Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Nov 30, 2014 5:20 AM

Flashmud said:
I know that Fate/Stay Night was made before Fate/Zero, but I disagree that Fate/Zero requires some form of prior knowledge, I think it makes a great stand alone series. I tried watching 2006's Fate/Stay Night at first, but I couldn't make it to the end of the first episode. I thought the characters were predictable and annoying, and more importantly, it started like every anime ever made. On the contrary, I got hooked on Fate/zero instantly. It felt fresh and mature and the fact that it was a bit hard to follow in the beginning made it that much more interesting. I don't like when an anime is dumb, when the obvious is overstated, so I think not having any prior knowledge made it fun and challenging.

Now I'm trying to watch Unlimited Blade Works, and it makes me cringe to have to watch the same first episode again. I seriously wonder if it's worth it. I have a hard time understanding the logic behind the setting in Stay Night as well. In Fate/Zero, the big magi families from around the world have to assemble in one place for the war, and they are sworn enemies, yet 10 years later all their children conveniently attend the same high school and are buddies? It seems like they put way more thoughts into making the prequel than the original. Stay Night sounds like it was created as a poor excuse to make some generic high school drama happen.

I guess my question is: are we going to be served the same kind of brilliant dialogue, subdued narration and great characterization that we saw in Fate/Zero, or are we going to spend 25 episodes listening to Sakura call Shirou "sempai" twice in every sentence she utters?

I'm sorry you might have something important to say, but I couldn't even finish your first sentence. I feel like you're entire post is both predictable and annoying, and more importantly it started like every other post ever made. I hate it when sentences are obvious and just plain dumb.
Even looking at your post just made me cringe. It makes me wonder if it's even worth reading. It feels like no thought was put into it whatsoever. Your post feels like a poor excuse to write some generic paragraph full of words.
I guess my question is does your post have anything meaningful to say? Or am I going to have to spend time reading 25 sentences of you whining and complaining.
Modified by KamiCity, Nov 30, 2014 8:34 AM

Nov 30, 2014 11:33 PM

Flashmud said:
I know that Fate/Stay Night was made before Fate/Zero, but I disagree that Fate/Zero requires some form of prior knowledge, I think it makes a great stand alone series. I tried watching 2006's Fate/Stay Night at first, but I couldn't make it to the end of the first episode. I thought the characters were predictable and annoying, and more importantly, it started like every anime ever made. On the contrary, I got hooked on Fate/zero instantly. It felt fresh and mature and the fact that it was a bit hard to follow in the beginning made it that much more interesting. I don't like when an anime is dumb, when the obvious is overstated, so I think not having any prior knowledge made it fun and challenging.

Now I'm trying to watch Unlimited Blade Works, and it makes me cringe to have to watch the same first episode again. I seriously wonder if it's worth it. I have a hard time understanding the logic behind the setting in Stay Night as well. In Fate/Zero, the big magi families from around the world have to assemble in one place for the war, and they are sworn enemies, yet 10 years later all their children conveniently attend the same high school and are buddies? It seems like they put way more thoughts into making the prequel than the original. Stay Night sounds like it was created as a poor excuse to make some generic high school drama happen.

I guess my question is: are we going to be served the same kind of brilliant dialogue, subdued narration and great characterization that we saw in Fate/Zero, or are we going to spend 25 episodes listening to Sakura call Shirou "sempai" twice in every sentence she utters?

What i see in your post is : You've already made up ur mind that FSN is sh*t and F/Z far more better, So there's no point in answer/convince you,whether you intent or not you've just provoke FSN fan. The only answer i can give you is YOU DON'T DESERVE TO WATCH/UNDERSTAND THIS SHOW.

Dec 1, 2014 6:07 AM

Hi all~

I'm new to the series and all the acronyms in the first/original post confused me. @_@ But I did read it, just can't say for sure I understood what I read. lol ^^'

Okay so first, I watched Fate/Zero. As I understand it, this was a mistake? >_< But I did enjoy it and I understood the plot/story in and by itself. I (attempted to) watch Fate/Stay Night afterwards and because of the big difference in animation, I only lasted until the 4th episode. I'm not incredibly picky but after seeing how good F/Z looked, it put me off to F/SN entirely. :c

My question now is:
Will the entire series still make sense if I just watch Ultimate Blade Works now after I saw F/Z? Or do I really have to finish F/SN for it all to make sense?

The main reason why I even bothered watching F/Z is because I saw that it was supposed to be a prequel to the recent UBW anime. I planned on watching F/SN after F/Z but if it all still makes sense for me even if I just skip that one and just go on to UBW, I'll do it. >_<
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .

Dec 1, 2014 6:14 AM

raenydays said:
Hi all~

I'm new to the series and all the acronyms in the first/original post confused me. @_@ But I did read it, just can't say for sure I understood what I read. lol ^^'

Okay so first, I watched Fate/Zero. As I understand it, this was a mistake? >_< But I did enjoy it and I understood the plot/story in and by itself. I (attempted to) watch Fate/Stay Night afterwards and because of the big difference in animation, I only lasted until the 4th episode. I'm not incredibly picky but after seeing how good F/Z looked, it put me off to F/SN entirely. :c

My question now is:
Will the entire series still make sense if I just watch Ultimate Blade Works now after I saw F/Z? Or do I really have to finish F/SN for it all to make sense?

The main reason why I even bothered watching F/Z is because I saw that it was supposed to be a prequel to the recent UBW anime. I planned on watching F/SN after F/Z but if it all still makes sense for me even if I just skip that one and just go on to UBW, I'll do it. >_<

Don't worry about it, The old Fate stay night anime was based in the Fate route which focuses on Saber, her backstory and subsequent redemption. But if you've watched Fate/zero you probably know all about her backstory already so you don't have to worry XD

There will be some things that will confuse you about UBW after you've watched Fate/Z but they'll be cleared up when the new Heavens Feel movie comes out.

So full steam ahead, just continue with UBW. And try and forget some of the things you learned XD

Dec 1, 2014 6:16 AM

raenydays said:
Hi all~

My question now is:

Fate/stay night (FSN) was a Visual Novel, a videogame, with three stories called Fate, Unlimited Blade Works (UBW) and Heaven's Feel (HF), in exactly that order. Fate/Zero is a prequel, but one that is written to be seen after experiencing FSN. But if you have already watched it, it's also okay. Sure, the series will still make sense, but quite a lot of plot reveals are gone now. And you have to assume to know nothing about FZ, at least the characters in FSN do.

The anime from 2006 covers more or less (less probably) Fate. This one covers UBW and the movies will cover HF. It's a mediocre adaptation at best, so if you don't feel like watching it and directly watch UBW, it's also okay. Knowing what happens in Fate improves one's experience in UBW though, which is why one of the recommendations states to just read Fate first, before watching UBW.

Dec 1, 2014 6:16 AM

Yeah just remember that UBW won't assume you know anything from Zero and most of stuff from there will be treated as revelations and new info.

Dec 1, 2014 6:26 AM

Thank you very much WrongPriest, CorePriest, CookingPriest (all priests? @_@) for the replies. ^^

I'll plow on with Ultimate Blade Works for now~ :D
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .

Dec 1, 2014 7:29 AM

raenydays said:
My question now is:

The main reason why I even bothered watching F/Z is because I saw that it was supposed to be a prequel to the recent UBW anime. I planned on watching F/SN after F/Z but if it all still makes sense for me even if I just skip that one and just go on to UBW, I'll do it.
Literally the first thing in the OP:

ZeroDragon said:
The anime "Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works" is not a remake nor does it have anything to do with the "Fate/Stay Night" anime that premiered in 2006. The 2014 F/SN UBW adapts the Unlimited Blade Works route of the visual novel while the 2006 F/SN was an inaccurate and botched adaptation of the source material (though whether or not it's good as a standalone anime depends on the individual viewer).

The 2006 F/SN should not be taken as a representative of the Fate franchise in the slightest, and it's important that you don't allow it to taint your impression of the story and characters when you read the visual novel or watch the 2014 F/SN UBW.

Dec 6, 2014 11:58 PM

Is this two-cour or split-cour? Or does it warrant three cour?

Dec 7, 2014 12:01 AM

Grouchio said:
Is this two-cour or split-cour? Or does it warrant three cour?

Split cour

Dec 9, 2014 12:44 PM

After seeing all the people vested into this series, I've finally considered giving it a go. This guide will definitely help, though I'm debating on which of the first two approaches I will consider.
Typing on an ipad is like driving carpentry nails with a sledgehammer.

Dec 9, 2014 12:55 PM

KazuhoYoshii said:
After seeing all the people vested into this series, I've finally considered giving it a go. This guide will definitely help, though I'm debating on which of the first two approaches I will consider.

You should really try reading Fate first. It makes a few things clearer in UBW and also makes the anime more enjoyable imo. And if you find yourself totally hooked on the story, you won't have to wait for the second cour, since you have the option of reading UBW and even HF.

Dec 9, 2014 1:00 PM

FlameseeK said:
KazuhoYoshii said:

You should really try reading Fate first. It makes a few things clearer in UBW and also makes the anime more enjoyable imo. And if you find yourself totally hooked on the story, you won't have to wait for the second cour, since you have the option of reading UBW and even HF.

I wonder if having the VN dubbed would make it easier for people to read it (I'm obviously not holding out any hopes of it, just wondering).
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Dec 9, 2014 1:28 PM

mickdrew_99 said:
FlameseeK said:

I wonder if having the VN dubbed would make it easier for people to read it (I'm obviously not holding out any hopes of it, just wondering).

Uhh... how so? That makes no sense to me tbh. When it comes to anime and visual novels, Japanese sounds way better than English imo. Plus, dubbing Kirei... please, no.

I don't know what would encourage people to read vns, because they always get me much more engaged than anime. I've never cared for reading much, but I find visual novels much more enjoyable because you can see/hear the characters, there's also good background music to set the mood, and there's more depth to the plot and characters since there are no time constraints. Some masterpieces will never be adapted, like Ever17 or Muvluv Alternative.

Dec 9, 2014 1:31 PM

>Dubbed

Dec 9, 2014 1:39 PM

FlameseeK said:

Uhh... how so? That makes no sense to me tbh. When it comes to anime and visual novels, Japanese sounds way better than English imo. Plus, dubbing Kirei... please, no.

I don't know what would encourage people to read vns, because they always get me much more engaged than anime. I've never cared for reading much, but I find visual novels much more enjoyable because you can see/hear the characters, there's also good background music to set the mood, and there's more depth to the plot and characters since there are no time constraints. Some masterpieces will never be adapted, like Ever17 or Muvluv Alternative.

As long as Crispin Freeman voices Kirei, there is no reason to bitch.

Besides that, I agree with you.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Dec 9, 2014 2:14 PM

mickdrew_99 said:
FlameseeK said:

Oh, but there is. There definitely is.

I won't say the guy is bad, but a character's voice reflects his personality to a certain extent. When it comes to Kirei, Freeman doesn't hold a candle to Jouji Nakata's deep voice. It's not even close. And quite honestly, I don't think it should be that difficult to find someone who can properly speak in a deep voice (even if they wouldn't sound as good as Jouji Nakata)... but Freeman clearly didn't do it, so I dislike it. I do heavily favor Japanese voicing - or better yet, don't even give the dubbed version a try because they're always worse lol -, but in this case I'm not being biased.

Dec 9, 2014 2:25 PM

FlameseeK said:
mickdrew_99 said:

I won't say the guy is bad, but a character's voice reflects his personality to a certain extent. When it comes to Kirei, Freeman doesn't hold a candle to Jouji Nakata's deep voice. It's not even close. And quite honestly, I don't think it should be that difficult to find someone who can properly speak in a deep voice (even if they wouldn't sound as good as Jouji Nakata)... but Freeman clearly didn't do it, so I dislike it. I do heavily favor Japanese voicing - or better yet, don't even give the dubbed version a try because they're always worse lol -, but in this case I'm not being biased.

I don't think any VN company would consent to having their work being desecrated to this degree.

I'm open to a dub if more people would read VN's. But with the bad rap it's given by the anime community, I doubt anything pretty would be said about it.

Which is a shame, because good dubs do exist. Some Studio Ghibli movies and Cowboy Bebop were excellent dubs, to name a few.
Modified by SwordHand, Dec 9, 2014 2:32 PM

Dec 9, 2014 2:27 PM

FlameseeK said:

I agree I like the Japanese better, but you can't say Freeman did a bad job because he isn't like Nakata. That's not what dubs are for, they don't copy performances, they interpret them

Freeman's Kirei is different from Nakata's Kirei. Both are different takes on the original source material (VN and novels) that had no voices.
SwordHand said:

Which is a shame, because good dubs do exist. Some Studio Ghibli movies and Cowboy Bebop were excellent dubs.

Steins;Gate, Baccano, FMA, Black Lagoon,

There are plenty of good dubs out there.

Dec 9, 2014 3:05 PM

mickdrew_99 said:
I agree I like the Japanese better, but you can't say Freeman did a bad job because he isn't like Nakata. That's not what dubs are for, they don't copy performances, they interpret them

Freeman's Kirei is different from Nakata's Kirei. Both are different takes on the original source material (VN and novels) that had no voices.

To me, a huge part of Kirei's awesomeness comes from the creepy mood his attitude and voice set. So yes, I think Freeman's job was a complete failure in that regard. I'm not saying he's a bad VA - though I find it hard to believe he couldn't have made Kirei sound creepier -, but the way he did things makes me think his voice just doesn't suit Kirei.

What he did is, to a certain extent at least, comparable to voicing Ezio Auditore without an Italian-like accent, or Batman without a deep voice, or the Joker without laughing and talking like a maniac - it just doesn't cut imo.

If you compare Heath Ledger's Joker to Mark Hamill's, they're quite different; yet, they're still good enactments - they hit the nail on the head when it comes to embodying his personality with their voice. Out of all VAs who wanted to voice the Joker, Mark Hamill came out on top because his take best fit the character rather than his fame as a VA or something.

Nakata set the bar high, and Freeman failed to deliver. Nakata's voice sets the creepy mood, whereas Freeman just makes Kirei sound uninteresting in comparison. Suddenly, Kirei's aura is not as awesome anymore. Feel free to disagree though.

Dec 9, 2014 3:09 PM

FlameseeK said:
mickdrew_99 said:

To me, a huge part of Kirei's awesomeness comes from the creepy mood his attitude and voice set. So yes, I think Freeman's job was a complete failure in that regard. I'm not saying he's a bad VA - though I find it hard to believe he couldn't have made Kirei sound creepier -, but the way he did things makes me think his voice just doesn't suit Kirei.

What he did is, to a certain extent at least, comparable to voicing Ezio Auditore without an Italian-like accent, or Batman without a deep voice, or the Joker without laughing and talking like a maniac - it just doesn't cut imo.

If you compare Heath Ledger's Joker to Mark Hamill's, they're quite different; yet, they're still good enactments - they hit the nail on the head when it comes to embodying his personality with their voice. Out of all VAs who wanted to voice the Joker, Mark Hamill came out on top because his take best fit the character rather than his fame as a VA or something.

Nakata set the bar high, and Freeman failed to deliver. Nakata's voice sets the creepy mood, whereas Freeman just makes Kirei sound uninteresting in comparison. Suddenly, Kirei's aura is not as awesome anymore. Feel free to disagree though.

A lot of dub supporters don't discount the authenticity of the japanese performences. It's just that they prefer dubs because they can understand what's being said and see everything that's going on in the scene at the same time. A part of me thinks that we'd enjoy the visuals of the anime a lot more if our eyes weren't focused on a specific portion of the screen 80% of the time. Based peripheral vision tho.

Why a VN would EVER need this, I'll never know. But hey, it's worked for nintendo.

Dec 9, 2014 3:10 PM

Isn't the up side of VNs being that you start understanding Japanese better? Listening it, I mean. Ofc, that's just what I think =3
The sun is a deadly laser

Dec 9, 2014 3:13 PM

mira-lala said:
Isn't the up side of VNs being that you start understanding Japanese better? Listening it, I mean. Ofc, that's just what I think =3

I'm probably doing it wrong, because it becomes a race of which is faster; my reading speed or the voice delivery. But I have to admit, I stopped to listen to Realta Nua many times.

I click too fast to be educated :D

Dec 9, 2014 3:29 PM

SwordHand said:
mira-lala said:

I'm probably doing it wrong, because it becomes a race of which is faster; my reading speed or the voice delivery. But I have to admit, I stopped to listen to Realta Nua many times.

I click too fast to be educated :D

I do both things as well. Depending on the novel, the character continues speaking unless someone else cuts in anyway. But in most cases, you don't have to listen to the entire sentence to feel the mood.

Dec 9, 2014 4:13 PM

EVERY absolotuely EVERY english dub is s**t (escpacially since English is not my native language).

But there is just one exception to that: David Hayter as Solid Snake.

Dec 9, 2014 4:25 PM

Grey-Zone said:
EVERY absolotuely EVERY english dub is s**t (escpacially since English is not my native language).

But there is just one exception to that: David Hayter as Solid Snake.

Two words: Cowboy Bebop.
one word; FMA:Brotherhood.
Another one Word: Steins;Gate

Another one word; Baccano

So, no.

Frankly I can't Imagine watching Baccano or COwboy Bebop undubbed. It just sounds...wrong.

Dec 9, 2014 4:45 PM

But... but... being mad scientist it's so cool... sunavabitch

Dec 9, 2014 5:09 PM

FlameseeK said:
But... but... being mad scientist it's so cool... sunavabitch

The dub version of this was nowhere as good, but it was okay all things considered.

Dec 9, 2014 5:35 PM

Dub vs sub wars: The only type of shitstorm missing from this subforum.

Dec 9, 2014 5:43 PM

While I completely agree about Steins;Gate's , FMA Brotherhood's, and Baccano's dubs (I would also include Hellsing Ultimate's), I always felt Cowboy Bebop's dub to be a bit...outdated. GITS:SAC feels the same way too. The voice acting quality doesn't seem as sharp then as it does with dubs today.

Dec 9, 2014 5:45 PM

toyall123 said:
While I completely agree about Steins;Gate's , FMA Brotherhood's, and Baccano's dubs (I would also include Hellsing Ultimate's), I always felt Cowboy Bebop's dub to be a bit...outdated. GITS:SAC feels the same way too. The voice acting quality doesn't seem as sharp then as it does with dubs today.

I think that might be due the fact that the dub was in fact done almost a decade ago.

It sounds outdated because it is outdated. I just love Spike's voice actor. Jet and Ed as well. It's arguable whether Ein>Faye.

Dec 9, 2014 5:53 PM

Dec 9, 2014 5:55 PM

SwordHand said:

I think that might be due the fact that the dub was in fact done almost a decade ago.

It sounds outdated because it is outdated. I just love Spike's voice actor. Jet and Ed as well. It's arguable whether Ein>Faye.

I know. It's why I put that last sentence there.

Ed is my personal favorite character, with Faye coming a close second :)

Dec 9, 2014 5:57 PM

fst said:
Actually, things seem to be remarkably good-natured at this point.

Dec 9, 2014 6:03 PM

Monster's dub is better.
And I mean that in the most sexually painful way possible.

Dec 9, 2014 6:59 PM

fst said:

Still need legal vs pirates if I'm not mistaken.

Dec 9, 2014 7:07 PM

antonn said:
fst said:

I thought ninja's fought pirates?

Dec 9, 2014 7:07 PM

I watched Fate/Zero dubbed, it was good.
"Legal translators and subbers for anime/manga are like the Shichibukai, basically pirates hired by companies to keep other pirates in check."-SuperRed

Dec 9, 2014 7:08 PM

WrongPriest said:
antonn said:

I thought ninja's fought pirates?

That's only in the shounen discussion thread.

Dec 9, 2014 7:13 PM

BahamutPriest said:

Usually my Subs vs Dubs goes off whichever version I watched first, it's hard to hear Characters with voices other than the one you've pre-established.

Sadly, it'd be pretty hard for me to enjoy F/z dub, even if it is really good.

Dec 9, 2014 7:20 PM

Lucky Star dub = best dub

Lucky Star dub > Lucky Star sub

ADMIT IT, IT'S DA TRUF, AND YOU KNOW IT!

Dec 9, 2014 7:34 PM

mira-lala said:
Lucky Star dub = best dub

Lucky Star dub > Lucky Star sub

ADMIT IT, IT'S DA TURF, AND YOU KNOW IT!

ftfy
Preach it sista

Dec 9, 2014 7:37 PM

WrongPriest said:
BahamutPriest said:

Usually my Subs vs Dubs goes off whichever version I watched first, it's hard to hear Characters with voices other than the one you've pre-established.

I enjoyed both a lot. Rikiya Koyama and Jouji Nakata make a sexy ass combo as Kiritsugu and Kirei, but Matthew Mercer and Crispin Freeman also did a really good job. Dubbed Rider was better, Subbed Saber was better, everyone else is probably equal.

Still wondering how the hell Crispin Freeman will do Older Kotomine, assuming he's returning for the UBW dub.
And I mean that in the most sexually painful way possible.

Dec 9, 2014 8:02 PM

JabonHR said:
WrongPriest said:

I enjoyed both a lot. Rikiya Koyama and Jouji Nakata make a sexy ass combo as Kiritsugu and Kirei, but Matthew Mercer and Crispin Freeman also did a really good job. Dubbed Rider was better, Subbed Saber was better, everyone else is probably equal.

Still wondering how the hell Crispin Freeman will do Older Kotomine, assuming he's returning for the UBW dub.

I think both the sub and dub were pretty solid in their own ways, though of course Jouji Nakata can't be surpassed.

Dec 9, 2014 11:42 PM

Lucky Star da best

[spoiler]

Dec 10, 2014 1:57 AM

THe only way I'd watch FSN or Zero dubbed is if dubbed voices had correct accents for nationalities.

Otherwise no way I am missing out on japanese Rin's VA

Dec 10, 2014 8:32 AM

<3 Kana Ueda

Dec 10, 2014 3:52 PM

CookingPriest said:
THe only way I'd watch FSN or Zero dubbed is if dubbed voices had correct accents for nationalities.

#disappointment

Baccano stands alone.

Dec 11, 2014 2:02 PM

CookingPriest said:

Argument holds no weight. Japanese VAs don't have the different accents either.

Dec 11, 2014 2:13 PM

mira-lala said:
CookingPriest said:

Argument holds no weight. Japanese VAs don't have the different accents either.

But to us, their voices are more "exotic" than plain ol' English.

Pages (16) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »