Forum Settings
Forums

What's more important to you...reviews, recommendations, or characters/voice actors?

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Post New Reply
Poll: Which do you value more on the anime/manga pages?

Feb 8, 2008 5:55 PM

Shiranai said:
Reviews SHOULD be near the top. Recommendations are kinda iffy because people make some retarded ones sometimes. If someone's taking the time to read character bios, I'm sure they'll do a little extra scrolling.

I agree with you.
Personally I don't mind the current layout, but it would be helpful to have the reviews before the recommendations, then the fansubbing groups, etc.
avatar credit goes to Tifa@MAL ::tnx!::

Feb 8, 2008 7:01 PM

I think "characters" is quite important because it helps me to understand the storyline and genre of the story better after the synopsis of the story.

Read through my journey on attempting the challenge in MAL blog!

Feb 8, 2008 8:04 PM
i like recomadations becuse it helps me find an anime out of them all then i read the summary then the reviews if im ify on an anime but the order it is in now is good

Feb 8, 2008 10:25 PM

Crystal said:
Remember to report the bad recommendations and reviews people! I'll delete them for you (I've deleted plenty already). That said, besides deleting we also need more people to write quality reviews, especially for lesser known series. Don't try to complain too much about the quality unless you're putting something into the site also. I normally don't delete bad recs or reviews for series that have nothing else on them.

Hmm. My opinion. This is sort of a hard one. I don't look at reviews since I tend to watch everything myself (or I try too) and evaluate it from there. I do look at recommendations (mostly manga though since anime I've already heard of most known anime) no matter how bad they are sometimes and characters only if I've seen the series. I'm sort of fine with it as it is. But that's more because I'm used to how they

we're not allowed to delete unless they are _really_ dumb though :(

well, that's what xinil has said to me >_>

Feb 8, 2008 10:27 PM

Like others, I like the way it is now. It's a logical stream and we all know where to look when we're looking for specific information. Even if I do want to see something at the bottom, it doesn't kill me to scroll down.

I think the characters should definitely stay where they are -- I hardly ever follow the links before watching a show (for fear that the character desc will give things away in the plot), but I do find myself going back to pages while watching to check out the voice actor or to remind myself of names/relationships a lot and... well, like someone else said, facts before opinions.

If I was determined to make a change, the things that come to mind is the forum discussion and the recommendations. I think the synopsis, relations and the characters should stay put.

The only reason to change the positioning of the forum discussion would depend on who your audience for the page is: is your primary audience people who already watch the show and want to talk about it or is your primary audience people who are considering watching the show. I think the answer to that question would decide whether to put the reviews before the discussion or the reverse.

The recommendations, I think, could be moved further down. Recommendations for other shows like the show you're looking at already assumes that you like the show and want to see others like it based on similarities people see between this show and another... which I kind of see as, like, a last step -- because the recommendation is actually a springboard to other pages and least concerned (relatively) with the page you're already on. Does that make sense?

So, in terms of thinking of the layout as starting with an introduction and going progressively "deeper" into the show, I think my most logical progression would be: synopsis, anime/manga relations, characters, reviews, discussion, clubs and recommendations. Even though I take reviews with a grain of salt, regardless of what I think, the purpose of a review (to the reader) is introductory, right? So I think that's how I would have done it if I was starting it from scratch.

All this said, I do like the way it is now. But you know... I like throwing my $.02 around. ;)
Modified by lowell, Feb 8, 2008 10:32 PM

Feb 8, 2008 10:39 PM

selective_yellow said:

But they are really dumb though. D:

Feb 9, 2008 1:33 AM

Something else to consider is the Fansub groups. I think they are fairly important, as well. Although not as important as Reviews or Characters, they are a very key decision maker, for me at least, as to whether I will pick up a show or not. A little off topic, but for the fansub groups it would be handy to see what episodes they have done up to (ala AniDB) or have dropped, but that's a whole different can of worms on its own.

Feb 9, 2008 2:03 AM

it's fine the way it is :)

Sometimes, we just don't realise how much someone means to us until they're G O N E . .

Feb 9, 2008 2:44 AM

Crystal said:
selective_yellow said:

But they are really dumb though. D:

maybe you should create a review and recommendation review and management team like you have a news team. they'd watch anime specifically to write reviews and do the quality check work on the submitted stuff.

--- Currently Under Construction ---

Feb 9, 2008 2:51 AM

Cihan said:
I think the anime pages are perfect the way they are. They're in a logical sequence, kind of similar to IMDB. After the synopsis, you want a cast list, then recommendations gives you a further idea of the genre of the anime, and lastly reviews by regular people.

