Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 18, 2014 2:26 AM

Jan 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I watched this today in the cinema as well.
The movie was way too short :( It was less than 30 minutes and costs 1200 yen...
But it was still nice to see Erica, Ursula (Erica's younger sis), Trude and Minna in action against Neuroi.
The combination attack of Erica and Ursula was pretty nice to see ^^
Trude's red shirt fitted her well :) So cute.

Can't wait to see the next movie.
Next episode will be about Shirley and Lucchini ^-^

Oct 20, 2014 11:06 PM

Aug 2013
And this isn't a movie anyway..
Oct 31, 2014 6:19 AM

Apr 2011
30 mins is not a movie Daipyon...
"I left everything I own in One Piece" ~ Gol D. Roger
Nov 22, 2014 9:48 PM

Jan 2011
Meruru_Arls said:

But it was treated as a movie ^^ It was aired in the cinema though.

Dec 11, 2014 2:10 AM

Mar 2013
Daipyon said:
Meruru_Arls said:

But it was treated as a movie ^^ It was aired in the cinema though.

I guess you can call them short stories/movies then.
Dec 12, 2014 6:29 AM

Jun 2010
I really hope this gets subbed soon, already had to wait months for the home release. Now the wait continues for a fansub.... : (
Dec 12, 2014 8:21 AM

Feb 2013
I can't beleive people actully show anime episodes at the cinema xD
Dec 17, 2014 7:57 AM

Mar 2012
At thirty minutes long, I wonder what the merits of showing it in the theatre was. With that said, this OVA was quite the enjoyable watch, and brought back all of the elements that made the TV series and movie fun.

BOOM HEADSHOT
Dec 18, 2014 1:48 PM

Jan 2013
If this was released as a OVA like it should had been we would have some nude scenes.
Dec 18, 2014 3:48 PM

Nov 2011
Not going to lie, that OP song is catchy imo.

Besides some of the info dumping, the action was pretty fast and good. And fighting in the air with those red clothes? I approve. But now after I listened to the ED song, I think that might even more catchy.
Dec 19, 2014 1:14 AM

Aug 2013
Stark700 said:
But now after I listened to the ED song, I think that might even more catchy.

Now I'm looking forward for Eilanya version..(although they won't be featured in the OVA)
Dec 22, 2014 7:34 AM

Apr 2011
It was okay. Felt like an OVA instead of a movie.

Erica is annoying, but Trude is adorable in that dress.
MagitoDec 22, 2014 6:09 PM
Dec 22, 2014 7:40 AM

Apr 2010
Took a while for this to get out and it was nice watching it.
Also loved all the prototypes they even used the HE-162 which was an aircraft rushed into production as a desperate attempt to stop the Allied forces.
But like other technological advancements it arrived to late to make any difference and because it was rushed it had it's flaws.

I also have to say that it's nice to see this again and i can't wait for the following 2 episodes.
Dec 22, 2014 9:34 AM

Jul 2010
That was quite enjoyable to see the usual Erica and Barkhorn's relationship!

The action sequences were pretty nice with Ursula playing the support role for Erica.
Dec 22, 2014 12:11 PM

Nov 2009
I can sum it up in one word for myself at least...

"meh".

I'm not a big fan of a lot of the characters as I still find it creepy that they invented strikers to fly with but they can't invent clothing for girls besides pantsu from the waist down.

Erica pissed me off alot in this as well, just being stuck up for the sake of being stuck up.

Only saving grace besides it being only 30 minutes was Trude who is still awesome.
Dec 22, 2014 12:40 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
This really is the kind of show you should watch with you pants unbuttoned... or so I'd like to say but I feel like they held back a bit on the up-close midair panty shots compared to what I remembered.

Ah well, #firstworldproblems

Still nice to see the show again after all this time
Dec 22, 2014 3:00 PM

Feb 2014
I know this anime is tagged as Ecchi, but when I watch it I seem to enjoy it more when it has less fanservice. I really liked this.
Dec 22, 2014 6:53 PM

Oct 2012
Ursula kind of fun
Dec 22, 2014 8:29 PM

Jul 2014
That was a wonderful O.V.A. episode/movie. (Still can't believe it took me so long to see the acronym). Great to see this series back. The flying/action scenes looked really good. The ecchiness seemed toned down, but that was never a reason to or not to watch this series for me, if you can believe that.
Can't wait for Ep. 2 to see the rest of the cast. I wonder if the other episodes will happen later and later closer to the time of the movie?
Dec 23, 2014 2:08 AM

Jul 2013
Fun OVA episode, great action, and the new Striker Gears were pretty amusing to see. Nice to see Minna, Erica, Ursula, and Trude in this episode, but I wished more of the main characters could join in.

