Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 21, 2014 7:24 AM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
While the princess is taking a break from escaping, The childhood guy's story. He didn't like coming because it's bothersome to care for princess and king's offer about joining as princess's guard. Sakura-san voices a character who aims the little princess. He thinks that the king is not weak like everyone else think.

Interesting story of 3 of them getting fever together from playing snow, but also touching because of feel of love from the ones they love.

Back to real life and the princess experiencing nature for the first time. Cousin guy starts to act out on something as a king?

Next ep. to Wind Tribe, where childhood guy grew up.
tsubasaloverOct 21, 2014 7:49 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Oct 21, 2014 7:53 AM
Jun 2011
this was great episode it was nice to learn more about hak and yona
Oct 21, 2014 8:26 AM

Nov 2011
Figured they would show more of their past with flashbacks this episode...

A little Yona is cute tbh. Anyways, it was an alright episode. She needs to seriously be careful of what's in front of her...as in with that wild snake this episode; if she wants to live to see Soo-Won again that is.
Oct 21, 2014 8:34 AM

Jul 2010
Liked how Hak isn't exactly his normal self around Yona!

To be of the fire tribe's son they pretended to be lovers and Hak became her bodyguard too!

Hak's adoptive father xD Always ready to hit him.

Playing together in the snow and getting sick together. Showing Yona's uncle coming in too.
Everything about the Soo-Won she knows being a lie just can't be true at least while his dad is alive. Yona eating the porridge filled with love by her father ^^

Yona still unable to forget about Soo-Won :O since she went that far for the accessory. Looking forward to seeing Hak's tribe!
Oct 21, 2014 8:43 AM

Aug 2010
Amazing ep. Really great adaption so far :) And totally liking how they're keeping the monologue :3

Loved the Flashbacks so much. Yona is adorable <3

The way Hak viewed Yona was fun to see. He really liked her since then. Loved the act of them loving each other :3 Il taking that sword like nothing was :O Is he actually quite something?

And the one with the childhood of those 3 was really cute >.<!! They both really cared about Yona. The scene with them sleeping together and how she ate her dad's food even though it sucked was really heartwarming. Really sad to see what their relationship has become :(

Hak being BA at the end not giving a shit about the snakes biting him and just caring about Yona having motivation to move even if it's Baka Soo-won's present. This guy's a BRO!
Oct 21, 2014 9:20 AM

Jun 2014
Aw can't believe Soo-won & Yona's father are evil :( this episode felt like filler (I'm not sure since I haven't read the manga) but I liked the flashbacks, I really can't wait for short-haired Yona though! Hopefully we see her next week.
Oct 21, 2014 9:25 AM

Apr 2011
I'm glad they are still on the "flash back", maybe we'll see how they will meet their companions.
Oct 21, 2014 9:35 AM

Nov 2011
Hak is making the show at this point.

I initially had mixed feelings about the flashback. The first part served to establish Hak's personality better, which I liked, but the rest felt like more we already knew. I was probably just peeved at how spoiled Yona was/is, since the rest did show how Hak and Soo-Won got along and is therefore of merit.

The leech scene didn't seem like fanservice: This whole episode seemed to be directed toward fleshing out Hak and his relationships with the other characters. The snake scene contributed to that as well. (As an aside, I'm glad they noted Yona wandered into a nest; it wouldn't have made sense for the snakes to attack like that otherwise.)

Overall it was a good episode.
Oct 21, 2014 9:49 AM

Apr 2014
Little Yona was crazy adorable, and it was funny seeing little Hak blushing around her.

The King was pretty impressive, grabbing that sword blade to protect Hak and Yona. Pretty good guy.

Hak continues to be an incredible badass in the face of danger, charging through a snake nest with Yona in his arms, while also getting bitten.

I can't wait to see how the relationship between those two develops. I'm a big fan of good romance in anime, and this seems like it'll do the job.
Oct 21, 2014 9:56 AM

Dec 2012
DCDrewzee said:

I can't wait to see how the relationship between those two develops.

me too.

interesting flashback on how hak became yona's bodyguard. also we get to see the king's eyes. hak's adoptive father is so funny
Oct 21, 2014 10:05 AM
Mar 2014
babymimi said:
Aw can't believe Soo-won & Yona's father are evil :( this episode felt like filler (I'm not sure since I haven't read the manga) but I liked the flashbacks, I really can't wait for short-haired Yona though! Hopefully we see her next week.

It's not a filler chapter at all.

I like the speed with which they animated the chapter.
Oct 21, 2014 10:07 AM
Jun 2011
it seems by the preview things will get much more intresting
Oct 21, 2014 10:20 AM

Feb 2013
I'l really enjoying this, although I wish they didn't spend most the episode focusing on their childhood. I really want to see how the story progresses since it's only one cour.
Oct 21, 2014 10:22 AM
Apr 2014
Kreemy said:
since it's only one cour.

is it ? http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1278739&show=0#msg34738701
That's how I see like more than half of the MAL users with their "waifus", hentais, harems, weird-ass video games and all that shit
Oct 21, 2014 10:30 AM

May 2012
The flashbacks were adorable, no surprise Yona started to cry after waking up from such a nice dream.
It's good that Hak doesn't wear those feather-ornaments now, he looks better without them. And seeing none of them freaking out cause Hak saw her naked body was kind of refreshing...
Oct 21, 2014 10:30 AM

Oct 2014
"That King was no coward."

Something tells me that the king killing his brother is not so far-fetched after all.

That was an adorable episode.

One thing I did not like was the sound during the snake attack, I felt that the instrumentals highlighting her inability to let go of Soo-Won was out of place in that rather tense scene.

Next episode we get to see Hak's family. Ignoring any foreknowledge of manga aside, I have a feeling that Yona will get considerable development there.
Oct 21, 2014 10:31 AM
Jun 2014
Hak said he lost his mind whenever he was with the princess, but maybe, now he's grown up, that's not the case anymore. I wish I had Hak.. :P Gotta remove one of my current fav charas for him! I wonder what that thing is what Soo-Won-tachi immediately must do. O, maybe something with the Wind tribe as you could see in the preview/
jiajiaOct 21, 2014 10:36 AM

Oct 21, 2014 10:39 AM

Oct 2014
jiajia said:
Hak said he lost his mind whenever he was with the princess, but maybe, now he's grown up, that's not the case anymore. I wish I had Hak.. :P Gotta remove one of my current fav charas for him! I wonder what that thing is what Soo-Won-tachi immediately must do. O, maybe something with the Wind tribe as you could see in the preview/

He wants to replace all the curtains and chairs with something a little less flammable.

Also, make preparations for coronation.
Oct 21, 2014 10:47 AM
Aug 2014
Oh Hak, you should blush a little more xD
Oct 21, 2014 10:51 AM

Aug 2010
Kreemy said:
I'l really enjoying this, although I wish they didn't spend most the episode focusing on their childhood. I really want to see how the story progresses since it's only one cour.

It's actually 2 cour ^^
Oct 21, 2014 11:11 AM

Jan 2013
Intense episode concerning Yona's and Hak's feelings. It was interesting to see the three of them together.
And I hope Yona gets better soon.

Oct 21, 2014 11:15 AM

Nov 2013
Barion-Zara said:
Kreemy said:

It's actually 2 cour ^^

It is two cour? Sweet!

This anime has been pretty decent so far. It really makes me want to read the manga but I don't want to get ahead is the story now that the anime has started...decisions, decisions.
-----------------------------------------Dreams are what you make of them----------------------------------------

You can visit my reviewing blog at: http://dreamdialmedia.wordpress.com/ :)
Oct 21, 2014 11:47 AM

Jul 2012
HimJL7 said:
Barion-Zara said:

It's actually 2 cour ^^

It is two cour? Sweet!

This anime has been pretty decent so far. It really makes me want to read the manga but I don't want to get ahead is the story now that the anime has started...decisions, decisions.

I know I have the same feelings lol

"There are three things you can never get back: The word after it's said, the moment after it's missed, and the time after it's gone."
-Koe no Katachi

Oct 21, 2014 11:49 AM

Sep 2008
I don't know I had only this problem, but...

Background music was so loud that drowned dialogues...
Oct 21, 2014 11:52 AM

Jan 2013
Kid and teen Hak is cool. And Yona was cute.
It was a good episode, and the next one looks interesting.
Oct 21, 2014 12:18 PM
May 2014
Lancehot said:
Did not like the episode at all. I can't describe it as anything but a filler episode, which three eps in does not bode well. Two boring flashbacks that show us nothing new about any of the characters & then Yona gets herself attacked by snakes (subtle visual metaphor) because even though soo-won murdered her dad & tried to kill her, she just can't forget the nice things he said about her hair (also it's still the niight of the coup, even though it feels much longer). Hurry up & get to the part where Yona stops being ditsy, silly, shoujo princess & starts becoming the leader of the magic bandit gang.

It isn't a filler episode. It occurs pretty much the same in the manga, and it is simply more backstory
on their relationships. Episode 3 (almost) completes volume 1 of 15+.
Have faith in the Lord Fifth, gain eternal life! When the Lord Fifth appears, who dares to cause strife!
-- Lord fifth
Oct 21, 2014 12:35 PM

Oct 2011
hak was great in this episode! tbh i was close to tears at some point of the episode when yona felt hopeless ..

where can i get a hak btw? D: (ugh he's incredible, yona's so lucky to have him! i want them both to be happy together)
Oct 21, 2014 12:36 PM

Jan 2014
YES! two cour ^O^

While the king might not have liked weapons and such, he didn't hesitate to grab the sword and end up bleeding yet still not blink like it did not hurt. I hope we will see flashback at some point, explaining his reason for not accepting weapons.
Oct 21, 2014 12:40 PM

Feb 2014
I liked this episode. The leeches thing was gross! >.< Although the flashbacks are cute I want to see the story progress more!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 21, 2014 12:47 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
That was the most mature and down to earth reaction to seeing a person of the opposite sex nude I've seen in anime in some time.
Hak is slowly becoming one of those characters that are universally liked. I do hope he doesn't buy the farm (it doesn't seem that kind of series though).
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 21, 2014 12:50 PM

Mar 2014
Hak >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Soo-Won
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 21, 2014 1:01 PM

Jan 2011
It was nice to see more of their backstories and it showed even more just how sheltered Yona's upbringing was. She was pretty sharp in fighting off the advances of the son of the Fire Clan's general though and she picked up on Hak's cue very quickly. It's clear from the sword incident that Yona's father was no coward, so I suspect there was another reason for his antipathy towards weapons and fighting. No doubt we'll find out more on that in future episodes.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Oct 21, 2014 1:05 PM
Mar 2012
I find it hard to believe that Soo-Won really faked all that as a kid...

kenmas said:
where can i get a hak btw?
This.
Oct 21, 2014 1:15 PM

Dec 2013
King iL for dad of the season, seriously though that porridge won me over. Can't wait for Yona to turn into a stone cold badass.
Oct 21, 2014 1:31 PM

Apr 2012
enjoyable flashback and good Haku monologues
glad this series is getting a 2 cour treatment

Oct 21, 2014 1:56 PM

Dec 2011
LOL, Hak and his not related by blood grandpa were hilarious XD.

Awww, kid Yona was really kawaii :3

Ah, Hak snapped at Yona's remark of him now being like Soo-won.

Haha, Hak was really awesome saying Yona was his XD.

Awwww, Hak-chan blushed :3

Ah, so Hak accepted the job as her bodyguard eh.

It was really nice seeing some of Hak's memories of their childhood.

Hak vs Yona! Snowball fight on... and she's sick already... oh c'mon, now Hak and Soo-won are sick as well...

Poor Yona T.T

So Yona's depressed eh...

Yona really needs to be more careful as her carelessness got Hak injured.
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
Oct 21, 2014 2:01 PM

Mar 2009
Huh. The King wasn't too much of a coward, after all.
Oct 21, 2014 2:07 PM

Jan 2014
Cute.
Oct 21, 2014 2:41 PM

May 2013
Hak's blush make me go hnnnnnggh. So cute, oh and even their childhood days.

So, this episode shows us the bond between the three and it was innocent. Well, gotta have more respect to Hak. Next episode will be about Wind Tribe Arc and I cannot wait to see that, means major character development for Yona.

Ofc, I still can't believe for its score.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Oct 21, 2014 2:51 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
LittleStar said:

No the one I watched was the same too. It felt louder than it should've been.

Loved the flashback (chibi Yona, Hak, and Soo-Won!). It makes me so sad to see how the situation has changed so much for the three of them since their cute and happy childhood. Soo-Won honestly was an adorable kid, it's too bad he felt that he had to avenge his father this way. It hurt when they said that they could always be together ;_;

This was definitely a good episode to flesh out Hak's character, and it's always good to understand at least one or two characters from the beginning. If people like Hak, it's because there are good reasons for liking him already. He's loyal, honest, and knows what's for the best, such as when he said Yona should keep Soo-Won's present if it's what will keep her alive. Yay Mundok and other Wind Tribe people next episode~
Oct 21, 2014 3:11 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Hak's main reason for staying away from the castle was Yona. He always liked her which made him anxious, but never wanted to make it obvious since she liked Soo-won..
Little Yona was just as adorable. :3 . Loved how they both played lovers in front of that Fire Tribe guy. (^^)

I'm amazed that as much of a kid Yona was, she was still so understanding; ate her father's food even though it was terrible, and she was sorry for thinking she was alone after Hak made it clear that the king is indeed a busy person.

Last scene with Hak saving Yona from those snakes was badass! Liked how he can't forgive Soo-won but won't mind if his memento can keep Yona alive. Much respect for this guy and his true love for her.

Very good episode. Looking forward to their next stop at the Wind Clan. Plot development will finally begin!

Oct 21, 2014 3:25 PM

Apr 2013
Lancehot said:
Did not like the episode at all. I can't describe it as anything but a filler episode, which three eps in does not bode well. Two boring flashbacks that show us nothing new about any of the characters & then Yona gets herself attacked by snakes (subtle visual metaphor) because even though soo-won murdered her dad & tried to kill her, she just can't forget the nice things he said about her hair (also it's still the niight of the coup, even though it feels much longer). Hurry up & get to the part where Yona stops being ditsy, silly, shoujo princess & starts becoming the leader of the magic bandit gang.

If you don't want to wait should we skip all the manga chapters to the point Yona become badass?
Jeez....
The episode actually serves its purpose well to add backstory of the characters and strengthen the point that Soo Won betrayal was very unexpected considering that they were very close childhood friends.
Oct 21, 2014 3:29 PM

Feb 2012
LittleStar said:

Same here lol.

Anyway it was a great episode, King is clearly not a coward, he's just playing a nice guy, Soo-won knows what's up.

Flashback was really nice, next time the Wind tribe, Hak's home.
Oct 21, 2014 3:43 PM

Jul 2011
I'm more concerned with character development at this point. The flashback kind of killed the story momentum for me.

I just really want to see how the survive this ordeal and how she comes back stronger...

Can't get enough of the OP music though. Especially the slow BGM version. <3
Fan of Kunihiko Ryo. He does some good music!
Oct 21, 2014 3:45 PM

Jun 2008
ElenirLachlagos said:
I find it hard to believe that Soo-Won really faked all that as a kid...

kenmas said:
where can i get a hak btw?
This.

He clearly didnt he just said that to destroy Yona's attachment to him. Somehow along the way he became the way he is now, but honestly? I dont believe he is completely evil. In fact I believe he is good but must go to the dark path for some reason.

very cute episode~ Cant wait to see Yona becoming badass.

ワンダーランド花 ♥

Oct 21, 2014 4:11 PM
Jul 2018
It was good to see the flashback of Hak, Soo-Won and Yona as children.

Hak's father was an adoptive father.
Oct 21, 2014 4:27 PM

Jan 2011
They were so cute when they were young, especially Yona.

Also, the king grabbing the blade without hesistation (presumably) and not showing even a hint of pain..well, he is a politician for one, so he is used to wearing masks, but thats no small deed..

Wonder if we'll see what actually happend between the king and his brother, given how much time they spent on flashbacks..
Oct 21, 2014 5:04 PM

Jun 2014
A slow history episode, but good background that Hak and Soo-wan actually were REALLY close too.
Finally next episode we meet new characters and get out of the forest.
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Oct 21, 2014 5:59 PM

Jan 2011
Why the hell is this rated so low? Cose people find it too shounen-y or cliche? The show only needs decent supports at this point.
Oct 21, 2014 6:04 PM

Jun 2010
A lot of cute moments. I liked how the king grabbed the sword to protect Yona and Hak. Not a cowardly king! I'm interested in his motives for killing his brother, or about what actually happened.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2015

374 by perseii »»
Apr 8, 10:45 PM

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2014

138 by Seraschi »»
Apr 6, 1:42 PM

Poll: » should i keep watching????

Tamar5858 - Jul 31, 2022

20 by BiobulletM »»
Apr 3, 2:21 PM

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Feb 17, 2015

146 by nyaasar »»
Mar 21, 1:00 PM

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 17, 2015

148 by WolfWood37 »»
Feb 9, 1:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.