You're basically easing a reader into the anime, starting superficially with the bare basics, and ending with an indepth look. Optional info such as music, forums and fansubbers belong at the bottom as they are.

Seriously, its perfect the way it is. I personally would be very disappointed if the layout changed.

This man said it.

Feb 9, 2008 3:54 AM

I'd say REVIEWS because I've probably done the most on this site. ^_^
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Feb 9, 2008 5:29 AM

Well, I'd say reviews too... it's pretty useful.

Feb 9, 2008 6:27 AM

No need to make some long old post about how I agree with the majority.

Short version: I think the pages fine the way they are.

I won't say antything about the quality of the reviews, since I never write any and should before I start judging. I don't usually use them, however.

Feb 9, 2008 8:21 AM

quitearush said:
This isn't on the poll, but I think the pictures page is most important, since I'm a stickler for animation quality/art style. I can look at pictures and decide if something is worth watching or not.

I agree with quitearush. I'm not too picky about the quality or style but I do like to see pictures from the anime I'm gonna watch. Seeing pictures helps give you an idea of the feeling and atmosphere of the anime.

Feb 9, 2008 8:46 AM

Recommendations, it's the reason i joined the site. And it has proven very useful!

Feb 9, 2008 11:00 AM

Whatever you do, just don't remove anything. ^_^ The pages aren't super-long and aren't annoying to navigate.

What I've been looking at recently is the Fansubbing Groups section to see the ratings. I don't think it should be moved higher or lower on the page, necessarily, but it's just where I often go to.

If you're thinking of allowing us to customize our own personal anime page layout (kinda like how Facebook does it), then I say sure if and only if it doesn't make the page take longer to load.

A lot of customization means more Flash or more Javascript or such, right? My highest priority is a fast-loading page. Ever since Facebook has put up custom Applications, many of my friends' pages have taken much longer to load, and that's more annoying to me than all the extra content I could read about them on the page.

It's why my favorite search engine is Google. Their front page (the basic one, not iGoogle) is just one image and a few links and some text -- that's it. Fastest-loading front page ever. Very useful.

Currently, MyAnimeList loads just fine. The Anime List is the only slow place, but I don't mind it, because it SHOULD be totally customizeable and have a lot of features. That's what this whole place is about. And I enjoy clicking that + and having the episode number increment automatically.

So I guess there's a happy equilibrium of features/content versus speed/efficiency?

(Wow this post became long.)

Feb 9, 2008 12:49 PM

Definetly recomendations, at least from people (on-line or in real life) who's tastes I know. I've gotten burned more than once relying on written reviews, and while a good seiyu or voice actor can make or break a series, I just don't know them well enough to search out a series based on just that.

Feb 9, 2008 12:50 PM

If you dont like the characers of an anime, you definitely wont like the anime. There must always be a character you like.

Feb 9, 2008 1:09 PM

Crisu said:
Whatever you do, just don't remove anything. ^_^ The pages aren't super-long and aren't annoying to navigate.

Yeah I agree with Crisu... the way the site is laid out is just fine and I don't think that anything needs to changed but I won't mind some minor things added. ^_^
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Feb 9, 2008 3:11 PM

Put the reviews on a separate page maybe, because sometimes there are a lot of them. I think the recommendations are more important than the reviews.
Modified by Juliab, Feb 9, 2008 3:23 PM

Feb 9, 2008 3:15 PM

Crisu said:

Yup, and for some reason I didn't TL;DR XD

Feb 9, 2008 6:13 PM

Juliab said:
Put the reviews on a separate page maybe, because sometimes there are a lot of them. I think the recommendations are more important than the reviews.

The reviews already have a separate page but anime/manga fans may want to instantly have an idea on a what a show is about, which is why the popular reviews are on the anime/manga page. ^_^

Feb 9, 2008 7:04 PM

i voted for character..^^

Feb 9, 2008 8:34 PM

Cihan said:
I think the anime pages are perfect the way they are. They're in a logical sequence, kind of similar to IMDB. After the synopsis, you want a cast list, then recommendations gives you a further idea of the genre of the anime, and lastly reviews by regular people.

You're basically easing a reader into the anime, starting superficially with the bare basics, and ending with an indepth look. Optional info such as music, forums and fansubbers belong at the bottom as they are.

Seriously, its perfect the way it is. I personally would be very disappointed if the layout changed.

I totally agree. Well said. Therefore, I voted characters.

Feb 9, 2008 10:57 PM
Characters/Voice Actors (your vote) ^_^

Anyway does this mean CHARACTER Information get improve as well?

Anyway I love if there a way to remove "recommendation" or at least reduce it priority. Meaning you have to click "More recommendations" to see that certain recommendation <== confusing?. Some kind of approve system?

Feb 9, 2008 11:35 PM

I prefer the characters first. Followed by reviews, recommendations, and then misc. stuff like OP/ED, fansub groups & related clubs.

Feb 10, 2008 1:25 AM

I'll watch anime based on groups and voice actors a lot

Feb 10, 2008 1:30 AM

Characters and voice actors

Feb 10, 2008 2:19 AM

Xjellocross said:
Crisu said:
Yup, and for some reason I didn't TL;DR XD

Well I appreciate that. ^_^ It must mean I write well or at least keep people's attention with my flow. :P

Regarding other discussion: Putting things on separate pages makes me lazy about clicking and seeing all of them. I like how reviews are cropped (so they don't take up a lot of space in my opinion, and I have a show/hide link to read more.

Feb 10, 2008 3:07 AM
I like the way it is.

Forum discussions should be above the recs and reviews though.

Feb 10, 2008 3:27 AM
I' on MAL mprimairily to find other stuff to watch.
The recommendations and reviews here aren't perfect, but they're the most usefull tool in my selection process after the synopsis.

Characters/voice actors? Yes, that would be important if:
- the synopsis didn't give you a basic idea about them already (and it almost always does)
- you have a clue about what voice actors are any good (to which I'm totally oblivious)

It's not like on IMDB where an actor's involvement in a project says something about the project. Voice actors have nowhere near the control over their characters that normal actors have.

Feb 10, 2008 5:41 AM

AhhhhhTT_____TT
Its such a shame characters are going to win... that really is the least important thing you can look... I mean... who looks up character bios BEFORE they watch a show??? Unless they're really shallow and only base their preference in the show on character art or Seiyuus??? Looking up character info usually spoils the story plot.
Oh well>.<

On the other hand I believe there should be a "character" recommendation~ like there's anime recomendationsXD
That give link to similar characters from other anime~ so you get a feel for the protagonist before the series which a summary won't give you.
***Is 1/2 asleepXD Maybe thats a stupid idea?

selective_yellow said:
Crystal said:
Remember to report the bad recommendations and reviews people! I'll delete them for you (I've deleted plenty already). That said, besides deleting we also need more people to write quality reviews, especially for lesser known series. Don't try to complain too much about the quality unless you're putting something into the site also. I normally don't delete bad recs or reviews for series that have nothing else on them.

Hmm. My opinion. This is sort of a hard one. I don't look at reviews since I tend to watch everything myself (or I try too) and evaluate it from there. I do look at recommendations (mostly manga though since anime I've already heard of most known anime) no matter how bad they are sometimes and characters only if I've seen the series. I'm sort of fine with it as it is. But that's more because I'm used to how they

The problem isn't that they're "BAD" reviews... most of them say alot of information about the series... but then give the scores straight 10!!! for everything... THEN crazy fans go out of their way to bump the best review and bump down the realistic reviews:
For example:
http://myanimelist.net/anime.php?id=1195

Zero no Louise has an average rating of: 7.95
(which whoever would give it above a 7 is beyond meXD But beyond my opinion of the show just compare the grades and the quality of the reviews given)

The "top" review gives it a 10/10~ with only 12/18 people agreeing with it~

Then the 2 under it give an amazing summary~ and actual reasons for why they gave it the score it got~ 6/10 and 5/10
Those scores are the least bias~ and closer to the average grade~ for some reason don't have the top spot even though they're a more honest opinion of the show~

This is the way 90% of the pages seem to beXD
You have to go sometimes 3-4 reviews in till you find one that tells you anything accurate about the series~ besides "OMG this series is the best" or something like that...
Anyways~ I've ranted enough~ just wanted to point that out.
Modified by Bluesnow, Feb 10, 2008 7:24 AM

Feb 10, 2008 11:34 AM

characters are more important to me.

Feb 10, 2008 1:59 PM

Bluesnow said:
AhhhhhTT_____TT
Its such a shame characters are going to win... that really is the least important thing you can look... I mean... who looks up character bios BEFORE they watch a show??? Unless they're really shallow and only base their preference in the show on character art or Seiyuus??? Looking up character info usually spoils the story plot.
Oh well>.<

I totally agree.

I see no point in looking at the characters before even starting the series.

Feb 10, 2008 2:01 PM

I still say character ^_^

Feb 10, 2008 2:57 PM

Reviews for me. They are usually more precise than an official description, and when I look at a new/unwatched series' page, I want to know what it is about.

Feb 10, 2008 3:27 PM

I voted for forum discussion. I like to find out what people think of specific episodes soon after they viewed them. But, thats just me.

Feb 10, 2008 3:32 PM

i definitely just clicked the wrong option. i hit recommendations instead of reviews. i like reviews but at times they can be kind of biased. but this is what essential decides it for me to take on a different anime.

Feb 10, 2008 6:31 PM

I voted Characters, as that is normally the first thing that draws me to an anime. Reviews are normally something I don't read until after the anime, solely upon the reason that I feel it will either spoil or hype my image of an anime more than necessary before watching. However, Recommendations from friends are incredibly important as well, if someone says something is good, then I'll look into it.

Bluesnow said:
AhhhhhTT_____TT
Oh well>.<

Before I watch an anime I research the characters, how is that a bad thing at all? I mean - after all, the characters are what make an anime come to life with the personalities and reactions that come from it, unless the character biography is completely blatant about the story, I find some slight insights into the story pique my interest in it. Also, pleasant artistic style and vocal quality are also attractors, watching something completely ugly to the eyes or ears is rather redundant as that'd make the enjoyment level very low.
Modified by DivergentKarma, Feb 10, 2008 6:39 PM

Feb 10, 2008 6:39 PM

This is kind of off topic but:

I don't remember exactly who first mentioned it, but I did like the idea of being able to give feedback on recommendations. Maybe helpful/unhelpful or agree/disagree for recs too, so you can tell if it's just one off-the-wall rec or if everyone silently agrees with it?

Feb 10, 2008 8:31 PM

You know, I actually like checking the Character profiles and their Voice Actors (to see if they are in any other anime). But next would be Discussion. I would put Recommendations 3rd. And Reviews last because when I read them (which is hardly ever), I only do it AFTER I finish the series, not before or during.

lowell said:
This is kind of off topic but:

I don't remember exactly who first mentioned it, but I did like the idea of being able to give feedback on recommendations. Maybe helpful/unhelpful or agree/disagree for recs too, so you can tell if it's just one off-the-wall rec or if everyone silently agrees with it?
I've been thinking the same thing.

Feb 10, 2008 10:26 PM

I voted characters. If I need a review or recommendation, I'll just ask someone whose opinion I trust. It's also a good way to preview the art style.

Feb 10, 2008 11:38 PM

Considering that most people already put characters as the most important, I voted for recommendations, since that's the 2nd thing I usually look to after checking out the characters. As other people said already, I'm okay with how the layout is right now, but I'd probably move the forum discussions to the very bottom so that they'll be easier to find.

Feb 11, 2008 9:11 AM

I voted for characters.

Feb 11, 2008 10:13 AM

Recommendations have helped me find quite a few series to look into since I've joined this site. It's true that sometimes they are a little (or a lot) off, but so far I've been able to tell by the grammar/spelling/reasoning/effort put into the recommendation who to listen to and who to ignore.

Feb 11, 2008 10:19 AM

Dotastrife said:
Recommendations have helped me find quite a few series to look into since I've joined this site. It's true that sometimes they are a little (or a lot) off, but so far I've been able to tell by the grammar/spelling/reasoning/effort put into the recommendation who to listen to and who to ignore.

exactly. even though some of the recomendations are "its the sequel." or "same author" "same company" there are some well thought out reccomendations out there, and most of the time when a series has multiple recs for it its worth checking out.

though i still think everything is fine the way it is now...

Feb 11, 2008 2:47 PM

I've always said that the worst part about anime fandom are the fans, and with moetards and shounen freaks dominating the fandom, I find it useful to search for series that relatively few people have seen, so the first thing I see when looking at a series is the number of members that have viewed it. Not too few and not too many. Something between 200 and 500 seems about right.

Feb 11, 2008 7:40 PM

Characters and voice actors by far.

Feb 11, 2008 8:30 PM

i'd say recomendations AND reviews take too much space, and since they have their own pages why not make them a link list much like Related Clubs & Related Anime that way pages will look less like a myspasm page.

Feb 11, 2008 8:36 PM

It_Aint_Eazy said:
I've always said that the worst part about anime fandom are the fans, and with moetards and shounen freaks dominating the fandom, I find it useful to search for series that relatively few people have seen, so the first thing I see when looking at a series is the number of members that have viewed it. Not too few and not too many. Something between 200 and 500 seems about right.

That sounds a bit minimalistic. Given how rapidly this site is growing, even 'lesser' series each season have 1000+ viewers. The only stuff with < 500 is going to be older things pre-digisubbing, that hasn't aired on US TV, probably.

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »