Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 6, 2014 7:32 PM

Feb 2013
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Pretty interesting movie. I still can't tell if the art style was 2D or 3D, but it was pretty unique nonetheless. The story had some depth and I'm sure a few more watches could uncover some other things the movie dug into.

Was also pretty dark. I noticed some undermining terminology to the mentally challenged (along with fooling the mentally challenged), some inclusion of pedophilia, some negative outlooks on religion, a good amount of cursing, alcoholics, suicides, and daughter beatings. Certainly interesting lol
Oct 12, 2014 2:11 AM

Mar 2013
yeah was a pretty intense movie. The suicide of the daughter surly made the biggest inpact on me since she was kinda the character i rooted for to get a happy ending.

The ending was on the one hand a bit satisfying since the father finally got what he derserves for his rude and idiotic behavior but on the other hand it feels kinda out of character that he suddenly became a believer out of this.. i mean, he was beating the shit out of his daughter allday long and gave a shit about her feelings.. why is he suddenly effected by her death?

And the arstyle was obviously cgi for the most parts. There may have been some drawn backgrounds but the characters were all full cgi.(pretty bad one as well)

I personnally found the scene in the karaoke bar very interesting since it kinda resembles that even the life the daughter was wishing for is just pure hell to her (it just feels like it, obviously the characters didnt say that)
Oct 14, 2014 5:53 PM

Feb 2013
I don't think it was out of character for the main to have a change of heart when you take into account there has been a huge time gap, and that in that whole time gap his daughter has been dead in a way that would likely make him blame himself. That's one of the parts that I saw the message of converting to religion in times of mental instability.

And it isn't too odd for him to be affected by her death. Remember the seen where the priest reads the forged letter from his daughter, and he falls to his knees in tears thinking about his daughter saying that to him (even though he knew it wasn't true).

I guess you could say it was obviously cgi, but some parts at least looked very animated to me. They also did a good job with blending the cgi they had in the characters to make it look like drawings. Like, here's my view on it: They made all the characters in a bad cgi program, then drew over the outlines and that became the movie. That's what it felt like to me.

Yeah, taking that into account plus the fake letter seen makes it seem as though the father was jealous the entire time and wanted unconditional affection from his daughter while making her live a life that isn't better than his own. Maybe he noticed that when the priest reads the fake words from his daughter, I couldn't be sure.
Oct 29, 2014 8:00 PM

Jun 2010
The plotting isn't stellar (it's a bit of a sluggard for more than half the way), but the examination and criticism of the role of religion in people's lives was very interesting, and after the swindler stopped taking up so much screen-time (he's just a device, not a real character, so he is tedious) the quality of the drama got pretty high.

I'm very appreciative of the choice to make the protagonist so difficult. He's just about completely unlikable, his only virtues being tenacity and clarity of vision; even when offered a pretty lie by Sung that makes him weep, he doesn't swallow it. Even the latter collapses in the final scene (one of the better uses of the disjointed epilogue I've seen). That there are terrible consequences for his horrible nature refines this to a fine edge. He's not an unlikely hero, he's a genuinely bad person. Min-chul's deplorable character forces the story to be about its chosen themes rather than about a hero fighting deception.
Feb 21, 2015 11:17 PM

Jan 2013
Damn, what a good movie. Ironic that he's the only true believer out of them all, huh?
Nov 4, 2015 3:58 PM

Jan 2015
It was a great movie. I liked how the drama unfolded.
Nov 20, 2015 12:54 AM

Jun 2015
It's hard to have any of the dark parts of a story stand out if the entire thing is fucked. Dwaejiui Wang was right on the line between dark and comical but Saibi went way over. There's so many more characters and no time to give them proper characterization to justify their actions. So it feels like the movie is being extreme just to be extreme. One less suicide or murder or crazy person would have been appreciated. Maybe the fat kid could go. If you took out the scene with him being harassed by his coworkers(?) and the two times he attacked the main character with a knife, Saibi would be easier to take seriously. I get that he's a result of the church's deception and fits the theme of the movie, but idc.

I still enjoyed Saibi, but was hoping for better since Dwaejiui Wang is one of my favorites.

Oh, and why'd they kill the dog in the beginning? I didn't get that part at all.
5hineNov 20, 2015 1:04 AM
Jan 20, 2018 2:07 PM

Jan 2017
Dramatization, naive characters.
And still, Bill will live on.
He will befriend the next inhabitants of the earth, beings of light who revere him as a god.
And Bill will outlive them all... for millions and millions of years...exploring, learning, living,
until the earth is swallowed beneath his feet.
Until the sun is long since gone.
Until time loses all meaning and the moment comes that he knows only the positions of the stars
and sees them whether his eyes are closed or open.
Until he forgets his name and the place where he'd once come from.
He lives and he lives until all of the lights go out.
Feb 10, 2018 11:34 PM

Oct 2008
Pretty cute little There Will Be Blood rip-off,at least they tried...
Feb 13, 2020 9:29 PM

Sep 2014
I came here because of the k-drama Save Me 2.

« »
đź”® Tojo Nozomi
Washi Washi
Mar 26, 2020 10:50 AM

Apr 2019
Saibi (The Fake, 2013)
Brutally realistic, unsettling thriller that reduced me to despair. A tragedy of Greek proportions driven by two men, an evil con man and a righteous ruffian. This movie looks into a bottomless pit of pain and agony. Dark, darker, saibi. (7/10)

Wow, just wow. I agree with @5hine that one or two less tragic deaths would have left more time for the characters. It still had been a devastating emotional massacre. I've never expected to find this sort of anime, and will definitely look deeper into the director's work.

Jan 24, 2022 8:59 AM

Oct 2017
so over the top & intense
Jun 26, 2022 7:20 AM

Jan 2018
It was alright, but considering I've already watched the 16 episode series that was based on the movie this was mediocre in comparison.
Jan 11, 2:22 PM

Nov 2020
Wait, it's CGI? I thought it was just mediocre animation.
Mar 10, 12:06 PM
Mar 2019
I have never watched an Anime where every character is so unlikable.
It was hard to see any good qualities in any of them.
I could not stop watching though, just to see how it ended.

More topics from this board

» Worth Watching?

dustinator1991 - Jun 25, 2022

2 by bushman66 »»
Mar 20, 6:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.