Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 19, 2014 7:25 AM

Jan 2013
Dont get me wrong, I don't mean the designs or the acting.

I mean the tone it takes.

This show is just a team working on making an anime, and I think thats exactly why MAL wont like it.

Theres no unnecessary crying or monologues.
There are no grimdark pasts.
There is no Kung Fu or super powered bad guys.

This show executes making an anime fairly well for me, but I just don't think its what western fans want to see.

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 19, 2014 7:30 AM

Aug 2013
but arupin...

Oct 19, 2014 2:27 PM
Mar 2013
I like it.
Oct 19, 2014 9:48 PM

Jul 2012
Have you seen Shounen Hollywood? That's realistic and MAL didn't like it. But it's only because it's about boys. This one revolves around girls so MAL must like it.

Jakky said:
I like it.
Oct 20, 2014 12:40 AM

Dec 2013
yeah, i felt the same way. i do like it, but i can see how people could be bored with it.

it really is too real, but finding out about this process, which i'm assuming is legit how to make an anime... interests me!

EDIT: i also like donuts. ohoho
Oct 20, 2014 2:24 PM

Oct 2012
Perhaps there is no Kung Fu or super-powered bad guys. But they had that
"Initial D" sequence at the start of Episode 1. Based on my limited knowledge
of the real-life animation industry, staff start to have mental breakdowns
along around Episode 9 or 10. So I'll expect to see a martial arts fight scene
around about then. I think that there could be a lot of super-powered guys
working in the Japanese anime industry, and probably just a few bad guys,
but I doubt that we will see any super-powered bad guys.
okanaganOct 20, 2014 2:58 PM
Oct 20, 2014 3:20 PM

Aug 2013
I'm not sure about you guys, but this show is honestly very stressful for me to watch somehow as a student.
Oct 20, 2014 6:58 PM

Sep 2012
StevenHu said:
I'm not sure about you guys, but this show is honestly very stressful for me to watch somehow as a student.

Well it's certainly a show revolving around rushed schedules, and essentially stress. Just do your best to shut down your brain and you'll probably stop realizing that you're watching a show where people go through stress, and that you're just enjoying another one of the many anime that were bound to provide entertainment.
Oct 20, 2014 7:08 PM

Jul 2012
Boombawks said:
mayukachan said:
Have you seen Shounen Hollywood? That's realistic and MAL didn't like it. But it's only because it's about boys. This one revolves around girls so MAL must like it.

Well MAL likes Kimi to Boku... Shounen Hollywood was weird and bleh imo the visuals were weird, the guys looked like girls most of the time and some of the band moments were cringe worthy. I dropped it off my list cause the faces really creeped me out.

Not really. KtB doesn't even have an 8 on MAL (excluding the second season) and I remember reading through a lot of the threads that a lot of people were bored of it.

StevenHu said:

True. It's like there's a dilemma in each episode lol
Oct 20, 2014 7:10 PM

Mar 2013
Well, it has less nothing than Glasslip...
Oct 21, 2014 12:12 AM

Jan 2014
I personally enjoy it, as i try to link each character to people I work with.

It's like watching an animated show of my group's life a few days before the dead line.

A good life lesson to manage your time effectively and have a contingency plan for when things go bad and recognize that some situations could be out of your control if you do not want to experience similar cases as the anime shows. Although that's easier said than done once you begin working for a industry. Don't mind the realism here, its a nice change of pace for me.

Oct 21, 2014 1:08 AM

Jan 2013
fst said:
Well, it has less nothing than Glasslip...

please stop crying about glasslip. it is a new season and nobody really cared what you thought about glasslip to begin with.
Oct 21, 2014 6:02 AM

Jul 2013
The best way to tell a story about the anime industry is by being realistic so I started to really love this show when episode 1 was practically about production issues & scheduling problems. Those shit are the show's own"super powered bad guys".
Oct 21, 2014 7:43 PM

Jun 2012
I'm glad they were able to get my heart working over something as simple as a character's facial expression.
Shoot first, think never.
Oct 22, 2014 10:21 AM

Sep 2010
Boombawks said:
mayukachan said:

Well MAL likes Kimi to Boku... Shounen Hollywood was weird and bleh imo the visuals were weird, the guys looked like girls most of the time and some of the band moments were cringe worthy. I dropped it off my list cause the faces really creeped me out.

