Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 9, 2014 1:39 PM

Aug 2013
the op part with Initial D racing thing was hilrarious as hell!!
Oct 9, 2014 1:41 PM

Mar 2014
The last time I learned anything about the anime industry was back when I watched Paranoia Agent, which was actually somewhat of a long time ago.

Anyhow, looks to be a fair start, hoping it doesn't drop in quality. I'd hate to have to drop something interesting, but that's how life is. :T
Oct 9, 2014 2:13 PM

Jul 2013
What a pleasant surprise from PA Works, they did a good job. This episode was really realistic since it was the first episode and we're already having scheduling problem which is one of the most common problems that occur on anime productions. I'm surprised too that people are already complaining about the plethora of characters introduced. Imo it's justified coz it's an animation studio.

Looks like my hype for this anime was justified. 10/10

Here's the anime version of Megumi Kouno, MiunaEma Yasuhara
Oct 9, 2014 2:20 PM

Jan 2013
Kind of hard to follow, so many characters. But there isn't enough anime about anime production so I'll watch it.
Oct 9, 2014 2:21 PM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
Deadlines sure are rough~ This was pretty entertaining.
"There is nothing outside of yourself that enables you to get better. Everything is within. Seek nothing outside of yourself." ⛩️

Oct 9, 2014 2:23 PM
Jul 2018
Interesting enough to keep watching. I hope I can learn the names of some of the characters by the end of the season cause they introduced a lot of them today and I can't remember a single one. xD
Oct 9, 2014 2:26 PM

May 2009
Ohh the subject of this anime is quite interesting. I was always wondering how it's like to make an anime. OvO
The art is amazing and I'm very interested in the variety of characters. The main character is very likeable.. I mean.. DONUTS.
I thought the phase was going a bit fast though. It's not really come to a level of "getting annoying", but I don't mind if they'd slow down a bit. x)
check out my twitch: https://twitch.tv/slowy
Oct 9, 2014 2:54 PM

Jul 2013
Pretty good introduction episode, but it is kind of fast paced and there are so many characters in here in just the first episode. But when I looked into it closely, it seems like it is presented in a studio where the whole crew is working on a tv show, which looks pretty interesting to see how the entire cast is working on an anime tv show.

IDK about this because I might forget who is the main cast (except Aoi) and forget most of the supporting characters. I'll see how the show goes in later episodes. PA Works please don't disappoint me on this.

Oct 9, 2014 2:58 PM

Jan 2012
This seemed like it was packed with stuff, including characters. I'll never be able to keep track of them all but I'm definitely gonna keep watching. I've never seen an anime about anime before...except I think one episode of Paranoia Agent.
Oct 9, 2014 3:01 PM

Sep 2008
That was very enjoyable. The character designs are good, so was the animation and the MC is very likable.

I'll look forward to watching this every week.
Oct 9, 2014 3:28 PM
Jul 2018
An anime about working at anime studio, that is so interesting.

The anime staffs messed up with episode 4, they should have everything ready before the deadline.
Oct 9, 2014 3:32 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Shaniyaz said:

Aside that, anime industry seems hectic as hell! Why don't the studio have their staffs assigned for specific sections beforehand? You don't air an anime until everything is ready to go, starting from episode 1 to the last.
I could be wrong, but are every anime studios in real life are like that? I don't think so.

Maybe not every animation studio is like that in real life, but it is apparently pretty hectic. I mean I remember that one time when Psycho Pass's director apologized on his twitter for airing an incomplete episode (lots of derp faces, weird anatomy...). Also Wizard Barristers, I think it was the last episode where all we saw was Cecil's face and then proceed to hear other voices and sound effects yet barely anything was moving on the screen. Clearly they had trouble finishing up that episode as well. I believe there are very few anime that actually have all their episodes done before the airing of the first episode, though I could be wrong. But I mean that can only explain the every so often derp faces we see in some anime, and then they fix that later for the BDs. WIT Studio too had trouble in the beginning with SnK due to the lack of animators they had.

Anyways, loving that first episode. Not super exciting or anything, but it's interesting to see how an animation studio may work or the troubles they might face. I bet the PA Works team that is working on this is having fun since it relates to them. Or maybe not, they might be just super tired lol. We got a focus on Aoi this week, but I'm interested in seeing the others as well.
Oct 9, 2014 3:34 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Shirobako, you had me at Initial D.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Oct 9, 2014 3:39 PM

Mar 2013
Interesting premise. An anime about anime... Definitely will keep watching.
Oct 9, 2014 3:42 PM

Oct 2013
What a waste of good animation -.-
"There's no shame in falling down... true shame is to not stand up again!"

"Aah? Of course I won't miss!"

"My blood tastes like Iron."

"Run through the tape in life! Never give up! Run through the tape!"
Oct 9, 2014 3:58 PM

Jul 2011
Very fast pace, but I like the premise! And just a heads up, no they don't air a series after it's been produced. They work on it as it airs, at least usually. Not the same as TV shows/dramas.
The anime/manga industry is very hectic. Not all of them experience this (I can't imagine it being like that for well-known and large production companies who have plenty of staff), but I can definitely think that smaller companies do. The anime/manga industry is understaffed and deadlines are tight. :O
Anime takes lots of effort, time and money to produce. (Seriously, a single episode of anime is like $120,000 US +...)

Anyways, I'm watching this to gain some knowledge about animation production. I look forward to it.
MirorinOct 9, 2014 4:03 PM
Oct 9, 2014 4:05 PM

Jul 2007
This was way better than what I expected. Funny yet serious all the time. Dem drifts and donuts.
>Lanfis
>G.I

Anyways will follow this on~
Oct 9, 2014 4:17 PM
Jun 2014
HybridMBL said:
Surprise surprise anime production is hard : P
I have some knowledge but it'll be cool to see if this does for anime what Bakuman did for manga

Yea i hope it works out that way. So far great episode. lovin the drifting
Oct 9, 2014 4:22 PM

Dec 2013
Seems pretty interesting. Definitely looks like it'll be better than Glasslip was (then again, how could it be worse...?). Didn't leave me with any huge impressions but it looks like it has potential to be good as long as the more important characters get fleshed out well.
Oct 9, 2014 4:28 PM

Jun 2013
Nice start to my most anticipated anime of the fall season :)
Oct 9, 2014 4:33 PM

Nov 2011
Oct 9, 2014 4:38 PM

Jul 2013
that was really interesting. i noticed a lot of references.

the episode was really fast paced which was somewhat hard to keep up with. however, it's cool that we get to see in to the world of anime production.

i'm looking forward to the next episode
Oct 9, 2014 4:47 PM

Jan 2008
Saw a lot of references, which was fun. A bit surprised that P.A. decided to do this kind of show though.
Oct 9, 2014 4:50 PM

Jan 2011
META FIRST EPISODE! wonder how the actual staff reacted to their first episode :P

i think it was a decent first episode none of the characters stood out right away but i expect that to change with this being a 2 cour,i always been interested in the anime industry so i hope this turns out to be a accurate or at least semi-realistic representation of it in the long run.
Oct 9, 2014 5:09 PM
Aug 2012
Quite interesting just like what everyone is saying. I personally feel though that this episode was extremely overwhelming in a bad way though since they gave out lots of information here and there and everywhere. And then we had a time skip in episode one like wut .__. ALREADY? LE HESUS WE'S GON SEE LIKE A "3 hours later" KINDA SHIT ALL UP IN DIS ANIME but really they need to chill with the pace and take it down a notch in my opinion.

I will be tuning in next week for another episode of Shirobako to see where this anime is heading though.

Final/Random Thoughts: PA Works is fucking amazing with making their characters very pretty but I just can't over the fact that most of the girls just look like they swapped hair and then BAM new character .__.
Oct 9, 2014 5:42 PM

Apr 2014
This one has a lot of potential. Fast paced, way too many characters but I'm looking forward to see how anime production works. Please don't be another Glasslip (starts off pretty good then...dissapointment).

A solid 6,5/10
Oct 9, 2014 6:06 PM

Apr 2012
It's okay P.A. works. I'm not really mad at ya even though Glasslip was ten kinds of boring and shitty. I mean we are not perfect. We screw up sometimes. My trust is still not yet lost.

So i heard that this anime is also made by the staff that made Genshiken. I haven't watched that one yet and i heard good praise. So far this has been a very enjoyable first episode. This could be the next Bakuman, only for making anime. We could probably learn a lot from this show of how anime is produced behind the scenes.

Also, Street racing and Donuts.
Oct 9, 2014 6:14 PM

Aug 2008
I wonder if P.A. works has something against Production IG...

I hope this anime will be realistic. I would like to take everything that happen in it to be taken as a fact so that I learn more.
Oct 9, 2014 6:19 PM

Mar 2010
So many characters.... Cant remember them all.

taro is annoying me
StardewOct 9, 2014 6:22 PM
Oct 9, 2014 7:12 PM

Aug 2013
Even with all the deadline rush and tension, I thought it was a pretty chill episode. Surprisingly informative too. I watched a video about how JC Staff produces an episode and I must say, the art department does not look like that at all haha. I mean I assume every animation art department would looks the same (more or less) but this one has a "busy but bright and happy" vibe.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Oct 9, 2014 7:26 PM

Jul 2013
I thought it was gonna be one of those moe anime but they went straight to Initial D scene lol..

This was surprisingly pleasant. Working in the animation industry myself (though I mostly do 3D I've also done 2D before) I can definitely relate to the characters in this show although I don't think I was that nervous when the first ever animation project I participated in was aired on TV.

I like this, as far as premise and execution this is one of the best starts this season. The ED song is quite nice too. There are tons of characters but it would be weird if an animation studio doesn't have many employees.

For those who are wondering, yeah making an anime takes a lot of work. 3D is a lot more complicated in execution but you can automate a lot of things, 2D is simpler to do but takes A LOT of time and man power. Is it that hectic in real life? you bet. Forget a full episode, even a 1 minute commercial is a pain to work on especially with tight deadlines.
MoeGodOct 9, 2014 7:34 PM
Oct 9, 2014 7:38 PM

Oct 2012
Mirorin said:
Anime takes lots of effort, time and money to produce.
(Seriously, a single episode of anime is like $120,000 US +...)

Yes, that's right.

Here is a detailed breakdown of the cost of producing an anime episode:
http://www.crunchyroll.ca/anime-news/2011/10/30-1/how-much-does-one-episode-of-anime-cost-to-make
Oct 9, 2014 7:44 PM

Aug 2012
I liked how they followed that fluffy SOL intro with the in your face reality with the timeskip, and topping it off with a street race lol. I also like how all the girls went their respective ways, and we're getting to see so much interaction between the studio coworkers top to bottom. Quite different from what I was expecting, and pleasantly so.
Oct 9, 2014 9:10 PM

Jan 2008
tingy said:
Shaniyaz said:

Aside that, anime industry seems hectic as hell! Why don't the studio have their staffs assigned for specific sections beforehand? You don't air an anime until everything is ready to go, starting from episode 1 to the last.
I could be wrong, but are every anime studios in real life are like that? I don't think so.

Maybe not every animation studio is like that in real life, but it is apparently pretty hectic. I mean I remember that one time when Psycho Pass's director apologized on his twitter for airing an incomplete episode (lots of derp faces, weird anatomy...). Also Wizard Barristers, I think it was the last episode where all we saw was Cecil's face and then proceed to hear other voices and sound effects yet barely anything was moving on the screen. Clearly they had trouble finishing up that episode as well. I believe there are very few anime that actually have all their episodes done before the airing of the first episode, though I could be wrong. But I mean that can only explain the every so often derp faces we see in some anime, and then they fix that later for the BDs. WIT Studio too had trouble in the beginning with SnK due to the lack of animators they had.

Anyways, loving that first episode. Not super exciting or anything, but it's interesting to see how an animation studio may work or the troubles they might face. I bet the PA Works team that is working on this is having fun since it relates to them. Or maybe not, they might be just super tired lol. We got a focus on Aoi this week, but I'm interested in seeing the others as well.

Don't forget Girls und Panzer. They couldn't finish the two last episodes before the season ended and it got delayed by two months (or more, don't remember). Funny enough, the director from Girls und Panzer is directing this now, so he must know what he's doing.

Anyway, good episode and I think it was rushed because they wanna a sense of urgency and stress to show how the industry work. It's two cour, so there isn't another reason to rush it...it should slow down in the next episodes and start to focus on characters too, I think.
Oct 9, 2014 10:08 PM

Jun 2010
don don doughnut baby.

Gat damn so many characters.

This totally gives me that bakuman vibe.

and those driving skills though.
Either drifting is super legal or the cops there are super lazy.
<--- Who Your Waifus Look Up To --->
Oct 9, 2014 10:12 PM

Jul 2013
Lol Aoi drifting. Unexpected car race there.
Fairly interested in how the industry works as well so I'll keep watching it.
Segawa ;o
Oct 9, 2014 10:40 PM

Apr 2012
Oh hey, a new Initial D!
Oct 9, 2014 10:54 PM

Aug 2012
>spoofing three female VAs
10/10 I laughed and felt good cause I got them
Oct 9, 2014 10:54 PM

Oct 2014
After the blunder that was Glasslip, a series I was also greatly looking forward to which ripped my heart out with its banality, P.A. Works has redeemed themselves. This was wonderful, if this quality continues for several more weeks, I can proudly call myself a P.A. Works fanboy again. I only lament that I'll never remember all those names.

P.S. So thrilled that this is two cours, thought it was only one.
Oct 9, 2014 11:02 PM

Aug 2013
It was actually a little bit worse than I expected. Overall was pretty average. It could still turn out to be pretty decent though so I wont rush into dropping it or anything.

rsc-pl said:
Rayzer said:
Glasslip was interesting at first episode but on the run it was disappointing.

No it wasn't (I mean it wasn't bad) .

Wat? Glasslip was fucking awful. Easily worst anime of summer, possibly of the year.
Oct 9, 2014 11:52 PM

Jun 2009
Why people complaining about the myriads of character in this anime? It doesn't matter to me because I always forgot every character's name soon after the show end lol

just hoping this anime will stay focused on the world of anime production, and not suddenly taking sharp turn to mystical or drama story
Oct 10, 2014 12:04 AM

Jun 2013
My thoughts in chronological order throughout the episode:

1. The year is 300,000,000 A.D. O__O

2. Damn P.A. Works and their character designs. First thing I noticed about Midori was the Chisaki hair.

3. "There's so much anime this fall, it's hard to pick what to watch." You're telling me...

4. "... but my hard drive fills up so fast..." I could cry right now. Why didn't anyone tell me a 2 TB drive wouldn't be enough?

5. "G.I. Staff." Heh.

6. That was the happiest, most merry car chase/race I've ever seen.

7. "No Makeup is Life" Heh.

8. Basically all other references: Heh.

9. "Yes. Yes. Yes." "Please. Please. Please" I already like Takanashi, lol.

Pretty entertaining first episode. Definitely has my kind of comedy in there (Segawa slowly closing her door was hilarious). And for us serious anime watchers, I'm sure it'll be a treat since its about the industry. Can't wait for more!
Oct 10, 2014 12:35 AM

Oct 2012
Gersoncs said:
Don't forget Girls und Panzer. They couldn't finish the two last episodes
before the season ended and it got delayed by two months (or more,
don't remember). Funny enough, the director from Girls und Panzer is
directing this now, so he must know what he's doing.

Ha ha. I do remember "Girls und Panzer" (2012). Back while I was watching it, I
had been making a regular habit of following the frequent Tweets from Tsutomu
Mizushima's (水島努) personal Twitter account. When the crisis hit, he started to
send out some extremely strange Tweets, and then after that stopped Tweeting
completely for a very long time. So I think he was going a little bit psychotic, as
opposed to normal anger. He had already sent out some angry tweets earlier in
the series when one of his unnamed staff members goofed up.

Let's watch this series carefully to see whether Mizushima gives us any hints of
his real-life experiences during the darkest moments of GuP.

Here is Mizushima's personal Twitter account: https://twitter.com/tsuki_akari
Here is his personal blog: http://blog.goo.ne.jp/mizshima1941
Oct 10, 2014 12:36 AM

Oct 2014
that was damn fast paced episode
i could barely keep up
i only remember 2 names the MC ..:*)
Oct 10, 2014 2:04 AM

Jan 2011
Respect for what I love.
Oct 10, 2014 2:25 AM
Oct 10, 2014 2:35 AM

Oct 2012
^ I tried to view that YouTube video here in Canada. Unfortunately, I was told that,
"This video contains content from Kadokawa, who has blocked it on copyright
grounds."

The title is "Initial Bako". What is it about?
Oct 10, 2014 2:55 AM
Jul 2018
Yeah the premise is very interesting. We watch anime everyday, we outta know how it's made. :)
The only thing I don't like is how fast paced the episode feels. Hope they can relax a bit from now on.
Oct 10, 2014 3:21 AM

Mar 2013
the number of characters is too damn high
Oct 10, 2014 3:31 AM

May 2009
I love how meta this anime is. Fat director is Mizushima himself

and seiyuus are Ai Kayano, Mai Nakahara and Shizuka Itou
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Does Shirobako get any better?

terryacer - May 7, 2018

26 by oooo3333 »»
Mar 25, 1:49 PM

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2015

286 by oooo3333 »»
Mar 25, 1:36 PM

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 6, 2014

138 by MajedM1999 »»
Mar 12, 2:17 PM

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 30, 2014

115 by MajedM1999 »»
Mar 11, 3:47 AM

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 16, 2014

165 by MajedM1999 »»
Mar 6, 2:57 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.