Forum Settings
Forums
#1
Oct 26, 2014 12:27 PM
DB Administrator
Summer☆Time

Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 18019
Big thanks to koleare, Naru, Numi, and Snaxia for helping out this week.

You can find more details and an overview of all results in the club's official FAL Fall 2014 thread.

Points Criteria
Please see the Rules thread.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Discussion posts ARE counted this week
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Week 4 Anime Points:


Total Weekly Points Rankings:


Total Overall Points Rankings:


Highest Unique Team Score:


Ace users:


Team Rankings:


Errors:


FAL banners:
Get your own FAL banner here!
 
#2
Oct 26, 2014 12:29 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 468
Congrats to all my comrades!
 
#3
Oct 26, 2014 12:30 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 113369
-10? Damn it...out of top 30 now. Terra Formars is doing its damage to me on my team until I can swap it out.

Looks like Higashi is leading this right now. Nice bro.
 
#4
Oct 26, 2014 12:32 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 1404
Ok. Lets end Fal now. damn ookami not doing well
 
#5
Oct 26, 2014 12:35 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 11061
Wowwe. Our train is continuing to go down. 51 now... Well the shoujos are getting beaten badly i think this week is where our train stops.
 
#6
Oct 26, 2014 12:47 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 15458
annnnnd i'm in the top 10. awesome~ but now the question is if it will stay this way or if i will drop... i'm especially worried about ookami shoujo.
 
#7
Oct 26, 2014 12:52 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 620
-47 was expected. Okay bye Terra Formars. Its time to breathe better.
 
#8
Oct 26, 2014 12:54 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 10990
Another +30 jump :D Reached top40 now :3
 
#9
Oct 26, 2014 12:56 PM
Kanade♥

Online
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 9795
Next week is Fav and Simulcasts... If the same points goes around for both sides this week, I'll be first place ;). Was 3k Behind all the people grouped together and now I'm only 1.8k behind. Math Fail.
Modified by Tyrel, Oct 26, 2014 1:05 PM
 
Oct 26, 2014 12:57 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 113369
Tyrel said:
Next week is Fav and Simulcasts... If the same points goes around for both sides this week, I'll be first place ;). Was 3k Behind all the people grouped together and now I'm only 1.8k behind.


:O
 
Oct 26, 2014 12:59 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 18199
17 now, not bad, Bahamut has been getting the popularity it deserves in the last couple weeks, bad me for me but it deserves it, I thought about picking it but it was way too unhyped at the start, showing it's true colors now.
Shirobako has been a real suprise too, those 2x points are really coming into play, I'm wondering if people will swap it in and ending up screwing themselves and the other over.
Nanatsu no Taizai could be ranking so much better if Netflix didn't pick it up, still, it's doing really well given it's situation.
 
Oct 26, 2014 1:02 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 8785
Tyrel said:
Next week is Fav and Simulcasts... If the same points goes around for both sides this week, I'll be first place ;). Was 3k Behind all the people grouped together and now I'm only 1.8k behind.


You went from 3.1k behind to 1.9k behind. So if exactly the same thing happened again then next week you would be 0.7k behind.
Weekly light novel releases (from 20/10/2014)
Bestselling light novel volumes of the year/all time* (and more in the same club).
*that there is data for

There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
 
Oct 26, 2014 1:04 PM
Kanade♥

Online
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 9795
I think simulcasts might hurt me though... Does Netflix count?
kuuderes_shadow said:

Tyrel said:
Next week is Fav and Simulcasts... If the same points goes around for both sides this week, I'll be first place ;). Was 3k Behind all the people grouped together and now I'm only 1.8k behind.


You went from 3.1k behind to 1.9k behind. So if exactly the same thing happened again then next week you would be 0.7k behind.


Math fail 101.
 
Oct 26, 2014 1:04 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 113369
Regarding Nanatsu, does anyone know why CR didn't manage to pick it up but instead went to Netflix this season?
 
Oct 26, 2014 1:09 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 18199
Stark700 said:
Regarding Nanatsu, does anyone know why CR didn't manage to pick it up but instead went to Netflix this season?


Netflix probably thinks it's popular enough in the west and it's probably more profitable for them to buy all the rights and don't let anyone else touch it.
And Netflix can easily beat CR if they want to.

Tyrel said:
I think simulcasts might hurt me though... Does Netflix count?
kuuderes_shadow said:



You went from 3.1k behind to 1.9k behind. So if exactly the same thing happened again then next week you would be 0.7k behind.


Math fail 101.


http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1278575
Doesn't look like it, it'd take Ookami's in the race with Trinity Seven otherwise.
Modified by Paulo27, Oct 26, 2014 1:13 PM
 
Oct 26, 2014 1:16 PM
program noizes

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 885
Tyrel said:
I think simulcasts might hurt me though... Does Netflix count?


Unless there is confirmation/evidence that Netflix will stream the episodes during the FAL season, then no. If it's not available during the initial airing, it's not a simulcast. The same thing happened with Sidonia no Kishi.
 
Oct 26, 2014 2:00 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 8562
Time to use my ace for next week.
 
