Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Dec 22, 2015 2:58 PM

If you aren't going to read the VN then don't bother to watch any of it

Dec 27, 2015 4:11 AM

Does this new Second Season of UBW changes anything in the order?

I don't want to read VN, i was thinking about see UBW, HF, F/Z.. but back then, there was no second season of UBW.. Should i change my view order?

Dec 27, 2015 6:50 AM
Gklys said:

I don't want to read VN, i was thinking about see UBW, HF, F/Z.. but back then, there was no second season of UBW.. Should i change my view order?

It's rather just the second half than a second "season". If you want to stick to your order, you'll probably have to wait quite a long time to watch F/Z since the last official announcement about HF was before the UBW anime started airing.

Dec 27, 2015 7:00 AM

xcllnt said:
Gklys said:

It's rather just the second half than a second "season". If you want to stick to your order, you'll probably have to wait quite a long time to watch F/Z since the last official announcement about HF was before the UBW anime started airing.

Is there any other TV Series that can replace HF? And first of all, is HF worth to watch?

Dec 27, 2015 8:07 PM

Gklys said:
Is there any other TV Series that can replace HF? And first of all, is HF worth to watch?

Nope, and oh god yes.

Dec 27, 2015 8:13 PM

Gklys said:
Is there any other TV Series that can replace HF?

Nope. With the exception of Shirou, who is the protagonist of F/SN, the main characters of each route change. UBW has Rin and Archer. HF has Sakura, Ilya and Kirei, and Fate has Saber. Therefore, there is nothing than can replace HF. Maybe in the future, if another adaptation comes up, but not right now.

Gklys said:
And first of all, is HF worth to watch?

Of course, along with what I stated above, it answers almost all the questions left dangling by UBW, except those of Saber, whose route, Fate, won't be adapted.
Modified by VarunaBles, Dec 27, 2015 8:18 PM

Jan 3, 2016 5:24 AM

Gklys said:

Second Season of UBW only makes reading the VN more important since a lot of crucial information is skipped or altered in result making the story and the characters unclear.

The order itself does not change.
Modified by Ahenshihael, Jan 3, 2016 5:24 AM

Jan 17, 2016 2:37 PM
I just marathoned Fate/Zero and Unlimited Blade Works (in that order) for the first time on Netflix, and I enjoyed both immensely. Definitely in my top three favorite animes.

It never once even crossed my mind that they were "meant" to be viewed in reverse order. If anything, I felt like Fate/Zero helped make UBW more understandable since the former is more of a "standard rules setup" for how a Holy Grail war should go (with one servant of every class and one master per servant) while UBW really shook things up and broke a lot of the rules that I only knew were rules because of Fate/Zero. And hell, seeing how all the survivors of Fate/Zero turned out in UBW and understanding all the references was just super satisfying. The other way around would've been depressing...though I can see merit in a depressing ending, I'm still glad I saw it the way I did.

Also, as for F/Z spoiling UBW, I think the reverse is also true. For instance, watching UBW tells you everyone who survives to the end of F/Z, removing a big part of F/Z's suspense. Heck, the entire climax of UBW basically builds on the climax of F/Z, and if you've seen UBW first then none of what happens at the end of F/Z will surprise you.

Love it or hate it as an adaptation, I think Ufotable designed the F/Z and UBW anime with the idea that they would be watched in the order the animes themselves were produced, not in the order the source material was produced. Sort of like how Peter Jackson made the Hobbit trilogy with the idea that people had already watched the LotR trilogy.
Modified by Cheese_Sandwich, Jan 17, 2016 4:28 PM

Jan 28, 2016 6:22 PM

I really don't get how in the UBW anime, Shirou beats Gilgamesh. How the fuck does he deflect that many swords? It would have made sense if he used UBW to mirror GoB, but it sure doesn't look that way in the anime.

Also, should I read the UBW VN if I've seen the anime? I've already ready the fate route, and I feel like it's more worth my time to read HF.

Jan 29, 2016 12:55 AM

BasedErio said:
I really don't get how in the UBW anime, Shirou beats Gilgamesh. How the fuck does he deflect that many swords? It would have made sense if he used UBW to mirror GoB, but it sure doesn't look that way in the anime.

That's exactly what he does in the vn?
Most of the actual "fight" is Shirou simply pushing Gil back in melee by destroying any weapon Gil summons before he can even counter attack. Doing what he did in anime would and should get him killed in literal seconds.

Also, should I read the UBW VN if I've seen the anime? I've already ready the fate route, and I feel like it's more worth my time to read HF.

Yes.
UBW anime does not cover anything beyond the very basic overall "plot" of the route.

Jan 29, 2016 5:58 AM

Fai said:
BasedErio said:

That's exactly what he does in the vn?
Most of the actual "fight" is Shirou simply pushing Gil back in melee by destroying any weapon Gil summons before he can even counter attack. Doing what he did in anime would and should get him killed in literal seconds.

Yes.
UBW anime does not cover anything beyond the very basic overall "plot" of the route.

I know the same thing happens in VN, but I was talking about anime Shirou, and not VN Shirou; they're completely different characters.
So I take it the same thing doesn't happen in the VN?
Okay, I will play the VN then; thank you.

Feb 6, 2016 8:09 AM
BasedErio said:
So I take it the same thing doesn't happen in the VN?
Okay, I will play the VN then; thank you.

in the VN, Shirou just copies every weapon that comes out of GoB within seconds and uses them to counter Gilgamesh's weapons while closing the distance, the anime just made it more fancy imo.

Mar 1, 2016 3:51 AM

I'd like to add my comment to this discussion.
As someone who watched Fate/Zero first and does not regret it.

Yes, in the very first episode of Zero you are revealed a couple of things that are
from FSN but, if I watched FSN first I would have spoiled things from Zero too so.

If I didn't watch Zero first

So, knowing -the Rin thing- in the first episode of Zero is a fair trade for all the surprises I got in Zero that I wouldn't have had otherwise.

If you watch Zero first you spoil FSN, if you watch FSN first you spoil Zero. There's no escape, just enjoy it as it its. =)

Oh, either way you watch it, they gain re-watch value, so that's good if you ask me.
Cheese_Sandwich said:

Also, as for F/Z spoiling UBW, I think the reverse is also true. For instance, watching UBW tells you everyone who survives to the end of F/Z, removing a big part of F/Z's suspense. Heck, the entire climax of UBW basically builds on the climax of F/Z, and if you've seen UBW first then none of what happens at the end of F/Z will surprise you.

This guys gets it.
Modified by HumbertoZero, Mar 1, 2016 2:53 PM

[Softsubs > HardsubsFansubs > fast subsDarkmantis - @HumbertoZero]________________
How to read Fate/Strange Fake Light novel________________

Mar 2, 2016 10:49 AM

HDarkmantis said:

You don't have full story to know whether you regret it or not.

Yes, in the very first episode of Zero you are revealed a couple of things that are
from FSN but, if I watched FSN first I would have spoiled things from Zero too so.

And Zero is designed with the fact that you KNOW all of those things in mind, while FSN is designed with the idea of you NOT knowing them and wanting to discover them together with characters.

- Does not matter. Fate franchise is not a death game. Knowing they all are doomed from the start is part of the story since Zero is about a bunch of close minded people getting ruined by their own folly.
- Who wins the war does not matter. But you sure as hell know that now so that makes guessing who "wins" in FSN pointless since

- Again, does not matter?
- Which is kind of the point? Kiritsugu is nothing more than Shirou's motivation. And also now you know what happened to him before HF actually TELLS you, as a plot twist, what kind of horrible person Kerry was.

So, knowing -the Rin thing- in the first episode of Zero is a fair trade for all the surprises I got in Zero that I wouldn't have had otherwise.

Except that Rin thing was meant to be one of biggest twists in the story, while Zero's "surprises" are not meant to be surprises - most of them you can see a mile away.

If you watch Zero first you spoil FSN, if you watch FSN first you spoil Zero. There's no escape, just enjoy it as it its. =)

Except that FSN is designed in a way that it pretends you DO NOT know anything from Zero. The sole focus of FSN is about those characters slowly discovering the mysteries and horrible truths that formed their lives.
While Zero is written a an after-thought expansion bonus for FSN, with the intent of taking the major revelations you learn through FSN and putting them in order from start to finish.

Oh, either way you watch it, they gain re-watch value, so that's good if you ask me.

Watching/REading FSN first gives a watch value to Zero and then rewatch/reread value to FSN.
Watching Zero first leaves you confused while also ruining the first watch of FSN because you already know 99% of things the story wants to surprise you with.

Mar 2, 2016 2:37 PM

Fai said:
HDarkmantis said:

You don't have full story to know whether you regret it or not.

And Zero is designed with the fact that you KNOW all of those things in mind, while FSN is designed with the idea of you NOT knowing them and wanting to discover them together with characters.

- Does not matter. Fate franchise is not a death game. Knowing they all are doomed from the start is part of the story since Zero is about a bunch of close minded people getting ruined by their own folly.
- Who wins the war does not matter. But you sure as hell know that now so that makes guessing who "wins" in FSN pointless since

- Again, does not matter?
- Which is kind of the point? Kiritsugu is nothing more than Shirou's motivation. And also now you know what happened to him before HF actually TELLS you, as a plot twist, what kind of horrible person Kerry was.

Except that Rin thing was meant to be one of biggest twists in the story, while Zero's "surprises" are not meant to be surprises - most of them you can see a mile away.

Except that FSN is designed in a way that it pretends you DO NOT know anything from Zero. The sole focus of FSN is about those characters slowly discovering the mysteries and horrible truths that formed their lives.
While Zero is written a an after-thought expansion bonus for FSN, with the intent of taking the major revelations you learn through FSN and putting them in order from start to finish.

Watching/REading FSN first gives a watch value to Zero and then rewatch/reread value to FSN.
Watching Zero first leaves you confused while also ruining the first watch of FSN because you already know 99% of things the story wants to surprise you with.

I hope that my comment does not insult you in anyway, but after reading it, you seem like one of those close-minded people that are always saying "READ THE VN". Just because you experienced Fate/ that way doesn't mean anybody else should.

In fact, I had a very good time watching Zero when I did.

The funny thing is that you bashed all my comment with the premise "my way is better"

The fact what I could enjoy Fate/Zero and then Stay Night is proof enough that it is a viable way, but, if one is stubborn enough to not accept that and the only way it should be experimented is "mine", then, ok... you live with that.

I say that if you watch FSN first, you spoil the end of Zero, for you, that's insignificant. For me it was NOT. I don't know if you liked Zero, but it is my favorite and you trying to make it look like an "add-on" is not gonna change it.

Excuse me that I cannot elaborate my comment further, but English is not my native language, so it becomes a little bit difficult to express my ideas 100% clear.

[Softsubs > HardsubsFansubs > fast subsDarkmantis - @HumbertoZero]________________

Mar 17, 2016 12:53 PM
I'm in the middle of watching UBW 2014 Ufotable and I am currently on only Episode 7. This is my very first experience with the Fate Series as a whole But there is just one problem...In my long search for an answer to the infamous question of "What do I watch first", I was literally spoiled about almost everything that Fate Zero spoils for Fate Stay Night, including some big plot twists in Heaven's Feel as well as the identities of some of the servants. I feel like something is just missing when I am watching UBW, but maybe that is because of all the spoilers. Can anyone tell me if I should be feeling this way or get advice from people with similar experiences?

Mar 18, 2016 7:31 AM

HDarkmantis said:

I hope that my comment does not insult you in anyway, but after reading it, you seem like one of those close-minded people that are always saying "READ THE VN". Just because you experienced Fate/ that way doesn't mean anybody else should.

READ THE VN Is literally written on the first page of Fate Zero novel, to the point that Urobuchi did not want to publish it till Fate Hollow Ataraxia came out.

Its not subjective. Narrative structure is not subjectie. What you are suggesting is as outlandish as reading book from the last page first because last page had a flashback.

The funny thing is that you bashed all my comment with the premise "my way is better"

It snot my way its intended way.

The fact what I could enjoy Fate/Zero and then Stay Night is proof enough that it is a viable way, but, if one is stubborn enough to not accept that and the only way it should be experimented is "mine", then, ok... you live with that.

I can enjoy taking random book and reading random chapter from the middle of it. Does not mean I am getting the intended experience or full experience or understanding it the correct way. From your comments you clearly have NOT understood anything.

I say that if you watch FSN first, you spoil the end of Zero, for you, that's insignificant. For me it was NOT. I don't know if you liked Zero, but it is my favorite and you trying to make it look like an "add-on" is not gonna change it.

AGAIN.
Zero is
WRitten
WITH
THE
IDEA
That you KNOW The ending.

Why do you think majority of Zero is predictable as hell and you can see most of the events from mile away? Because you are supposed to be interested in HOW the characters get to what you already know.

FSN is NOT written that way. It is not a "personal" preference. It is the way Narrative is structured.

WalkerMage102 said:
I'm in the middle of watching UBW 2014 Ufotable and I am currently on only Episode 7. This is my very first experience with the Fate Series as a whole But there is just one problem...In my long search for an answer to the infamous question of "What do I watch first", I was literally spoiled about almost everything that Fate Zero spoils for Fate Stay Night, including some big plot twists in Heaven's Feel as well as the identities of some of the servants. I feel like something is just missing when I am watching UBW, but maybe that is because of all the spoilers. Can anyone tell me if I should be feeling this way or get advice from people with similar experiences?

There's no accurate or good enough Fate adaptation beyond Zero.

FSN UBW as pretty as it can be sometimes still is mostly mediocre half-assed quick buck adaptation that is nigh incomprehensible without the source material.
Modified by Ahenshihael, Mar 18, 2016 7:36 AM

Mar 18, 2016 7:44 AM

Dude, why don't you calm down?

You really hate that much an opinion different than yours? Just look at yourself shredding my comment to pieces...

The fact is that I ENJOYED Zero before the rest. As I enjoyed it that way MANY others did, and just because you can't accept that it won't be less truth.

I watched Zero, I'm currently reading the FSN VN, and I can tell you I still think the same. I wouldn't dare to ruin the surprises I got with Zero (which I think is better, and yes, EVERYTHING is subjective), in fact, watching Zero before made me get exited when Gilgamesh appeared, or the mentions of Kiritsugu's past, or how he didn't betray Saber as she thought...

Why you need to make such a mess for my opinion?
When I wrote it I honestly didn't expect to upset someone, I'm sorry.
I still stand in my view.

Goodbye (I don't really like fighting in the internet, so let's leave it here, shall we?)

Mar 18, 2016 12:12 PM
Alright then, I'll probably just read the vn then. Does anyone know where I can get it in english?

Mar 19, 2016 2:52 AM
WalkerMage102 said:
Alright then, I'll probably just read the vn then. Does anyone know where I can get it in english?

I sent you a message

Jul 24, 2016 1:04 AM
Fuck... Too much anime! As much as I'd like to play the VN so I could know the whole story. It's too damn long. Animated is awesome too because of the action brought to life. But in VN. One less epic.

Jan 29, 2017 12:24 AM

Guys you just need to watch it in release older.
Fate Stay Night 2006 goes first
Fate Zero second
Fate Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works third. The series, the movie can be ignored.
These all belong to the final grail war
Fate Heaven's Feel does too, which will be released this year. So watch that fourth.

Chronologically Fate/Zero comes first but if you do watch it first, it will spoil everything in F/SN.
The release date order is perfect.

Fate/Zero is the prequel to Fate/Stay Night.
Fate/Stay Night is divided into three routes all focusing on which girl does Emiya choose. Well, it's a harem series at its core.
Fate/Stay Night 2006 is Saber's route, and it should be considered the true path, no matter how lacking compared to the rest.
Unlimited Blade Works series is Rin's route
And Heaven's Feel, I believe will be Sakura's route.
Signature? I ain't got no signature! I don't need no signature! I don't have to show you any stinkin' signature!

Mar 28, 2017 12:03 AM

luckily i see this thread and read all the contents of it. I'm about to watch the F/Z right now. Thank you so much for the good clarification, before i got here, i'm super confused about this whole FATE series.

Apr 8, 2017 8:30 PM

jeremeel2015 said:
luckily i see this thread and read all the contents of it. I'm about to watch the F/Z right now. Thank you so much for the good clarification, before i got here, i'm super confused about this whole FATE series.

About a year ago, I was in the same boat you are now. I avoided Fate/Stay Night. From strictly the anime side, if you watch Fate/Stay Night before Fate/Zero, you'll be spoiled and won't enjoy Zero to its maximum potential, you know?

Fate/Zero is amazing and there are some fucked up moments too! After you watch Fate/Zero S1/S2, be sure to watch Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works - Prologue before you start on the first season of UBW. Here's a link to it as well > https://myanimelist.net/anime/27821/Fate_stay_night__Unlimited_Blade_Works_-_Prologue.

Apr 8, 2017 9:11 PM

jeremeel2015 said:

If you want to be spoiled of Fate/Stay Night content then watch Fate/Zero first.

If you want to be spoiled of Fate/Zero content then watch Fate/Stay Night first.

There's really no way out of the spoilers. Both of them spoil each other but do note that Fate/Zero is a PREQUEL to Fate/Stay Night and is meant to be watched after you've seen the latter. It's a complementary material that seeks to answer some questions in Fate/Stay Night and show us how the Fourth Holy Grail War unfolded which lead to the destruction of Fuyuki City which is a very essential part in Fate/Stay Night. In other words, Fate/Zero should be watched after Fate/Stay Night or to be more specific Heaven's Feel but I doubt you can wait that long for the whole trilogy to be released.

Jul 25, 2017 11:51 AM

Does emiya learn that kiritsugu won the last holy great war and was sabers master like he does in the first stay night? If so which episode like is it later in the series or early on

"Life and death have been in love,
For longer than we have words to describe,
Life sends countless gifts to death,
And death keeps them forever."

Jul 26, 2017 2:23 AM
PunkHazard98 said:
Does emiya learn that kiritsugu won the last holy great war and was sabers master like he does in the first stay night? If so which episode like is it later in the series or early on

Pages (16) « First ... « 14 15 [16]