3It was OK
18.7%
2Disliked it
1.1%
1Hated it
8.8%
Average 4.1
91 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 5, 2009 1:49 AM

Mar 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Gods, this is so stupid, what does the right eye have to do with anything. And Oscar suddenly becoming all helpless once her arms were grabbed was even more stupid.
Dec 20, 2010 9:19 AM

Apr 2010
There are some parts that could be called "stupid", but in reality this a great anime, really, I enjoyed and loved all the episodes so far.

Mar 1, 2011 4:52 PM

Sep 2009
RAGE.
stfu Fersen. Oscar's best friend is Andre!

oh Andre, the painful silent love while going blind ahhh

and Oscar suddenly became helpless because he was showing her the difference between a man and a woman.
he didn't just grab her hands. she was trying to escape! and realized she couldn't break free
his overpowering her is what brought it home that "a rose can only be a rose"
pity her clothes ripped (he rly did look shocked at that)
OH ANDRE. I feel your pain.
keep wishing Oscar will notice him but now she wont look at him.
Mar 8, 2011 4:34 AM

Apr 2009
I didn't like how Andre's other eye started going blind either... but all in all this was a pretty powerful episode... maybe finally Oscar will realize some things...
Apr 11, 2011 6:21 PM
Jul 2018
Not too smooth there, Andre, even if Oscar was being an idiot (and a bit of a coward too).

And man, things really aren't going too well for him, are they? First his left eye, then the other one going too, and now Oscar's furious at him. And just think, if all that er... subtle foreshadowing from episode 9 or so means anything, Andre's not exactly going to get a happy ending after all this. I feel like he's meant to be the next source of melodrama now that Marie Antoinette's being phased out...

It was a powerful episode, though, and I hope the rest will stay like that, especially once the revolution really gets going.
Jul 28, 2011 2:30 PM

Dec 2007
I can't exactly pity you at this point, Andre. The second you go into forcing yourself on a woman territory, your "love" is bullshit.
Ich verstehe nicht
Sep 12, 2011 12:26 PM

Feb 2010
Lol at the beginning, Andre staring directly towards the sun and then wondering why his eye is blurry.

But this episode is probably my new favorite so far. Very dramatic and tragic, with Oscar facing Fersen, Andre facing Oscar and losing his second eye too. The scene at the end was very strong, especially the epic slap. I guess Andre wanted to see her tits even once before he went blind, lol.

Andre is such a pitiful character :( I feel his pain.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 19, 2013 8:32 AM

Sep 2010
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Lol at the beginning, Andre staring directly towards the sun and then wondering why his eye is blurry.

I was like wtf why is he looking directly into the sun? You're damaging whats left of your eyes son.

Seriously poor guy this was foreshadowed in the ending from the very start "Soon I will never be able to gaze upon you...Oh Oscar, OSCAR!" I thought that meant he was going to die, but I guess that meant he would go blind and that he would never be able to gaze at her beauty again.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Jun 4, 2013 2:48 PM

May 2009
I agree what the hell was andre staring at the sun for? lmao

I feel really bad for Fersen too "the only love is agony" part :(
Jul 23, 2013 4:05 PM

Jan 2013
To bring up two points that need to be adressed:

1) People who are blind in one eye have a higher chance of going blind altogether due to the strain it has performing both eyes duties essentially.

2) Andre was showing Oscar the truth by restraining her, she is not a man and doesn't have the physical strength to break free.

I felt Oscar took Andre's saying wrong though. I thought of it more: "Either Man or Woman you are the same person on the inside, you cannot change that". Oscar took it as "You are a woman, deal with it". Hopefully this will be addressed in the next episode.
Jul 23, 2013 8:39 PM

Jan 2013
"Oscar: I've found out there are two kinds of love in this world... The love joy... and the love of agony...
Fersen: You're wrong Oscar, there's only one kind of love.
The love of agony."

That was so powerful to me, and it really rang true to the production (and in life as well).
He was in the room when Antoinette exclaimed "I will never see Fersen again", it's his love of agony.

What a great episode, and after watching a series (the Munto Series) that wasn't very good, it helps you in knowing what true great productions are.

---

Do people not realize that Andre has been sparring with Oscar since she was young? He's not a weak man. Just because the main character of this series is a strong women doesn't mean she's ridiculously powerful like how most productions tend to make their main characters.
Also, if you're best friend did what Andre did to Oscar at the end, you wouldn't immediately get away at first like if a stranger did the same thing. First, you wonder what's happening.

