Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Oct 14, 2014 2:06 PM

Jan 2014
I'm really enjoying this series, and seeing as how it was a series I had no expectations of (considering I picked it up on a whim) it's a pleasant surprise.

At first it really tripped me out at the end seeing that cut to the future. Too be honest I thought for a second we were already at that point. But when I realized that wasn't the case, and they're just the opposite of what a flashback would be, I'm completely fine with it.

Seems like a promising series though, it certainly is in my taste so I'll be going along with it.
Oct 14, 2014 2:12 PM

Sep 2012
Those 20 minutes flew by quickly, I'm digging this show. That timeskip at the end was questionable, but it seems they'll be going back to start filling that gap in the next episode.
Oct 14, 2014 2:13 PM

Aug 2013
I really want to see how did she from a spoiled and crying girl become such a strong person.
Liking this anime a lot! :)
Oct 14, 2014 2:23 PM

Jul 2013
badass ending was op
i'm just not that happy that they took a huge time leap
Oct 14, 2014 2:43 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Wooah liking the fight scene between Hak and Soo-Won! They did a great job with the tense atmosphere throughout the episode. The bgm suits the setting a lot, and there are few noteworthy ones. I think Min-Soo being shot down was more heartbreaking in the anime than the manga. I don't remember seeing him barely able to walk and then being shot down one last time ;_; although it's been only two episodes and he had barely gotten any screen time, I will still miss him.

They're definitely pacing this pretty well so far, except it was surprising to all of the sudden see a glimpse of the future with all the pretty boys + Ao and Yona being awesome with her presence, but makes sense if they want to grab veiwers' attention. And I really really like the ED. Not familiar with vistlip, but the vocalist reminds me a little of hyde.
Oct 14, 2014 2:46 PM

Sep 2011
Lyrisia said:
Barion-Zara said:

Not really, there r more than 90 chaps out there. I'm just guessing they want to attract the audience by showing them that Yona will become a BA and not just stay a whiny princess ^^

Well it's still funny ^^"
Ah also I meant materials short enough to put in there...

I think the point of having the flash forward is to show that we don't have a wimpy simpering princess for the whole show. It's hardly a spoiler as it's clear that she is going to get allies, and in this sort of show you don't kill off the lead character!

One of my favorite shows of all time Nana used this technique of flash forward really effectively. If it's done correctly then there doesn't have to be any reduction in tension.

BTW .. agree with others about the awesomeness about the OST of this show. It fits the setting perfectly!
Oct 14, 2014 2:49 PM

Jun 2014
As soon as Min-Soo showed up, I could tell that guy wouldn't make it through the episode.

I've really taken a liking to the OP and ED.
Oct 14, 2014 2:50 PM

Jun 2013
Damn this is going so good. I didn't expect anything when going in but this is just.... wow.

I really feel sorry for Yona. All this happened on her 16th birthday. What a bad time for these things to happen. She'll probably remember her birthday as the day she escaped the kingdom after her father's death.

Really looking forward to how she mee all those dudes in her group and.how she brings them to her side or how they join her and Hak because Soo Won will probably treat her as a criminal throughout the kingdom in order to eliminate her.
Oct 14, 2014 2:54 PM

Feb 2013
Thanks to the preview we know that there won't be a random time skip. I was scared for a second that this might get Tokyo Ghoul'd.
Oct 14, 2014 2:58 PM
Mar 2012
I really usually dislike whiny main characters but I don't understand why yona is getting so much hate. In this situation, it's totally understandable. It would be unnatural to be any different.

I find the flash forwards not well done and a little irritating. It's confusing.
Oct 14, 2014 3:09 PM
Jul 2018
King II killed his own brother, I never expected that.

Hak vs Soo-won was pretty good.

Too bad, Min-Soo is dead.
Oct 14, 2014 3:09 PM

Feb 2012
Long live the new King.

Awesome OST throught the whole episode, and the clash between Soo-Won and Hak didnt disappoint.

Now we gotta follow her and see how will she get all those bad ass "bodyguards" that we saw at the end.
Oct 14, 2014 3:15 PM

Apr 2014
I'm not sure how much I trust the flash-forwards will continue to contribute positively without spoiling the forward momentum of the main story, but so far it's working for me.

Such a good episode. Such good battling. Such Hak.
Oct 14, 2014 3:16 PM
Jun 2013
Barion-Zara said:
Loving that ED a lot. Really reminds of Rain (FMA:B OP5) in some parts ^^;

So I wasn't the only one to notice that? In the refrain there are like, one or two notes different from FMAB's fifth opening.
Oct 14, 2014 4:06 PM

Dec 2013
Boy... i'm starting to love Hak too. Man he is just awesome. I love his kind of character~ I believe all guys should be like him. "Use my life to live on, princess." - Hak

This anime is turning out beautifully and as I see it, the romance between Hak and the princess will be sky high up in cloud 9. I can't wait for when that happens. I seriously can't wait for next episode as well. Boy is this series just awesome. The princess is also super pretty and cute even with short hair and found herself a few OP as fuk bodygaurds. But of course Hak is #1 and #1 lover.

5/5 for this episode. I love this series already.
"No one knows what the future holds. That's why its potential is infinite.” - Okabe Rintarou

"El Psy Congroo."

Kirino Kyousake Picture
Oct 14, 2014 4:09 PM

Dec 2011
Ah, so this is Soo-won's revenge for the murder of his father eh...

Yona and her "beloved Soo-won" is really getting on my nerves to be honest.

Hak getting mad was really epic XD.

Poor Min-soo T.T

Awww, a tender moment :3

I can't wait to see more of their childhood.
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
Oct 14, 2014 4:14 PM

May 2013
Damn Hak! That was a badass move!

So we finally learned about Soo-won's betrayal and at least it isn't about some idiot reason. The real action starts in this episode and rest in peace, Min Soo, you are a true follower of Princess Yona.

Seeing the future at the end made me squealed, and not to mention that I did saw my baes though the action there needs more love. I'm happy.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Oct 14, 2014 4:22 PM

Jun 2011
Based off how King Il was acting last episode about Yona wanting to marry Se-won, I think there's something more going on than him killing his brother or somebody having framed him. Maybe Se-Won's father actually tried to kill him but ended up dead from Il defending himself? Se-Won is actually insane and killed his dad then warped his memory to--
Ah, this theory is looking less likely by the minute.
Oct 14, 2014 4:24 PM

Jan 2011
So what did the rest of the guard do? The ones not loyal to Soo-Won? They mentioned there are some, but we didn't get to see them. And out of four general (not counting Hak), only one appeared and had a pointless role.

It's hard to believe that Soo-Won would tell his plans to all the guards, and even harder that not a single one would tell the king etc.

I could understand something like a prophecy etc. that the king even knew of himself, but this.. Soo-Won didn't even reveal how he is so sure that it was King Il who did it. And for being spared by King Il, if it was indeed him who did it, he plans and killing Yona too.

Well, given that it's most likely a plot by that shady assistant of his, it does make sense, but not if Soo-Won himself is the driving force.

About the future scenes: People where whining about a spoiled princess in last episodes thread already. Now they show future scenes, where she definitively changed and is kinda badass. Heck, it's even in the op, so no surprise.

Given how often people here complain about the MC being a badass just because he can, and how often people complain about the lack of character development..what exactly should they do to make you happy?

Badass at start: That's a no go. Especially given that s/he can hardly develop
So make 'em weak: "another whiny bitch/spoiled kid".
So show some development: "whats with that future scenes?"

And half of you read the manga anyways. As you aren't complaining that it isn't completely faithful (as in, every panel gets it's own scene, in the same order as in the manga), there should be no surprises.

Yeah i know i'm complaining about complaining, but it's just really weird to see some comments here.

There are some anime about the anime industry, isn't one even running right now? They should make an anime about anime fans complaining about their favorite anime..

"Animeception"
Oct 14, 2014 4:26 PM

Mar 2009
Great episode. Also, nice animation during the Hak and Soo-won fight.

No way in hell did the kind King kill his own brother. Dude always avoided conflict. Not only that, his brother was a war lord. I think Soo-won is being manipulated.

R.I.P Min-soo. That sure was a brave and noble sacrifice.
Oct 14, 2014 4:57 PM

Aug 2012
Very good episode, the beginning going back over the coup from a different angle gave it more depth and put emphasis on Yona's despair and setup for future development. Just didn't like the skip at the end, I'd like to see her development fully process and play out before seeing the result.
Oct 14, 2014 5:14 PM

Mar 2013
Wait, what?!?
I was a bit taken back at the last few minutes of this ep - The small time skip where Yona suddenly goes through development -_-
I'm interested how Hak and Yona got to where they are and not just randomly showing new members in their party.
Hopefully starting next episode or so they actually show us that process.
Oct 14, 2014 5:17 PM

Jul 2011
those present day glimpses = hnnnng <3
Oct 14, 2014 5:20 PM
Jul 2018
Yay, second episode hooks me even more. Tuesdays just got less depressing ^_^
Oct 14, 2014 5:21 PM

Jul 2011
I'll forgive its flaws because it's a shoujo, it needs some elements.
I'm all for bishounen harem.

But the episode was great (the fighting animation <3), and the ending (I'm pretty sure it's just a preview of what's to come... no way they do a timeskip right there) was freakin' splendid!! I'm SO excited to see how this series develops.
Oct 14, 2014 5:26 PM

Feb 2010
No idea about the manga, but so far, I'm loving this anime. It's seems almost like a new Twelve Kingdoms with the setting, red-haired girl and her development, etc.

By no means I expect this to be as good as The Twelve Kingdoms (I'd love if it were), but right now I'm starting to expect a lot of this anime.

There are some flaws in the details, but the general grasp is pretty good.

While I do agree the time-skip at the ending was confusing at first, it's clearly not a permanent time-skip, so it actually ends up working in favor of the series, I think. It does accomplish what it tries to accomplish, which is making people want to know how Yona will develop in such a strong character... well, at least it worked in me.

Right now, I'm starting to expect good things from this series. Hope it never loses its war epic format to become too much of a reverse harem... I don't think it will though (even if it will clearly be present).

And yes, OST is great.

People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations. - Yang Wen-li
Oct 14, 2014 5:32 PM

Sep 2011
this was definetly a much better episode and while i generally thought it was solid i think certain bits could be handled a bit better such as how the fight abruptly stopped during hak's fight with soo woon as well as some other suspension of disbelief like them not being found in the mountains despite being out in the open. Also even though we all knew it was coming i wish they held off on showing post development yona as i think its more interesting seeing her gradually develop rather than just waiting for her to get to the point shown this episode

Nitpicks aside i definitely enjoyed this episode and hope the series doesnt waste any potential as it goes on

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Oct 14, 2014 5:59 PM

Jun 2014
This is another one of the few shows i REALLY have high hopes for. The music is fantastic. The art is bright and the animation fluid. We got a great into to the story as well as got the ball rolling.
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Oct 14, 2014 6:23 PM

Aug 2014
Very good episode. Min-Soo was very selfless to sacrifice her life just so hak and princess Yona could escape. This anime has potential to be a great series.
Oct 14, 2014 6:51 PM

Apr 2013
Love the episode
Still gets goosebumps from that opening
They did a wonderful job on pretty much all aspects that makes this show great
Can't wait for the next episode
Oct 14, 2014 7:23 PM
Oct 2014
When Yona said she came to talk to the king about Soo-won, he totally responded like it meant something to him! but he dashed his hopes as soon as he killed the king. Im excited to see Yona develop into a badass (:<
Oct 14, 2014 7:31 PM

Apr 2014
Badass ending was badass.
They just cleared an entire squad.
Innocent princess -> pissed off -> become badass -> revenge
Oct 14, 2014 7:36 PM
May 2013
Two episodes in, and I'm loving this show. Great ending for this episode in particular.
Oct 14, 2014 7:45 PM

Apr 2011
Hak = Lancer lol
Oct 14, 2014 8:05 PM

Jun 2013
Really nice episode! Generally not a big fan of these types of shows, but this has a lot of potential :)
Oct 14, 2014 8:29 PM

Sep 2014
This series have been a pleasent surprise so far. That flashforward got me all giddy from seeing the developed, strong warrior in Yuna and her new allies. Considering this is a two-cour series, I'm hoping they properly build up the tension to that point in the story. Otherwise, this flashforward may ruin it. So far, I'm enjoying it. Looking forward to the next episode!

[/center]
Oct 14, 2014 8:40 PM
Nov 2011
damn it when is she gonna cut her hair short i cant wait. I reallyyy like whats going on so far amazing. still can't wait till her character develops into the awesomeness i'm predicating.

Anyone know how old Hak is?
and yep soo-won seems like a good guy deep inside, notice his reaction when yona said something about her disappointment or smth at her dead dad scene?
Harima_RayOct 14, 2014 8:43 PM
Oct 14, 2014 9:03 PM

Jul 2014
Hak reminds me of Mugen from Samurai Champloo, which I loved!
Oct 14, 2014 9:09 PM

May 2010
The setting and art of this anime is just so pretty!

Kinda upset that one servant guy died...I kinda thought he was gonna make it :(
Oct 14, 2014 9:19 PM

Nov 2011
I wish they weren't being so blatantly obvious with Yona's future development. I would rather watch her develop gradually without knowing the end result. Plus, seeing her alive there kills any tension a life threatening situation might otherwise bring.

At least the preview confirmed there wouldn't be a time skip.

That aside, it was a pretty good episode. Save for one nitpick (with the pressure Hak's using, that should cut Soo-Won's hand), the fighting choreography was really good. Min-Soo's sacrifice didn't seem contrived either. Of course, Yona is still struggling from the shock...

I'm particularly curious what the next episode will bring.

Edit:
NwAurion said:
Badass at start: That's a no go. Especially given that s/he can hardly develop
So make 'em weak: "another whiny ****/spoiled kid".
So show some development: "whats with that future scenes?"

I would rather have one of the first two than this. Assuming there won't be any character development from the start is a bit much, even in the first case.
TripleSRankOct 14, 2014 9:31 PM
Oct 14, 2014 9:24 PM

Aug 2013
Another great episode. The last minute before the ED played was like watching Dynasty Warriors haha.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Oct 14, 2014 10:09 PM
May 2014
scruffykiwi said:
One of my favorite shows of all time Nana used this technique of flash forward really effectively. If it's done correctly then there doesn't have to be any reduction in tension.

A bit OT, but did you notice how Hachi talks at the beginning and/or end of the episodes?
She (almost) always talk like Nana isn't around anymore, iow like she's telling the story of their past.
As the episodes goes, that part becomes more and more obvious.

Btw, love this series, although I don't really like the timeskip scenes (40-50 chapter ahead).
Have faith in the Lord Fifth, gain eternal life! When the Lord Fifth appears, who dares to cause strife!
-- Lord fifth
Oct 14, 2014 10:14 PM
Jun 2014
This anime amazes me so far.
One of my favorites of the season.
It seems like the episode flew by so fast!
Only the second ep and I'm in love wit Son Hak cx
He's so coool~
Poor Min-soo sacrificing himself like that ;^;
What an honorable guy.

That little teaser of the future at the end held me at the edge of my seat!
I can't wait to watch what an awesome team they would make.
Again, I can't wait for the next ep! <3
Oct 14, 2014 10:23 PM
Jul 2014
RIP Min-Soo.
I suspect a conspiracy with some other officials that caused the brother to be killed. I actually like the way they're giving glimpses of the future while explaining the events in between.
Good episode.
Oct 14, 2014 10:27 PM

Oct 2013
Son-Hak is such a badass and I totally like that. I can't wait to see Yona's development in the upcoming episodes.
Oct 14, 2014 10:41 PM
Nov 2013
Did King Il really kill Soo-Won's father? That's kind of really shocking.

I feel for Yona, I really do. One moment you're living the life and next it's all taken away. It's good to know she's going to become a bad ass. Hak was especially cool, he even comforted Yona. God they better fall in love.

Really loved the episode. The music is perfect and while the animation may not be up to par, the story is very good. This has a lot of potential to become one of my favorites.
Oct 14, 2014 10:50 PM

Dec 2013
That actually wasn't too bad. I'm no great discerner of quality animation but that fight scene seemed quite well done to me. There were a couple things that bothered me though. Yona's "I only wanted to see him smile" bit got repetitive/annoying fast. I know she was in love with him, but some genuine anger after watching your father get run-through was very needed here. Second was SW's willingness to duel a general as dangerous as Hak after having just stolen the throne. They haven't established a solid enough rivalry to justify such a suicidal action, esp when Hak was outnumbered with Yona held hostage.

Nice poignant moment between the two at the end. They've already had more physical contact than most school romances LOL! Ost isn't Iwasaki or anything, but it's definitely complementing each scene rather well.

I didn't have a problem with the flash forward, but the super natural component and the usual "leveling up" that accompanies it could be a major turn off, we'll see. I'd much rather watch a desperate/organic tale of survival. Only other nit-pick would be the relative ease by which they made it out of the compound. SW has loyal followers but he can't afford to have two high profiles on the loose, so his apathy was a little bewildering.
DouluoOct 15, 2014 12:02 AM
Oct 14, 2014 10:54 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Harima_Ray said:

Anyone know how old Hak is?

If you haven't looked at his MAL page yet, Hak is 18 years old :)
Oct 15, 2014 12:39 AM

Jul 2014
Nice episode. Though they shouldn't have showed the last scenes, that kinda killed my expectations for Yona. It will be just fine if they just keep it on narration... oh well.
Oct 15, 2014 1:13 AM

Aug 2013
I had enough of crybaby princess..
Give me my badass princess!
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2015

374 by perseii »»
Apr 8, 10:45 PM

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2014

138 by Seraschi »»
Apr 6, 1:42 PM

Poll: » should i keep watching????

Tamar5858 - Jul 31, 2022

20 by BiobulletM »»
Apr 3, 2:21 PM

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Feb 17, 2015

146 by nyaasar »»
Mar 21, 1:00 PM

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 17, 2015

148 by WolfWood37 »»
Feb 9, 1:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.