Oct 26, 2014 2:13 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 8132
Went up one spot to 45 but now it's starting to get hard from the looks of it.
I wonder if i will manage to keep my spot in the top 50 next week.
 
Oct 26, 2014 2:29 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1354
Yay another big jump and finally i'm in top 100, but from now on I think it would be hard to stay like this
 
Oct 26, 2014 2:34 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 470
247 => 174=> 128 => 107

I have a feeling my 6th place finish last season would not be beaten this time.
 
Oct 26, 2014 3:50 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 623
Moved up to 8th this week, but I'm probably going to drop a little next week because Nanatsu isn't going to get any simulcast points :(
 
Oct 26, 2014 3:53 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 18109
Free fall damn it. Curse you Terra Formars.
"Kickstarter for Rokujouma physical book is live. Click here to participate."

Current status (10/10): All goal cleared
Stretch goal 3 (15/10): $96,512/85,000
 
Oct 26, 2014 3:57 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 206
Congrats to anyone that picked Bahamut. I wish I'd've had your foresight.

Also kinda mad that Trinity Seven is beating my Ookami Shoujo. Damn.
 
Oct 26, 2014 4:04 PM
Kanade♥

Online
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 9795
Looking back, I shouldn't have swapped Terra Formars for Nanatsu, but rather for Ookami. Losing those I think 22k 8k Simulcast points is gonna HURT hard.

Edit: Didn't know it was 4 regions max.
Modified by Tyrel, Oct 26, 2014 5:24 PM
 
Oct 26, 2014 4:56 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 30
If I can reach my goal of top 100 for the season I'll be very happy. Having three of the top five might be able to help me snatch that ranking, but having Greco and Twintails on my bench might be too big of a blunder for me to get all I can get out of this season.

Also F.U. Netflix ;_;
 
Oct 26, 2014 5:05 PM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 31365
Nice, thanks to my name starting with H I can lead the rankings this week :>.

Tyrel said:
Looking back, I shouldn't have swapped Terra Formars for Nanatsu, but rather for Ookami. Losing those I think 22k Simulcast points is gonna HURT hard.


22k? I thought 8k was the maximum for simulcast points since only 4 regions are counted?

Listen, everybody wants change, don't nobody want to change though
don't nobody want to pray, till they got something to pray for
now everybody's gonna die, but don't everybody live though
 
Oct 26, 2014 5:08 PM
program noizes

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 885
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Tyrel said:
Looking back, I shouldn't have swapped Terra Formars for Nanatsu, but rather for Ookami. Losing those I think 22k Simulcast points is gonna HURT hard.


22k? I thought 8k was the maximum for simulcast points since only 4 regions are counted?


That is correct.

2000 points for the USA
2000 points for Canada
2000 points for UK and/or Ireland
2000 points for Australia and/or New Zealand
 
Oct 26, 2014 5:22 PM
Kanade♥

Online
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 9795
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Nice, thanks to my name starting with H I can lead the rankings this week :>.

Tyrel said:
Looking back, I shouldn't have swapped Terra Formars for Nanatsu, but rather for Ookami. Losing those I think 22k Simulcast points is gonna HURT hard.


22k? I thought 8k was the maximum for simulcast points since only 4 regions are counted?
Ah, was it? Not up to date ;_;. I really only paid attention to FAL recently, so that's actually news to me.

I should read the rules more carefully.
 
Oct 26, 2014 5:33 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 372
I'm going down D:
 
Oct 26, 2014 5:39 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 8989
+5 to 187

I should be getting 28k points from simulcast next week. I don't see many other opportunities for big-ish rank jumps unless Motomete gets double points sometime soon. I'm really wishing I had stuck with Grisaia instead of risking for the double points right about now. >.>

Then again, if I had realized sequels do horribly in FAL, I'd be fairing pretty decently anyway. I would have had Grisaia plus Inou Battle in my team with Motomete to fall back on.
 
Oct 26, 2014 5:48 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 2969
Love my Bahamut pick, but fuck you netflix. Knew I should've picked Grisaia.
 
Oct 26, 2014 9:06 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 2895
Hopefully moving into the top 20 next week, now that I'll be able to swap Shigatsu in. Those weeks without it in my team mean that I'll probably never catch up to Higashi and co.

Now we're starting to see which shows have peaked in watcher count, and which ones keep going. From the top 3, Grisaia might be starting to peak, there are a lot of shows not far behind it.
 
Oct 26, 2014 9:37 PM
Dovahkiin
Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3162
Totally forgot to choose an ace up until now. T_T Oh well.
 
Oct 26, 2014 10:18 PM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 31
So two questions regarding future scoring:


1) The +10000 point bonus for licensing at week 13. Will it count for Nanatsu no Taizai? It's licensed by Netflix and is not currently being simulcasted by them, so they're not a "simulcast only" company. But also, they don't usually do home video releases. The TL;DR: will I get screwed over TWICE (since next week is simulcast points week) if I swap in this series?


