Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Oct 9, 2014 4:53 PM

May 2012
Thats really good 1st episode. I will definitely continue watching it.
Oct 9, 2014 5:49 PM

Mar 2013
Alright.
As gay as this might sound, I'll only be watching this show for Hak
Oct 9, 2014 6:15 PM

Jun 2010
Nice stuff, this season really has a thing for back-stabbing, not that I mind.

so this is gonna be a shoujo One Piece or something. accumulate a crew and become Pirate King . . . *cough* Empress.

Just hope the princess doesn't end up a prodigy archer cuz you don't just go from a zero to a hero in weapons usage overnight. Especially not with the bow, this ish is hard as Faq to master

Shout out to the king (R.I.P) for dying with swegg. he didn't even scream, just took it like a champ.
<--- Who Your Waifus Look Up To --->
Oct 9, 2014 6:23 PM

Jul 2014
TragicRomance said:
tho I don't get why there was no music in the OP

There's music, so I think you mean vocals.
Oct 9, 2014 6:54 PM

Jun 2012
Mizuho Kusanagi is the writer of this manga. Her name is like the main female character of Please! Teacher, Mizuho Kazami-Kusanagi. She was married to Kei. Any chance she is connected with Please! Teacher?
Oct 9, 2014 7:28 PM

Jul 2010
I actually really enjoyed that. When I saw the OP and the reverse harem feel, I started to lose interest, but the show definitely redeemed itself with this solid first episode.

Hak is so hot. My OTP.
Oct 9, 2014 8:19 PM

Jul 2012
LonelyWizard said:
mayukachan said:

I found it rather surprising. I was expecting his character to die and that would give her a reason to fight. (as a non-manga reader lol)
Well,how should i say.He was too perfect,and the way her father act around Soo-Won also give a lot of hints...Even Hak x Soo-Won duelling with bows and stuff,it was obvious there was going to be a rivalry(also non-manga reader here)...But in a normal peaceful rivalry Hak would lose %100 so that thing happened...

It's common in shoujo/reverse harem to have the nice guy but yeah I didn't think that the father being cautious of Soo-Won was significant until later. xD
Oct 9, 2014 9:55 PM

Aug 2013
Well this looks interesting.
Oct 10, 2014 12:18 PM

Jun 2008
Anyone who called Yona weak and useless...lol. You should never underestimate a betrayed woman.

ワンダーランド花 ♥

Oct 10, 2014 1:11 PM

Oct 2010
Kinda disappointed actually. I was looking for something more serious. But it still wasn't bas, the animation is really nice, music from the opening is fabulous (but the animation in the OP doesn't feel good at all, at least for me) and Hak is the character I was searching for. Ahh. Will watch more of this series :)
Oct 10, 2014 1:16 PM

Oct 2012
Hmm... the princess sure was naive and annoying and all that love talk didn't really fit this type of show.

But I think it was intentional to show this contrast as from now on she will be on the run and put into many dangerous situations (I hope). Her habits and priorities needs to change.

I just hope this won't be one of many cookie cutter shoujo.
Oct 10, 2014 1:26 PM

Aug 2013
I enjoyed this episode. The animation was beautiful. Yona didn't annoy me at all. Maybe it's because I am little spoiled myself.

Since I read the synopsis, I already knew about the betrayal. I am excited to see more.
PoeticJustice said:
nigga i am black, do you think my ass would fit in? "Oh look it is negro kun." Hell no.
Oct 10, 2014 3:58 PM

May 2012
Ugh! I regret reading that synopsis now. :| But man that Soo-Won! Sneaky bastard! >.<

I really like the animation though and Yona was a tad bit annoying but what else can you expect from a spoiled princess.

Cant wait for more!
""You think you're special? You're not. Everyone lies, everyone hides things...
Nobody makes it through this life being completely honest."
- Izaya

Oct 10, 2014 4:15 PM

Jan 2014
Niteshade said:
Ugh! I regret reading that synopsis now. :| But man that Soo-Won! Sneaky bastard! >.<
LOL,it writes on synopsis? :I now im glad i never read synopsis...
Oct 10, 2014 11:39 PM

Jan 2014
Oh that OP, goes perfectly well with the current setting of the show. Even if I didn't like the series, I would've kept watching just for the OP alone

I'm excited as to when Yona begins training using the bow, and how she will begin to assemble a group who will fight against Soo-Won. Initially wasn't sure of the storyline but picked it up solely due to the setting of the time period. At first thought, this was going to be a bout a Princess running away from marriage and going off on a adventure with her crew made up of loyalists, but I guess this has taken a darker path by assassinating the royal family instead.

Excited for the first episode, and look forward to see how Yona and Hak will look to get out of their current situation

Oct 11, 2014 12:03 AM

Jul 2008
Loved the end part when things got serious, it's like the show jump from graceful to darkness :D
Oct 11, 2014 11:23 AM
Dec 2010
The beginning is good, as it was in the manga. Too bad manga was getting worse and worse over time... i fear that anime will go downhill as well.
Oct 11, 2014 12:53 PM

Oct 2009
That was pretty nice, I really like the vibe and the setting, while the characters are somewhat generic I like them. It was pretty predictable that Soo-Won was gonna kill the king at some point though.

Great OP as well, I wish there were more shows with similar settings nowadays.
Oct 11, 2014 2:06 PM
Jul 2018
Not bad, not bad at all. But not amazing, either.
Beautiful music, and Hak is cool.

And shit got real at the end of the ep.! XD Although it was really predictable! !
Oct 11, 2014 4:17 PM

Feb 2013
Reverse harem?

Not too bad nonetheless. Got some nice action going there and plots, so much plots, enough to get me to the edge of my seat.
Oct 11, 2014 4:54 PM

Apr 2014
NOOOOO, why did Soowon have to be a bad psycho ugh that ruined my vision. Oh well.
Oct 12, 2014 6:02 AM

Jun 2014
It was good, I didn't expect the episode to end this way! I knew something was up with Soo-Won, he was way too perfect.

The art, OP & ED were amazing, I watched this episode outta the blue & I don't regret it at all. Also, it reminded me of Hanasakeru Seishounen, another Studio Pierrot anime.
babymimiOct 12, 2014 6:06 AM
Oct 12, 2014 8:55 AM

May 2011
Having that intro let me know things wouldn't go well but I wasn't prepared for such a dark beginning. I guess that was his plan B since the King said no to their engagement. Good animation and action IMO.

I don't know much about signatures but I think they're cool.

Hope you're having a nice day.
Oct 12, 2014 1:43 PM

Aug 2013
Well, that sure is one way to break a friendship. Soo-Won ain't gonna let you swoon for him.. Ok, that was a lame pun

We now know how the romance is gonna develop. I mean, I think they made it pretty clear that it will not develop between Soo-Won and Yona (I found him annoying by the start). Since the bodyguard and Yona doesn't seem to have feelings for each other, it will be interresting to see how it progress.

I wanna see him sweep halberd more! It's such a nice weapon to see in action :3
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Oct 13, 2014 2:37 PM

Jul 2013
I'm sort of self-conflicted that the opening had no lyrics. It's not the usual type and it wasn't that good but it had its own vibe and I felt like I was watching a legitimate j or k-drama.

Pretty predictable first episode but not bad. Animation and sound aren't bad but not great as well. Pretty average but I will be looking forward to it.
Oct 13, 2014 7:43 PM

Jul 2014
HybridMBL said:
Decent start but when compared to the other 2 Fantasy shows airing this season, I can't help but think how generic the package is

what are the other 2 fantasy shows???
Shirayuki= Most Perfect Female MC ever
Oct 14, 2014 5:31 AM

Dec 2013
I always had a feeling about that guy. Specially after her confession.
Oct 14, 2014 6:14 AM

Jan 2014
abyss333 said:
HybridMBL said:
Decent start but when compared to the other 2 Fantasy shows airing this season, I can't help but think how generic the package is

Madan no Ou to Vanadis,Donten ni Warau?
Oct 14, 2014 6:18 AM

May 2014
It looks pretty interesting. I'm looking forward to the next episode.

