Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jul 19, 2012 4:17 PM

Jun 2008
o____O I can't form an opinion yet.
Aug 18, 2012 4:47 PM

May 2012
Interesting new start of this arc another book another style of drawing and they put a bit more funny part's in it, rather than the last arch's serious style!

I like it :D
Sep 5, 2012 7:44 AM

Mar 2010
last ep was so depressing
this one is just crazy
Mar 1, 2013 9:40 PM

Nov 2011
Holy shit, that music when played during those kill scenes. For just one woman to be his wife. Wow. Just wow. The second half of this episode was mindfuck.
Jun 6, 2013 7:56 AM

Jul 2009
Definitely was a big change compared to the first 4 eps which still i think keeping me depress specially regarding what happened to Yoshiko - publisher - horiki - Youzo scene. Somehow the funny scenes on ep 5 and 6 pulled me out of the hole.

Never wouldve imagined her to be a demon though, still confused with the 2nd arc 2 eps is just not enough!
オール・イズ・バニッティー

Jun 13, 2013 6:28 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Different, awesome and amazing. The guys who directed this have a fantastically warped sense of humour.

The only thing that was off was the voice of the MC. Didn't really fit the part. Otherwise brilliant.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 24, 2013 3:14 AM

Apr 2009
Shrug. Don't know what to think about this new start. The problem with short arcs and short stories is that they're short and fast, so if I don't completely understand the context and characters immediately on the outset, I'd say we've already ran into problems.

I don't think I can piece this together quite yet. I think what bothered me the most was how they're reusing the VA for Oba Yozo again for this burly fighter guy, and this change completely threw me off. They absolutely suck as a match. I guess I'm supposed to just take things at face value, but it's fucking a pain in the ass to do so. Why the hell is this guy obsessing over cherry blossoms? Why did he kill his wives? Why is he so fascinated by the new girl? Why did he kill his former wives? Where did his former wives even come from? And, of course, why the hell do we have such an awkward layer of comedy veiling the story?
Oct 8, 2013 1:34 AM

Mar 2012
Marzan said:
Different, awesome and amazing. The guys who directed this have a fantastically warped sense of humour.

The only thing that was off was the voice of the MC. Didn't really fit the part. Otherwise brilliant.

Got used to the MC after a few minutes. Loved how they started out with Comedy giving us a WTF moment after such a depressing ending to the previous arc and then having the guy kill his wives in the second half just because that women told him to do so. Looks like this will be another twisted story, at least the little girl was spared :D
Nov 17, 2013 4:41 AM

Jul 2013
Um, really random. Didn't really like this chapter. Hopefully it's better in second one... I liked previous story more :<
Apr 26, 2014 6:10 PM

Sep 2012
That was horrendous. Holy shit, what a complete disappointment from the previous episodes.

The art change sucks.

Really unlikable main guy, who's a BIG GRUF BADASS HURR DURR but also a complete and utter pushover tool. Ok... That was annoying. When he's not busy murdering innocent people, he's taking orders from a woman because.. she's pretty I guess. I can't tell if I'm supposed to hate him or not, but I certainly do.

The girl is a bitch and unlikable. And a huge brat. Don't know if I'm supposed to hate her either. But I do.

I hope everybody dies in the end.

The harem antics and chibi shit was really unwelcome. The comedy was completely out of place and unfunny. I paused this episode a few times and had to go distract myself with something else, because I couldn't bear to watch it in one sitting. If I hadn't liked the previous episodes so much, I would have dropped it by now.

I hope this shittastic arc either pulls a 180 and stops sucking cock, or fucking ends in the next episode. Damn, talk about major disappointment.
Red_KeysApr 26, 2014 6:15 PM
Jun 20, 2014 5:38 AM

Sep 2011
Wasn't feeling it at the beginning, but the moment she told him to kill everyone, I felt it.
Aug 18, 2014 3:26 PM
Jul 2012
What a manipulative bitch! Earphones, talking pig, oh god, why??
CEOJamesonAug 18, 2014 3:29 PM
Aug 24, 2014 9:26 AM

Jan 2014
Very different from the last arc in everything, or almost.
The psychological problems in which the main characters are swallowed are still there, even though I think this big rude guy is way more troubled than Youzou was.
He's never lived in the city, he lived all of his time in that mountain so he is also a shallow ignorant who obviously is very-well manipulated by that city girl who's clearly well knowledged on how do her job, coming from society. God, I hope they'll die before he could reach the city, otherwise he'll be a terror.
Besides, I still don't get why he is so afraid of cherry blossoms, and it's here that lies his problems, because whatever reason could it be, it surely isn't grounded on real threats, it's just a product of his paranoia.
That second part where he kills all of his "wives" was a shock value, it got me just because of that, but the way it was presented added a little bit of worth.
It was like watching a really messed-up and vivid classic fairy-tale where suspension of disbelief never occurs.
I didn't mind the random comedy parts, I found them nice.

Call me shallow or impressionable, but this intrigued me more than No Longer Human in just one episode.
The last arc was realistic and solid, as long as well presented, by this felt more troubled than the one before, and in a show where personal paranoias are the fulcrus, it's a good thing.
Dec 5, 2014 10:04 PM

Nov 2013
WTF HAPPENED?!

WE WENT FROM A DARK PSYCHOLOGICAL THRILLER TO A DUMB ACTION COMEDY?!

This entire episode was cringeworthy the voice acting was bad, the singing was unnecessary, the OST has taken a nosedive in quality. When the bandit was running away from the cherry blossoms at the end, I didn't even know if I should be laughing or facepalming.

THE BLOOD LOOKED LIKE FUCKING KETCHUP XD

2/5
FunnyRatmanDec 5, 2014 10:09 PM

Mar 3, 2015 7:50 AM

Dec 2013
At first I was like: 'What the fuck is this shit comedy?' but it quickly got on the right track.
May 16, 2015 8:35 PM

Jun 2014
"Cock is my favorite food"-- yaa whoever wrote the Engrish for that girls lines shouldve researched more.

and i doubt the guy had earphones in the original 1946 novel....
Jun 15, 2015 5:01 PM
Nov 2014
This arc gets dark real fast lol.
Jul 11, 2015 9:21 PM

Jul 2011
Okay, I was outraged for a minute or two at the sudden change in pace, but I kind of welcome it considering the atmosphere of the last story. I was in stitches within the first 3 minutes when the bandit slapped the guy as he's powering up! XD

And of course high specs regardless. Look at the blood splatters! High quality stuff.
Aug 14, 2015 12:10 AM

Sep 2013
I don't think the voice fits the character, it should be gruffer in my opinion, but I really liked the first song and the bubble gum/ music player made lol. Regard this some fucked up shit.
Aug 24, 2015 8:02 AM

Feb 2015
I can't believe that bandit just killed off those women without blinking twice, i thought he was gonna call her bluff.

This mix between seriousness and comedy is crazy but at least it isn't as depressing as the last arc (i hope)

Aggron said:
I don't think the voice fits the character, it should be gruffer in my opinion
Sep 17, 2015 12:14 PM

Aug 2013
What was that?! After awesome 1st chapter, this is just boring and bad in general.
The only good thing of this episode is art.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Dec 18, 2015 11:11 PM

Mar 2014
I'm liking the new art style, but the switch between comedy & serious scenes is really jarring.
Also... seriously? He meets a girl and knows her for only a few hours and then he slaughters all of the people he knew for her? That's quite a big leap in logic, especially after earlier in the episode where he was introduced as a bandit who didn't want to kill.
It's a shame, too, because all of those wives seemed like fun characters. :(

Anyway, I hope they explain that in the next episode... like was he being mind-controlled or something? Because otherwise it just makes no sense.
::End of Transmission::

Jan 12, 2016 8:50 AM

Jan 2012
Samurai era ,what a book.

Mar 8, 2016 7:51 AM

Dec 2015
Well that escalated quickly :O.
Apr 24, 2016 9:12 PM

Jun 2015
What the hell was this ?
I mean, just why did he killed those girls and that easy, just because that women told him to do it
god this guy has problems
FrancosiusApr 24, 2016 9:32 PM
May 2, 2016 3:58 AM

Feb 2016
Reminds of happy tree friends and southpark the juxtaposition of goofy comedy and ultraviolence.

In regards to the sudden leap to madness. I think they had no choice but to speed everything up to fit into 4ish episodes, I guess I'll see the rest of the arc before judging it. The book probably handled it a lot bloody better.

And that DBZ reference was fking hilarious, I never thought I'd see another anime spoof/make fun of it (not paying half-hearted homage to it) but it did it well.

3 episodes of talking and charging up when all you needed to do was slap Goku across the face!
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Jul 25, 2016 12:02 PM

Jun 2015
Nah, not feeling this arc, gonna drop it now, will rate it 9 just for the first arc.
Mar 8, 2017 6:24 PM

Jan 2015
Real change of pace compared to the last story. That moe boar was HOT !

But seriously, as a brawny thief I can't see him not taming that haughty bitch with a proper dicking... Makes no sense at all that he's listening to all her whims like a dog. Somebody call Rance, show him how it's done.
This one seems definitely inferior to the first arc.

Also, both MCs have had the same voice actor, it's a bit disturbing. Especially since they don't have the same body type or personnality at all. That thin tone of voice clearly fits the first MC better.
HapHazrDMar 8, 2017 6:42 PM
Mar 25, 2017 8:17 PM

Jul 2009
Huh, this was completely different than the last story o_O I didn't expect the MC to basically comply with everyone of that woman's demands ... even killing almost all of his former wives D: The cherry blossom scenes are definitely a little creepy but I don't really quite understand it yet. It's been a year they've been together now so I guess we'll see what happens next episode. So far I don't like this arc quite as much as the last one though :P
Apr 26, 2018 9:40 AM

Oct 2015
man, after no longer human. This was just underwhelming. Didn't like the sudden tone shifts. I'm hoping it would end up to be at least decent
May 13, 2018 2:28 AM

Aug 2017
That cherry blossom is creepy and beautiful. Ah, i didn't expect comedy in this story but hey, it's decent.

The mountain bandit have a lot of women for himself. Please, i hope that he doesn't have that little girl as a wife...pedo!!

That woman from the city is nice and ruthless. I like her. That other woman are dirty and annoying LMAO one of them spoke English!! It's a little weird that he have Yozo's voice :d

The song was well done. After the last story, this is bit weaker..

3.5/5 for this start.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Oct 28, 2018 5:44 AM

Feb 2018
I think this was necessary after no longer human, something to lighten the mood a bit, it was too dark. And the slaughter scene was really chilling.
Mar 22, 2019 11:17 AM

Mar 2017
As someone who was a bit bored by the first arc and felt down because of it oppressive atmosphere, I appreciated the mix between weird comedy and really dark stuff in this one. I am not necessarily watching this for how accurately it follows the work it is based on, only for entertainment value it provides - and that is something this episode definitely did.
Aug 10, 2019 7:45 AM

May 2016
I appreciated the sudden tonal shift at the beginning because of how realistic of a downer the previous story was even if I liked it but that scene where he killed those two guys and his previously kidnapped wives so eagerly after he claimed that he's the "kind" kind of bandit was really screwed up. I can't deny that the way those horrific murders were shown was made really creatively and with a snazzy tune to boot, though.

I don't know why he's so scared of blooming sakura flowers but I think that he's terrified of it because their explosive transformation reminds him a lot of the blood fountains that spring forth from those he killed without a moment's hesitation.

The main couple really was the epitome of extreme hedonism. They just do what they want because they want to regardless of who gets trampled over their pursuit of pleasure. Despicable~

Nov 7, 2019 2:44 AM
Jul 2018
This episode is so surprising in it's tone, atmosphere, content. One minute it looks like comedy, the next something dreadful.. just like how the narrator describes cherry blossom as something beautiful yet scary looking or the voice that is a beautiful mismtach to the protagonist's appearance or the musical during the killing spree of his former wives. eeks.
Feb 3, 2020 6:15 AM

Jul 2015
Was a bit caught off guard with the sudden comedic tone after seeing the previous story but the sudden slaughter of the wives was definitely dark

I feel like the comedy is there to mislead the viewer for the dark things going on in the background hopefully I'm not wrong on this...

Jul 20, 2020 3:09 AM

Aug 2018
Firstly, I did not like this arc at all, not funny jokes, bad seiyuu-character relationship, bad art style. It was completely WORST arc for me.

Let's look at the arc: It's about a bandit who scares of sakuras, one time when he is hunting sees totally 3 people as man 1 woman the bandit kills all of men and takes the womang along as his new wife.
He kills his 6 wife because of his new wife due to her manipulate him perfectly.
Oct 13, 2020 7:06 AM

Apr 2020
Welp. I guess no more depression, we have Super Saiyans now.
Although that Cherry Blossom tree going blood red was honestly a bit scary.
Oh wow, Character design by Tite Kubo lol, that's why the art style felt too familiar.

Holy shit that got dark so damn fast. He is seriously! ACTUALLY! KILLING THEM !!!!!
Damn, I hate them both. That poor little girl.
--AbiSa--
Oct 16, 2020 4:11 PM

Jul 2020
The voice of the MC bothers me a lot, it doesn’t suit the character!

And I thought this was just a light story, thankfully there was some twist into it. So the MC is kind of stupid, I knew he’ll follow anything that girl will order him to do so like killing all those women the moment he look for her stupid hair clip. Though that girl is pretty much the most interesting character in this arc. I have a feeling she’s gonna lead him to his death.
Oct 4, 2021 9:33 AM

Sep 2016
The thing I'm liking the most in this story is how it is being presented as a theatrical/musical piece. And I'm not finding the protagonist voice out of place at all.
Nov 2, 2021 7:07 AM

Jan 2020
I missed the dark atmosphere already...but seems like this is quite dark too.....
Nov 2, 2021 7:09 AM

Jan 2020
I wonder if Akiko will fall for Oba if there exist a circumstance where they meet each other....
Nov 30, 2021 1:55 PM

Mar 2020
how we went from that dark psychological shit to this simp ass mf tripping over a tree
Floyd Mayweather English Tutor
Feb 9, 2022 10:58 PM

Feb 2021
holy shit that felt outta place after no longer human

still tryna understand the meaning behind all this, its themes are much more ambiguous than the last one
Mar 21, 2023 2:59 PM

Jan 2011
huge tone shift an not in a good way
Jul 30, 2023 6:21 AM

Oct 2018
Ah new story with a new team and you can clearly see the hard-hitting camera work of Araki. The art direction is colorful, something we see him trying to go for in his latest works like Kabaneri movie and Bubble.

Still sad about someone like Hiroshi Hamasaki not being involved in Ningen Shikaku.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aoi Bungaku Series Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Oct 18, 2009

104 by JeremiahOrange »»
Feb 7, 12:59 AM

Poll: » Aoi Bungaku Series Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Nov 28, 2009

83 by hi777 »»
Jan 18, 3:25 AM

» Aoi Bungaku OST nowhere to be found.

sdziscool - Nov 28, 2013

11 by EmoDante »»
Dec 8, 2023 1:57 PM

Poll: » Aoi Bungaku Series Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ginfizz - Dec 29, 2009

186 by Etherius_ZS »»
Sep 19, 2023 9:29 AM

Poll: » Aoi Bungaku Series Episode 11 Discussion

Tiago97 - Oct 14, 2012

48 by Etherius_ZS »»
Sep 19, 2023 8:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.