Erica was kind of annoying and selfish in here, but she wasn't that bad. Well, can't wait for the next episode.

Dec 23, 2014 6:20 PM

Mar 2013
Considering I watched this on the web, as opposed to paying cinema rates, it was decent. Just a filler episode for all intent & purposes.

Plus it being the last two weeks of the year there won't be any good shows to see. Darn Japanese work calendar.
Dec 24, 2014 7:22 AM

Aug 2013
omega_d94 said:

Erica was kind of annoying and selfish here.

Luckily, she's Erica, not Bubi..
Dat Volksstriker..
Dec 26, 2014 11:46 AM

Feb 2013
A bit too short IMO. Especially the SoL part of this episode was unfortunally cut rather short. But I enjoyed it quite much, the opening and ending song were really great, I loved the weapon references and Trudes Dirndl was absolutely adorable xD
I'm pretty excited for the next movie.
-Bakemono-Mar 20, 2015 10:04 AM

Dec 28, 2014 6:27 PM

Mar 2012
If I masturbate watching an ecchi series, it's almost always because everything else about the show bores me to tears and I just want to pass the time waiting for the ED to play. So I couldn't care less about the reduced ecchi content. That's not why I like Strike Witches in the place.

What I do like it for is the character interactions, the world building, the neat little references to real life people who fought in wars, the soundtrack and the aerial action scenes which were all back in full force even though there were a few minor hiccups.

Can't wait for more Shirley and Lucchini. Although unfortunately, I will have to wait. And then another wait after that before Eila and Santa get some time in the spotlight.
Dec 28, 2014 8:52 PM

Dec 2010
Erica's quite a bitch in this episode.
Dec 31, 2014 1:16 AM
Dec 2014
erika being annoying is the writer's commentary on apprehension towards new technology.
and among the three, erika is the proper mouthpiece to do that...

it's a very japanese commentary. a country where technology advances are among the forefront yet people in general still sticks with the old ways and have apprehension with all things new.

added to that japan's population where there are more older people than kids...
Jan 1, 2015 4:21 AM

Aug 2013
Rosteo said:
erika being annoying is the writer's commentary on apprehension towards new technology.
and among the three, erika is the proper mouthpiece to do that...

it's a very japanese commentary. a country where technology advances are among the forefront yet people in general still sticks with the old ways and have apprehension with all things new.

added to that japan's population where there are more older people than kids...

Well said..
Jan 12, 2015 3:58 PM

Apr 2012
Well, that was very enjoyable. I loved the battle this episode.
"Fortress Maximus has come himself. Okay! Then I shall get Fortress Maximus to fight me, huh huh huh!"

Jan 24, 2015 9:33 AM
Sep 2009
No subs ?
Feb 14, 2015 1:05 PM
Aug 2009
Fun fact, Erica's archetype pilot was wholly opposed to using jets. :D
I love the historical nods this anime gives out every now and then.

Also, the implied need for the jet striker using two pilots, modern jets anyone?

Fan service is a major part of the show sure, but the subtle touches on history and war is, imo, its understated gem.
Mar 9, 2015 10:46 PM

May 2014
That was great, Although I was surprised they had a theatrical viewing though, hope people knew what they were paying for.

50mm Cannon o.0

Love Erica and Barkhorn, can't wait till we get the next one. Lucchini is love/life.

clannadlover said:

Also, the implied need for the jet striker using two pilots, modern jets anyone?

Mmmhmm yeah I noticed that lol, also the second I saw it I knew it was based on the ME262.

Also I noticed in the first training scene they had meshed the CG with traditional animation rather well, but it fell off a bit later.
WrongPriestMar 9, 2015 10:50 PM
Mar 20, 2015 3:38 AM

Aug 2013
clannadlover said:

Not really, Bubi loves Canadair Sabre when he's in JG71, and he's hates the F-104 Starfighter for obvious reasons.
Apr 20, 2015 10:59 AM

Jul 2009
Minna still a good fighter, I was hoping Mio could appear and save her, but the sisters did a good job.
Jun 24, 2015 12:01 PM

Sep 2014
Cute episode. I liked the Hartmann sisters.

Trude wearing that red dirndl was lovely!
Jul 9, 2015 5:41 PM

Jun 2014
I love Strike Witches.
And this episode was cute, Erica was made about the tech being used because of how it almost killed her friend in testing.
Fanservice shots and outfits galore. But thats what you come to expect from this series.

