Forum Settings
Forums
Nov 5, 2009 12:55 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1815
because I was born
あらあら。。。^^
 
Nov 5, 2009 2:04 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 28
actually I do not see a point in living so that what makes me not affraid of death. Still I am planning to live in order to purely enjoy my life.

good education ( planning to study law & japanese )
get a nice job ^^
get sort of rich
have a intelligent and cool wife
have kids that I can spend time with since I love fooling around / playing / eating sweets
+ I wanna die in a COOL and UNIQUE way. I hope to die safcrifacing my own life for someone.

but still I am willing to live in order to learn, experience fun, and simply enjoy the crazy things the life brings us.
 
Nov 5, 2009 3:22 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 100
to watch anime.... manga...
Isn't that's wat everybody in MAL is living for? XP

nah, the real reason is to find the importance of your existence
 
Nov 5, 2009 3:34 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 876
I invested my life savings in Bernie Madoff and I'm waiting till I get rich!
LEGENDOFTHEGALACTICHEROESLEGENDOFTHEGALACTI
LEGENDOFTHEGALACTICHEROESLEGENDOFTHEGALACTI
LEGENDOFTHEGALACTICHEROESLEGENDOFTHEGALACTI
 
Nov 5, 2009 3:44 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 455
My Raison d'être is to find happiness and live a life with as few regrets as possible (I want to conquer the world).


"Sanity is overrated."
 
Nov 5, 2009 3:48 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 517
For my parents and to anime of course you can't watch them in your afterlife anyway!

n_n
 
Nov 5, 2009 3:57 AM
Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 683
BadLuckTuckxL said:
I think my "reason" is for the little things; living till the new movie I want to see comes out, living to talk to my friends in the morning, just stupid tidbits like that.
They are not stupid reasons to live, silly billy. They are wonderful :) Some of the most accomplished people in the world are miserable for lack of those things.

Purpose: to live happily ever after of course :) "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true".
 
Nov 5, 2009 4:11 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 1578
my reason for living is me. I couldn't live without my family but my reason for going on is me. I kinda like myself and im interested in the world. Its all like a big experiment really.
 
Nov 5, 2009 6:07 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 13588
I'm a Nihilist. I don't have a reason for existing and I don't need to make up one.

Eigi man ek þá lǫg jómsvikinga ef ek kviði við bana eða mæla ek æðruorð. Eitt sinn skal hverr deyja
 
Nov 5, 2009 6:24 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 210
The hope that one day, I will get to punch Ryan Seacrest in the face.
 
Nov 5, 2009 8:01 AM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 79
i must take over the world
 
Nov 5, 2009 8:11 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4017
Baman said:
I'm a Nihilist. I don't have a reason for existing and I don't need to make up one.

I'm not a nihilist but I'd agree with this.


Though I suppose "observe reality until bored" might count.


Of course, the idea of a simple reason to live by to begin with is a tad demeaning, I feel. If I'd have a reason I'd have a very complicated one. Preferably so complex I had no idea what to make out of it. Screw simplicity.
How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read. | Report rules abuse | Your Panel | Clubs | Messages | Forum | Recent
<img src="http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/4672/stuhlbarg.png" />
 
Nov 5, 2009 9:54 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 3233
Kaiserpingvin said:
Baman said:
I'm a Nihilist. I don't have a reason for existing and I don't need to make up one.

I'm not a nihilist but I'd agree with this.


Though I suppose "observe reality until bored" might count.


Of course, the idea of a simple reason to live by to begin with is a tad demeaning, I feel. If I'd have a reason I'd have a very complicated one. Preferably so complex I had no idea what to make out of it. Screw simplicity.


Occam's razor, supporting nihilism since 1288.
 
Nov 5, 2009 10:22 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 915
I love how all these deep questions, and horrid answers, are juxtaposed in general discussion.

Oh, and some people need to fucking distinguish between "purpose" and "reason". Goddamn.
All the mods fucking blow on this website except Kaiserpingvin, Cloudy-Sky, Baman and aero. PM me if you're actually good and I left you out.

Oh, rule 8...

( ̄ー ̄)
 
Nov 5, 2009 10:42 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4017
Sin said:
Oh, and some people need to fucking distinguish between "purpose" and "reason". Goddamn.

The distinction is significant in this context how?

Splendid post by the way. Clearly distinguishes itself from the rest.
How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read. | Report rules abuse | Your Panel | Clubs | Messages | Forum | Recent
<img src="http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/4672/stuhlbarg.png" />
 
Nov 5, 2009 10:45 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 101
love.
 
Nov 5, 2009 10:49 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 773
To live.
 
Nov 5, 2009 11:56 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 96
pray, work, to get the love of the God is enough. :D
 
Nov 5, 2009 12:02 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1657
I don't even know why I'm still alive. The only thing I treasure is my family, that's what's keeping me striving to live in my everyday life, although that might change when I have my own family.
 
