Forum Settings
Forums
Oct 12, 2014 9:33 PM

YASSlN said:

East coast > West coast for lyfe btw

This. Yeah, never could get into any other regional hip-hop styles; I guess it's because we have some nasty-ass winters here on the East and the city in winter can be a cold and scary place. When that's presented as realistic as can be you get the true lyrical content, I speak in metaphors of course- not actual tracks about winter and snow (no pun.) Cold winds crack and toughen you, it's only logical that it be shown in the writing.
My watch list for anime: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Stonedtanuki

"Let be be finale of seem.
The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream." - Wallace Stevens

Oct 12, 2014 9:41 PM

Stonedtanuki said:
So yeah, I suck, and I'm just bombing this real quick, but I saw the word, 'Hip-Hop,' and I felt compelled.

Tribe Called Quest: Electric Relaxation, Oh My God, Vibes and Stuff, We Got the Jazz.

Nas: New York State of Mind, It Ain't Hard to Tell, One Love.

Wu-Tang: 36 Chambers (the whole album,) GZA's track, Cold World, ODB's track, Brooklyn Zoo, and of course, off of Wu-Tang Forever- Triumph.

To me, this is what I would call Hip-Hop, still to this day. In my opinion, Wu-Tang is the Led Zeppelin of Hip-Hop, this is what I feel is the genre at its' purest form. Oh yeah, I'm like 30, so just take this as an old dude giving some suggestions if you never heard. Dead Prez- Hip-Hop, is pretty sick, too. That bass line, though, plus the lyrical content is good.

BTW, I'm more prone to aggressive punk music from the 70-80's and classic rock, but this is what I really respect in terms of Hip-Hop.

Hip Hop and Raps root can be traced back to punk rock so that makes sense.
~Hime Hime~

Oct 12, 2014 9:42 PM

Fantasee said:
bash107 said:
Kendrick lamar is the king of new york.

^ Never heard of Nas.

Nas hasn't been relevant since the early 2000's.
~Hime Hime~

Oct 12, 2014 10:25 PM

Steezus said:
Fantasee said:

^ Never heard of Nas.

Nas hasn't been relevant since the early 2000's.

Doesn't matter in the slightest. Nas is still the best rapper to come out of New York in its history. (In my opinion, of course.)
Modified by SpaceCad3t, Jun 29, 2015 2:07 AM

Oct 13, 2014 9:41 AM

Stonedtanuki said:
YASSlN said:

East coast > West coast for lyfe btw

This. Yeah, never could get into any other regional hip-hop styles; I guess it's because we have some nasty-ass winters here on the East and the city in winter can be a cold and scary place. When that's presented as realistic as can be you get the true lyrical content, I speak in metaphors of course- not actual tracks about winter and snow (no pun.) Cold winds crack and toughen you, it's only logical that it be shown in the writing.

Not liking Memphis rap is crazy, shit is just straight up demented, ignant, and hilarious at the same time (probably unintentionally, sometimes totally intentional)

Seriously hard not love stuff that has covers like this

Or a mixtape that has a song where they basically just say "Blah".

Oct 13, 2014 12:35 PM

YASSlN said:
Has there been any better hiphop duo than MC Guru & DJ Premier? Eric B & Rakim, Madvillain, Snoop & Dre, Jaylib, Mobb Deep; they just aren't the same like those two (imo at least). Gang Starr has to be one of the most underrated hiphop acts of the past 25 years.

The lack of Outkast in that list make me really sad.
I agree the duos aren't as awesome as back in the days, but they're still some pretty good one. Blu and Exile are quite great, Below the Heaven is one of the best albums of the 00's and Give Me My Flowers While I Can Smell Them was also quite good.

The Doppelgangaz are also quite consistent:

Oct 13, 2014 2:08 PM

The Game will drop Documentary 2 on 15.01.15, same date as 10 years back. I wonder if he'll return to the old Game style in terms of rap and beats or if it'll be OKE style.

Also, love for Tory Lanez. Imo a better version of Drake if you're into these kinds of songs.

Oct 13, 2014 2:44 PM

The Documentary was the first album I ever bought by myself. I saw the cover photo with the lowrider rims and since I was in to cars and lowriders as a kid I wanted it bad. 'Dreams' was incredible.

@Snack Memphis, Houston, New Orleans and other south side stuff is essential for parties, nobody goes as hard as those guys. Chiraq drill rappers maybe, if they try hard lol

Oct 14, 2014 2:31 PM

Oct 15, 2014 3:04 AM
Also hype Em's new album end of the year, hopefully he creates something as great as his shady songs and Rap God, the bars go off.

Oct 16, 2014 1:53 AM

Em is Garbo
~Hime Hime~

Oct 16, 2014 8:05 AM
What this thread needs is some Based God

Oct 16, 2014 10:05 AM

Lil B x Yung Lean would be fun

Would be double fun if Chief Keef and Riff Raff joined those two

Triple fun if cypher

Oct 16, 2014 2:42 PM

YASSlN said:
Lil B x Yung Lean would be fun

Would be double fun if Chief Keef and Riff Raff joined those two

Triple fun if cypher

Yung Lean is a lyrical Savant and JODY HiGHROLLER saved hip hop
~Hime Hime~

Oct 16, 2014 2:43 PM

ScazoN said:
better than your fave

Fredo in the cut that's a scary sight.
~Hime Hime~

Oct 17, 2014 8:21 AM

I was listening to some old Juicy J songs in class today and damn he changed. He still is cool but old Juicy J was gold

Oct 17, 2014 9:00 AM

geeze people, edit your posts

Sigh.

Here's a hiphop thread:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=539034&show=0

This thread is seriously lacking.

Try Kool Keith, King Geedorah, Kuttsurikai, Shing02, Tribe, and DJ Krush.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Oct 17, 2014 9:09 AM

^This one is more active

And there sure is a whole lot more lacking tbh lol.. It's just that current hiphop is getting discussed more in this thread and there is nothing wrong with that.

Oct 17, 2014 9:16 AM
Kool Keith as Dr. Octagon lol, but that debut album is awesome

Oct 18, 2014 1:56 PM

GENERAL HIP HOP DISCUSSION SO HERE'S A POST ABOUT THE SHIT I'M HYPE FOR AND THE SHIT I'M LISTENING TO RA' NA!!!

I can't wait for the new Run The Jewels album; Run The Jewels 2. The singles they dropped go hard.

Deah Grips has finished Jenny Death. It's only a matter of time before it's released. I have high hopes for it, considering it will be the last thing we get from Death Grips :(((

Flatbush Zombies and The Underachievers just dropped a collab mixtape called Clockwork Inidigo. Pretty much EVERY TRACK IS FIRE!!!

Also Ghostface Killah and BADBADNOTGOOD dropped a new single, called Gunshowers, from their new collab album which will be dropping in February; titled Taken From Sour Soul.

I'm hyped for this new Joey Bada$$ album. His bars are on another level and Christ Conscious might be the best music video of 2014.

I was extremely disappointed with that new Childish Gambino EP and mixtape; STN MTN//KAUAI. On STN MTN production was low, DJ Drama was screaming all over it, and he just imitated all of southern hiphop! Kauai was a bit better but still nothing too great....and he put Jaden Smith on it, who just put out one of the worst songs of the year.

I THINK THAT'S IT FOR NOW YA GOONS, I'M PROBABLY FORGETTING SOMETHING BUT I DON'T YOU PEOPLE CARE ANYWAYS. WE OUCHEA!!1

Oct 18, 2014 2:49 PM

Under Pressure leaked yesterday and imo is Logic's best project so far.
8.25/10 for the album, Nice progression from Logic, Insane production and overall a lot of good songs

Songs that really stood out on the album for me are Till The End, Gang Related and Soul Food.

Oct 20, 2014 3:15 PM

lmao at Anonymous forcing Atlantic Records to release Lupe's new album.

Oct 20, 2014 3:24 PM
Been listening to a lot of STEEZ.

Oct 20, 2014 5:19 PM

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Oct 20, 2014 5:23 PM
Deserada said:
geeze people, edit your posts

Sigh.

Here's a hiphop thread:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=539034&show=0

This thread is seriously lacking.

Try Kool Keith, King Geedorah, Kuttsurikai, Shing02, Tribe, and DJ Krush.
Sorry but Kendrick Lamar (as popular as he is) is better than all those you mentioned, i'd discuss about kendrick all day and this thread would be decent enough.

Oct 22, 2014 3:21 PM

Two years ago Kendrick Lamar released one of the GOAT Hip Hop Albums Good Kid Mad City,
How time flies.

Oct 23, 2014 6:54 AM
hip hop used to be so good until it these fake guys started coming in and talking about money they don't get, guns they don't shoot and women they don't get.
'The way of the wang is long...and hard'

Oct 23, 2014 7:03 AM
LashLethal said:
hip hop used to be so good until it these fake guys started coming in and talking about money they don't get, guns they don't shoot and women they don't get.
List these "fakes".

Oct 23, 2014 7:06 AM
A hip hop thread can't be a hip hop thread without 2Pac

and Charles Hamilton

Oct 23, 2014 8:11 AM

LashLethal said:

LOL, they were always there.

Oct 23, 2014 8:23 AM

Oct 23, 2014 9:19 AM
no mobb deep? also lamar is average imo

Oct 23, 2014 10:59 AM
i'm not the biggest fan of hip hop but i really like these guys for some reason

I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking "did he fire six shots or only five?" Now to tell you the truth I forgot myself in all this excitement. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow you head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself a question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?

Oct 23, 2014 11:19 AM

Starchaser187 said:
A hip hop thread can't be a hip hop thread without 2Pac

and Charles Hamilton

It's so sad what happened to Charles Hamilton, dude had insane potential but drug addiction and severe mental illness ruined his career.

Oct 23, 2014 11:59 AM

No Insane Clown Posse?

I never really liked 2pac, I hate it when people call him the best rapper ever too because he really isn't imo. I guess west coast stuff never really did it for me, except for some artists (NWA, Madlib, Geto Boyz, Black Hippy i.e.).

Oct 23, 2014 9:53 PM
ScazoN said:
Sorry but Kendrick Lamar (as popular as he is) is better than all those you mentioned, i'd discuss about kendrick all day and this thread would be decent enough.

Fanboy pls

King Geedorah aka MF DOOM is a legend in the game. Technical and intricate rhyme spitter and a genius beat maker/producer.

Study up young nigga.

Oct 23, 2014 10:01 PM
Otoha_Karas7 said:
ScazoN said:

Fanboy pls

King Geedorah aka MF DOOM is a legend in the game. Technical and intricate rhyme spitter and a genius beat maker/producer.

Study up young nigga.
Never heard of them, you know why?
Because im busy following Kendrick and his success to be studying up no-names, lol.

Kendrick has more substance than any rapper right now.

Oct 23, 2014 10:13 PM
ScazoN said:
Never heard of them, you know why?
Because im busy following Kendrick and his success to be studying up no-names, lol.

Kendrick has more substance than any rapper right now.

No, I know why you haven't heard any of them; because you steady riding that mainstream D. And you prove it by just saying Kendrick has more substance than other rappers right now, when you couldn't really be more misinformed. Not saying Kendrick is wack, but he's not what everyone praises him to be. He has some good bars, but he kills it more as a featuring artist rather than on his own music. He won't be able to make something like Good Kid, M.A.A.D City. Only reason why everyone thinks he's so great, is because a lyricist actually broke into the mainstream. Dig deeper into what Hip-Hop can actually offer, and you too will see Kendrick is mediocre as hell.

---------------------
In other news...

Gotta say, once again, it was a good year for Strange Music.

Tech N9ne Collabos: Strangeulation

¡Mayday! x Murs - ¡Mursday!

Ces Cru - Codenname: Ego Stripper

Rittz - Next To Nothing

Also, did anyone pick up Army of the Pharaohs second release this year, Heavy Lies The Crown? Their other release this year was In Death Reborn, which was 9/10, easily.

Oct 23, 2014 10:17 PM
Lol, hate all you want, you are just part of 'those' fans that hate or think Kendrick is mediocre just because he made it in the "mainstream" lane. He hasn't recorded anything in a long time so you can't even be sure what he will bring in the future.

Oct 23, 2014 10:25 PM

Kendrick is one of the few really dope mainstream artists in hip hop right now dont hate

Oct 23, 2014 10:25 PM

Anybody here heard King los's freestyles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLIUYRDf8dA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMoNep7r8GI

the guy is just about in a league of his own

Oct 23, 2014 10:26 PM
ScazoN said:
Lol, hate all you want, you are just part of 'those' fans that hate or think Kendrick is mediocre just because he made it in the "mainstream" lane. He hasn't recorded anything in a long time so you can't even be sure what he will bring in the future.

Yes, that's exactly why I say he is mediocre. And yes, a cute little 16 yr old boy has all the answers and knows everything about Hip-Hop.

You're a joke. Study up and take notes.

Oct 23, 2014 10:27 PM

Imma let you all finish but Kanye is one of the best rapper of all time, of all time! Thank u

I really like lupe fiasco

Oct 23, 2014 10:28 PM
Otoha_Karas7 said:
ScazoN said:

Yes, that's exactly why I say he is mediocre. And yes, a cute little 16 yr old boy has all the answers and knows everything about Hip-Hop.

You're a joke. Study up and take notes.
LOL, so he's mediocre because he's mainstream?

Nice logic. Nice head. Please hate some more.

Oct 23, 2014 10:29 PM
TsukimotoMakoto said:

I do too. Are you looking forward to Tetsuo & Youth?

Oct 23, 2014 10:31 PM

Otoha_Karas7 said:
TsukimotoMakoto said:
I do too. Are you looking forward to Tetsuo & Youth?
hell yeah, ab soul gonna be in it too

Oct 23, 2014 10:32 PM
ScazoN said:

Dude, it was sarcasm. It was as sarcastic as my second remark. So not only do you lack taste, but also reading comprehension? Oh lawdy, it's no wonder you think he's the best around.

Notice how I said he shines more when he's a featured artist rather than on how own work. Just because he hasn't done anything in a while doesn't mean he hasn't been on other tracks. As a Kendrick stan, you should know this.

Oct 23, 2014 10:33 PM
Otoha_Karas7 said:
ScazoN said:

Dude, it was sarcasm. It was as sarcastic as my second remark. So not only do you lack taste, but also reading comprehension? Oh lawdy, it's no wonder you think he's the best around.

Notice how I said he shines more when he's a featured artist rather than on how own work. Just because he hasn't done anything in a while doesn't mean he hasn't been on other tracks. As a Kendrick stan, you should know this.
Anyone who is into Kendrick's shit has great taste.

omg u were sarcastic lol wow im tricked aye, i'd pop the trunk on your ass if we'd ever meet

Oct 23, 2014 10:36 PM

Oct 23, 2014 10:36 PM
TsukimotoMakoto said:
hell yeah, ab soul gonna be in it too

That's what's up. Yeah I heard about it on Lupe's twitter.

Since you also like Lupe Fiasco, do you think Food & Liquor II: The Great American Rap Album, pt. 1 was a diamond in the rust, thanks to the criticism Lasers got? I think people hating on Lasers kinda messed up Lupe's music career. Food & Liquor II still gets plays from me.

Pages (46) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »