Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 2, 2009 11:02 PM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Love how everything explodes in Ryo's world. Too bad for Makimura :<
Jun 7, 2011 11:51 AM

Jun 2009
I...didn't like this episode as much as I probably should have. It felt sloppy, kind of rushed...and cheesy.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Oct 19, 2012 5:06 AM

Jan 2012
This was so sad :( I thought that being episodic, this series wouldn't have some game changer, but man was I wrong. Well now I understand why there's 2 main characters listed
Oct 29, 2012 5:17 PM

Jan 2012
gonna put on hold for now...

The show is enjoyable but all the plot holes and poor execution made it a bit overrrated.
Feb 12, 2013 2:48 PM

Oct 2009
I liked Makimura. It's a pity he died.
Aug 17, 2013 3:22 PM

Sep 2011
not gonna lie, this was terrible. everything felt so forced and it was just all so preventable, like if ryo knew things would go wrong why did he just give him a gun rather than cover him, why did they just stand around without shooting, what was the point of that stripper girl

I hope it gets better cause this was so poorly executed

Also ryo was funny at first but hes turning to much into a 1 dimensional repeating characters

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Oct 16, 2013 1:35 PM

Oct 2009
Yes this was done pretty bad..should have made it 2 episodes, to at least give Makimura and Kaori some development. It went by way too fast, didn't feel tragic and dark as it should have :(
Jan 25, 2015 10:04 AM

Feb 2008
It would have been better if Makimura actually had a bigger role in the previous episode, aside from appearing here and there. This way his death wasn't as tragic as it's simply a plot device to introduce Kaori to the team. I still liked the episode.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Jan 31, 2015 1:35 PM

Apr 2012
Rest in peace Makimura, you will be missed.
Mar 30, 2015 3:26 PM

Jul 2014
This was unexpectedly bad. They wasted a good episode with a really bad execution. Especially the dull reactions of the characters.
Still I'm enjoying the series so far. Probably this is just an odd episode.
Jul 12, 2015 8:06 PM

Jul 2011
Terrible execution. Though they probably just needed Makimura out of the way so Kaori can take over as sidekick.

What was the point of the girl in blue? To glorify Ryo and justify him killing the syndicate?

And a shot to gun barrel. Ryo's practically superhuman lol.
Apr 12, 2016 4:17 AM

Oct 2014
Only when I am starting to like Makimura they kill him off. Wow that was so not enjoyable. :/

I get the bad foreshadowing of raining and death but seriously I could've cared more for the character if I get to know them a bit more. Apart from the cheesy dialogues I am hoping a bit more! :(

Well atleast. I can say Ryo Saeba gave his partner a departing kiss <3 XD
I don't know why people write that they are approachable persons,
if you were you wouldn't be on MAL.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extended families or lovers on MAL are a farce.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jul 5, 2016 2:22 AM

Feb 2014
"Goodbye Makimura: A Tearful Birthday on a Rainy Night"
Way to spoil the entire episode right off the bat. What's with anime and their lazy and unimaginative episode titles?

And yes, didn't feel anything during this episode. The dialogue were sloppy and poorly written, the voice acting was flat and emotionless, and the episode itself was too rushed.
Sep 26, 2016 8:08 AM

Sep 2012
I agree with everyone before. It felt so bad and expected and yeah... they could have done this more dramatic.
Trying to watch all available anime series so you won't have to anymore, the list of anime I can recommend is still in progress, tho
Jan 17, 2017 4:03 AM

Jul 2015
This episode was bad, awful direction.
Jan 27, 2017 7:41 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Was enjoying the anime so far but boi that episode was bad.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

May 2, 2018 2:25 AM

Dec 2015
Hum... guys... Makimura existed only to introduce Kaori who wzs planned from the beginning, and to start the drug cartel intrigue where she would join Ryo first in order to take her revenge (where did that part go?!).
The last words scene itself was totally okay, All this was just the perturbation element/trigger, it's not because it's dramatic for the characters that it is supposed to be for us.

No Angel Dust(drug) usage, no blood...
And the anime clearly makes a priority of reducing Ryo's comedy side to the dumbest kiddiest possible level.

2/5 The revenge against Teope/Pegasus is already completed?! Way to spoil nine chapters of content.

@Fayrin

Also, that's what you get when someone decides it's better to jump from some key scene to another one in order to cram 9 chapters of a comic.

@Rayl1ght This was supposed to be seen by children too, just like the manga. (but yes, they removed quantities of blood this time)
Makimura's specter looms over the series.

@mshea1213 The reactions are mostly due to the false impression that a character (even a key/object character like Makimura) has to inspire emotions directly to the consumer.
Rei_IIIFeb 24, 2019 8:00 PM
Nov 28, 2018 4:25 PM

Sep 2011
Makimura died, but he didn't sell his soul to the devil. His last moments in Ryou's arms were great too, with him asking Ryou to do one last job, and Ryou saying that the payment would be all of the memories that would be forever etched on his heart.

I'm a bit surprised that Kaori isn't Makimura's 'real' sister though, but since he wasn't able to tell her the truth, and Ryou didn't dare to, this emotional reveal is going to wait for now. I didn't like how things went when Ryou told Kaori that her brother was killed though. He was like: "Hey, your brother is dead, here is a briefcase full of money, take it, and go far away forever", and then she was like: "Lol, no, I'm going to be your new partner." I mean, it wasn't terribly bad, but it wasn't moving or poignant, just crude, and lackluster. Let's see how they function as a duo now.
Feb 10, 2019 3:04 AM

Oct 2012
Accepting the job, get out safely, then kick the deal could be an option
Awww, not what I expected from this episode.. too early to die :(
I forgot 80-90's anime doesn't really like blood for the sake of children that accidentally stumbled upon it.. maybe?

It didn't sit well with me, where they just leave it like that when Makimura died like that
They're probably going to forget on the next episode

Just when I'm starting to feel "chemistry" with him & Ryou.. I'll miss him :(
Rayl1ghtFeb 19, 2019 12:04 AM
"Signature removed"
Feb 24, 2019 7:19 PM

Jul 2016
Little surprised from people's reactions.. personally, I loved this episode! I agree that was cheesy and a little over the top, but seeing Ryou avenge Makimura was entertaining. The music was a perfect touch, too.

What did annoy me was the lack of blood.. I mean, I don't even think twice about certain details like that.. but damn, it really needed that effect.
Sep 10, 2019 9:08 AM

Aug 2012
Makimura ;-; Why? ;-;
Nov 6, 2019 3:32 PM

Nov 2016
Retrospectively and taking the cover and opening into account, it had to play out like this. Still caught me off guard. I thought Makimura may fall into the backround, but him dying? Damn.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 20, 2019 9:41 PM

Jan 2015
Sorry I don't care about Makimura.
But why dancer girl die, I love this girl.

Dec 16, 2019 6:34 PM
Feb 2018
I felt that as much as I still liked the episode, some things could of been done much better. I felt that Makimura didn't get enough development with only being alive for the first 5 episodes of this big series. There could of been lots of development between him and his sister if they had allowed for Makimura to survive and continue on in the series for atleast a while, not 5 episodes. His death felt rushed, aswell as the General's death. This could of spread out into a few episodes. Maybe they could of had the General of the crime Sydicate could of been the person Ryo could of been after for a few episodes for an arc but I guess not. Also felt like the emotional aspect felt forced and awkward, no one seemed to be that upset. Still, 3.5-4/5 for me.
Feb 15, 2020 12:36 PM
May 2015
This is supposedly the most famous episode of the show. While in some instances I can see why, I think Makimura was too straight a guy to live and so he had to be removed so Kaori would (more effectively) be Ryo's new partner.
Sep 8, 2020 1:39 PM

May 2016
FMmatron said:
Retrospectively and taking the cover and opening into account, it had to play out like this. Still caught me off guard. I thought Makimura may fall into the backround, but him dying? Damn.
Really sudden death kinda unnecessary and maybe not, since the aim is for Kaori to join the duo but still DAMN.
Dec 23, 2020 4:52 PM

May 2018
This was nowhere near as dramatic as I thought it would be.

No tears. No mourning. It's just: "Yeah. He's dead. Here's some money."

Makimura deserved better!

"Are you intoxicated, or just insane?"
Mar 13, 2021 6:47 PM
Jul 2018
Vhailor said:
Way to spoil the entire episode right off the bat. What's with anime and their lazy and unimaginative episode titles?

And yes, didn't feel anything during this episode. The dialogue were sloppy and poorly written, the voice acting was flat and emotionless, and the episode itself was too rushed.

If I had to be honest, it wasn't the most well executed episode of the series. It was pretty rushed and I can't really say that I felt anything for Makimura. But nonetheless, I liked seeing a different side to Ryo aside from being the goofball skirt chaser.
Sep 18, 2021 12:51 PM

Apr 2018
TheFireNinja said:
Vhailor said:

If I had to be honest, it wasn't the most well executed episode of the series. It was pretty rushed and I can't really say that I felt anything for Makimura. But nonetheless, I liked seeing a different side to Ryo aside from being the goofball skirt chaser.
Yeah, the pacing is kinda messed up, they killed him like he was nothing, like some nobody died.

Dec 12, 2021 12:25 AM

Jun 2010
I couldn't stop thinking about how this was just a way to ditch the boring male sidekick and replace him with a hot lady instead.
Dec 28, 2021 6:35 AM

Nov 2017
Poor Makimura! :-/ &++ just when I started warming up to him too!
Oct 2, 2022 11:22 PM
Aug 2020
0-100 so quick bruh
May 19, 2023 4:14 AM

Sep 2018
Was not expecting her Brother to die like that lol, she took that pretty well and the scene that followed felt very alien and cheesy. Brother was a simple plot device in the end lol

I see this show as more of a comedy, rather than a serious drama, kind of in the same vein as Dirty Pair. As far as womanizers go, Ryo has to be one of the funniest.

More topics from this board

Poll: » City Hunter Episode 2 Discussion

aero - Sep 17, 2009

20 by Fortress_Maximus »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » City Hunter Episode 48 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Mar 17, 2012

11 by ANDy342 »»
Today, 8:18 AM

» When does the main plot start?

DigiCat - Jan 31

4 by leekyg »»
Feb 25, 5:02 AM

Poll: » City Hunter Episode 43 Discussion

EZSPECIAL - Dec 4, 2012

9 by ANDy342 »»
Dec 13, 2023 11:55 PM

Poll: » City Hunter Episode 3 Discussion

aero - Sep 18, 2009

16 by bubba460z »»
Nov 23, 2023 12:03 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.