Keep pursuing your dreams! ~ Wynn
My brother and I compose classical and modern music, please click the link below if you're interested.
http://thesearethetwins.wordpress.com/

Please check out my profile to see what anime I recommend.

Keep pursuing your dreams! ~ Wynn
Aug 6, 2013 7:31 PM

Jul 2013
That was an intense episode, especially those last few minutes. Hopefully this pace and tone does not relent, because things are getting real interesting.
Sep 26, 2013 4:32 PM
Aug 2011
Andre...the fuck are you doing to Oscar?!

Roloko said:
I was like wtf why is he looking directly into the sun? You're damaging whats left of your eyes son.

I lol'd for real.
Oct 20, 2013 12:25 PM

Apr 2009
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

But this episode is probably my new favorite so far. Very dramatic and tragic, with Oscar facing Fersen, Andre facing Oscar and losing his second eye too. The scene at the end was very strong, especially the epic slap. I guess Andre wanted to see her tits even once before he went blind, lol.

Seconding this, an amazing episode full of emotions.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Oct 23, 2013 11:06 PM

Jul 2008
Well Andre finally told Oscar, but in the worst way possible. Oscar needed a wake up call but that was too much.
Nov 3, 2013 9:39 PM

Apr 2012
Worst confession ever.
Jan 2, 2014 6:49 PM

Feb 2012
That was a painfull episode to watch.
Apr 2, 2014 3:01 PM

Dec 2011
Holy crap can't believe Andre ripped her clothes off. I was glad he confessed to her but he went about it the wrong way. Such a sad episode

Jul 20, 2014 7:01 PM

Oct 2007
I cringed when Andre ripped off Oscar's clothes like that. That honestly pissed me off.

Love is no excuse for using force like that. Ugh.
Oct 6, 2014 5:01 PM

Mar 2012
Screw you Fersen, now that you can't have Marie you go and make some moves on Oscar? GTFO permanently please.

All the feels for André. Poor fella is going blind, the chick he loves is into another guy, and now she's planning on moving out.

xplosive59 said:

2) Andre was showing Oscar the truth by restraining her, she is not a man and doesn't have the physical strength to break free.

People were too busy raging to see that lol. He was proving a point the hard way which is the only way Oscar would've gotten across that recently thick skull of hers. He wasn't doing it because he was driving by his love for her, it wasn't an attempt to do what some of you thought it was >_>

Now about the confession, I'm guessing he's not planning on coming back after what happened in the end which is why he confessed to her before leaving.
Oct 15, 2014 11:40 PM

Jul 2011
That was a really good episode. Though still dramatic (that slap... open palm slap, lololol).

I was surprised her clothing ripped, but yes, Andre was trying to prove a point that she is still a woman, and that he (being a man) is stronger. He's a little desperate at the moment, so I'll give him some slack. His eye's really causing him problems. I feel sad when he calls out to Oscar when he's in pain. >__<
Nov 16, 2014 4:46 PM

Oct 2012
Powerful.
Feb 28, 2015 4:23 PM

Feb 2014
That was one of the most powerful and emotionally complex scenes I have ever seen in an anime. Holy crap.

So, people who are attacking Andre need to understand something - the last scene is not meant to make you empathize with him. Much like Shinji refusing to get in the robot, the scene uses Andre's unsolvable conundrum to give a new dimension to, while forcing the viewer to re-assess, his character. Here is a woman who he has loved for twenty years, who now claims to reject her womanhood and by extension, his love (all in a heteronormative context, sure, but still). On top of that, he's about to lose his eyesight, and knows that in a short time he won't even be able to physically see her. His desperate "solution" is terrible and ridiculously misguided, but this is why he's a good character. Particularly since he's been portrayed as sort of a "white knight" for most of the show - always being there for Oscar while never burdening her with his feelings, and generally never getting into a situation that challenges the viewer to make an alternate assessment on his character - this scene is amazing because he is made fully, completely human by it.

And that's speaking only of Andre's viewpoint. Oscar, for the first time in the show, is forced to come to terms with the physical limitations imposed on her gender identity. Actually, this is the first time in the show where she's had to confront her gender identity in any significant manner; usually her gender ambiguity was played for laughs (with the noblewomen who fawned after her), or as semi-serious but still pretty light exploration of her relationships with people around her (her father, Fersen, etc.).

So yea, great episode. Really, really great last scene.
Mar 10, 2015 3:26 PM

Apr 2014
hmmmmm....there goes the tiny chance of Oscar ending up with Andre. in fact, I'm glad there's no chance anymore

I think Andre might become one of those pitiful angsty characters. good at first but later on becomes corrupt. I'm not saying Andre is a terrible character, I actually think he became more interesting rather than two dimensional
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 27, 2015 11:41 PM

Jan 2010

This is Rose of Versailles in a nutshell.

Reaching out towards a light that's just in front of you, yet you're surrounded by darkness all around, and with your sight obscured, the light slips further and further away, even though it has not moved an inch in reality. Everything is self-contained within the individual, all of their struggles and misfortunes are the direct result of their own desires manifesting as thoughts and actions. Is it wrong to have desires? Of course not, but at least within the context of this show, these desires turn into obsessions, which leads to ruin.

The last scene was painful to watch, but it happened as a result of everything that has occurred thus far. It would be fun to dig deeper into this episode as a whole actually, but I doubt that there's any complex or intricate meaning to it all. Through analysis, something could be cooked up, but for now, it's a story of people losing themselves in trying so hard to reach towards what they want the most.
Jul 23, 2015 6:09 PM
Oct 2012
those last few minutes with andre made me so damn uncomfortable and upset. :| like wtf are you trying to accomplish
Nov 12, 2015 8:34 PM
May 2014
That got really... rape-y... Andre... WTF...
Dec 10, 2015 5:31 PM
Jul 2015
Damn son, things got real there. Where can their relationship go from here?
Jan 9, 2016 10:37 AM
Nov 2014
Wtf happen lol ? Andre went from a badass into a depressed, emo guy/rapist in one fecking episode. Insane development.
Feb 25, 2016 8:40 PM
Jul 2018
This is what happens when you keep your penis sealed off for too long. It's not development, it's human.
Jun 10, 2016 5:43 PM
Feb 2013
Again with the Oscar-Fersen thing, it just feels really forced and unfitting.

And speaking of forced, what was with that last scene. It's so unlike Andre to try raping Oscar. That felt so out of place, but I guess they're just trying too highlight the fact that he's losing it.
Jun 14, 2016 1:10 AM

Jan 2013
The best episode in the series so far.
Though I've already said this about a couple of times before so it wouldn't be a surprise if the remaining episodes are even better.

That scene with Oscar and Andre was simply stunning. I've had a lot of complains about RoV, but boy when it does get stuff right its absolute top notch.

Wonder what'll happen to Andre now that he's going to be blind pretty soon.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Oct 25, 2016 2:37 AM
Oct 2016
I sense a culture confussion here. First of all, I didn't see it as rape attempt. Yes, he kissed her forcefully at first but when he pinned her, it was meant for her to listen. So he wanted to silence her and force her to listen. I don't understand the shirt ripping thing, but the man's almost blind and the room was black since Oscar didn't want to light candle so I bet he didn't see anything either.
His action was far more explainable in the manga. It was supposed to show his anguish which later altered his initial characterization also to show 'male possession'. RoV was full of metaphors.

I also agree when he said 'rose is a rose and can never be a lilac' he meant that 'oscar is oscar and can never be anyone else, either it's man or woman'. Her gender ambiguity was what made her Oscar, and he didn't see why she had to sacrifice one for another.
Dec 24, 2016 6:45 PM

Oct 2012
Well gosh. Things got worse after all.

This has to be a breaking point between Andre and Oscar, as both are at their wits end given the circumstances eating away at them. I can't imagine they'll be on good terms after that...

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Apr 21, 2017 2:53 AM

Jun 2016
That was definitely a tempestuous episode - but with such a strange title! Andre, A Green Lemon? What is that supposed to mean?
Apr 29, 2017 12:38 PM
Jul 2009
An unforgettable episode with some of the most powerful and moving dialogues from the two male characters, Fersen and Andre.

Fersen's "there's only one kind of love, the love of agony", hit me in the recondite corners of my heart. This sole dialogue summed up the love lives of all 4 main characters, Oscar, Antoinette, Andre and Fersen. And perhaps half of the human population in real life, too.

But it was Andre who stole the show in this episode. This was the second instance of him making a long lasting impact on me, the first being when he ran to save Oscar from the dungeon in Palais Royale in the most selfless, ardent and heroic act of impulse. I won't look down on him for losing his wits in the last scenes of this episode for that alone was the most human depiction of his predicament - an all-consuming unrequited love that he has held on to for the sole reason that he can, in the very least, be next to his love and see her from his little corner in the back coming to a standstill with no point of return. It's rather heartless to overlook the chain of events; of him realising that he is slowly losing his eyesight; witnessing Oscar's moment of weakness in front of Fersen and of Oscar's ill-timed advice asking him not to accompany her anymore and do as he wished, as if he had wished for anything more than being by her side.

"A rose will be a rose, whether it blooms in red or white"
Gender identity may be a gift of nature for some and a tragedy for others experiencing an identity crisis. Not to dig too deep into this statement, but I felt that somehow it bespoke an implicit rejection of classical liberal feminism and its idea that individualism sufficiently defines our collective purpose as people without analysing the characteristic differences between man and woman.
Apr 29, 2017 10:37 PM
Jul 2009
Arachnophobic said:
That was definitely a tempestuous episode - but with such a strange title! Andre, A Green Lemon? What is that supposed to mean?

My mind is going crazy with all sorts of ideas. But the most obvious answer, i guess, would be that a green lemon is one that has not ripened yet. In terms of people, it could symbolise a lack of maturity, perhaps referring to Andre's momentary break down in the last scenes.

It could also mean a lemon that has not had proper care, such as lack of exposure or even over exposure to sunlight, water, nutrients, etc. If latter, it may be a case of a normal lemon turning bad. Now think of that in terms of a man and substitute the above necessities for a lemon's growth with that of a human, perhaps things such as love and empathy, and you might get a decent idea about the significance of the episode's title.

Apr 29, 2017 11:55 PM

Jun 2016
AhChoo said:
Arachnophobic said:

My mind is going crazy with all sorts of ideas. But the most obvious answer, i guess, would be that a green lemon is one that has not ripened yet. In terms of people, it could symbolise a lack of maturity, perhaps referring to Andre's momentary break down in the last scenes.

It could also mean a lemon that has not had proper care, such as lack of exposure or even over exposure to sunlight, water, nutrients, etc. If latter, it may be a case of a normal lemon turning bad. Now think of that in terms of a man and substitute the above necessities for a lemon's growth with that of a human, perhaps things such as love and empathy, and you might get a decent idea about the significance of the episode's title.

Or maybe it's because what Andre did leaves a sour taste in the mouths of many viewers? :) At the same time, there are a few who appreciate the acerbity of a lemon - it's hard-hitting, yet novel and refreshing.

For a show that doesn't bank very often on being subtle, it surprised me with such an ambiguous episode title.
Apr 30, 2017 12:13 AM
Jul 2009
Arachnophobic said:
AhChoo said:

Or maybe it's because what Andre did leaves a sour taste in the mouths of many viewers? :) At the same time, there are a few who appreciate the acerbity of a lemon - it's hard-hitting, yet novel and refreshing.

For a show that doesn't bank very often on being subtle, it surprised me with such an ambiguous episode title.

A plausible deduction, but if sourness is of any significance, it's common to all lemons, not just of the green variety. Perhaps bitter would be the right expression in this context.
Jul 11, 2017 7:35 AM

Jul 2015
Better keep looking at the sun, it will definitely be helpful for your eye!

That confession... well, I can understand Andre considering the situation he's in, but wow, especially when he ripped her clothes.
Sep 18, 2017 3:08 AM
Sep 2017
This episode really shocked me. However Andre's despair is depicted beautifully. He 's desperate because he's going blind and won't see his love again. Oscar is in love with another man. On top of it, she wants to become a man and tells Andre; she doesn't need him anymore. It was indeed, the last straw. Ripping Oscar' s shirt was a passionate crime.
Sep 26, 2017 6:15 AM
May 2012
oh man, this episode was great. i loved it. i can really understand andre. all these pent up emotion, he finally unleashed it. he's panicking because of his right eye, i mean, i would too.
best episode!
Dec 13, 2017 5:56 PM

Nov 2016
Another great episode, the drama is on point and the characters feel alive, that's how it should be done.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 19, 2018 8:01 PM
Jan 2018
Wtf Andre!! Que tipo de confissão foi essa?!!! Deixou Oscar traumatizada.
Apr 24, 2018 12:35 PM

Apr 2016
It was about time Andre called out Oscar on her delusions. Too bad it took him twenty years to do it.

I wonder how Nanna feels about all this, with her (pretty much) children leaving the house for an uncertain future. She'll be all alone.
Apr 24, 2018 8:50 PM

May 2014
PonPonPon said:
That was one of the most powerful and emotionally complex scenes I have ever seen in an anime. Holy crap.

So, people who are attacking Andre need to understand something - the last scene is not meant to make you empathize with him. Much like Shinji refusing to get in the robot, the scene uses Andre's unsolvable conundrum to give a new dimension to, while forcing the viewer to re-assess, his character. Here is a woman who he has loved for twenty years, who now claims to reject her womanhood and by extension, his love (all in a heteronormative context, sure, but still). On top of that, he's about to lose his eyesight, and knows that in a short time he won't even be able to physically see her. His desperate "solution" is terrible and ridiculously misguided, but this is why he's a good character. Particularly since he's been portrayed as sort of a "white knight" for most of the show - always being there for Oscar while never burdening her with his feelings, and generally never getting into a situation that challenges the viewer to make an alternate assessment on his character - this scene is amazing because he is made fully, completely human by it.

And that's speaking only of Andre's viewpoint. Oscar, for the first time in the show, is forced to come to terms with the physical limitations imposed on her gender identity. Actually, this is the first time in the show where she's had to confront her gender identity in any significant manner; usually her gender ambiguity was played for laughs (with the noblewomen who fawned after her), or as semi-serious but still pretty light exploration of her relationships with people around her (her father, Fersen, etc.).

So yea, great episode. Really, really great last scene.

Yes yes yes !! I know you made this years ago but it's currently almost 12am in my time and I just finished this episode. I couldn't agree more with you! This is by far one of my favorite episodes so far! I didn't take it as pinning her down and ripping her shirt off as an instigator of sexual prowess tbh. I took as it an example of why she'll always be a rose and not a lilac. Andre is honestly one of my favorite characters. I've been waiting for his confession since the beginning and I'm not in the least bit disappointed! So to bother you with this reply I just loved the way you drew comparisons and articulated your response :)
Oscar and Andre deserved better
Oct 26, 2018 10:26 AM
Jul 2018
André wanted to see them before he became completely blind.
Jan 5, 2019 11:31 PM

Aug 2016
yeah, you know , my boy Andre has great taste
:v
Jan 11, 2019 3:36 PM
Jul 2018
Don't deny your nature, Oscar.
You don't realize that it is a gift? Being born as you truly are, a woman, is still a wonderful thing.
Jan 6, 2020 10:22 PM
Sep 2013
GOD that was a great and painful episode. I took that last scene as Andre trying to prove a point in an incredibly impulsive, immature, hurtful and ultimately counterproductive way, hence him being a green (unripe/immature) lemon.

I get the sense that he wants Oscar to integrate her personality into one whole, the way he sees her, rather than what she's doing now where she splits herself between separate "man" and "woman" boxes.

Oscar thinks her woman-ness is what led to her heartbreak, which is why she's trying to distance herself from it (which, lol. Fersen's no lady but his heartache is basically a French landmark at this point, not to mention Andre's entire deal).

So Andre, desperate, heartbroken, impatient Andre, tries to bring her out of denial (and into his arms)... by demonstrating an actual weak, traumatising aspect of her sex. Whoops. She's just gonna run harder now.
workyourwayoutJan 6, 2020 10:27 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

yma981 - Sep 23, 2008

65 by ArtimesGamer »»
Apr 19, 2:36 AM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 8 Discussion

removed-user - Apr 19, 2009

41 by Natt_5cents »»
Apr 18, 9:01 AM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 32 Discussion

DonKangolJones - Nov 30, 2008

48 by 5hadow17 »»
Apr 4, 12:30 PM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 17 Discussion

Alcoholicide - Sep 6, 2011

24 by ryougi_shiki07 »»
Apr 2, 6:08 PM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 16 Discussion

MagEarwhig - May 26, 2009

33 by ryougi_shiki07 »»
Apr 2, 4:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.