Nov 5, 2009 12:24 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 501
DEEP QUESTION, BRO

Anyways, I think my reason to live is to find love and pass on my genes, so that I may not live on, but my family name and legacy will!
Sadly, I'm not doing too great on my reason to live...
 
Nov 5, 2009 12:35 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 732
Hmm.. I'm now concentrating on exploring my talents. Or trying to gain experience on particular things. Life is something you have to get the most out of it. That's also my reason to live I think. But of course things I like (food, anime etc.) are also a reason for me because if I didn't have those things, I wouldn't really live. Life is something beautiful, and very short so just do the things you like. It's not worth it to always worry about things cause that may make you older (hehe..)
 
Nov 5, 2009 12:41 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1378
Kaiserpingvin said:
Baman said:
I'm a Nihilist. I don't have a reason for existing and I don't need to make up one.

I'm not a nihilist but I'd agree with this.


Though I suppose "observe reality until bored" might count.


Of course, the idea of a simple reason to live by to begin with is a tad demeaning, I feel. If I'd have a reason I'd have a very complicated one. Preferably so complex I had no idea what to make out of it. Screw simplicity.


Might I ask what exactly is demeaning about a simple reason versus a complex one? Purely out of curiosity. There is an appeal to both, I think. But then again, this may be because I don't exactly understand what you mean.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
 
Nov 5, 2009 12:46 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4017
FAGBUTT said:
Might I ask what exactly is demeaning about a simple reason versus a complex one? Purely out of curiosity. There is an appeal to both, I think. But then again, this may be because I don't exactly understand what you mean.

I find it a bit ridiculous to reduce my life to just a short sentence. "He did it for love", "he did it for god", "he did it for the laughs", eh. I would prefer something as complicated as a life to have a sufficiently convoluted 'reason', if I at all thought I wanted one.

As it goes I don't.

I'm not even sure it makes sense to reduce a life to one reason, or any. I'm inclined to say it doesn't.
How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read. | Report rules abuse | Your Panel | Clubs | Messages | Forum | Recent
<img src="http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/4672/stuhlbarg.png" />
 
Nov 5, 2009 12:57 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1378
Kaiserpingvin said:
FAGBUTT said:
Might I ask what exactly is demeaning about a simple reason versus a complex one? Purely out of curiosity. There is an appeal to both, I think. But then again, this may be because I don't exactly understand what you mean.

I find it a bit ridiculous to reduce my life to just a short sentence. "He did it for love", "he did it for god", "he did it for the laughs", eh. I would prefer something as complicated as a life to have a sufficiently convoluted 'reason', if I at all thought I wanted one.

As it goes I don't.

I'm not even sure it makes sense to reduce a life to one reason, or any. I'm inclined to say it doesn't.


I see. Well I can see what your saying, what I'm saying is what if your life simply was not that complex? Assuming you were looking for an underlying reason, a simple reason for a simple person seems sensible to me. I'd think the complexity would simply depend on the individual.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
 
Nov 5, 2009 1:01 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 584
It's hard to know that. A reason for living cannot be puted into a short sentence, like kaiserpingvin said.
So, as long as we live, we are always searching for something to live for.

There are people that say that they don't have reasons to live, and that they just want to die, but the truth is that they just want to keep living and finding a true reason of living.
 
Nov 5, 2009 1:09 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 1217
Living for an achievable purpose demeans living in general.

"The joy of life consists in the exercise of one's energies, continual growth, constant change, the enjoyment of every new experience. To stop means simply to die. The eternal mistake of mankind is to set up an attainable ideal." - Aleister Crowley
"When he will, the weary world
Of the senses closely curled
Like a serpent round his heart
Shakes herself and stands apart."
- A.C., Equinox I/I
 
Nov 5, 2009 1:33 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2551
I came into this thread expecting to see at least a few 42's, but was disappointed. Has that joke gone too mainstream now, or is it heading back toward obscurity? Or perhaps just overused in general, by now?

Moving on - I don't really have a "reason" to live, since living is mostly a passive process. I mean yeah, I have to eat, occasionally move out of harm's way, etc, but it's not like I think about that sort of thing.

Maybe a better question would be "Why not stop living?", to which I would have to reply "Because I'm not bored enough to kill myself." or something similarly obvious and simplistic.
 
Nov 5, 2009 3:18 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 1392
Survival instinct.

 
Nov 5, 2009 3:24 PM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 542
Baman said:
I'm a Nihilist. I don't have a reason for existing and I don't need to make up one.


The question was for 'living', not 'existing'. No one here can explain the reason for their own existence. Though I'm sure some people would like to think that it is within the realm of their abilities. The connotations between these words set them pretty far apart.
 
