Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 28, 2014 3:40 PM

Jan 2013
I suck at Hearthstone and am very new to TCGs in general. So I figured I'd make a Hearthstone thread to discuss decks, ranks, special moments, meta, cards, styles, and anything Hearthstone related. And maybe to steal builds from you nerds

I'll start first.

I main mage and my deck is solely reliant on early aggression and spell damage. It is a cheese deck where half of the entire deck consists entirely of spells. My main damage comes from mana wyrms, sorceror's apprentice, Kobold geomancers, and ogre magi. I have sun clerics to ramp my taunts (Usually senjin shieldmasters) or mana wyrms if they high enough. My build solely relies on mana wyrms though I can destroy without them with the spell damage. If I don't have mana wyrms by the early turns I will most likely have loot hoarders, doomsayers, and taunts to stall.
PeenusWeenusCaimOct 28, 2014 3:43 PM
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 28, 2014 4:04 PM

Jan 2014

Ah, that sounds very similar to a deck I used to run called OTK Mage. It essentially stalled and draws cards until it can finish the opponent with what I believe are 9 cards for 10 mana, dealing 32 damage. It's exhilarating to win with it, but it doesn't do that very often.
As for what I'm playing right now, I main Handlock and a Deathrattle Control Paladin deck. I challenged myself not to run Undertakers like every other deck in the meta right now, and it does fairly well. Here's the decklist: http://i.imgur.com/Pypr9v3.png

Aside from that, I also play a lot of arena (more than I play constructed) and the reason for this is because I think the meta is really shitty at the moment. I've been playing since beta, so I know every card fairly well and how they are used. If you want to face me or just want tips add me: ThugLyfing #1512 NA.
Oct 28, 2014 4:54 PM

Apr 2014
_Otouto said:

Aside from that, I also play a lot of arena (more than I play constructed) and the reason for this is because I think the meta is really shitty at the moment.

i guess you're talking about this "post naxxramas new meta" here... I do agree that it's a little sad to see the same deathrattle decks again and again...but i'm not really one to talk , since i do enjoy playing my "Zoo" deck time to time , and he is indeed the most effective i have with my hunter deathrattle . It's definitly more fun to play than to face .

Talking about the "Zoo" , i play a version with the Lorewalker Cho , and i have to say i definitly love this panda guy : to see priest opponents suddenly slowing down there action and looking clueless after i play him is priceless...he definitly spice up the party , and even made me victorious killing a rogue with his own eviscerate one time .

currently , I'm hoping to find some sword of justice to make true an idea i had about an "agro buff" paladin deck...but i'm definitly unlucky with my boosters opening .

people can say what they want , but to see those controle deck with so much epic and legendary card...it's definitly annoying when what you get most of the time is some milhouse and epic warlock card (Twisting Nether and Bane of Doom ) in more than double...and i'm not even talking about that crab that came to me two time...
Oct 28, 2014 5:11 PM

Nov 2013
I used to play but it got a bit redundant after a while.
Dullboy said:
_Otouto said:

Aside from that, I also play a lot of arena (more than I play constructed) and the reason for this is because I think the meta is really shitty at the moment.

i guess you're talking about this "post naxxramas new meta" here... I do agree that it's a little sad to see the same deathrattle decks again and again...but i'm not really one to talk , since i do enjoy playing my "Zoo" deck time to time , and he is indeed the most effective i have with my hunter deathrattle . It's definitly more fun to play than to face .

Talking about the "Zoo" , i play a version with the Lorewalker Cho , and i have to say i definitly love this panda guy : to see priest opponents suddenly slowing down there action and looking clueless after i play him is priceless...he definitly spice up the party , and even made me victorious killing a rogue with his own eviscerate one time .

currently , I'm hoping to find some sword of justice to make true an idea i had about an "agro buff" paladin deck...but i'm definitly unlucky with my boosters opening .

people can say what they want , but to see those controle deck with so much epic and legendary card...it's definitly annoying when what you get most of the time is some milhouse and epic warlock card (Twisting Nether and Bane of Doom ) in more than double...and i'm not even talking about that crab that came to me two time...

I've got most of the cards in Hearthstone, and I rarely played ranked (haven't spent money either). I just spent all my effort in arena and got free decks. I think people waste their gold on buying packs, instead of getting better at arena and getting cards that way.
Oct 28, 2014 6:40 PM

Jan 2013
Can't afford Naxxramas so I'm out of the meta, though I was never in it anyways since I just started like a week ago. But yeah, playing Hearthstone isn't good to play alone but it's pretty nice to play while browsing MAL forums or reading manga or some other thing that permits multitasking. Also, I may be new to the game, but is it particularly bad to use removals on mirror image? I've never seen a rogue so thirsty to get rid of them.
PeenusWeenusCaimOct 28, 2014 6:52 PM
Oct 28, 2014 9:11 PM

Apr 2013
Udgey said:
Also, I may be new to the game, but is it particularly bad to use removals on mirror image? I've never seen a rogue so thirsty to get rid of them.
it depends. If you just straight out played mirror images without any other minions, he would probably assume that you're freeze mage. As a rouge, his game plan is to kill you as quickly as possible. it also depends on what type of removal he used. Most rouges want to cycle their shivs/fan of knives, so using those to kill your images is a good play if he doesn't have minions. If he's using backstab+S1 Agent or or either of those separately, it's still ok since that gives him some tempo. If he's using eviserates, assassinates, etc, then he's an absolute idiot who doesn't know what the fuck he's doing.
Oct 28, 2014 9:38 PM
Oct 2014
Once you take time to learn the game it gets really fun. There is a lot you can do with HearthStone. I love how HearthStone has daily rewards that give free players the chance to obtain packs without having to spend money. There is a lot to learn but once you get the hang of it and start learning how to play against certain decks it'll become an addicting game.
Oct 28, 2014 9:47 PM

Apr 2013
Oh yeah. So I generally play ranked because arena is too frustrating. The class I've played the most is priest, but the meta is pretty unfriendly towards control priest atm. I was playing zoo last season, but am now playing hand lock. On like a 4 game losing streak because of fucking hunters and their undertaker starts.

Deck list:
super greedy version of hand lock. I know I should cut either rag or sylvanas, but am too lazy to.
Oct 28, 2014 9:56 PM

Jan 2013
Ah Jesus I fucking hate hunters. I have terrible memories of my first day of hearthstone and "Unleash the Hounds"
PeenusWeenusCaimOct 28, 2014 10:00 PM
Oct 28, 2014 10:05 PM
Oct 2014
I love rushing with Hunter :) probably because I'm new.

What does Zoo and hand lock mean?
Oct 28, 2014 10:17 PM

Apr 2013
bhpchen94 said:

Both zoo and handlock are generally referring to warlock decks. Zoo is focused around a bunch of small minions that can be played quickly and buff each other. You use the warlock's hero ability to keep your hand full.

Ex:

Handlock also takes advantage of the warlock hero ability, but instead by using it early to get a massive hand. You can generally play an 8/8 on turn four. The deck list I posted earlier is a handlock variant.
Oct 28, 2014 10:34 PM
Oct 2014
Cupquake said:
bhpchen94 said:

Both zoo and handlock are generally referring to warlock decks. Zoo is focused around a bunch of small minions that can be played quickly and buff each other. You use the warlock's hero ability to keep your hand full.

Ex:

Handlock also takes advantage of the warlock hero ability, but instead by using it early to get a massive hand. You can generally play an 8/8 on turn four. The deck list I posted earlier is a handlock variant.

Thanks for the help! Do you think you can add me so you can teach me some more about HS? :)

edamons #1329
Oct 28, 2014 10:42 PM

Apr 2013
Yea sure. I added u
Oct 29, 2014 6:32 AM

Jan 2014
Udgey said:
Ah Jesus I fucking hate hunters. I have terrible memories of my first day of hearthstone and "Unleash the Hounds"

Oh, you think UTH is annoying now? A while back it used to cost 2 mana, and a long time ago it used to cost 1 mana and it gave all your beasts charge and +1 attack. Hunter is the one class I've always wanted to get gutted just like Mage got gutted during the beta.
Oct 29, 2014 9:23 AM

Jan 2013
_Otouto said:
Udgey said:

Oh, you think UTH is annoying now? A while back it used to cost 2 mana, and a long time ago it used to cost 1 mana and it gave all your beasts charge and +1 attack. Hunter is the one class I've always wanted to get gutted just like Mage got gutted during the beta.
Jesus christ so by turn 3-4 you could get dire wolf UTH back then? That sounds... Nightmarish
Oct 29, 2014 9:26 AM
Oct 2013
my mate is in the nv team for hearthstone.
r.i.p top 100 world rankings </3
Oct 29, 2014 9:29 AM

Jan 2014
Udgey said:
_Otouto said:

Jesus christ so by turn 3-4 you could get dire wolf UTH back then? That sounds... Nightmarish

Yep, and draw half your deck as well. Hunter was considered FoTM for quite a while and was honestly no fun to be matched up against. Hunter is a lot less annoying to play against now after receiving several changes, but I hate the current Undertaker Hunter deck with a passion.
Oct 29, 2014 9:34 AM

Jun 2009
I've come to find Constructed so fucking annoying. Can barely stand to complete the dailies. I do play a handful Arena matches every day though. Personal Arena record is still 9 wins. Averaging around 5-6 right now. Yeah, it's not really impressive.
grandy_UiDOct 29, 2014 9:42 AM
Oct 29, 2014 9:34 AM

Jul 2013
I play this game daily (poorly) and want to like it but braindead Priest shit drives me bonkers
Oct 29, 2014 11:06 AM
Feb 2013
grandy_UiD said:
I've come to find Constructed so fucking annoying. Can barely stand to complete the dailies.

I find there's a lack of incentive to play Constructed. Sure reaching Legend is great and all but when you've done it once for the cardback, there isn't much point. I myself have not done it yet but i'm just fine settling around rank 15 - 20 for the season's cardback. A small gold or dust reward depending on your final rank would attract more players.
Oct 29, 2014 3:49 PM

Jan 2013
I got cheesed by flamestrike and got destroyed in a ruthless comeback. I don't want to play mage anymore. What's a good way to build for priests?
Oct 29, 2014 10:37 PM

Jul 2013
Udgey said:
I got cheesed by flamestrike and got destroyed in a ruthless comeback. I don't want to play mage anymore. What's a good way to build for priests?

Usually control. Priests have always been the underdog, but it made a pretty big comeback with Nax. Specifically because of Dark Cultist and Sludge Belcher. There are some pretty interesting combos. Injured blademaster+circle of healing gives you a really good 4/7 at turn 3. Auchenai+circle board clear. Priests usually require a lot of expensive cards to be even viable though. And probably the most fun. Thought stealing the enemy's gorehowl or tirion is always fun. There are always specific cards that a priest deck almost NEEDS to be viable.This is a random deck that has the basics and isn't too expensive
Replace sludge with the solid tazdingo and dark cultist with another solid low drop.
ihusmal1234Oct 30, 2014 9:06 PM
Oct 30, 2014 4:42 AM

Jun 2009
Udgey said:

lol that's why you never over-commit to the board when turn 7 comes up while facing a mage.
There's just some stuff that's common sense in this game and you have to be aware of it regardless of what class you play. Playing around certain class cards that your opponent might have is one of the basics. That's why it's really important to know the cards of every class, so you know what to expect.
Oct 30, 2014 7:07 AM

Apr 2013
I wouldn't suggest playing priest without naxx. Priest was one of the weakest classes pre nax.
Oct 30, 2014 9:33 AM

Jan 2013
grandy_UiD said:
Udgey said:

lol that's why you never over-commit to the board when turn 7 comes up while facing a mage.
There's just some stuff that's common sense in this game and you have to be aware of it regardless of what class you play. Playing around certain class cards that your opponent might have is one of the basics. That's why it's really important to know the cards of every class, so you know what to expect.
I was going for the kill by turn 6 :/ Forgot the mage had coin and I sent my entire hand in for the kill. I don't even remember what happened but after that I was destroyed by a Ragnaros and I was only 1 hp from winning. But yeah you're right, I got too greedy

@ihusmal1234 @Cupquake
Oh, so I should grind gold for naxxramas before thinking about going priest?
Oct 30, 2014 9:34 AM

Jul 2012
Played Magic.
Got into beta of HS.
Did well in the first season.
Later quit out of frustration later as legendary creatures became a certainty, with trending pre-nerf decks...
Now the metagame is the same decks over... and over... I'm glad I got out.
Oct 30, 2014 12:12 PM

Apr 2013
Udgey said:

@ihusmal1234 @Cupquake
Oh, so I should grind gold for naxxramas before thinking about going priest?
thats what I'd recommend. You just get destroyed early game without dark cultist. Wild pyromancer can help, but cultist is what really made priest viable. Like ihusmal said, you pretty much need soul priest and injured blade master or you'll never win any games. It's not the most expensive deck to make, but it does take some amount of dust.

Tespith said:
Played Magic.
me too. Magic was expensive af though, so I had to stop
Oct 30, 2014 1:36 PM

Jul 2013
Any tips to consistently get more than 4 wins in arena? I somehow got arena anxiety though i think it's probably irrational.

@Udgey If you want to play Priest, grinding Naxx for Dark Cultist should be good though it can take a long time if you're still new and don't want to pay. For free2play learn how 2 arena should be the best way to get more cards and gold.
The best budget decks are unfortunately the "cancer" decks Zoo and Hunter ^^

Random Anime Blogs | 1 2 3 4
Oct 30, 2014 1:49 PM

Apr 2013
x_at_home said:
Any tips to consistently get more than 4 wins in arena? I somehow got arena anxiety though i think it's probably irrational.

Always mulligan for a good curve and always try to play on curve.

Actually, I would suggest that Udgey use Zoo. It's the cheapest competitive deck that can crush other decks that have a million legendaries. It teaches you about efficient trading, board control, when to push for damage, etc. And it's also one of the easiest decks in the game to play.

Hunter isn't really cancer either and it's pretty hard to play, now that buzzard has been nerfed to oblivion.
Oct 30, 2014 2:48 PM

Jan 2013
Zoolock? Then the most important question, should I get flame imps? It has good early pressure but a priest with sap...
Oct 30, 2014 2:54 PM
Oct 2014
Hunters and Zoolock seem really good this meta. Hunters with UTH/Raid leader and Undertakers. Zoolock with those low drops plus Undertaker and then you have Druid with the lategame
Oct 30, 2014 2:55 PM

Apr 2013
Flame imps are really important for early game, so yes. If you doh't have them, no need to craft. Save dust and keep opening packs if you don't have a lot of cards. Good news is that a lot of cheap minions can work in zoo, so you don't need to copy the deck lists they post online.

I don't think anyone would waste a sap on a flame imp and flame imps can often get value vs priests.
Oct 30, 2014 3:02 PM

Jan 2013
Then should I focus on divine shields on my zoolock in case of aoe removals?
Oct 30, 2014 3:05 PM

Apr 2013
>_<

well...most zoo have a lot of death rattle cards that defend against aoe

...but you get them from naxx...

Divine shields also work.
Oct 30, 2014 3:10 PM

Jan 2013
F2p is hard, I'll build a deck and post when I get to a comp
Oct 30, 2014 3:13 PM

Jul 2013
Cupquake said:
x_at_home said:

Always mulligan for a good curve and always try to play on curve.

Actually, I would suggest that Udgey use Zoo. It's the cheapest competitive deck that can crush other decks that have a million legendaries. It teaches you about efficient trading, board control, when to push for damage, etc. And it's also one of the easiest decks in the game to play.

Hunter isn't really cancer either and it's pretty hard to play, now that buzzard has been nerfed to oblivion.

That's why i used the quotation marks since many people seem to hate those decks ^^ I got to rank 5 yesterday with a rather budget hunter. Also thanks for the tip, though sometimes killling off that 1 health minion is too tempty(dunno how to write it) instead of playing on curve.

bhpchen94 said:
Hunters and Zoolock seem really good this meta. Hunters with UTH/Raid leader and Undertakers. Zoolock with those low drops plus Undertaker and then you have Druid with the lategame

I would rather use dire wolf alpha than raid leader.

Random Anime Blogs | 1 2 3 4
Oct 30, 2014 5:22 PM

Apr 2013
It seems fine, although mc tech is a little slow, same with demolisher. Might wanna remove the corruption because the card is anti value most of the time. Same with the sucubus. Add a second soul fire if you have another. When you get naxx, add haunted creeper, nerubian eggs

Also, you might want two shattered sun.

Seems pretty decent so far. It should work...
Oct 30, 2014 5:32 PM

Jan 2013
Ok. can someone evaluate my noob warlock zoo attempt deck?

Along with my mage deck?
PeenusWeenusCaimOct 30, 2014 5:48 PM
Oct 30, 2014 7:16 PM

Jan 2014
Udgey said:

Along with my mage deck?

For the mage deck h
Udgey said:

Along with my mage deck?

For the mage deck you should get rid of these cards: Ice Lance, Ethereal Arcanist, Ice Block, and Counterspell. This is simply my preference (I dislike Mage's secrets in general) but they simply don't do enough to be worth a deck slot. Arcanist is a 3/3 for 4 mana if you don't have a secret out, Ice Lance is not justified as you are only running three other freeze cards, Ice Block isn't viable since you seem to be playing a more minion based Mage deck than the stalling type gameplay most Mages are playing nowadays. Counterspell is easily played around, and decks in the current meta seem to be minion-heavy.

As for the cards you want to be putting in, I'd recommend 1x Ogre, 1x Water Elemental, 1x Chillwind Yeti, 1x Arcane Intellect, and 1x Sen'Jin. Of course, these cards help strengthen your mid and late game, and give you a bit of card draw. Remember, card draw is very important in this game and you should never underestimate how big card advantage of 1 or 2 can make. It's a bit hard to suggest cards knowing that you don't have all the commons/rares, but bare with me.

Now for some cards that I think may be out of place in your deck. These aren't as big of a deal as the replace list and keep in my mind this is my opinion. First of all, the Mirror Images. While playing this in conjunction with Mana Wyrm is devastating, the Mirror Image itself doesn't gain you much card advantage. It's basically a stall card, and I really dislike these. I recommend subbing them out for 2x Shattered Sun Cleric, but if it's working for you then that's alright.

Sorry for the wall of text, I have a lot to write when it comes to this. Also, deck-building has a lot to do with experimenting. Try new cards in your deck and see how they synergize with your other cards.
Oct 30, 2014 7:24 PM

Jan 2014
Udgey said:

Along with my mage deck?

Now for the Warlock deck. Warlock is a little tougher to build because the majority of his class cards are absolute trash. This is why the popular Warlock decks (Handlock, Zoolock) consist mostly of neutral minions. Some of Warlock's class cards are great such as Flame Imp and Soulfire, but most are just laughably bad. You have to keep in mind that your hero power is a card advantage machine and as a result you don't need any more card draw. Try to build your Warlock deck like this, the deck is outdated, but it still wins games. The deck is cheap, and has a good winrate.
Oct 30, 2014 7:29 PM

Apr 2013
Lol, Reynad's zoo

I love reynad, the salty fucker
Oct 30, 2014 7:34 PM

Jan 2014
Cupquake said:
Lol, Reynad's zoo

I love reynad, the salty fucker

Yeah, I only visit his stream and Kripp's for my daily dose of salt.
Oct 30, 2014 8:26 PM
Oct 2014
@x_at_home
care to show me your budget hunter? :)
Oct 30, 2014 9:12 PM

Jul 2013
What you can do while farming gold/dust through quests and is play these f2p decks Trump has reached legend rank with. (except for rogue)
Nothing too special. At most it teaches you how to be good even with the simplest decks. All of them mostly focuses on value and board control. Not all of them are basic cards though.
Oct 30, 2014 9:42 PM

Jan 2013
I really need to farm out cards. I'm not confident or good for arena so I've been grinding out gold for packs through casual

Almost every person I meet in casual has legendaries. My most expensive card was a doomsayer :/
Oct 30, 2014 10:05 PM

Apr 2013
You'll most likely need to craft your legendaries cause there are so many unplayable ones. Out of the few legendaries I've opened, more than half of them have been king krush

I'd still suggest arena over packs. You gotta learn sometime, and arena gets you a lot more cards a lot quicker even if you're not very good at it. Plus it's decently fun.

Speaking of doomsayers, I need another one for my mage deck. I wish this was a TCG so I could give you a king krush for yours....
Oct 31, 2014 12:21 AM

Jan 2013
How the hell do you deal with control warriors and ragnaros the firelord?

I got combo'd by an alexstraza and a ragnaros and I literally couldn't respond to it
PeenusWeenusCaimOct 31, 2014 12:45 AM
Oct 31, 2014 12:49 AM

Apr 2013
Udgey said:
How the hell do you deal with control warriors and ragnaros the firelord.

I got combo'd by a alexstraza and a ragnaros and I literally couldn't respond to it
What rank are you? Control warrior is like the most expensive deck in the game.

Uh, so if you're playing zoo you want to finish the game early. If he can play ragnaros and still retain board control that means you were destroyed early game. Flood the board so rag is useless. In any case, as zoo, you want to almost end the game by turn 5 or 6 by establishing extremely strong board control.

If you're playing mage...try to keep the warrior frozen with water elementary so he can't use weapons to trade efficiently. Save polymorph and other hard removal for his big shit: cairne, ysera, rag, sylvanas, Alex, etc. playing mana warm turn one is risky, because of war axe. If you run mirror images, try to play the two together.

Other tips: playing something with 3 or less health on turn 1 or two may not be the best idea. Warriors always mulligan for axe.

Be careful of brawl on turn 5 and above. If warrior doesn't play any minions, do t flood the board. There's a high chance he's baiting you so that his brawl is better.

If are going to play a big minion, try to strip the warrior of his armor first so he can't shield slam. Be aware that shield block+shield slam is a combo at turn 4 and above, so you're 5 health or below minions are vulnerable to that. You can't play around execute, unfortunately.

Be careful of black knight, since some warriors run it.

Try not to go below 13 health with an empty board, since warrior can deal 12 damage from their hand with gromash+taskmaster. If he's already played two taskmasters, make sure not to go below 11. This is especially true if he plays deaths bit and attacks the previous turn.

Warrior has no ways of dealing direct damage. This means that you're safe from spells and can rely on taunts.
Oct 31, 2014 12:59 AM

Oct 2013
haven't played in a while, thank god for stale HS meta (۶•̀ᴗ•́)۶

is it worth buying the last naxx quarter if i hate playing druid/rogue? i can't think of any other classes that could make use of ooze or shade.

Oct 31, 2014 1:03 AM

Apr 2013
Mojibake said:
haven't played in a while, thank god for stale HS meta (۶•̀ᴗ•́)۶

is it worth buying the last naxx quarter if i hate playing druid/rogue? i can't think of any other classes that could make use of ooze or shade.
I wouldn't say so. I think people have experimented with ooze in zoo, but haunted creeper is usually better. I've only seen shade in rouge and druid. Kel'thuzad is a pretty cool card, but he's not very good.

And fuck this meta. I just want to play freeze mage, but goddam warrior and hunters never die.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Gacha Survey

Shizuna - Apr 11

46 by 0arche »»
42 minutes ago

» What's the funnest local multiplayer game with friends.

SnipeStrike - Apr 16

9 by FanofAction »»
4 hours ago

» Rarest/Coolest gaming related things you own.

SnipeStrike - 8 hours ago

3 by Theo1899 »»
6 hours ago

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3503 by DesuMaiden »»
10 hours ago

» What's a hated game that you actually enjoyed?

SnipeStrike - Apr 13

26 by Theo1899 »»
Today, 1:21 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.