Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) Episode 2 Discussion

Mar 12, 2015 12:59 AM

This is all a waste of time, really.

Singling out one case is redundant
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Mar 26, 2015 2:22 AM

BD Rewatch Episode 2

- The addition of The Window Fixing Scene helps to establish why Rin acts so superior around Shirou this episode, but does not alleviate other problems. Shirou's "It was one sided fight" comes of as completely true this time unlike in VN where we know that Shirou was insightful and calculating and managed to make use of Lancer underestimating him so he could survive. Alas that intention of his dialogue as humble is missing. Also this scene was perfect place to add hints that he knows two types of magic. Alas no luck. Let's have Rin mock the MC some more...
- In the talkdown afterward, Rin comes off as more understanding in VN while here, it is just Shirou making stupid assumptions and being bullied. Meh. Shirou also comes off way too hardheaded without the monologues explaining his emotional state and how he views the situation.
- At least they added the fucking explanation about spiritual forms that I don't think was in the tv airing. At least some exposition.
- The legend of unneeded buttwigling fanservice begins. Fuck you Miura. That otaku-bait moment feels so fucking artificial it is uncomfortable.
- Yay more added scenes!.....of.....pointless landscape showcases instead of actual important shit...YAY...
- Sure lets NOT add the part where Shirou shows a new part of the city for Rin that she never saw(via shortcut to the bridge) and she gets to enjoy herself and let's animate the part where the two berate Shirou for 3 minutes. Fuck You Miura. The fact that Rin did not have time to actually walk around the city and enjoy herself is important character moment.
- I swear to anime onlies, introduction of Kirei would look awkward as fuck as the explanation on what kind of Organisation The Holy Church is in nasuverse is cut, as well as what Church is capable of in terms of rivaling magic. Most of anime onlies would not even GET Kirei's role in the war or why he is a "fake priest". Yay Miura.
- The explanations given by Kirei are given in un-even tone with way too many repeating phrases. Explanations of Classes, etc are cut. Since exposition on Holy Church is cut, Kirei's rant about grail makes no sense. The Psychological implications of the shocking reveal of the nature of the Great Fire are cut and we do not see the reassuring effect Rin and her funny contradiction gives to Shirou here.
- Kirei's "Rejoice boy" line is not emphasized enough and the amount of conflict the whole "needing a villain to defeat" strikes into Shirou is not emphasized enough.
- "I Like People Like You" - the only "sort of" trolling scene left in. And even that one can come out as protagonist being oblivious. Fuck you Miura.

The Episode also showcases the lack of "atmosphere setting" - it all feels distant. You can't get a feel that you are experiencing the story through Shirou. It is as if someone is retelling you secondhand experience, which is I guess a flaw of Miura's directing style.

There are a lot of moments in this episode where implications of the tone and how it affects Shirou would have been very helpful. Instead Shirou listens to Tohsaka and Kirei's explanations with cinematography failing to showcase any real major reaction of him or imply the tone of the scene and then accepts his role because he does not want another great fire.

Old Score: 5/5
New Score: 4/5

Jul 23, 2015 2:33 AM

OG Berserker has arrived.

Aug 9, 2015 11:54 AM

wow,finally starting this now that it is on netflix, and i couldnt be more happy,
great ep.

Oct 5, 2015 2:32 AM

sullynathan said:
Akiyama said:

pikeman1 said:

Damn, shake that ass girl.

HAHA love the fan service but they need to keep it in perspective cause there is no way Rin's that thick O.O If she was, I might have to drop my girl SABER :O Although other anime's need to take note, Info dump episodes Need Fan service :D

A little disappoint the church was so dark......although Kotomine was amazing. That BESERKER at the end THOUGH!!!! and Saber's outfit <3 <3 <3 5/5 Great episode.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/QcK_Dagger_HeaT&sclick=1][IMG]

Oct 5, 2015 2:37 AM

Akiyama said:

pikeman1 said:

Damn, shake that ass girl.[/quote]

That's the reason why Rin is love, Rin is life.

Oct 5, 2015 2:50 AM

Illyricus said:
Akiyama said:

pikeman1 said:

Damn, shake that ass girl.

That's the reason why Rin is love, Rin is life.[/quote]

The struggle......I love Rin in the Visual Novel and Saber as well. It's like Saber 1A that girl you want to marry and always be with and Rin 1B that side piece you never want to let go of Sigh the Struggle is real. I guess it's a good thing usually there is an overwhelming fan favorite between heroines in an anime, but Type Moon did such a great job with the character's that the 3 main heroines all have solid balanced fan bases!