2) Dropped series give -4 points each on week 4. That's pretty straightforward. But how do the -6, -8, & -12 points work for subsequent weeks? Is it just total number of drops multiplied by -6, -8, or -10? Or does it only count NEW drops? Because it will make a BIG difference for some series. In other words, if it's TOTAL drops that are scored at each week, then Terra Formars is now "scorched earth" simply because so many people have dropped it. But otherwise, it could be worth swapping back in later on? I ask because uncensored versions have now aired, which could potentially rekindle viewership, or at least help the series to stop hemorrhaging viewers.
Modified by Ayanami22, Oct 27, 2014 11:14 AM
 
Oct 26, 2014 11:20 PM
program noizes

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 885
Ayanami22 said:
So two questions regarding future scoring:


1) The +10000 point bonus for licensing at week 13. Will it count for Nanatsu no Taizai? It's licensed by Netflix and is not currently being simulcasted by them, so they're not a "simulcast only" company. But also, they don't usually do home video releases. The TL;DR: will I get screwed over TWICE (since next week is simulcast points week) if I swap in this series?


2) Dropped series give -4 points each on week 4. That's pretty straightforward. But how do the -6, -8, & -12 points work for subsequent weeks? Is it just total number of drops multiplied by -6, -8, or -12? Or does it only count NEW drops? Because it will make a BIG difference for some series. In other words, if it's TOTAL drops that are scored at each week, then Terra Formars is now "scorched earth" simply because so many people have dropped it. But otherwise, it could be worth swapping back in later on? I ask because uncensored versions have now aired, which could potentially rekindle viewership, or at least help the series to stop hemorrhaging viewers.


1) License points are only awarded when home video rights are explicitly mentioned or strongly implied. In a previous season a show which was snagged by Netflix did not receive the 10000 points for licenses in week 13 - this was Sidonia no Kishi this past spring. While this is the only precedent concerning Netflix that I am aware of, there have also been instances where distributors - such as but not limited to FUNimation - only publicly announced streaming rights for a given show, as opposed to home video rights as well. Those shows also did not receive the license points.

So, whether or not Nanatsu no Taizai receives license points in week 13 will depend on two factors: whether Netflix states or strongly implies they will go this route, and whether a distributor for one of the other regions we award license points for snags the home video rights for the series, because then it'll be moot. License points are counted as long as it's for anywhere in the regions USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, or New Zealand.

2) Total number of drops. Yes, it does mean that shows with a large number of drops will lose a lot of points in those weeks. Edit: Ah, also, that -12 you listed should be a -10. Thought I should clarify that.
Modified by Numi, Oct 26, 2014 11:32 PM
 
Oct 27, 2014 1:00 AM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 40
Paulo27 said:
Shirobako has been a real suprise too, those 2x points are really coming into play, I'm wondering if people will swap it in and ending up screwing themselves and the other over.

That's exactly what's happening. It already got swept in twice so for the moment double points are gone. Hopefully others will swap it out.
 
Oct 27, 2014 6:32 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 900
-22 (;_;)
Looks like I won't make it to the top 100 this season...

Anime List ✼ Manga List ✼ 2019 AWC ✼ 2019 MRC ✼ credit^ 
 
Oct 27, 2014 6:55 AM
# t i r e d

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 4607
+2 yay~
 
Oct 27, 2014 11:11 AM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 31
Numi said:

1) License points are only awarded when home video rights are explicitly mentioned or strongly implied. In a previous season a show which was snagged by Netflix did not receive the 10000 points for licenses in week 13 - this was Sidonia no Kishi this past spring. While this is the only precedent concerning Netflix that I am aware of, there have also been instances where distributors - such as but not limited to FUNimation - only publicly announced streaming rights for a given show, as opposed to home video rights as well. Those shows also did not receive the license points.

So, whether or not Nanatsu no Taizai receives license points in week 13 will depend on two factors: whether Netflix states or strongly implies they will go this route, and whether a distributor for one of the other regions we award license points for snags the home video rights for the series, because then it'll be moot. License points are counted as long as it's for anywhere in the regions USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, or New Zealand.


Thanks for the answers!

I find it more than a little ironic that Nanatsu no Taizai being picked up by a giant like Netflix has actually been nothing but BAD news for fans who want to watch it simulcast and for anyone who put it in their FAL team.

I wonder if scoring could be adjusted in future FALs specifically for Netflix series (and other big streamers like Hulu or Amazon Prime), since it SHOULD be a sign of HIGH interest.
Modified by Ayanami22, Oct 27, 2014 11:15 AM
 
Oct 27, 2014 11:56 AM
program noizes

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 885
Ayanami22 said:

I wonder if scoring could be adjusted in future FALs specifically for Netflix series (and other big streamers like Hulu or Amazon Prime), since it SHOULD be a sign of HIGH interest.


There are FAL shows that have appeared on Hulu during their initial airing season. These shows were available on that site and others due to companies that acquired streaming rights and used Hulu and said others as the places to host the streaming. A good example of such a company is Aniplex. In cases like these, the shows got simulcast points. The main reason why Netflix doesn't get it is because they wait until after the entire series has finished airing on Japanese TV before making it available to online viewers in Netflix's regions, rather than doing it as a simulcast. So, it has been addressed, just in a way that takes a little explanation.
Modified by Numi, Oct 27, 2014 12:12 PM
 
Top