On to the next one!
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Nov 8, 2015 3:25 PM
Dec 2010
I see lots of people mentioning Erica and Gertrud. Even Ursula gets a little recognition. Why doesn't Minna get any love from anyone? She's awesome and she seems so often overlooked.
Feb 14, 2016 10:35 AM

May 2012
Average first episode, I do wonder what the two other episodes will offer!
Nov 30, 2016 6:01 AM

Nov 2011
As a first OVA, fully satisfies the expectations, the technical and graphical quality is high. The story is compelling both in action profile, including the choreography of the fighting and in the part concerning the daily activities, which has a dowry, the fact of bringing forward the main story. Even the sound department, with regard to noise and more, it's great. soundtrack, beautiful and catchy. The characters, not deny, they are nice and make us know a little more of their characters.
Jan 11, 2020 12:11 PM

Sep 2018
Years after my first vision, I admit that by reviewing it, I appreciated it even more, who knows why. As the first OVA, he does not regret the end of the anime series, above all because there is everything you need: cheerfulness, comedy and lots of action, condiment with beautiful aerial sequences. In addition to this we also add new peronaggi and old characters very welcome, such as the character of Ursula, but Erica alone is synonymous with 100% entertainment. More than good the quality of the designs, animations and backdrops. The CG is sufficient, but not excellent.
Mar 7, 2020 5:16 AM

Apr 2013
Actually quite accurate to the real thing, Germans using not completely tested technology in actual combat.
Nov 4, 2020 7:04 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Hartman duo in an aerial combat action against a shy but aggresive Neuroi. Tsundere Erica was the best Erica xD. Ursula seemed pretty patience against her older sister. But its worth a shot as the completely synchronized each other very well at the end. Yeah, the power of siblings for the win! The power of the sisterhood for the glory! I am really intriguing to see their next action to freed Karlsland at the third season. Because so far its looks so cool with all of those new environments and equipments they had, thanks to Ursula inventions and experiments toward that technological items. As expected from the german engineer's at their golden era. Ursula simply became one of them! I mean, look at those Jet machine that could control, and holding 50 mm cannon pretty tightly like that. Its looks so good! Well, not to mentioned how adorable Trude at that maid outfit. She was really enjoyable to be watch!

Okay, the next part i got some Shirley and Lucchini action at the Africa continent. I wonder what kind of environment they had there? Lets see the next!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
May 31, 2021 2:25 PM

Nov 2013
The little sister appears and brings a bunch of presents. While Erika was a bit too hard on Ursula, it was understandable, since it are the pilots who have to rely on the tech in the end.

Nice duo flying action. It reminded me of how Yoshika and Lynette were flying together in the first season.

I noticed that their hair was looking different several times.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Jun 21, 2021 12:18 PM

Feb 2020
Good episode. Erica and Ursula are a cute duo, even when they argue, hehe. It's nice that Ursula got more screen time.

Gertrud looked so cute in that dress. <3

SerafosNov 29, 2023 10:29 PM
Jul 26, 2021 4:24 AM

Aug 2018
Well, testing equipment is a good thing, really.. Though, I maybe understand you, Hartmann, that you worry about Gertrud.. Do you like Gertrud, by the way, or not too much?..
Erica, you really don't like these experiments, for some reason..
Overall nice that Erica, Gertrud and Minna got more screen time.. It feels to me personally that they got less in season 1 and 2, comparing to other girls..
lol.. It seems that Gertrud actually liked that dress.. ;P Well, interesting to know that Gertrud can like cute outfits.. ;P
Aug 3, 2021 9:12 AM

Jul 2021
Gendolfas said:
Well, testing equipment is a good thing, really..
Overall nice that Erica, Gertrud and Minna got more screen time.. It feels to me personally that they got less in season 1 and 2, comparing to other girls..

Yes, I agree the Karlsland girls did not get much screen time in s1 and s2, so it was nice that they got a lot of screen time in this ova episode.

Minna does not get much love from the fans, but she is always doing her best for the girls, sad to see that she is mainly behind a desk now doing paperwork, but that's how things go as you get promoted.

I did not expect that dress to be for Gertrud, I thought that Ursula got it for her younger sister lol. It seems that Gertrud wants to dress up and be cute for Hartmann (>//w//<) very cute.

As expected for Hartmann to be complaining about the new research being done. It made me a little sad that she hurt her sister's feelings since Ursula is trying her best to help in her own way.

Aug 3, 2021 9:18 AM

Aug 2018
ColdBisquiT said:

Yes, I agree the Karlsland girls did not get much screen time in s1 and s2, so it was nice that they got a lot of screen time in this ova episode.

Minna does not get much love from the fans, but she is always doing her best for the girls, sad to see that she is mainly behind a desk now doing paperwork, but that's how things go as you get promoted.

I did not expect that dress to be for Gertrud, I thought that Ursula got it for her younger sister lol. It seems that Gertrud wants to dress up and be cute for Hartmann (>//w//<) very cute.

As expected for Hartmann to be complaining about the new research being done. It made me a little sad that she hurt her sister's feelings since Ursula is trying her best to help in her own way.

Now that you mention sister.. I think it's even more often to say bluntly critique to your sibling..

You think Gertrud did it for Erica?.. Well, who knows.. ;P

Yeah, Karsland got more time, and I expect that maybe they'll get more in Road to Berlin as well.. Well, as Berlin is in Karsland.. And also Minna is yeah, staying at the base a lot.. But lately she got more screen time too, which is nice.. ;P
Aug 3, 2021 9:41 AM

Jul 2021
Gendolfas said:

Now that you mention sister.. I think it's even more often to say bluntly critique to your sibling..

You think Gertrud did it for Erica?.. Well, who knows.. ;P

Yeah, I guess it's common to critique your siblings and give them a hard time.

Well, Gertrud looked at Erica when she put it on to get her opinion, but Erica just kind of blew her off lol. But, what can you expect from Erica lol.
Aug 3, 2021 10:03 AM

Aug 2018
ColdBisquiT said:

Well, Gertrud looked at Erica when she put it on to get her opinion, but Erica just kind of blew her off lol. But, what can you expect from Erica lol.

Ah, yeah, good point.. ;P It's strange to see Gertrud waiting for something like this from Erica.. Well, maybe their relationship will develop.. Or maybe not.. Will see.. ;P
Aug 3, 2021 11:45 AM

Jul 2021
Gendolfas said:

Ah, yeah, good point.. ;P It's strange to see Gertrud waiting for something like this from Erica.. Well, maybe their relationship will develop.. Or maybe not.. Will see.. ;P

We do see that Erica cares for Gertrud in s2 ep 10 when Marseille shows up. Erica tries really hard to beat Marseille, so she can get her autograph for Gertrud's sister since Gertrud asked her for it. But will we see their relationship develop more in road to berlin?
Aug 3, 2021 12:22 PM

Aug 2018
ColdBisquiT said:

We do see that Erica cares for Gertrud in s2 ep 10 when Marseille shows up. Erica tries really hard to beat Marseille, so she can get her autograph for Gertrud's sister since Gertrud asked her for it. But will we see their relationship develop more in road to berlin?

Also I don't know.. It might be speaking dense protagonist in me or something, lol.. Not like I am protag, just that it's typical to dense protags.. But I'm not sure, how close Erica and Gertrud are.. Like I certainly see that Charlie and Lucchini are close.. Or Lynne and Yoshika.. Or Eila and Sanya.. But other pairings are a question for me.. Like I wouldn't be too surprised, if there would arise any other combination.. Like Minna and Gertrud.. Or Erica and Minna.. Or someone.. I still like many of these characters which I don't feel are in clear pair.. Just I'm not sure, how they really are into each other, how other couples I mentioned are.. Like wanting to show a dress - can be just a wish to hear other person's opinion, if such cute unusual dress suits you or not.. As well as wish to see, if you're accepted like that or not.. As well as Erica getting in fight with Marseille might have been Erica's wish to give something to Gertud's little sister.. In a way - Erica's care for a child.. So maybe it's just extremely dense from my side.. But I personally hold this question open.. About Gertrud and Erica.. As, well, some other couples really get along better and spend time more together.. While both Gertrud and Erica spend time all over the place more.. But I'm not negating or anything, really.. Just that it remains a question for me..
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» "Operation Victory Arrow"

JokoSukino - Jun 12, 2022

1 by Joshua123_4 »»
Jun 13, 2022 3:32 AM

Poll: » Strike Witches: Operation Victory Arrow Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 1, 2015

44 by bushman66 »»
Mar 18, 2022 10:32 PM

Poll: » Strike Witches: Operation Victory Arrow Episode 2 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 16, 2015

33 by ColdBisquiT »»
Aug 3, 2021 8:39 PM

» Anyone heard anything about a possible Dub for this?

KendraD - Sep 5, 2017

0 by KendraD »»
Sep 5, 2017 9:17 AM

» Episode 3?

5hreddy - May 10, 2015

6 by Narco »»
Jun 25, 2015 6:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.