Oct 5, 2015 3:28 AM

UBW-Dagger said:
The struggle......I love Rin in the Visual Novel and Saber as well. It's like Saber 1A that girl you want to marry and always be with and Rin 1B that side piece you never want to let go of Sigh the Struggle is real. I guess it's a good thing usually there is an overwhelming fan favorite between heroines in an anime, but Type Moon did such a great job with the character's that the 3 main heroines all have solid balanced fan bases!

Yeah, I understand your point, but in my case, I like Rin much more than Sakura and Saber (and I like the three, mind you). That thing that you say it happens to me, but with Rin and Luvia. I can't choose any one of the two, they are perfect.

Off Topic: I don't call Typemoon's fanbase really "balanced":

That images are gold btw.

Oct 6, 2015 5:37 AM

Awesome Epic Awesome

Oct 6, 2015 11:12 AM

Illyricus said:
UBW-Dagger said:

Yeah, I understand your point, but in my case, I like Rin much more than Sakura and Saber (and I like the three, mind you). That thing that you say it happens to me, but with Rin and Luvia. I can't choose any one of the two, they are perfect.

Your chart is EPIC Btw!!!! When I meant balanced I meant that Rin and Saber usually have close to equal fan bases from the polls I have seen. Saber usually is the favorite girl but it is by a very small margin. Then Sakura hangs in there, then there is everybody else. When the HF movies come out I think Sakura's fan base will grow to the level of the other 2. Then there is Illya, then everyone else.

Power level wise

Oct 6, 2015 1:09 PM

UBW-Dagger said:
Illyricus said:

Your chart is EPIC Btw!!!! When I meant balanced I meant that Rin and Saber usually have close to equal fan bases from the polls I have seen. Saber usually is the favorite girl but it is by a very small margin. Then Sakura hangs in there, then there is everybody else. When the HF movies come out I think Sakura's fan base will grow to the level of the other 2. Then there is Illya, then everyone else.

Power level wise

If you referred to that, then I agree. In fact, in the Type-Moon's 10th Anniversary Character Poll, the three heroines were in the Top 10 of most liked characters (With Saber occupying the first rank, Rin the 4th and Sakura the 8th). When HF came out, both Sakura and Illya's fanbase will grow, mostly due the Zero fans who finally could watch her plots adapted in the "true sequel of Fate/Zero". And speaking of Illya, her fanbase is pretty big, it must be due to her participation in HF.

Dec 3, 2015 11:14 AM
SO MUCH KIREI

Dec 23, 2015 11:22 AM
Holy shit, Emiya is a loser of epic proportions. That confrontation was utterly pathetic, and he even started washing the archery club... What a worthless sack of shit. Hope someone slices of his head during the series so we get a protagonist change. These protagonists are the absolute worst.

Jan 23, 2016 12:27 AM

A very good episode ! Oh,I didn't know Rin had lost her father.
So next episode we will be seeing Berserker and the mysterious girl.

Apr 7, 2016 4:58 PM

Surprisingly I'm starting to like this UBW Shirou... well, I least I don't dislike him as much as -Fate- Shirou xD

Rin is so sassy jaja I didn't ever expect to like her character, but she's fun, a nice person to mess with and be messed from (Did I english that ok?)

[Softsubs > HardsubsFansubs > fast subsDarkmantis - @HumbertoZero]________________
How to read Fate/Strange Fake Light novel________________

May 19, 2016 10:34 PM

DAT ASS!

Can't have Saber going inside the church, huh?

KOTOMINE. KIREI.

An episode of feels if you get the references.

DA MYSTERIOUS GIRL RETURNS!
Modified by Rob, May 19, 2016 10:46 PM
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).

Aug 29, 2016 2:32 PM

Erm, I'm having one problem with continuity. In the prologue episode, Archer hands Rin her pendant in the penultimate scene, and she comments that it's completely empty and keeps it. In episode 1, Shirou finds it on the floor and keeps it - Archer doesn't find it. It's still with Shirou in this episode. How's the possible? Are there two pendants?

OR:

Also, I wonder how Lancer or his master knew that Shirou had been saved. Hadn't he run away?

Aug 29, 2016 5:47 PM

Arachnophobic said:
Erm, I'm having one problem with continuity. In the prologue episode, Archer hands Rin her pendant in the penultimate scene, and she comments that it's completely empty and keeps it. In episode 1, Shirou finds it on the floor and keeps it - Archer doesn't find it. It's still with Shirou in this episode. How's the possible? Are there two pendants?

OR:

Also, I wonder how Lancer or his master knew that Shirou had been saved. Hadn't he run away?
the pendant is a plot point. pay attention to rin as the series goes.

eh, o forget how but in the VN shirou was able to deduce that lancer would come back for him..i just dont remember what was the line of thought

Aug 29, 2016 10:02 PM

Maloghurst said:

eh, o forget how but in the VN shirou was able to deduce that lancer would come back for him..i just dont remember what was the line of thought

Aye aye. Will do, thanks.

I've forgotten too.. maybe Lancer's master told him to dispose of the body, which led him to see that he's still alive.

Aug 30, 2016 8:13 PM

Arachnophobic said:
Maloghurst said:

I've forgotten too.. maybe Lancer's master told him to dispose of the body, which led him to see that he's still alive.
he doesnt really need to dispose of the body. there had already been cases of a random serial killer running around town (even shown in the anime) nobody is going to be able to deduce something supernatural is at hand

Aug 31, 2016 8:42 AM

Maloghurst said:
Arachnophobic said:

he doesnt really need to dispose of the body. there had already been cases of a random serial killer running around town (even shown in the anime) nobody is going to be able to deduce something supernatural is at hand

I just checked the relevant VN chapter, and there's no explanation for why Lancer comes after him again. He was supposed to be returning to his master with Archer on his tail. Why would he double back?

Also, finished with UBW:

Modified by Arachnophobic, Aug 31, 2016 10:48 PM

Sep 1, 2016 12:33 AM

Arachnophobic said:
Maloghurst said:

I just checked the relevant VN chapter, and there's no explanation for why Lancer comes after him again. He was supposed to be returning to his master with Archer on his tail. Why would he double back?

Also, finished with UBW:

that's really more of the issue with going from written to visual medium. the way they handled it in the anime got pretty cringe worthy at times imo

Sep 1, 2016 1:18 PM

Maloghurst said:
that's really more of the issue with going from written to visual medium. the way they handled it in the anime got pretty cringe worthy at times imo

Yeah, the lack of inner monologues spelling everything out. I think they did a decent job, though. On reading the UBW VN, I realised that:

Sep 1, 2016 2:22 PM

Arachnophobic said:
Maloghurst said:

Yeah, the lack of inner monologues spelling everything out. I think they did a decent job, though. On reading the UBW VN, I realised that:

more of a hindsight thing, or insight you gain from a second runthrough. the author
the lack of monologues really took away credibility from the characters

Oct 7, 2016 10:12 AM

all happies, when appear Berseker and... next episode guys!!! xD

Hello, my litte boy!

Oct 29, 2016 1:35 PM

devil child appeared good way to keep me in suspense, IDK why rin doesn't ally with shiro. Seems like he can be manipulated.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.

Mar 11, 2017 9:44 AM

Oh god Kirei...

Apr 6, 2017 7:59 PM

Great episode! Can definitely see why Saber didn't want to see Kirei after what he did in the last season. I'm guessing Kirei also knows Emiya's connection to Kiritsugu.

I actually didn't know this was the 5th war??? I don't think they mentioned the number of wars they've done? I expect some of the old faces back like Gailgamesh, Kiritsugu etc.

Can't wait for the next episode :)

Apr 13, 2017 2:41 AM

SomaHeir said:
BlondieName

Spoilers.

Kiritsugu

He is already dead. It was already shown.

I actually didn't know this was the 5th war??? I don't think they mentioned the number of wars they've done?

They literally mentioned this episode? This is the fifth war and none of the previous wars were completed due to various reasons and failures. When else would they tell that considering this is the first time even explaining the wars or what the grail war is.

Apr 29, 2017 2:53 PM

I don't think Rin owes him anything because she saved his life. They're even =____=

If anything, he still owes her one more favor to make it truly even because his life is worth a lot.

Jun 18, 2017 3:15 PM

Emiya is fu*king annoying, especially with his Sasuke voice.

Oct 2, 2017 8:05 AM

Shirou: see i really like ppl like u

strike one bulls-eye to Rin's heart XD

Shirou ur subconsciously seducing her XD

Rin's reaction just cracked me up XD

Kokoro_Inuzuka said:
I don't think Rin owes him anything because she saved his life. They're even =____=

If anything, he still owes her one more favor to make it truly even because his life is worth a lot.

well she lied cause she likes him secretly XD

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
Modified by Nexu, Nov 2, 2017 2:59 PM

Jan 10, 2018 2:59 AM

Thought for sure that Shirou would realise that Rin was the one who saved him when she mentioned that he was almost killed twice.

Sep 14, 2018 4:23 AM

A history about the Holy Grail War and some tidbits of the past

Emiya man-ing up! And already the start of a battle? Sweet ~

Jan 9, 1:35 AM

lmao Rin is hilarious.
Life has no meaning.

Mar 22, 3:52 PM
Servants are too hard to beat, so they rather go for the masters. This is a rather dirty war.
And why do they involve civilians? Why are mages obligated to kill people that know about their identities?
If it's so secret, why do they hold that in a populated city? (Although we barely ever see anyone in the city, guess they didn't want to bother with animating background characters, huh?)

And for the grail to do anything, 6 masters have to die. In other words, either Emiya Shirou or Toosaka Rin will be dead by the end of this. So will be all the other masters.

And the church even oversees and supports this slaughterfest?

Can someone explain this passage? It didn't make any sense to me at all.

"A master without servant has no value.
No, as long as their command spells exist, so do their rights as master.
If a servant had lost its master, it could still rejoin the battle. (for whom?)
For that reason, masters kill other masters."

So, does that imply that if the servant dies, but the master is still alive, it could simply resummon the servant or what?

Modified by tr25a3, Mar 22, 4:17 PM

Mar 23, 2:28 AM
tr25a3 said:
And why do they involve civilians? Why are mages obligated to kill people that know about their identities?
If it's so secret, why do they hold that in a populated city?

i already answered these two questions for you in ep 1 discussion, so i won't do it again
tr25a3 said:
(Although we barely ever see anyone in the city, guess they didn't want to bother with animating background characters, huh?)

most people don't walk about during the night because of dangerous rumors/news like gas leaks and murders
tr25a3 said:
Can someone explain this passage? It didn't make any sense to me at all.

"A master without servant has no value.
No, as long as their command spells exist, so do their rights as master.
If a servant had lost its master, it could still rejoin the battle. (for whom?)
For that reason, masters kill other masters."

So, does that imply that if the servant dies, but the master is still alive, it could simply resummon the servant or what?

let's say there's a servant who had his master killed, depending on what Class he is, he has a certain amount of time before he completely disappears.

let's also say that there's a master who had his servant killed, but he still has command spells. the servant i mentioned earlier could meet and forge a new contract with this master, and officially become their servant, and the pair can rejoin the fight.

that's why masters kill other masters, because if they don't, they could become an obstacle for them again in the future.

Mar 23, 5:50 AM
Population wise that sound a little too convenient. I'd guess that's easily a 50k+ city, I wouldn't expect everyone to obey a curfew or a helpless police that doesn't try anything to give the citizens some sense of security by increasing its presence. But well, I'll let it be that way.
Shayon said:

let's say there's a servant who had his master killed, depending on what Class he is, he has a certain amount of time before he completely disappears.

let's also say that there's a master who had his servant killed, but he still has command spells. the servant i mentioned earlier could meet and forge a new contract with this master, and officially become their servant, and the pair can rejoin the fight.

that's why masters kill other masters, because if they don't, they could become an obstacle for them again in the future.

Okay, that could make sense. I didn't expect that this would be possible.
They also said that the servant is set free / doesn't obey the master anymore after the command spells are expleted.

Does the servant disappear or does he stay somehow? Like, could he stay with his former master on his own decision? Or does depleting the command spells equal disqualification for the master? If not, could the servant form a new contract with it's old master?

I can't remember if it they said what happens after the servant doesn't obey the master anymore.

Anyways, thank you for the answers.

Mar 23, 7:08 AM
tr25a3 said:
Okay, that could make sense. I didn't expect that this would be possible.
They also said that the servant is set free / doesn't obey the master anymore after the command spells are expleted.

Does the servant disappear or does he stay somehow? Like, could he stay with his former master on his own decision? Or does depleting the command spells equal disqualification for the master? If not, could the servant form a new contract with it's old master?

I can't remember if it they said what happens after the servant doesn't obey the master anymore.

Anyways, thank you for the answers.

you're welcome.

other than qualification, command spells can be a form of protection for the masters in case their servant doesn't like or obey them, if your servant disobeys your order, you can force them to carry it out with a command spell, and if they try to harm you, you can stop them or order them to kill themselves with a command spell.

having no command spells but still having a contract with your servant doesn't disqualify you, and your servant won't disappear either. but now it comes down to trust, since you don't have any command spells left, your servant can do whatever they want, they could kill you at any moment if they wanted to.

ofc if a master and servant trust each other then that's not a problem. although not having command spells on their side can be a disadvantage because they allow you to use magic that isn't normally possible on your servant.

the "contract" is a separate thing from the command spells, it's a typical master and familiar contract and it creates an invisible connection between the master and servant. the master says an incantation along the lines of "if you obey this mind and will, etc. etc." and the servant can say something like "yes, I accept [master's name] as my master." and the contract is forged. if you remember, Rin actually said something like that in the prologue when she was trying to summon saber, which was the incantation for summoning a servant.

Jun 15, 7:19 AM

Lol, just by the name of Emiya, Kirei assume that his servant was Saber.
If 1 = 2, then everything is good.

Sep 4, 12:11 PM

Y O R O K O B E . S H O U N E N

Sep 22, 2:33 AM

well I get the concept... but for now let's see how it goes

Oct 31, 12:34 AM

Rin feeling flustered is so cute. And damn that servant is huge

Pages (17) « First ... « 15 16 [17]