Nov 5, 2009 4:13 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2551
vk_raistlin said:
The question was for 'living', not 'existing'. No one here can explain the reason for their own existence. Though I'm sure some people would like to think that it is within the realm of their abilities. The connotations between these words set them pretty far apart.
Really? I don't see much difference between them. Unless you believe that you exist before or after you're alive, but that would just be silly.
 
Nov 5, 2009 4:16 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 7714
ArcadiaZer0 said:
That's a hard question for some people to answer. I'm still finding my reason, I know that I'll find it once I reach my goal though.

This.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
 
Nov 5, 2009 4:18 PM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 63
still trying to unravel that one and i don't think i'll ever think too deep on it because it'll turn into "my reason for living is to comtemplate the question."

just do what makes you happy even when what makes you happy can get you into trouble >_<
 
Nov 5, 2009 4:22 PM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 542
naikou said:
vk_raistlin said:
The question was for 'living', not 'existing'. No one here can explain the reason for their own existence. Though I'm sure some people would like to think that it is within the realm of their abilities. The connotations between these words set them pretty far apart.
Really? I don't see much difference between them. Unless you believe that you exist before or after you're alive, but that would just be silly.


Your existence is indefinite beyond the point of it's initiation. Your 'life' is not so. Your existence is also reason enough in itself; it requires no justification beyond this. However, you can 'live' for something. This implies receiving something in return from the process (life) that existence in itself doesn't guarantee. Life is a system that can be affected on a level that existence cannot.
 
Nov 5, 2009 5:15 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2551
vk_raistlin said:
Your existence is indefinite beyond the point of it's initiation.
How so? You either exist or you don't. It's not indefinite at all.

If you're trying to say that it's "indefinite" whether you will eventually exist or not... well that's an argument in determinism I don't care to get into right now. But even if you assume a non-deterministic universe, existence and life are equally "indefinite" as you put it. There's no real difference.
vk_raistlin said:
Your existence is also reason enough in itself; it requires no justification beyond this.

mmm kay.

vk_raistlin said:
However, you can 'live' for something. This implies receiving something in return from the process (life) that existence in itself doesn't guarantee. Life is a system that can be affected on a level that existence cannot.
I don't follow. Give an example of a case where you could say "I live for such and such a reason." where you could not say "I exist for such and such a reason" without carrying the exact same meaning.

e.g.
"I live in order to make the world a better place."
"I exist in order to make the world a better place."

It's the same thing.
 
Nov 5, 2009 5:31 PM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 542
I said it is indefinite beyond its initiation (in reference to its limits in relation to time).

As for the latter, definitions are always going to be relative, to an extent.

e.g.

You can exist to make the world a better place. That doesn't mean that you derive anything from the action itself. It is simply what it is, a purpose and the action/consequences that follow.

I live to make the world a better place. This implies that the action of making the world a better place does something for you. Not just on a simple cause and effect basis.

It's just how I interpret it at least. Sorry for the brevity, but I'm peacing out for a bit.
 
Nov 5, 2009 5:38 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 10883
People are born before they have the ability to reason. It's not like we could have decided the reason before we were born anyways. The better phrasing of this question is probably: "Why do people continue to live?" There's probably a wild array of answers for this. I wouldn't say it's due to instinct though since the human mind seem to lack instincts compared to many other organisms.

To most people, this train of thought about a reason to live would never occur them. Only in modern times now do we have a sort of crisis to search for an unique identity whereas before, people do not need to ask such arbitrary questions in which the answer to them are really quite, just arbitrary.
 
Nov 5, 2009 5:50 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2551
vk_raistlin said:
I said it is indefinite beyond its initiation (in reference to its limits in relation to time).
Erm.

Yeah, still no idea where you're going with that. Existence is limited in relation to time. So is life? Existence is "indefinite" after it's initiation. Same thing, so is life?

And what does that have to do with the argument at hand anyway?

vk_raistlin said:
As for the latter, definitions are always going to be relative, to an extent.
Yes, but I've never heard a definition of life that involves getting something out of it. I mean, you can, if you want, define it that way. I can just as easily define the word "rationality" to mean the same thing as "irrationality" and now our entire discussion is pointless. Or wait, I guess I didn't change much.
 
Nov 5, 2009 6:47 PM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 165
To scared to die I guess. I have this stupid thought in my head that one day everything I do will matter. When it won't. I've actually contemplated suicide. Couldn't bring myself to actually do it though.
 
Nov 5, 2009 8:30 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 763
SEMANTIX, SERIOUS BUSINESS.
naikou said:
Yes, but I've never heard a definition of life that involves getting something out of it. I mean, you can, if you want, define it that way. I can just as easily define the word "rationality" to mean the same thing as "irrationality" and now our entire discussion is pointless. Or wait, I guess I didn't change much.
It's a romanticised view of living, which comes hard to us pessimists and rationalists.

I think the main semantic distinction (for those who would believe there to be one) is very optimistically Sarte: To 'live' carries a brighter connotation of the 'essence' and of this 'derivation of pleasure' vk mentioned. To simply 'exist' could be equated with the simple 'existence' that Sartre claims precedes the essence, likened to the être en soi.
Loosely relevant examples:
A middle-aged native-born North Korean man may exist to serve the system, but he might live for the South K-pop in which he indulges every afternoon between the hours of 18 and 20.
A rock exists just as you might think I do, but I'm sure one of us lives more than the other.
Mersault exists, but does he really live (dohoho Sisyphus all over again)? Though he certainly gets laid more than the average MAL user.

And I was considering ending the thread with a '42', but I decided that it would be silly of me, since it would make me look like either a Douglas Adams fan or a bandwagoner, I might be one, but I can't let people find out which.
 
Nov 5, 2009 8:37 PM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 542
qtipbrit said:
SEMANTIX, SERIOUS BUSINESS.
naikou said:
Yes, but I've never heard a definition of life that involves getting something out of it. I mean, you can, if you want, define it that way. I can just as easily define the word "rationality" to mean the same thing as "irrationality" and now our entire discussion is pointless. Or wait, I guess I didn't change much.
It's a romanticised view of living, which comes hard to us pessimists and rationalists.

I think the main semantic distinction (for those who would believe there to be one) is very optimistically Sarte: To 'live' carries a brighter connotation of the 'essence' and of this 'derivation of pleasure' vk mentioned. To simply 'exist' could be equated with the simple 'existence' that Sartre claims precedes the essence, likened to the être en soi.
Loosely relevant examples:
A middle-aged native-born North Korean man may exist to serve the system, but he might live for the South K-pop in which he indulges every afternoon between the hours of 18 and 20.
A rock exists just as you might think I do, but I'm sure one of us lives more than the other.
Mersault exists, but does he really live (dohoho Sisyphus all over again)? Though he certainly gets laid more than the average MAL user.


Thanks for clarifying in lieu of my absence. This is essentially my point.

qtipbrit said:
And I was considering ending the thread with a '42', but I decided that it would be silly of me, since it would make me look like either a Douglas Adams fan or a bandwagoner, I might be one, but I can't let people find out which.


Just say you got it from Dylan then, though I guess it is to the same end.
Modified by Inactivity, Nov 5, 2009 8:50 PM
 
Nov 5, 2009 8:41 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 1081
To die alone.
 
Nov 5, 2009 8:42 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 56
Sometimes:
Moimy said:
Love..


Mostely:
YachiruKusajishi said:
My reason to live? I honestly don't have one.
 
Nov 5, 2009 9:08 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2551
vk_raistlin said:
Thanks for clarifying in lieu of my absence. This is essentially my point.
Fine but then why did you quote...

You know, I've lost sight of why I cared in the first place. Have a baby seal.



d'awwwwwww. He's cute but he probably doesn't have a reason for existing I mean living. Gawd. We could learn much from our semi-aquatic friend.
 
Nov 5, 2009 9:29 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1004
live.........
::: (\(\
*: (=' :') :*
•.. (,('')('')¤°﹒‧°‧° ☆.(¯`•.•´¯)
.°☆ ‧°‧°☆∴° ☆ ¤º… `•.¸.•´ ☆™
 
Nov 5, 2009 9:54 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 395
The world needs me :-)
Sverige är ärorikt, såsom jag :-]
 
Nov 5, 2009 10:07 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 378
I've got to make my mark on this world one way or another. They could do whatever they want with me afterward.

Criticker|Memory is a way of holding onto the things you love,|Last.fm
the things you are, and the things you never want to lose.

 
Nov 6, 2009 12:17 AM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 0
i have my daughter is that a good enough reason? if it werent for her i dont know what id do since i think my fiancee is cheating on me
I am nothing but the shiver down your back,
the shadow on the wall,
the scratching in the attic and,
the howl in the wind.
 
Nov 6, 2009 12:33 AM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 2451
Uhh... My reason to live is...... I don't know yet. ^^
I don't have one.
 
Nov 6, 2009 12:35 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 370
My reason to live?

To piss other people off! :3

No j/k, not sure. ):
 
Nov 6, 2009 4:01 AM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 542
naikou said:
vk_raistlin said:
Thanks for clarifying in lieu of my absence. This is essentially my point.
Fine but then why did you quote...

You know, I've lost sight of why I cared in the first place. Have a baby seal.



d'awwwwwww. He's cute but he probably doesn't have a reason for existing I mean living. Gawd. We could learn much from our semi-aquatic friend.


If you still have a point to make, give it another go. As far as I can tell, your question has been answered in reference to my take on the differences in the connotations of the two words.
 
Top
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »