Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) Episode 1 Discussion


#1
Oct 11, 2014 8:50 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 113539
[b]THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION THREAD. DO NOT DISCUSS THE VISUAL NOVEL BEYOND THIS EPISODE.

- If you want to discuss (future) events in the VN or Fate/Zero, compare the anime with the VN or Fate/Zero etc. please use a separate thread. This thread is only about this episode / this anime.
- Do not spam in this thread. This isn't a chat thread or your twitter.
- Do not ask where to watch this episode or post links to the episode.
- Trolling/baiting will not be tolerated.


For more information see also the Anime Series Episode Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.[/b]

----------------------------------------
Damn, the OP song is amazing.

We get Shiro from his point of view so more school screen time. Not a big fan of Shinji but he's amusing to watch. Sakura also makes her appearance. I find her voice decent and fits well.

>HEY
And stabbed. Good overall animation quality again thanks to Ufotable. Really liked the choice of the OST they used during Shiro's fight with Lancer.
Modified by Luna, Oct 11, 2014 9:10 AM
 
#2
Oct 11, 2014 8:52 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 740
11/10 it was okay
~IGN

OP has too much Saber imo.
Dat Gay Bulge.
Based Kalafina is based. That ED. (Admittedly, it sounds too much like Aldnoah's OP)

Modified by Kuremisago, Oct 11, 2014 9:00 AM



 
#3
Oct 11, 2014 8:53 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 23708
If they keep skipping Shirou inner monologues, this will face same problems as nonexistent DEEN-Anime. They added JUST ENOUGH but not much of his inner insight about how he became the way he is(which already makes him way more developed than his non-canon DEEN-FSN portrayal), but They did not manage to portray the Shirou/Lancer encounter correctly(instead of calculated chess battle where shirou plans two/three steps ahead to reach the shed, its simply running/getting kicked -__-).

Hopefully they do not skimp out on the rest of his character growth, tho. And the lore infodumps to come


Gae Bolg looked correct though as described.

Its one case where I could have dealt with less of school life moments if that meant we get correct insights into Shirou mind during that fight.

Kalafina ed is pretty much heavenly blue copy-pasta, meh. The OP was fantastic though.

Overall it suffers similar problems as Miura's work on KnK - way too much focus on slice of life moments, not enough focus on inner monologues and lore insights.


4/5
Modified by Ahenshihael, Oct 11, 2014 8:58 AM
 
#4
Oct 11, 2014 8:55 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1932
Ufotable delivers.

Modified by Hyack, Oct 11, 2014 9:54 AM
 
#5
Oct 11, 2014 8:57 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 27602
Back to that guy as the main character? It looks like the original Fate/stay night TV series to me for the most part. Wow, I forgot that Kamiya-san's character was that hateful in Fate. And was his fault that the main guy stayed late and got killed, as was shown in Prologue. It connected to end of Prologue at the end.

Kalafina ED!! I've been waiting for it. The song and PV are so cool like the totkuten postercard images!

Back to 30 min. ep. starting next week. I cannot wait to see how different is this TV series.
Modified by tsubasalover, Oct 11, 2014 4:20 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
 
#6
Oct 11, 2014 8:57 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 259
surprised that TM could use their money on 2 x 1hour episode.

Mod Edit: Removed unnecessary comment.
Modified by Tyrel, Oct 11, 2014 11:26 AM
Psst...
Hey, You use Windows 10? Great!
Wanna try Cafeine to simplify accessing your collections, or even your "collections"? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
No no no, you won't find it in the market, or even a store, no.

Try it first before others gotta get it publicly sooner or later!

Thank you.
 
#7
Oct 11, 2014 8:57 AM
SHSL Sugar Daddy

Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1745
Kalafina's ED is amazing as always!

I'll have to rewatch to pay more attention to the details and watch it in HD animation.
 
#8
Oct 11, 2014 8:58 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 4634
CookingPriest said:
If they keep skipping Shirou inner monologues, this will face same problems as nonexistent DEEN-Anime. They added JUST ENOUGH but not much of his inner insight about how he became the way he is(which already makes him way more developed than his non-canon DEEN-FSN portrayal), but They did not manage to portray the Shirou/Lancer encounter correctly(instead of calculated chess battle where shirou plans two/three steps ahead to reach the shed, its simply running/getting kicked -__-).

Gae Bolg looked correct though as described.

Its one case where I could have dealt with less of school life moments if that meant we get correct insights into Shirou mind during that fight.

Kalafina ed is pretty much heavenly blue copy-pasta, meh.

Overall it suffers similar problems as Miura's work on KnK - way too much focus on slice of life moments, not enough focus on inner monologues and lore insights.


4/5


You are expecting too much insight into his character in just the first episode.

His character is shown through the whole UBW route, not just 1 episode...
 
#9
Oct 11, 2014 9:00 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 8970
Dat seibah!! :DDD
Can't wait to re-watch in better quality :DD
The sun is a deadly laser
 
Oct 11, 2014 9:01 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 1094
Hmm, I'll have to agree with CookingPriest here about how it handles Shirou, but I'm sure that his characterization will improve over the next several episodes. Though I guess I'm afraid that this first episode is only going to encourage the behaviour of all the secondaries who are gonna scream 'dammit that ginger kid is still the protag and not Rin?!' and 'what is this hero idiot doing in my intelligent anime?' and other such things.

Oh well.

Still, overall, everything was absolutely epic as to be expected from the sweet and wonderful Based Ufotable =D


 
Oct 11, 2014 9:03 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 4634
CookingPriest said:


And if Miura handles it this way, we litterally won't see it. Again.


They showed some of his monologues to give us some insights into his character already. This is not the VN so they obviously can't show all his inner thought. But I'm sure they will show important ones.

You are hard to please...
 
Oct 11, 2014 9:06 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 4634
CookingPriest said:


I could honestly do without one Taiga or Sakura scenes(since they do not matter), so that time would be used to give that insight

And I am quite forgiving. However there ARE the keypoints THEY HAVE to hit correctly or this will be shit.


And we haven't reached such key point yet...
 
Oct 11, 2014 9:06 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 23708
chickenonthepan said:
CookingPriest said:


I could honestly do without one Taiga or Sakura scenes(since they do not matter), so that time would be used to give that insight

And I am quite forgiving. However there ARE the keypoints THEY HAVE to hit correctly or this will be shit.


And we haven't reached such key point yet...


Lancer encounter is THE first major establishment of how Shirou's mind works during battle. Its the FIRST IMPRESSION. and first impressions are most important.

As I said, I hold out hope they won't mess up too bad, but thats not much of a hope.

I had to suffer through 20+ episodes of non-existent atrocity that took its time to slander and misrepresent main character as much as possible, spawning bunch of the most brain-cell-killing memes possible, well forgive me for being cautious out of fear of being burned twice.

Mod Edit: Removed unnecessary comment.
Modified by Tyrel, Oct 11, 2014 11:27 AM
 
Oct 11, 2014 9:08 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 3817
DAT GAE BOLG
 
Oct 11, 2014 9:09 AM
WatchGiantRobo

Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 6632
The Priests already telling people to stop watching this for saying anything that may seem remotely bad about this series.

Edit: Sakura's voice pretty annoying imo,especially whenever she says "Senpai."

"I'm so glad I found you...By rescuing one person,I was saved." Still prefer Emiya over Shirou as protagonist anyday.

Saber vs Lancer was "interestinger" per say over Archer vs Lancer's fight.

GAE BOLG=GODLY ANIMATED=BASED UFOTABLE

Thought the OP was great too.

Decent episode overall.
Modified by VanishingKira, Oct 11, 2014 8:27 PM

 
Oct 11, 2014 9:10 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 21772
CookingPriest said:
MercifulPriest said:
Hmm, I'll have to agree with CookingPriest here about how it handles Shirou, but I'm sure that his characterization will improve over the next several episodes. Though I guess I'm afraid that this first episode is only going to encourage the behaviour of all the secondaries who are gonna scream 'dammit that ginger kid is still the protag and not Rin?!' and 'what is this hero idiot doing in my intelligent anime?' and other such things.

Oh well.

Still, overall, everything was absolutely epic as to be expected from the sweet and wonderful Based Ufotable =D


Well to b e honest at least thei delved A BIT into his trauma/ptsd and why he thinks the way he thinks this time. Way more than DEEN-FSN did.



Misrepresenting the lancer encounter though won't do that well for his badassery.

I can already see secondaries/bloggers/troll go "Omg tohsaka so refined and quick thinking, this dude so slow and dumb~"

Eitherway, the ED seems to imply we will get him talking to Saber scenes, so maybe they will infodump the monologues that way, since Miura seems to HATE portraying what characters think.

chickenonthepan said:


They showed some of his monologues to give us some insights into his character already. This is not the VN so they obviously can't show all his inner thought. But I'm sure they will show important ones.

You are hard to please...


I could honestly do without one Taiga or Sakura scenes(since they do not matter), so that time would be used to give that insight

And I am quite forgiving. However there ARE the keypoints THEY HAVE to hit correctly or this will be shit.
Calm down. They said everything important will be in the adaptation. This is too early to flip out -__-

Episode was great, still faithful to the VN and dat OST. OP is cool too.
 
Oct 11, 2014 9:11 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 16140
Yeah, I love how you can't criticize anything about Fate/ without a priest preaching about the VN. -___-

I'm hyped for this episode though, just waiting for a 720p release.
 
Oct 11, 2014 9:11 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 7317
stAtic91 said:
DAT GAE BOLG


Haha that comment+avatar

I'm so mature i could be an episode of Psycho-pass.
 
Oct 11, 2014 9:14 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 21772
CookingPriest said:
BotatoPriest said:
Calm down. They said everything important will be in the adaptation. This is too early to flip out -__-


Excuse me if after KNK6 I take Miura's world with a graina truckload of salt.
There's still

Just be patient -.-
 
Oct 11, 2014 9:16 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 23708
BotatoPriest said:
CookingPriest said:


Excuse me if after KNK6 I take Miura's world with a graina truckload of salt.
There's still

Just be patient -.-


I am patient. I am just disappointed with an aspect of otherwise very good episode.

AT least they did not mess up Gay Bulge and made it consistent with
 
Oct 11, 2014 9:19 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 4634
BotatoPriest said:
CookingPriest said:


Excuse me if after KNK6 I take Miura's world with a graina truckload of salt.
There's still

Just be patient -.-


He has his moments throughout the route actually...

They don't hesitate to show monologues in both episode 0 and 1. Just they don't see what Fai sees as equally important.

His inner character is portrayed initially correct already. One fight without monologues proves nothing and can't ruin his character. He has a whole series ahead. I won't put too much weight on Lancer encounter.
 
Oct 11, 2014 9:20 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 21772
chickenonthepan said:
BotatoPriest said:
There's still

Just be patient -.-


He has his moments throughout the route actually...

They don't hesitate to show monologues in both episode 0 and 1. Just they don't see what Fai sees as equally important.

His inner character is portrayed initially correct already. One fight without monologues proves nothing and can't ruin his character. He has a whole series ahead. I won't put too much weight on Lancer encounter.
I meant as in moments early on to establish his character, not moments that develop him.
 
Oct 11, 2014 9:29 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 8970
CP, why so butthurt? Bask in the Kings glory :DDDD Dat OP!! Can't stop re-watching :DDDD
The sun is a deadly laser
 
Oct 11, 2014 9:31 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 21772
CookingPriest said:
ALso what I did not like about the OP(more like it infuriated me)was that
 
Oct 11, 2014 9:31 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 6843
This forum is so negative...
 
Oct 11, 2014 9:31 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 253
CookingPriest said:
chickenonthepan said:

His inner character is portrayed initially correct already. One fight without monologues proves nothing and can't ruin his character. He has a whole series ahead.


It does give wrong first impression(especially after they portrayed Tohsaka encounter so perfectly). And first impressions are everything(look at the hatred SAO is garnering just because its first season misrepresented characters, despite the fact that S2 does not misrepresent them). I can only hope they will portray it correctly latter on.

It just doe snot make sense for me on why Miura would dedicate time to portray entirety of his daily life, yet decide to save time on the crucial moment of his prologue characterization. Its just a very bad sign for me, that's all, that sours otherwise perfect episode.


ALso what I did not like about the OP(more like it infuriated me)was that


 
Oct 11, 2014 9:32 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 8090
CookingPriest said:
mirakura said:
CP, why so butthurt? Bask in the Kings glory :DDDD Dat OP!! Can't stop re-watching :DDDD

Enjoy because that's all you will get of fate route ever.

If we have luck.
 
Oct 11, 2014 9:33 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 8970
CookingPriest said:
mirakura said:
CP, why so butthurt? Bask in the Kings glory :DDDD Dat OP!! Can't stop re-watching :DDDD

Enjoy because that's all you will get of fate route ever.


Actually, not my point.
The sun is a deadly laser
 
Oct 11, 2014 9:35 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 21772
CookingPriest said:
mirakura said:
CP, why so butthurt? Bask in the Kings glory :DDDD Dat OP!! Can't stop re-watching :DDDD

Enjoy because that's all you will get of fate route ever.
> Saber route
> Saber is a cashcow

Yeah I doubt we're never getting Fate ever. If so then prepare yourself for 5 episodes of filler Saber moe moments.
 
Oct 11, 2014 9:38 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 1256
I'm glad Fukasawa Hideyuki does the soundtrack but I don't like the OP or the ED. Lately all Kalafina songs just sound the same. Also too much Seiba. This must be Takeuchi's work.
All those HA camoes. Maybe we can expect something in the near future?



Overall a decent episode with gay bulge definitely being the highlight, although they did cut out a big chunk of Shirou's inner monologues. Let's have faith in ufotable.
 
Oct 11, 2014 9:39 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 8970
>Lots of Seiba -->People get butthurt -->My YUETSU~
The sun is a deadly laser
 
Oct 11, 2014 9:40 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 6843
I guess they do SoL aspects early on to focus on the actually story-relevant aspects from EP2 on, so there are not too big differences between the 2 cours.

At least I hope so...
 
Oct 11, 2014 9:42 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 4634
CookingPriest said:


ALso what I did not like about the OP(more like it infuriated me)was that


One word: Bait.
 
Oct 11, 2014 9:44 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 1792
Where did Shirou's blood go after he was revived lol
 
Oct 11, 2014 9:44 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 8970
chickenonthepan said:
CookingPriest said:


ALso what I did not like about the OP(more like it infuriated me)was that


One word: Bait.


Lol, bait for wat? :DD
The sun is a deadly laser
 
Oct 11, 2014 9:45 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 4634
mirakura said:
chickenonthepan said:


One word: Bait.


Lol, bait for wat? :DD


I think you are smart enough to understand what I mean.
 
Oct 11, 2014 9:45 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 740
Nasu is one of us.

OceAnh said:





Modified by Tyrel, Oct 11, 2014 11:46 AM



 
Oct 11, 2014 9:46 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 199
Here's the link tot the OP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIEGkqCeWx4

Watch it before it will get deleted from copyrights.
 
Oct 11, 2014 9:55 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 16140
exleader75 said:
Here's the link tot the OP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIEGkqCeWx4

Watch it before it will get deleted from copyrights.


That Saber in the end is too cute. :3

I also really like the song.
 
Oct 11, 2014 9:56 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 4634
mirakura said:

You should know I'm lol'ing at how you didn't notice this till now XDD



Kojirou looks like a total badass lol.

I like that samurai so much.
 
Oct 11, 2014 9:58 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 6843
Didn't see the episode yet, but in 1 video I heard something that reminded me of Kawai Kenji...

CookingPriest said:
I do have a problem that Miura had all male servants do the exact same one-eye smirk. Strange decision.


Like headtilt in Shaft series.
 
Oct 11, 2014 9:59 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 21772
chickenonthepan said:
mirakura said:

You should know I'm lol'ing at how you didn't notice this till now XDD



Kojirou looks like a total badass lol.

I like that samurai so much.
Because he's a freaking beast
 
Oct 11, 2014 10:00 AM
something here

Offline
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 10802
exleader75 said:
Here's the link tot the OP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIEGkqCeWx4

Watch it before it will get deleted from copyrights.

Damn, those visuals look amazing, can't wait to see the actual fights.
CookingPriest said:
chickenonthepan said:


Kojirou looks like a total badass lol.

I like that samurai so much.


I do have a problem that Miura had all male servants do the exact same one-eye smirk. Strange decision.

Well...except basakah.
 
Oct 11, 2014 10:01 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 23708
InsertPriestHere said:

Well...except basakah.


J-j-just you wait X_X

AS for OP
 
Oct 11, 2014 10:04 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 23708
BotatoPriest said:
Yeah I really want to know how the hell that shit goes down O.o

Anyway, point is Mr. Samurai is awesome.


 
Oct 11, 2014 10:04 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 8970
Gae Bolg :DDD

The sun is a deadly laser
 
Oct 11, 2014 10:06 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 21772
CookingPriest said:
BotatoPriest said:
Yeah I really want to know how the hell that shit goes down O.o

Anyway, point is Mr. Samurai is awesome.


If the striked part happens then you can be sure Ufo screwed up big lol.
 
Oct 11, 2014 10:07 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 23708
mirakura said:
Gae Bolg :DDD



In comparison certain other related NP:


 
Oct 11, 2014 10:10 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 4634
mirakura said:
Gae Bolg :DDD



Well, it looks freaking powerful... More than just a glowing lance thrush.

You have anything to complain?
 
Oct 11, 2014 10:14 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 3817
ufotable is shit.

This is what Gae Bolg should look like:

 
Top
Pages (25) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »