Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 7, 2008 3:22 AM
Oct 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Good to see some more fighting.

Funny how defeating some monster robot thing is a simple stab to the eye.
Jun 10, 2008 6:46 PM
Oct 2007
3rd ep and im at the edge of my seat..

uhh
Aug 5, 2008 1:32 PM

Jun 2007
so their weak point is their sphere-like thing..

i must say, the evangelion having a high ranking isn't any mistake.
Sep 22, 2008 11:41 AM

Jun 2008
man its really boring and so slow
Oct 6, 2008 10:48 PM

Jan 2008
Great episode with some great action :3
Mar 28, 2009 6:30 PM

Nov 2008
Ummm...
Bueno, honestly, the warriorlike screams of "I'm not gonna run away/lose~!" from Shinji really saves the episode.
Why would you tell them you're the pilot? Didn't they teach him anything???
So far it's too early to tell whether I like it or not...
Jun 12, 2009 12:02 AM

Apr 2008
This was one of my two favorite episodes thus far. I love the episodes that really delve into the psychology of the characters most of all. Some beautiful animation here as well. The "cinematography" was wonderful in this episode.
Jul 2, 2009 12:44 PM

Jul 2009
Great synchronization between the action and the emotions of Shinji. That kids messed up. o.o
Aug 20, 2009 11:31 PM

Jun 2009
aero said:
aero said:

This.. the cool thing about eva so far is it seems to be much more about the characters than the action. The screaming that Shinji did, spoke alot about his character.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 8, 2009 1:02 PM

Feb 2009
Holy crap, this series is going to be intense, when EVA jumped at the angel in Berserk mode with Shinji screaming like mad really took me by surprise, gave me freakin goosebumps.

So far it had great action scenes, but what Im liking is how the story is really about the characters.

Only gripe I had with the episode was the weird almost cartoonish design of the the 4th angel. The angel in the first episode was so much more menacing looking.
Nov 28, 2009 7:06 PM

Oct 2009
lol wtf was that, a Swiss army knife? o_O

I liked the psychotic take on the ol' Amuro scream though.
JuicyBuddhaNov 28, 2009 7:09 PM
Nov 30, 2009 9:54 PM

Apr 2009
Why the hell was Shinji crying after he killed the Angel? What a f***ing puss. Good to see the other kid with the injured sister coming around though. I didn't want to have to deal with a conflicting douche this early in the series.
Dec 28, 2009 9:03 AM
May 2008
Good episode, and I'm liking the characters, they have a since of realism in their emotions. Anyone that doesn't like their "human" emotions obviusly watches too much shounen "Me save duh world, and canz fliz" bs.
Dead Account
Please Delete
May 14, 2010 8:10 PM

Aug 2008
I guess Shinji had no one around in his life to tell him that being honest about certain things is generally very dumb. Telling classmates you are Eva pilot=dumb.
Jun 6, 2010 4:46 AM

Feb 2008
Bloody hell, when Shinji was screaming I actually winced.
The_Lieutenant said:
Great synchronization between the action and the emotions of Shinji. That kids messed up. o.o
Jun 12, 2010 4:24 PM

May 2008
Not usually a mecha fan, but this episode was the best so far.
Jul 23, 2010 1:00 PM

May 2008
Quite intense episode, Shinji screaming like hell was insane~
Jul 28, 2010 11:19 AM

Jan 2010
So far I love how they capture the emotions of a confused, young boy thrown into a battlefield.
Aug 19, 2010 5:53 PM

Aug 2009
Just give it time and Shinji will become the most badass Evangelion pilot out there. He's taken by suprise since it's the first time he's been into this. Give him time and he'll kick those Angel's butt with an ease. Heck I didn't even expect him to go rampage on this Angel. Kinda caught me offguard. I guess he was trying to impress those students in the "cockpit".

I wonder when will the other pilots show up. So far it's only been Shinji. I want to see some cooperation between the other pilots aswell!
Sep 17, 2010 3:34 PM

Sep 2009
If by "savior", you mean "loser who wimps out when he's needed most".
Oct 5, 2010 1:15 AM
Jul 2010
Raian-kun said:
This was one of my two favorite episodes thus far. I love the episodes that really delve into the psychology of the characters most of all. Some beautiful animation here as well. The "cinematography" was wonderful in this episode.
cantius said:
Drgentile777 said:
Why the hell was Shinji crying after he killed the Angel? What a f***ing puss. Good to see the other kid with the injured sister coming around though. I didn't want to have to deal with a conflicting douche this early in the series.

Dude...
He is basically humanity's last hope and savior. He bears the weight of every human fucking being on his shoulders. Now tell me, how can he not cry in such a psychological situation?

All said. No need for me to say anything else except that I'd like to see a little more of the other pilots.
Oh, and also, the dubbed version sucks badly but that's not a big deal because the original is so much better.
Nov 7, 2010 7:57 PM

Dec 2009
great episode. Loved the mecha action.

I just wish Shinji didn't as scream as much as he did
Nov 7, 2010 8:51 PM

Jun 2009
@Dusk

Just so you know the dub does improve further into the series. But, yeah the Japanese version is better acted.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 11, 2010 1:16 PM

Jul 2010
Man, Shinji sure loves to scream, but then again that really is understandable given he's a 14 year old kid, thrust into such a nerve wracking situation. In that way he's quite a believable character at the moment, and it definitely seems like he could have a mental breakdown at any given moment. On top of that, there's been great action, even if the animation seems a bit old.

Overall I'm definitely liking this anime so far. Lots of intrigue with regards to the plot and characters with lots of room for development. So at the moment, I'm anticipating a nice explanation for the berserking mech (does it have a conscience of its own...?), and plenty more on Rei.

And when the hell's Asuka's gonna be introduced >.< ?
Feb 9, 2011 2:40 PM

Aug 2010
Black_Jack said:

He actually disobeyed a direct order to retreat and instead he charged at the enemy with a knife and killed it. I'm not sure what you mean by "wimps out".
Feb 13, 2011 10:29 PM

Sep 2009
Black_Jack said:

Clearly we are watching different shows.

Or the subs you're watching are so fucked up that whoever you think Shinji is isn't the character.
I'm all for differing opinions and all.

But some things are plain facts. He totally wimped out when he agreed to pilot the Eva the first time. TOTALLY wimped out when he agreed to continually pilot the Eva for training.
And he was a giant friggen wimp when he charged the enemy instead of making a tactical retreat. That could be considered stupid and, but definitely not wimpy.

===

I'm much preferring the dub over the subs here. The screaming just annoys me. It feels slightly forced or staged. The dubs screaming feels more real to me.

===

I'm loving the way this shows art direction is going as well. In a conversation that was 100% dialog driven we see objects instead of characters speaking.

Shinji's own metal problems are really shining through here. Enjoyable.
Mar 28, 2011 5:22 AM

Oct 2008
o_o
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Apr 3, 2011 4:15 PM
Mar 2011
cantius said:
Drgentile777 said:

Dude...
He is basically humanity's last hope and savior. He bears the weight of every human fucking being on his shoulders. Now tell me, how can he not cry in such a psychological situation?

I see what you mean BUT some people, when put in that situation you described so intensely, would step up with a killer instinct and become proud of saving humanity for the second time (so far). But I can see where Sinji supporters are coming from. I personally wouldn't be crying in his position.
Aug 2, 2011 10:53 AM

Dec 2010
How can I put it in words... this anime has so much annoying points that I just can't wait to watch more episodes to get more of it. Shinji... well even if I want to blame him for being puss I wont do it considering he has too much responsibility on his shoulders and it's really hard to do it. Getting more sight on Rei, but still not enough.
Aug 15, 2011 10:15 AM
May 2011
Yup... he's going mad.
Nov 4, 2011 7:18 AM

Jul 2009
YES! He's going to be court martialed for disobeying orders!

No? O_o

Owww....

If NERV was looking for a kid who can fight, why didn't the brought some 9 years old from Africa, since they're often conscripted into guerrilla units? At least they're mentally stable.

Or some pros from SAS/SFOD-D/SPETSNAZ/etc? What? We're playing "only the chosen ones can pilot it" BS? Great...

BTW - humanity couldn't invent some kind of mass produced anti-angel weapons/machines in 15 years? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL! Now you can wonder how could Germans develop panzerfaust in just ONE year or V1 in 2-3 years :D
Nov 21, 2011 4:59 PM

Mar 2010
I like episodes like this in any series. It shows some kind of emotional output from the characters and give them some kind of self-justification. Especially in this case, where Shinji went berserk in the cockpit. It gives me the chills every time, and I love it! But the key thing in this series is that the creator of this series had psychological issues prior to making this series, which ultimately leads the series to shine in it's psychological aspect. Looking forward to the next!
Mar 22, 2012 6:22 PM
Jul 2018
Dunno about you but I'm liking Shnji's character, looking forward to see how he develops
Apr 16, 2012 1:59 AM
Jan 2010
NeloDeath said:
Good episode, and I'm liking the characters, they have a since of realism in their emotions. Anyone that doesn't like their "human" emotions obviusly watches too much shounen "Me save duh world, and canz fliz" bs.

LMFAO! This made my day. lol omg you too funny bro.
May 11, 2012 10:12 AM

Mar 2011
This was a pretty good episode. The fighting was pretty cool. The yelling got a little intense. There was a minute straight of Shinji yelling.

Jul 20, 2012 2:56 PM

Jan 2012
NeloDeath said:

LMAO. THIS. ▲
Dec 9, 2012 5:22 AM

May 2012
Great battle and action, the class scene was also quite funny :p
Dec 9, 2012 1:02 PM

May 2012
Shinji's fucking insane! Even though he could snap at any moment yet they let him pilot this billion dollar robot? PLOTHOLE!

Seriously though, this was a great episode, that shows what extreme pressure can do to a kid.

Shinji is not like other shounen heroes. He's not particular strong or smart, but what he does have is pent up rage and fighting spirit, i guess?

I do think that monster was very goofy looking, like something out of Power Rangers.
who_dat_ninjaDec 9, 2012 1:05 PM
Jan 19, 2013 9:46 PM

Feb 2012
Thoughts from Episode 03.

Wow this episode was just so great I can know actually understand why this anime is so popular. Because all this psychological events Shinji's actions that he really is the mankind last hope to survive it's just amazing and pretty sure everyone who piloted something like that would do same thing that Shinji did.

I was kind of freaking out looked like Shinji was some kind of trance like hypnotized when he was in the Eva. Those red and blue effect was cool also.

So Shinji transferred some school and looks like he had this "Hedgehog's Dilemma" which basically meant he wasn't sure how to make friends and were afraid of them. And he actually did harm some of his friends basically when he couldn't protect that guy's sister. So he couldn't communicate or connect with others. But no wonder why Shinji got friends already of course all the kids would befriend with him after hearing he was the one who piloted Eva-01 . Although I can understand also why that guy punched Shinji because it was his fault that guy's sister got hit.

Another defination we got were "Second Impact" This show that world wasn't doing so well either 20th Centuary when the angels wasn't arrived on the earth yet. But falling meteor and Ice Antarctica. and it all messed up world like unknown weather changes that could harm lively things. And hallf people got run by it.

Haha that class is surely specialized using computers haha. Well the year is 2015 in this anime that's why technology is going so much improvements.

Now he's anger and going berserk not following rules. Maybe that has something to do with his father he was so angry that his father ordered him to pilot Eva so that's why he attacked that 4th Angel in berserk mode. But those screams they just felt so real and Shinji is developing nicely here too. Well now we also know that angel has weakpoint too that round circle sphere looking thing. Also these Angels has different powers. First angel had AT Field. This "4th Angel had some kind of electric whip and he looked like bug.
MixxuJan 19, 2013 9:49 PM
Feb 24, 2013 1:09 AM

Jan 2013
Good, dub kinda sucks though
Apr 5, 2013 11:35 PM
Jul 2018
the music in this show is pretty good.
Apr 11, 2013 8:10 AM
Oct 2011
Am I the only one who noticed that both the 22nd impact and the angel's first appearence occured 15 years ago? Hmm...
Apr 14, 2013 4:49 PM

Mar 2012
Loved this episode but i have a feeling it's just gonna get even better from now on :D
Apr 21, 2013 11:02 PM
Feb 2011
Ha, I just had to rewatch Shinji screaming in the dubbed version. Seriously it's pathetically hilarious. On the other hand, good episode. Can't wait to see more of Rei.
Apr 23, 2013 5:38 AM
Jul 2018

Shinji is mentally stressed again.
Apr 27, 2013 9:38 AM

Mar 2013
The show is getting more interesting.
That's good because I thought the first couple episodes jumped right into the action without explaining anything. Shinji just jumps into the eva and starts killing things. Whaaaat. Why?

3nvy said:
that eoten be eatin the pizza pi

Does anybody know a way that a body could get away?
May 17, 2013 12:39 AM

Jul 2012
3 deep now, still not sure what to think. Wasn't exciting or boring.
Jun 26, 2013 8:37 PM

Dec 2012
This is great. People who are crying about Shinji can go back to their normal shounen
Jul 3, 2013 3:32 PM

Nov 2011
The art is beautiful. :)

Euh, Shinji's just a boy turned out to fight horrible monsters all alone. I'm glad his unit is protective of him.

So far, this series is pretty good. I wonder what causes all the "overrated" conflict surrounding this series.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

286 by ToTheGyz »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

173 by kermitpoke »»
9 hours ago

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

71 by SodaPopFrequency »»
Today, 12:18 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

342 by ToTheGyz »»
Yesterday, 6:13 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

197 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 22, 4:28 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.