Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

OMG The character design, the art, the directing! Any other gundam series like this?!!

New
Oct 17, 2014 1:59 AM

Jul 2011
I'm not really familiar with Gundam franchise, i only watched 2 episodes of Gundam Seed, several episode of Gundam Wings, and like several episode of some random modern Gundam that comes around this past few years and none of it is my cup of tea.

But then today i decide to check this series and oh my i'm blown off, the CHARACTER DESIGN is soooooooooo unique, interesting, and awesome!! and i love the art, the setting, omg the color palette, and the directing is fun!
While we all know that this anime is about giant robot, space and all that stuff, the directing manage to keep the atmosphere down to earth, genuine, and enjoyable.
SO DIFFERENT FROM ALL THE RANDOM GUNDAM SERIES I'VE WATCHED SO FAR!!

So, do you guys have a suggestion on any gundam series similar with this one? Thankyou sooo much ♥
Oct 17, 2014 2:29 AM
Oct 2009
I think the general consensus for Gundam series is that Turn A Gundam is pretty similar to this. As far as art and character design, I would say try looking for some of Kenichi Yoshida's(the character designer for this show) stuff.
Oct 17, 2014 4:33 AM

Nov 2012
turn a
IF YOU LIKE DEATH PARADE, GO WATCH BARTENDER!!!
my animesongs chord thread : here bro
Oct 17, 2014 4:49 AM
Jul 2014
+1 for Turn A
It is the most similar in tone and already a good deal more quirky than a lot of other Gundams.

(Not a Gundam series, but still a Tomino mecha show would be Overman King Gainer from 2003, you might like that aswell^^)
Oct 17, 2014 5:12 AM

Dec 2007
millo said:
I'm not really familiar with Gundam franchise, i only watched 2 episodes of Gundam Seed, several episode of Gundam Wings, and like several episode of some random modern Gundam that comes around this past few years and none of it is my cup of tea.

But then today i decide to check this series and oh my i'm blown off, the CHARACTER DESIGN is soooooooooo unique, interesting, and awesome!! and i love the art, the setting, omg the color palette, and the directing is fun!
While we all know that this anime is about giant robot, space and all that stuff, the directing manage to keep the atmosphere down to earth, genuine, and enjoyable.
SO DIFFERENT FROM ALL THE RANDOM GUNDAM SERIES I'VE WATCHED SO FAR!!

So, do you guys have a suggestion on any gundam series similar with this one? Thankyou sooo much ♥
As said, many aspects are reminiscent of Turn A, which would be the black sheep of the franchise without SD and G Gundam, but is much better than it's often given credit for.

However, the art and animation are intentionally pulling a more retro feel that's closer to the original Gundam titles (and is not far off from many in that era), but with a more "cartoony" take and the better animation they can pull off with modern technology. With the exception of a few comically out-of-place CGI scenes, this has created a pretty good vibe.
Oct 18, 2014 7:47 PM
Feb 2013
Turn A is the only gundam that comes close.

Not gundam related but i implore you to watch Eureka 7, it has the look of this anime but it's done 10x better, for a show that's nearing the 10 years old mark i still think it's one of the most well animated series of all time and not many anime since than have topped it imo, without the slightest of doubt one of my favorite, if not my favorite anime.
Oct 23, 2014 3:18 PM

Jan 2013
that moment when this shows art and direction is exactly like Eureka Seven
Oct 23, 2014 8:15 PM

Sep 2011
its not a gundam nor can i confirm as ive yet to see it but supposedly one of the directors earlier works called xabungle has alot of similarities with this show in sense of its goofy and playful tone, so does a show called L gaim suppossedly but thats apparantly not that good and has a really dark ending out of no where or something, again cant confirm

i havent seen all the gundam yet though none of the ones ive seen so far really fit the bill, they are generally much darker and more serious and while not without any goofiness they generally feel a bit more to the point, the sole exception is G gundam which is crazy and over the top but in a different way than G no reconguista is, like G gundam is really over the top and absurd to the point where it will be a love it or hate it kind of deal while G reco is more slapsitcky and on the sid eof being a war story with a sense of humor and playful tone rather than the balls to the wall insane that G gundam is.

though if you find yourself liking G reco you may want to just try watching tomino's catalog in general even if its generally pretty grim tone and subject wise, he may be right up your alley. just dont watch gundam 079 < zeta < ZZ < CCA out of that specific order, anything else by him you can watch completely freely.
JizzyHitlerOct 23, 2014 8:19 PM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Oct 26, 2014 1:54 AM

Jul 2011
Thankyou so much for the input guys!

So i guess, i will be checking Turn A Gundam soon, while im waiting for new epsiode of G-reco, too bad it seems like the only gundam series that fit the category :(
After that Eureeka 7 (omg the character design is awesome on that one!!!), and probably Overman King Gainer

JizzyHitler said:

though if you find yourself liking G reco you may want to just try watching tomino's catalog in general even if its generally pretty grim tone and subject wise, he may be right up your alley. just dont watch gundam 079 < zeta < ZZ < CCA out of that specific order, anything else by him you can watch completely freely.

Ahh... i see, thanksss ♥
But could you tell me why i should avoid gundam 079 < zeta < ZZ < CCA???
Oct 26, 2014 2:07 AM

Dec 2012
I think he meant to watch them in this specific order. The rest of the releases you can easily fit in later, when you become familiar with the general tone and re-occurring characters.

If you begin with 0079, you'd actually find very similar imagery to G-Reco (the elevator view, the jungle animals, mannerism, etc.). The crush course it to check the movie trilogy, some tweaks and changes compared to the 43 episodes exist, though.
Oct 26, 2014 5:20 PM

Sep 2011
zellami said:
I think he meant to watch them in this specific order. The rest of the releases you can easily fit in later, when you become familiar with the general tone and re-occurring characters.

If you begin with 0079, you'd actually find very similar imagery to G-Reco (the elevator view, the jungle animals, mannerism, etc.). The crush course it to check the movie trilogy, some tweaks and changes compared to the 43 episodes exist, though.
yeah i meant not to watch them out of order, the reality of the tomino universal century entries is that its essentially a 150 episodes series just broken into 3 seasons and a movie to conclude everything(that is until unicorn which is not by tomino but is considered a cannon entry, it also should not be watched out of order so save it until you watch char's counterattack). That said gundam F91 and victory gundam also by series creator tomino can be seen out of order despite taking place in the same universe as 079-CCA due to them not having any ties to characters of the past entires save for a neat little manga side story for victory gundam and the manga sequel for F91. Though personally i say if your game for it 079 is the best place to begin as it really sets up everything for not just its sequels but as well as every alternate universe gundam

its up to you but i personally found the movie trilogy to be better than the TV series, while there are a couple of things i wish they would had kept i cant help but feel it cut a ton of the fluff and fixxed a few things such as how newtypes have actual build up and dont just come out of fucking no where in the 3rd act of the show, the pacing generally felt way better to me and as an added bonus they reanimate certain parts to make it a bit more pleasing on the eye, but if your willing to go for the Tv series its more enjoyable but jsut be prepared for some mecha of the week formula though it does it better than most
JizzyHitlerOct 26, 2014 5:29 PM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 17, 2014 9:19 AM
Jul 2018
If you never saw eureka 7 and eureka 7 ao u definitely need to go watch them both now before even Turn A. Classics IMO.
Nov 20, 2014 6:04 PM

May 2010
Am I the only one who thinks the music is sorely out of place in about 70% of the scenes?

Serious conversations don't sound serious. It's good music but it almost never fits.

I like everything else about the show, but it's just weird. I'd almost like it better if there weren't any music at all.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gundam: G no Reconguista Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2014

153 by KiroTheAssassin »»
Jan 20, 6:28 PM

Poll: » Gundam: G no Reconguista Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2015

91 by Neemesis_2 »»
Dec 6, 2023 2:49 AM

Poll: » Gundam: G no Reconguista Episode 25 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 19, 2015

29 by Neemesis_2 »»
Dec 6, 2023 2:17 AM

Poll: » Gundam: G no Reconguista Episode 24 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 12, 2015

26 by Neemesis_2 »»
Dec 6, 2023 1:45 AM

Poll: » Gundam: G no Reconguista Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 5, 2015

22 by Neemesis_2 »»
Dec 5, 2023 2:59 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.