us that hard. Probably low blood sugar?
derprumeOct 30, 2014 2:29 PM
Oct 30, 2014 2:28 PM
Jan 2014
Is best girl kill already?
I really hope there wont be some BS drama about her being sick or whatever.
In all seriousness though, neat episode.
warconOct 30, 2014 2:34 PM
Oct 30, 2014 2:31 PM
Sep 2013
So Im guessing the reason she passed out is something to due with the hospital visit that was shown. The performance was very good. Kousei struggle and over coming it with help from Kaori. Seems the love triangle is about to get started.
Oct 30, 2014 2:37 PM
Jul 2018
This is my favorite anime this season. Every episode has flown by, for me. When I watch this, sometimes I find myself questioning why I'm following some of the other shows I'm watching. In terms of my enjoyment, this anime is on a whole other level.
Oct 30, 2014 2:38 PM

Jun 2014
Its in the drama genre so i'm expecting her to be pretty sick if she fell on stage (and went to the hospital an ep or two ago!)

I don't know much about classical music but it does sound great!
Oct 30, 2014 3:06 PM

Dec 2013
Their performance is not perfect, nor is it in sync. But one thing that it is, is that its full of colour. Colours just beginning to come back ever so slowly. Arima still has issues with his past and his mother so his performance still is not perfect. But because of Kaori he is looking at music in a different light, not in the perfect in sync way, but in a way that you have to imagine it, where you shape the outcomes.

It was a brawl, but I'd say it was a tango. It was awesome.

Good job you two!

But oh no the ending. Kaoriiii-chan!!!!!! WHYYYY MUST THIS ALWAYS HAPPEN? Its a bit cliché...

But overall AWESOME episode and great series. I want to see the development of Kaori and Arima's relationship even more next episode. But I also want a more musical aspect and more performance of Arima's power.

5/5.
"No one knows what the future holds. That's why its potential is infinite.” - Okabe Rintarou

"El Psy Congroo."

Kirino Kyousake Picture
Oct 30, 2014 3:09 PM
Jul 2018
This episode was really intense, brillant and mesmerizing. I dig it a lot.
Oct 30, 2014 3:17 PM

Mar 2013
Another good episode. Kousei gut it out and deliver a last moment heroic performance. Hope nothing is wrong with Kaori at the end.
Oct 30, 2014 3:20 PM
Jul 2014
Foil girl friend foreshadowing incoming friend zone.
Wasn't expecting any less than awe from the public.
Petals are back again...best character 10/10.
Oh my...and she fell...teen melodrama just around the corner.
Rondo Capriccioso/10.
Oct 30, 2014 3:21 PM

Jan 2012
Kaori is just too beautiful!

it's was a awesome episode
Mr-NoUrEOct 30, 2014 3:47 PM
Oct 30, 2014 3:26 PM
Jul 2010
No, a new clannad no... I´ll probably cry a lot.
Oct 30, 2014 3:28 PM
Jul 2018
surfboard_ said:
rsc-pl said:
Perfection isn't the best usually.

Can you put musical examples where "perfection" isn't the best in the classical music domain?

"Perfection" does not exist in the musical world, but "interpretation" does.
Oct 30, 2014 3:30 PM
Jul 2014
dalter_baldoni said:
No, a new clannad no... I´ll probably cry a lot.
Why would you? If so,
...no need to worry.
And I hope, for the sake of the good things that this show might have, that this will not be the case.
Oct 30, 2014 3:33 PM
Oct 2013
Prety great anime till now. This episode was very good. The performance was played out very I think. Now the protoganist van progress in his paino skills in the story. I do want to know what happened to the female protoganist. This anime is in my eyes one of the beste released anime of the fall series at the moment.
Oct 30, 2014 3:37 PM
Jul 2018
Komandos said:
In regards to perfectionists and classical music. A competition is a competition - you play by the scores and do is as perfect as you possibly can. Human metronome is what you want to become.

I disagree with you.
When all the candidates have mad skills and all, what is "perfect" ?
Professional classical musicians with a strong personalities does exist, Martha Argerich, for example.
Btw, if I refer to your idea of "perfection" ('human metronome'), then I think it would be too simple to be a professional musician.

Competition or not, when you have to do music, you do music. That's about it.
removed-userOct 30, 2014 3:46 PM
Oct 30, 2014 3:43 PM

May 2009
Whenever i watch this, the episode passes by so fast. That's a sign of a good show!
Oct 30, 2014 3:47 PM

Jul 2007
Tsubaki realized what's going on :|

The performance was amazing. Seriously AMAZING. The part where the notes began disappearing and water filled the piano... Oh god. Kousei getting into the zone or something was super cool. Love Kaoris personality. As if she would let him do as he pleases.

That ending..

Mod Note: Potential Spoiler removed. Please do not discuss purported information from the manga beyond this episode.
rodacOct 30, 2014 11:45 PM
Oct 30, 2014 3:50 PM

Jun 2014
megaultradeath flag
Oct 30, 2014 3:55 PM

Dec 2013
Seriously, I don't want anyone to die, I would prefer if this would stay more shonen on the whole dying side.
Oct 30, 2014 4:05 PM

Apr 2010
RIP Kaori. 10/30/2014 Never forget.
Oct 30, 2014 4:18 PM
Jul 2013
this shit was perfection. everything was just beautiful acress the bored and the performance animation was sick once it got going (with those kuroko zone eye trails lol).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl9zyuYKf54&feature=youtu.be
my heart sank at the end of the episode tho
Oct 30, 2014 4:19 PM

Jun 2008
awesome episode.
So Kaori... looks like she´s ill?
...and also they are really going for a love polygon.

ワンダーランド花 ♥

Oct 30, 2014 4:24 PM
Oct 2010
-Skyleo- said:
Competition or not, when you have to do music, you do music. That's about it.
Hm... I wouldn't say it's like that.

I also disagree with these competitions being about having the technical accuracy of a midi player. But if you want to make music, you should be doing your own instead of playing what someone else wrote.

The importance of sticking to the score of a classical piece, which a competition certainly evaluates, is that you don't "make up" things that the author didn't write.

There is indeed more to a piece than what is written on the score, which is why the performance is called an interpretation, and why different "accurate" executions of such interpretations can give different feelings.

A classical music competition evaluates the interpretation given by the contestant. But the interpretation falls if it contradicts the score as it's no longer an interpretation but a new "story" that is "strongly reminiscent" of what someone wrote a long time ago. XD
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Oct 30, 2014 4:29 PM

Oct 2007
type-beta said:
Foil girl friend foreshadowing incoming friend zone.
Wasn't expecting any less than awe from the public.
Petals are back again...best character 10/10.
Oh my...and she fell...teen melodrama just around the corner.
Rondo Capriccioso/10.

lol it is definitely kind of funny how the background feels like it's the focus of the shot and then the female lead is just sort of off in the background there looking kind of non-descript but HEY CHERRY BLOSSOMS EVERYWHERE WOOO!

Man does A-1 ever have the bloody playbook on MAL tendencies these days. They should really just stop focusing on the Japanese market so much and direct their attention towards MAL. Get some advertising going here, get some sort of mail order system tied into the site and the sky's the limit pretty much. The shows alright still but man is it ever amazing how much more you can accomplish with today's Western audience just by having a specific look and style to a show without even really having to have the animation quality even be all that outsanding. It's almost as if the anime industry could solve it's whole writing and creative crisis overnight with just a few casual tweaks on visual style here and there for more shows in order to keep people distracted enough not to worry about it.
PeacingOutOct 30, 2014 4:37 PM
Oct 30, 2014 4:35 PM

Dec 2011
That was quite the eerie and sad way to start off this episode to be honest.

Poor Kousei T.T and he still cared for his mother...

Kousei said such a cool line but that blood dripping from his wound didn't help the moment at all XD.

Kaori looked cute in that dress :3

Dat tender moment doe...

Damn, Kousei's seeing the "ghost" of his mother and the notes started to vanish... things aren't going well at all...

Awwww, a moment where his mother gave him good advice and was nice to him T.T

Hell yeah! Kousei just went into beast mode!

Dat performance... dem feelings I felt... beautiful T.T

Shiver me timbers Kaori just fainted!
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
Oct 30, 2014 4:39 PM

Oct 2013
Oh so hospital relates to her body condition. I wonder what's wrong. Yes I agree with most: probably a frail body.
Oct 30, 2014 4:53 PM

Apr 2010
They definitely connected there near the end of their performance. I absolutely love it when music geniuses compete with each other and make a great sound. You can feel the compassion in the music.

Oct 30, 2014 4:56 PM
May 2013
Oh! better than the manga. but after this, the drama begin. Why the author make such sad and tragedy plot anyways. Are the people in japan love to read and watch sad thing(masochist). How i wish it this story has no drama and tragedy, only strive for competition.
Oct 30, 2014 5:01 PM
Jul 2018
I loved this episode,their performance,if not taking the mess-up in the middle into consideration,was pretty good.

Though I get the feeling that this may turn into clichéd melodrama due the illness and I sure hope that I am mistaken. Or if it will turn into melodrama,then I at least hope that it's going to be a good one.

kazumazero said:
Oh! better than the manga. but after this, the drama begin. Why the author make such sad and tragedy plot anyways. Are the people in japan love to read and watch sad thing(masochist). How i wish it this story has no drama and tragedy, only strive for competition.

I do enjoy drama quite a lot...does that make me a masochist? Or maybe a sadist...heh.

But seriously,I think it is fine to want to feel sorrowful for characters,because sadness is as much emotion as happiness is.

Mod Note: Double Post combined.
rodacOct 30, 2014 11:29 PM
Oct 30, 2014 5:03 PM
Jul 2018
kazumazero said:

I do enjoy drama quite a lot...does that make me a masochist? Or maybe a sadist...heh.

But seriously,I think it is fine to want to feel sorrowful for characters,because sadness is as much emotion as happiness is.
Oct 30, 2014 5:08 PM
Jul 2018
Ajunky said:

The importance of sticking to the score of a classical piece, which a competition certainly evaluates, is that you don't "make up" things that the author didn't write.

There is indeed more to a piece than what is written on the score, which is why the performance is called an interpretation, and why different "accurate" executions of such interpretations can give different feelings.

A classical music competition evaluates the interpretation given by the contestant. But the interpretation falls if it contradicts the score as it's no longer an interpretation but a new "story" that is "strongly reminiscent" of what someone wrote a long time ago. XD

Exactly.
However, what I wanted to say is : it's not because you know how to read the score, that you are able to read the music.

The score is usually rich, there is more than one story in it, here is the subtle differences between a human's interpretation and a cyborg's one imo. :)

Of course, there are bad interpretations, when, on the score, there is "allegro" or "playfully", or whatever, you have to keep this in mind. You don't improvise neither. But a good musician can read between the lines of the scores, when there is no indication on a passage in particular, you are free to play it from your point of view, as long as you can prove that the score means that. It's interpretation, and it's an art itself. There is more or less relevant interpretation though.
In Bach score, for example, usually, there is nothing about the interpretation, neither nuances, nor indication. When Glenn Gould played some notes staccato, some phrases legato, it's HIS interpretation, and he's acclaimed for it, because he knew why, in the score justify his interpretation, even if it's not explicitly written down on the score. At least, that's what I think. ^^

In a nutshell, what I mean is that classical music scores are rich, immensely rich. The role of the performers are not really just to 'show' what is written on the paper, but to show the musicality of it. To tell a story. As a consequence, the score is extremely important, because the performer has to bring the score alive, not just read it.

Musicians are musicians. They should not forget the music.
Listeners, be they competition judge, professional or whatever, wants to hear a good sounding piece, an interesting and accurate interpretation, and not just see the score, because it's boring.

(Btw, sorry for my broken english)
removed-userOct 30, 2014 5:30 PM
Oct 30, 2014 5:08 PM

Jan 2012
Good episode but I hate so much those flashbacks . Its been freaking 4 episodes so far we haven't forgotten anything and certainly don't have amnesia to they must remind us every 2-3 minutes.
Oct 30, 2014 5:18 PM

Sep 2008
FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK!!!!!!!!
so dammm epic!!, i'm a pianist myself, and god, that last part, GOD
EPIC!!!!
i listen this at least 10 times!
god, my heart was even pouding before they started!!
this anime is on a straight path to a masterpice

EPIIIIIIC
Being a fan is like having a penis. Its nice to be proud of it But don't pull it out in public and wave it in other's faces

Kyurem Black. Kyurem White. Together they are Pretty Kyurem.
Oct 30, 2014 5:40 PM

Jul 2010
That was amazing! Liked how Tsubaki described this as spring ^^

Kaori managing to calm Kousei down, I seriously won't get tired of Kousei's monologue!

Kousei being unable to see the notes and starting to drown in a world where he can't hear himself play. It was quite detailed too! So his mother was nice until she was sick and became desperate?

Kaori stopping to wait for Kousei. It was nice to see Kousei start again despite him not being able to see anything but remembers it by the sheets that has been around him! The performance was quite amazing ^^ That cheer.

Kaori always wanting the people to remember her :/ The end with her fainting!
Oct 30, 2014 6:03 PM

May 2013
Their performance was flawless. Better than expected.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Oct 30, 2014 6:10 PM
Jul 2018
surfboard_ said:

What Kousei's mom says in the beginning of the episode is about 100% right, poor direction to make it sound as if she was just a freak or alienated or whatever similar to this.

I think Kousei's mom implies that the score is all.
And honestly, I don't totally agree with this.

I don't want to explain how, personally, I have to study a score with my piano teacher, but, in short, I can ensure you that it's a very long process. We have to find the place, the role of each note, to give meaning to every single musical phrases. It's a tough work but really fulfilling.

So, as a result, the score is super duper important, since all our choices are based on it, but the score doesn't always matter. The score is not the music. You are the music.
Oct 30, 2014 6:18 PM
Dec 2013
next ep is called the departure is that an ill omen
Oct 30, 2014 6:21 PM
Oct 2012
Kaioshin_Sama said:
lol it is definitely kind of funny how the background feels like it's the focus of the shot and then the female lead is just sort of off in the background there looking kind of non-descript but HEY CHERRY BLOSSOMS EVERYWHERE WOOO!

Considering the story, both of those things you mentioned (lead female in the background, cherry blossoms) were deliberate.

Kaioshin_Sama said:
Man does A-1 ever have the bloody playbook on MAL tendencies these days. They should really just stop focusing on the Japanese market so much and direct their attention towards MAL.

Yes, but they wouldn't make any money because MAL fans are cheap.

Two things: 1) animation is a visual medium, so visuals count far more than the "writing and creative crisis," and 2) most MAL fans miss out on most things Japanese because, well, they are not Japanese, so it is really just common sense that most MALions are imagine heavy rather than story heavy.
Oct 30, 2014 6:29 PM

Jul 2012
Breathtaking. I haven't had goosebumps since watching a national choir perform live. Like wow, I'm glad I downloaded this show with the best possible audio quality. And this performance isn't even the best we'll hear out of our main duo so I wonder how amazing the climax of the series will be.

Seriously though, even if they weren't completely together (mostly because of Arima's lack of accompanying exp), it was still a great performance with the audible flaws.

Also, Arima's "I can't hear anything" situation is actually realistic. I had the same problem once during rehearsal where everything but my own sound was audible. But like, wow, so intense.

That cliffhanger btw. I guess the foreshadowing did serve for a purpose. Next Thursday freaking when?!
Oct 30, 2014 6:41 PM

Jun 2013
This series is just perfect in every which way possible so far!
That ending though.
Oct 30, 2014 6:44 PM
Jul 2018
The performance between Kousei and Kaori was great.

Kaori collapsed at the end.
Oct 30, 2014 6:45 PM
Jul 2018
mayukachan said:

Also, Arima's "I can't hear anything" situation is actually realistic. I had the same problem once during rehearsal where everything but my own sound was audible. But like, wow, so intense.

Yeah, same here actually, especially during piano exam !

I think it's the result of stress, and how we try to manage with it. In this kind of stressful situation, we tend to focus more and more on our memories, on the score, our hands, trying to avoid mistakes, etc... As a consequence, I think we tend to focus only on a lot of details and it makes us forget the music, our 'sound'.
Oct 30, 2014 7:01 PM

Jul 2012
Kousei little trauma he had since his mother passed away is finally gone, I hope.

Kousei managed to save his and Kaori performance at the end by basically having a musical brawl on stage, which in my opinion was fantastic.

What happened to Kaori at the end? I hope she just passed out from excitement or anxiety.

Great episode!!!
Oct 30, 2014 7:04 PM

Apr 2012
Poor Kaori. I have bad feelings about it. What a pain for Kousei ;__;
Oct 30, 2014 7:12 PM

Aug 2014
Wow...great episode!
Friend A needs to step it up and get over his mommy problems.
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
Oct 30, 2014 7:41 PM

Aug 2013
OK this episode confirm it something is wrong with Kaori.
Oct 30, 2014 7:44 PM

Oct 2014
To tell the truth, I was prepared to give this episode 3.5/5 seeing how the story in the manga at this point isn't really something in my favour... Plus I'm a little unsure how they will handle the music since this time it'll be hard. But then, the execution turned out to be well enough. The way the music, the mismatching, and the atmosphere were executed turned out to be quite good for my enjoyment.

4/5. Still eagerly expecting good things to come out from this show.
HOW TO SAVE ANIME IN THREE SIMPLE STEPS

1. To have Mars of Destruction, Skelter Heaven, and Pupa properly adapted in TV series form by Madhouse
  2. To have Inferno Cop properly adapted in TV series form by Bones, director: Urobuchi Gen
  3. An anime crossover of Mushishi x ARIA x Haibane Renmei.

Should even one of the above conditions cannot be done, anime is still at risk.
Oct 30, 2014 7:44 PM
Nov 2013
Amazing episode. Everything about the performance was astonishing, from Kousei being underwater and not being able to hear his music and the magnificent ending of their performance which was more like a battle. Hopefully Kaori's okay, but I feel like she just gt so excited from the performance that she fainted, haha.

I hope A-1 Pictures keeps up the good work. This could definitely end up in my favorites list.
Oct 30, 2014 7:45 PM

Aug 2013
I feel terrible for the manga readers of this series, since they couldn't hear the music being played.

Just like how in "Terror in Resonance",
the theme of Kaori wanting to be remembered really resonated with me.

P.S. Seeing Kousei's electrifying eyes, he definitely went into "The Zone" there. :P
Oct 30, 2014 7:51 PM

Oct 2014
Kaioshin_Sama said:
Man does A-1 ever have the bloody playbook on MAL tendencies these days. They should really just stop focusing on the Japanese market so much and direct their attention towards MAL.

Wel.... they are a Japanese animation studio, so it's normal for them to focus on Japanese, right?
HOW TO SAVE ANIME IN THREE SIMPLE STEPS

1. To have Mars of Destruction, Skelter Heaven, and Pupa properly adapted in TV series form by Madhouse
  2. To have Inferno Cop properly adapted in TV series form by Bones, director: Urobuchi Gen
  3. An anime crossover of Mushishi x ARIA x Haibane Renmei.

Should even one of the above conditions cannot be done, anime is still at risk.
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 8, 2015

243 by Miyakirauhciyama »»
3 hours ago

» Let me share my experience to re-watching it again

GuyWithoutFear - Apr 13

1 by falko92 »»
Apr 20, 5:27 PM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2015

295 by kyledluffy »»
Apr 16, 11:18 PM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 19, 2015

1174 by LordArmandtrox »»
Apr 16, 9:07 PM

Poll: » Is this worth watching even if you got spoiled on the ending ? ( 1 2 )

Mister_WD - Apr 23, 2022

70 by patkarunungan »»
Apr 15, 11:53 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.