So the reason Yona can't marry Soo-Won is because it might be dangerous for him and her father doesn't want to see his nephew in danger, am I right? Well, at least that was the reason before Soo-Won kills the king and threaten Yona.
Oct 14, 2014 10:03 AM

Jul 2009
I liked the song, well it was obvious that Soo-won would turn into the bad guy, most times is always like that...
Oct 14, 2014 4:03 PM

May 2012
LonelyWizard said:
abyss333 said:

Madan no Ou to Vanadis,Donten ni Warau?

Donten ni Warau is boring

Maybe he is talking about Nanatsu no Taizai
Oct 14, 2014 4:28 PM

Mar 2009
abyss333 said:
HybridMBL said:

Garo and Bahamut, as they are quite unique.
Oct 14, 2014 6:48 PM

Jul 2012
@Above conversation
Isn't this one more like a historical romance?
Oct 14, 2014 8:17 PM

Jan 2014
mayukachan said:
@Above conversation
Yea thats why i didnt get it...What part of Akatsuki no Yona is fantasy so far?
Oct 15, 2014 2:21 AM

Dec 2011
That was a better start than I expected it to be.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Oct 15, 2014 9:17 AM

Sep 2009
I like the kind of relationship Haku and Yona have. I wonder if everything soo won did for Yona was just for show...
Oct 16, 2014 5:21 AM

Oct 2013
YIKES. I didn't expect that ending at all. o_o

That was pretty cool. Looking to be among the upper tier of shit airing this season, at least.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Oct 16, 2014 9:19 AM

Jun 2013
Nasty001 said:
tsubasalover said:

So that's why they were on travel like it was shown in the beginning? ED is nice, too.

Imo, It is more of Korean probably during the Gaya Confederacy, since Soo Won and Son Hak are Korean names.

The setting is clearly heavily influenced by ancient Chinese. the armors, the palace, the weapons too (especially Dao). Although the names do sounds korean but that is because korean names sounds cooler in general than Chinese. Chinese names in English are weird. but yes the series is influenced by both culture so not just one.

my real name is Tak would you say thats korean lol even though i am Chinese

Oct 18, 2014 4:52 AM

Jan 2013
That was surprisingly awesome. Soo-won is one smart bastard it seems. :O
Oct 18, 2014 7:19 PM

Oct 2011
Like it a lot, definetly gonna watch it.
Oct 19, 2014 11:36 AM

Jan 2014
I like the concept. It has potential :)
Oct 21, 2014 8:52 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
LonelyWizard said:
mayukachan said:
@Above conversation
Yea thats why i didnt get it...What part of Akatsuki no Yona is fantasy so far?

But it is fantasy...just not yet :)
tingyOct 21, 2014 8:55 PM
Oct 22, 2014 3:29 PM

Mar 2014
Loved the manga and found out they came out with an anime so I was excited.
Well, the first episode was kinda anti-climatic to me, and the music didn't fit the scenes very well. . .
Also, Yona and Hak's voices aren't quite what I imagined, but comparing it to the manga is pointless - the mangas are almost always better, heh.
Oct 22, 2014 10:07 PM

Dec 2013
Above average animation, no animation derps so far. Art style looks good.

Yona is too childish, that could be a problem for me, also she's always blushing, and i don't like the blushing in this, but that's just a minor complaint.

The pacing felt a bit slow, even though this was a intro ep, things could have been done faster, so i'mma say it's just fine for now.

I like Hak, the comedy was a bit funny, but can get really lame if played too often.

Predictable ending, but i'm glad the plot moved, the first episode is usually the one that should get you hooked, interested in a series, so i'm glad this didn't end calmly.

So, since i'm still worried about what Pierrot did to Tokyo Ghoul, i'm gonna ask: Manga readers, what are you thoughts about this? Did anything got skipped over? Did it felt rushed? Was any character in a place he wasn't supposed to be? Did they change the chronological order of events? Is the character design faithful to the manga?

4/5 to this episode.

P.S: also no lyrics in the Op? That's a bold move, but I don't think this will work out, the only good Op with no lyrics was Gokukoku's.

Decent start,Compared to the other fantasy settings this season, this looks rather weak.
PriestSlayerOct 22, 2014 10:14 PM
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Oct 23, 2014 3:03 PM

Jun 2008
I was a little scared by the shoujo tag to be honest but other that a single annoying opening moment of a shadow dude flopping his frond hair like silly bishounen boys do it was pretty ok.
Hope this will keep about this tone and doesn't become more shoujo than it already is.

Silver4000 said:
Thank god that guy is the vilain, I didn't liked him not even for one secon, it was no surprise.

Lol i felt the same. I immediately thought this guy would try to kill her.

4kicks said:
Well that was kinda stupid of him. Soo-won could have had it all, since he already knew Yona's feelings. All he had to do, would have been to either persuade the king or poison him or something. That way, he could still play the good-guy act right up to the end, and even still have Hak fooled to work for him. But he decided to go the bloody route by stabbing the king, and attempting to kill Yona, all of which makes Hak an enemy (whom has already clearly demonstrated superior skills, like archery). Can't say Soo-won is the sharpest tool in the shed. He's going to get wrecked by Hak and Yona in the end--I can feel it.

Maybe his gay and just couldn't tolerate marrying her lol.

rodac said:
I was kind of expecting the betrayal from the synopsis, but I didn't expect that Soo would also attempt to have the princess executed immediately (standard practice being that he marry her to cement his claim to the throne). As people have said, there must be a reason why he didn't take the easy way to the throne.

But the guy is the kings brother son(at least that's what i got). So if the princess dies then his next in line anyway so there is no reason to use her for marriage.

Shiba- said:
Alright.
As gay as this might sound, I'll only be watching this show for Hak

Wait you want to incert yourself into Hak? Damn that spoiler made it completely gay., lol.
MonadOct 23, 2014 3:28 PM
Nov 1, 2014 7:02 PM

Dec 2012
A really solid set up, just as promising as the previews so far. I actually like slower starts like this since those dramatic shifts have a bigger impact. Given the premise, Yona has a bountiful amount of potential as a character.
Nov 1, 2014 7:15 PM
Oct 2014
This was a beautiful opening episode. Loved the instrumental OP - reminds me of Chinese historical and wuxia films. I hope the gorgeous animation stays consistent through the whole show. Story-wise, I'm okay with the pacing and how the episode ended.

Is it just me or does Soo-won's seiyuu sound so similar here to Kaneki Ken's? On the other hand, Tomoaki Maeno would not have been my first choice to voice Hak, but I have to admit he's doing a pretty good job so far. Go Hak, I'm rooting for you!
Nov 4, 2014 6:53 PM

Nov 2012
I did not expect the introduction to be very boring. It made me think of dropping this halfway through the episode, but I have hopes of a good story that will come after this.
Nov 11, 2014 8:19 PM

Jan 2013
Great first episode, didn't expect that tragedy. I thought it had good romance.
Nov 20, 2014 11:22 PM

Feb 2013
This looks pretty good!

I can already tell I'm going to love this one.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2015

374 by perseii »»
Apr 8, 10:45 PM

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2014

138 by Seraschi »»
Apr 6, 1:42 PM

Poll: » should i keep watching????

Tamar5858 - Jul 31, 2022

20 by BiobulletM »»
Apr 3, 2:21 PM

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Feb 17, 2015

146 by nyaasar »»
Mar 21, 1:00 PM

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 17, 2015

148 by WolfWood37 »»
Feb 9, 1:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.