I liked Shounen Hollywood, but didn't they use cgi for some dance scenes? Like why would you do that it looks totally weird and thats really the only thing that made me cringe.

I gave that a 7/10 although it took a couple episodes for me to warm up to it. Really glad its getting another season!
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Oct 22, 2014 11:08 AM

May 2009
Ah.. I was wondering if I should pick it up or not. This discussion helps!

I thought it would be cringeworthy and fanservice. Glad to know it's realistic. I shall be bak! huhuhu
_____ _ _ ______

Within pain, there is desire.

_____ _ _ ______
Oct 22, 2014 4:47 PM

Jan 2010
I think this is a really inspiring anime. At least for animator students like me. c:
Oct 22, 2014 5:39 PM
Jun 2012
Boombawks said:
Well MAL likes Kimi to Boku...

KtB is moe boys, the very point is to not be realistic. The artstyle was what you would expect too.
Oct 23, 2014 6:50 PM

Apr 2011
As long as I enjoy the show, its fine.
Oct 23, 2014 7:42 PM

Jun 2013
Guys, omg guys. What if? Now hear me out. What if...? Guys, WHAT IF.

What if this show is a subtle way of PA works apologizing for the sh*t show they put on with Glasslip? I'd be damned if they didn't reference Glasslip in this show, because there's bound to be an episode on scriptwriters, or directors, or whoever f*cked up Glasslip. And boy would that be a real human drama I'd like to watch :)

(Prolly not likely that PA works will call itself out... I was just thinking it'd be interesting)
Oct 23, 2014 9:47 PM

Jul 2014
StevenHu said:
I've been experiencing the same. D:
Oct 23, 2014 9:50 PM

Dec 2008
Personally, I am enjoying the anime very much because of its realism and because I feel it's very different from the other anime airing this season. Plus, it is an anime I can relate to since it shows very real situations that occur in many types of jobs. I hope it continues being this great.
Oct 25, 2014 8:25 AM

Feb 2008
It will bomb in Japan because it had the audacity to have a cast of young adults and not high school kids for once.
Oct 25, 2014 8:29 AM

Jan 2013
Veronin said:
It will bomb in Japan because it had the audacity to have a cast of young adults and not high school kids for once.

golden time disagrees
Oct 25, 2014 9:26 AM

Mar 2013
Oct 25, 2014 9:27 AM

Jan 2013
fst said:
As does Fate/Zero.

fate zero had a cast on grown ass adults

also inb4 thread derailed by fate talk.
Oct 25, 2014 10:05 AM

Oct 2012
It's fine to me. People liked Baukman as well, so I don't see why they can't like Shirobako. At the very least, for now, I don't think it could go lower than a 7.

Oct 25, 2014 12:34 PM

Jun 2008
SolviteSekai said:

This show is just a team working on making an anime, and I think thats exactly why MAL wont like it.

This show executes making an anime fairly well for me, but I just don't think its what western fans want to see.

What about "There is fucking nothing interesting going on"?

You said it yourself, it is "just a team working on making an anime." That shit's boring.
Oct 25, 2014 12:41 PM

Jan 2013
Redfoxoffire said:
SolviteSekai said:

You said it yourself, it is "just a team working on making an anime." That shit's boring.

needs more yuri and lasers. and sakura petals.
Oct 25, 2014 12:45 PM

Jul 2013
Veronin said:

I personally think there should be more anime with young adults as cast. Imo there's just fuck ton of shows with highschool students that act like my psychology teacher and 90% all the time they're smarter than the older ones.
Oct 25, 2014 12:47 PM

Jan 2013
This show is going to bomb because PA Works made it.
Oct 25, 2014 1:04 PM
Jul 2014
Redfoxoffire said:
SolviteSekai said:

Why are you trying to make a point against his statement by actually proving his statement?
temp_usernameOct 25, 2014 1:18 PM
Oct 25, 2014 1:18 PM

Mar 2013
SolviteSekai said:

[

SolviteSekai said:
grown ass adults

Did I mention Iri is literally 10 years old?
Oct 25, 2014 1:20 PM

Jan 2013
fst said:
SolviteSekai said:

[

[imghttp://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/425px-Young_Rin_when_she_was_child_2566.jpg[/img]

SolviteSekai said:
grown ass adults

Did I mention Iri is literally 10 years old?

ore wa.....

chin chin ga daisuki nan dayo
Oct 25, 2014 2:29 PM

Oct 2011
Huh?! I don't get you guys....
This anime is wonderful.
Why? All of you need highschool kids so much? Or fights....or some other things?
I love this anime, cause it's different from normal animes. But I'm totally in love with animes where characters on their work place. Don't know why. But I love such animes. XD
I'm enjoy this anime each episode.
Oct 25, 2014 2:30 PM

Jan 2013
-Saichi- said:
Huh?! I don't get you guys....
This anime is wonderful.
Why? All of you need highschool kids so much? Or fights....or some other things?
I love this anime, cause it's different from normal animes. But I'm totally in love with animes where characters on their work place. Don't know why. But I love such animes. XD
I'm enjoy this anime each episode.

this is the point of the thread.

this show is too normal for mal, despite everyone on mal raging because anime isnt realistic enough
Oct 25, 2014 9:48 PM

Nov 2011
pakoko said:
Guys, omg guys. What if? Now hear me out. What if...? Guys, WHAT IF.

What if this show is a subtle way of PA works apologizing for the sh*t show they put on with Glasslip? I'd be damned if they didn't reference Glasslip in this show, because there's bound to be an episode on scriptwriters, or directors, or whoever f*cked up Glasslip. And boy would that be a real human drama I'd like to watch :)
(Prolly not likely that PA works will call itself out... I was just thinking it'd be interesting)

i was thinking that too, though i never watched Glasslip. i only heard that it was terribad.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Oct 26, 2014 1:22 AM

Oct 2013
Anime needs more shit like this.
Oct 26, 2014 2:16 AM

Jun 2014
Kondo-Isao said:
Anime needs more shit like this.

Agreed, as my taste in anime is leaning towards seinen/joshi sides now. GG my youth where I enjoyed my chuuni mindset. >.>
Oct 26, 2014 2:13 PM
Nov 2013
Shows like Space Brothers and Bakuman have great ratings on MAL, this thread is just an excuse to feed into your elitism.
Oct 26, 2014 3:32 PM
Jul 2014
lejon_brames said:
Shows like Space Brothers and Bakuman have great ratings on MAL, this thread is just an excuse to feed into your elitism.
Care to elaborate?
Because it seems to me that either you're baiting or some premise is missing from that logical consequence.
Oct 26, 2014 11:28 PM

Jul 2013
Reading this makes me want to watch. Plus donut scene.
Deconstruction ≠ Darker & Edgier
Trope ≠ Cliché (Face it, nothing is completely original. Can't make something from nothing so to say.).
Fanservice ≠ Ecchi (Though ecchi can please the fans!)
Popular ≠ Sucks... maybe
Seinen = K-ON! Shounen, Shoujo, Seinen and Josei are demographics.
Anime/Manga = Japanese Cartoons! Deal with it.

Support Movember. Raise awareness of men's health issues. Put a mustache on your avatars or something...
Oct 27, 2014 3:08 AM

Jun 2008
SolviteSekai said:
needs more yuri and lasers. and sakura petals.

'Twould indeed help.

type-beta said:
Why are you trying to make a point against his statement by actually proving his statement?

Before I respond, let me ask: what point of his did I "prove?"

lejon_brames said:

Agreed.

Every time an anime about adults comes around, whether it's good or not, elitists like to come around and talk about how amazing it is because it's not about high schoolers, as if being about adults automatically makes something good.

It doesn't.
Oct 27, 2014 11:51 AM
Jul 2014
Redfoxoffire said:

SolviteSekai said:

Redfoxoffire said:
it is "just a team working on making an anime." That shit's boring.

Redfoxoffire said:
Every time an anime about adults comes around, whether it's good or not, elitists like to come around and talk about how amazing it is because it's not about high schoolers, as if being about adults automatically makes something good.

It doesn't.

You're twisting the meaning of the thread, taking a comment made by another user in the second page of the thread as the premise of the whole discussion, while at the same time twisting its message in turn. The first post never talked about adults and highschool. Instead it focused on the perceived "realism" of the show due to the lack of typical escapism devices (as listed). This is taken as a starting point to state that the anime will not be well received among the community.
So, you're reinterpreting the stated
- lack of escapism -> not well received (first post)
- anime about adults -> not well received (post in the second page)
as stating
- lack of escapism -> must be good
and adding your own personal (elitistic) postulate
- ( lack of escapism -> must be good ) -> elitists
thus addressing everyone here an elitist and at the same time justifying your taste and lack of interest in the show. Because it's easier to bash other people opinions and randomly tag them with supposedly derogatory remarks (because that's how you were intending it, right?), than giving reasonable explanations.
temp_usernameOct 27, 2014 11:55 AM
Oct 27, 2014 11:53 AM

Jan 2013
type-beta said:
Redfoxoffire said:

Redfoxoffire said:

It doesn't.

You're twisting the meaning of the thread, taking a comment made by another user in the second page of the thread as the premise of the whole discussion, while at the same time twisting its message in turn. The first post never talked about adults and highschool. Instead it focused on the perceived "realism" of the show due to the lack of typical escapism devices (as listed). This is taken as a starting point to state that the anime will not be well received among the community.
So, you're reinterpreting
lack of escapism -> not well received (first post)
anime about adults -> not well received (post in the second page)
as
lack of escapism -> must be good
and adding your own personal (elitistic) postulate
( lack of escapism -> must be good ) -> elitists
thus addressing everyone here an elitist and at the same time justifying your taste and lack of interest in the show. Because it's easier to bash other people opinions and randomly tag them with supposedly derogatory remarks (because that's how you were intending it, right?), than give reasonable explanations.

holy fuck the logic is blinding me

also how in the fuck is space brothers realistic?

its about space bullshit, even if they are astronauts.

this show is too real because there isnt even any drama between the characters.

its just "go to work" "make anime" "go home"

i personally like it, but hey, you guys can rage all you want.
Oct 28, 2014 7:51 AM

Aug 2013
SolviteSekai said:

I've always ****ing hated this aspect of certain slice of life/romance anime that involve aspiring to goals (see: Sakurasou).

But OP, you are right about everything else. Especially since there is no ecchi/pantsu lol
Nov 1, 2014 10:23 PM

Dec 2012
SolvitePriest said:

It's real adult SOL, tailored towards people with real life experience. Of course forum dwellers will only see "omg lulz space is unreals."
Nov 2, 2014 3:14 AM

Jan 2013
Ratohnhaketon said:
SolvitePriest said:

It's real adult SOL, tailored towards people with real life experience. Of course forum dwellers will only see "omg lulz space is unreals."

lmfao

this right here is true elitism.

tell me bro, what real life experience do you have with being an astronaut?
Nov 2, 2014 5:20 AM
Jan 2012
People may dis/like whatever they dis/like.

And it's only anime. Any one of you ever bought DVD/Bluray for contribution and watch in properly quality? If so, and if you don't watch things pirated, you do have a genuine say on how Japanimation should be made.

But it's OK. You may enjoy things as long as you don't hurt anyone.

I'm not sure about the show being realistic with cute girls working in an anime production. But I particularly enjoy human dramas in a working environment a bit more than junior/high school kid creating a harem or a kid with almighty swordskill being trapped in a virtual world, so I really don't mind this. Business industry can be a lot more stressful and ugly than it's portrayed in Shirobako or Hanasaku Iroha, but I would prefer less of that sort of realism.
Nov 2, 2014 6:33 AM

Jan 2013
GohanwaOkazu said:
People may dis/like whatever they dis/like.

And it's only anime. Any one of you ever bought DVD/Bluray for contribution and watch in properly quality? If so, and if you don't watch things pirated, you do have a genuine say on how Japanimation should be made.

But it's OK. You may enjoy things as long as you don't hurt anyone.

I'm not sure about the show being realistic with cute girls working in an anime production. But I particularly enjoy human dramas in a working environment a bit more than junior/high school kid creating a harem or a kid with almighty swordskill being trapped in a virtual world, so I really don't mind this. Business industry can be a lot more stressful and ugly than it's portrayed in Shirobako or Hanasaku Iroha, but I would prefer less of that sort of realism.

Ah, the "i buy my anime from funimation" elitist appears.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Does Shirobako get any better?

terryacer - May 7, 2018

26 by oooo3333 »»
Mar 25, 1:49 PM

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2015

286 by oooo3333 »»
Mar 25, 1:36 PM

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 6, 2014

138 by MajedM1999 »»
Mar 12, 2:17 PM

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 30, 2014

115 by MajedM1999 »»
Mar 11, 3:47 AM

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 16, 2014

165 by MajedM1999 »»
Mar 6, 2:57 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.